PDA

View Full Version : WARNING WELLESLEY ST BUS LIGHT

sAsLEX
3rd August 2004, 19:03
yeah, on way from uni got a ticket, now I miss a lecture by JRs boss kinda gutted about that, for running the bus lane light on wellesly.

Now I questioned officer, well cant even read the handwriting, about bikes being able to use the bus lane to which she replied something like ..."we had a bike through earlier but we just DONT KNOW....ummm yeah still dont know....I will give you the ticket anyways heres is the address you write to to get off..."

I was extremly polite, mind you initially forgot to take off helmet, relised and rectified this when I tried to give my address (which she wrote down incorrect!!). Just quitely sat on the bike while cage after cage was pulled up as well, said thank you and was on my way, with another ticket under my belt.

A few points
1. If police are going to do a crack down should they not be knowledgable about the law that they are inforcing and the local rules and regs?? Spud??

2. If they found out that there was something early on in the sting, could one of them not reached down to their hips/walked the metre to the squad car and radioed for conformation??

3. And cute female officers make the whole process so much better :Police:

tuscan
3rd August 2004, 19:09
Yeah I've been wondering whether its ok to go on the bus light or not.

Ridiculous really, because you try sitting in a bus lane at a red light (where you are allowed to be) with a bus behind you. When that bus light goes, if you don't move forward that bus driver is going to get real pissed off and it will defeat the whole purpose of having the light in the first place... :Police:

Marmoot
3rd August 2004, 19:14
Call the Auckland City Council (it's in the phone book) and ask about it from them, not to forget asking for the phone-answerer's name. That'll be enough for your defense (or downfall).

If the case is about "using bus-lane" and not about the light, go to town hall and pick up a leaflet about bike using bus-lane. That'll be enough for your defense. Good luck, we're counting on you. Don't forget to let us know the result :yes:

jrandom
3rd August 2004, 19:32
yeah, on way from uni got a ticket, now I miss a lecture by JRs boss kinda gutted about that, for running the bus lane light on wellesly.

Eh? Miss it? I thought he was doing it on Friday.

bikes being able to use the bus lane

Bikes can use non-motorway bus lanes. As Marmoot pointed out, you now have the pleasure of going off to find the appropriate council regulations so that you can quote them in your letter. The ticket won't stick; I'm finding it difficult to pick any cosmic usefulness out of the situation :argh:

cute female officers make the whole process so much better :Police:

Yes, I've seen a few around who I wouldn't mind being pulled by. Nudge nudge, wink wink. I wonder if cops are allowed to return calls to phone numbers given to them while on duty by drooling young unattached bikers...

sAsLEX
3rd August 2004, 19:58
ok just spent two minutes research I should be sweet

http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/auckland/transport/busesfirst/bigpicture.asp

and to qoute

"Bus priority lanes
Bus lanes separate buses from other traffic, enabling them to avoid traffic congestion. By using the lanes, buses have shorter journey times and can keep to their timetables. The lanes are clearly marked kerbside lanes, some are coloured green for easy identification. Bus lanes generally operate citybound during the morning traffic peak and outbound during the afternoon traffic peak. Driving, parking or stopping on the lanes is prohibited during the times they operate.

Auckland City bus priority lanes can be used by these vehicles only:

buses (excluding tourist and shuttle buses)
emergency vehicles
bicycles
motorcycles, motor scooters, mopeds
traffic enforcement vehicles.
"end qoute

well that took ages, useless bloody cops, again why I think they need to get a decent kick up the arse! it took me but 1 minute to find that, and they had already pulled a bike before me, a quick call to the station would of found out this info.

But why are our law enforcers :Police: not aware of the law they are enforcing?? Leads me to think if they have the inability to look up simple thing like bus lane rules before going out to ticket people on bus lanes what else they are incapable of???

sAsLEX
3rd August 2004, 19:59
JR was tonight at 1930

jrandom
3rd August 2004, 20:16
JR was tonight at 1930

Oh, right. I wasn't too sure.

Anyway, you already know who to ask if you're vaguely curious about what we do :p

k14
3rd August 2004, 20:34
What a complete fucking joke. Again it just emphasises the fact that they are just out for the money, nothing to do with "road safety." If money wasnt their motive they would have said, umm we aren't sure so we will look it up and post the ticket if you are in the wrong. But no, they give the ticket and hope that the person is too nieve to try to get off and end up paying it.

After you get off write a big complaint to someone high up. How much was it for?

loosebruce
3rd August 2004, 20:47
What a complete fucking joke."road safety." If money wasnt their motive they would have said, umm we aren't sure so we will look it up and post the ticket if you are in the wrong. But no, they give the ticket and hope that the person is too nieve to try to get off and end up paying it.

After you get off write a big complaint to someone high up. How much was it for?

A joke, yes, cops are smart, no. They seem to be putting anyone in cop uniform at the moment, small childern, blind people, monkeys you name it.
As for those highway patrol boys n girls :shake:

Proberly get stung on my way home tonight now for saying that :wacko:

k14
3rd August 2004, 21:13
A joke, yes, cops are smart, no. They seem to be putting anyone in cop uniform at the moment, small childern, blind people, monkeys you name it.
As for those highway patrol boys n girls :shake:

Proberly get stung on my way home tonight now for saying that :wacko:

Yeah, there are some real good cops out there, the ones on this site included, aswell as some i know personally. But some are just completely useless. Wish they would get their facts right before doing stuff like this. Shouldn't they get a repremand or something for this?? Cause it is quite clearly ticketing someone for doing something completly legal. :spudwhat:

Zapf
3rd August 2004, 21:16
Do you know that you are allow to ask the Police under what law and what section you are being given a ticket for. And if they can't remember then they cannot charge you. Just don't behave like a smartass thou.

loosebruce
3rd August 2004, 21:22
Yeah, there are some real good cops out there, the ones on this site included, aswell as some i know personally. But some are just completely useless. Wish they would get their facts right before doing stuff like this. Shouldn't they get a repremand or something for this?? Cause it is quite clearly ticketing someone for doing something completly legal. :spudwhat:

Good cops for sure, infact dare i say, cops in auckland are pretty sweet for the ones i'v had to deal (or more so the ones i stop for) the cops in welly are to hard up for action and just pull you for no reason mainly coz they are bored shitless, up here they seem to have more important things to worry about.
But as far as ticketing someone for something legit, wtf!!!! Makes sense to me to be able to go on the bus light!

sAsLEX
3rd August 2004, 21:24
yeah tried to be real nice as the girl was probally only not much older than me, and as I mentioned before rather cute! and a letter writtten by a blind dsylexic sp?(irony) monkey would be able to get me off this one!!

loosebruce
3rd August 2004, 21:39
yeah tried to be real nice as the girl was probally only not much older than me, and as I mentioned before rather cute! and a letter writtten by a blind dsylexic sp?(irony) monkey would be able to get me off this one!!

Good point on the blind people thing, my experience withthe lady officers are that they aren't all that easy going, kinda like they have something to prove - which they don't, respect is due to any officer.
I'd be confident that you'd get off this one sAsLEX, how much was it btw, was it the usual $150 or some crazy amount, like the $400 i got for not having an L plate years ago, you can buy a lot of L plates for $400.

Marmoot
3rd August 2004, 21:52
But why are our law enforcers :Police: not aware of the law they are enforcing?? Leads me to think if they have the inability to look up simple thing like bus lane rules before going out to ticket people on bus lanes what else they are incapable of???

Maybe because it is a city bylaw, not an actual law :)

sAsLEX
3rd August 2004, 21:53
Maybe because it is a city bylaw, not an actual law :)

but there in this city giving me a ticket for breaking a local bylaw?

Marmoot
3rd August 2004, 22:39
but there in this city giving me a ticket for breaking a local bylaw?

Local bylaw is still law, but might be hard to remember/understand for police officer from outside the area if they happen to be in assigned (temporarily?) there. This might be the case. Although, I might be wrong and it might just be a simply ignorant constable :)

And yes the police can still prosecute anyone breaking local bylaw (e.g., alcohol-ban) since it is still a law.

Hey, look at it this way, you just got a FREE ticket :) :moon:
They don't come too often, you know? :) :) :)
Most of the time you need to pay for it.

bikerboy
4th August 2004, 09:06
What a complete fucking joke. Again it just emphasises the fact that they are just out for the money, nothing to do with "road safety." If money wasnt their motive they would have said, umm we aren't sure so we will look it up and post the ticket if you are in the wrong. But no, they give the ticket and hope that the person is too nieve to try to get off and end up paying it.

Better get prepared for Spud et Co to accuse you of making this up, being guilty of something else, being completely unreasonable, or just plain too soft. Harden up mate, hehe.

Afterall nothing wrong with the poolice "doing their job", whether or not it is legal, logical, justified or even of dubious beneifit. It's not about money, it's not, it's not, it's not! :shifty:

They're out there saving lives you ungrateful, communist bastard. ;)

sAsLEX
4th August 2004, 10:15
hmm, I am thinking that since they have wasted my time through complete incompetence I might just go to court, bugger the letter thing, I want a full write up of the evidnce and law under which I was charged given in court in front of a JP or whoever does it these days!
The charging officer has to attend dont they in a contested sharge?? spud??
I know this is being slightly childish, but the fact tha they found out before I came through of their lack of knowledge about the situation they were monitoring you think they could of rectified this, I wouldn't of minded waiting a few minutes while they were on the radio! Oh and while I was there two tourist buses went through the light!

spudchucka
4th August 2004, 10:26
1. If police are going to do a crack down should they not be knowledgable about the law that they are inforcing and the local rules and regs?? Spud??

Yes and the normal practice is to quote the relevant lehislation on operation orders so that all staff involved have a good working knowledge.

2. If they found out that there was something early on in the sting, could one of them not reached down to their hips/walked the metre to the squad car and radioed for conformation??
Yes. If they find a situation they are not sure of then there a heaps of other cops listening to the radio that might know the answer because they have experienced the same thing before. Otherwise a call to the station or to an Inspector at Comms would have helped.

3. And cute female officers make the whole process so much better :Police:
Go on, admit it, You'd really like to get laid down by the law, wouldn't you??

spudchucka
4th August 2004, 10:30
Do you know that you are allow to ask the Police under what law and what section you are being given a ticket for. And if they can't remember then they cannot charge you. Just don't behave like a smartass thou.
Feel free to ask the Act and Section but if the cop doesn't know it won't stop you being charged. Especially with bloody traffic crap, the cop will know that something is an offence but there are so many of them that you could never know every section, subsection, paragraph etc etc of every Act, its just not practicle.

Your second comment, not being a smartarse, is always a good place to start.

spudchucka
4th August 2004, 10:35
Better get prepared for Spud et Co to accuse you of making this up, being guilty of something else, being completely unreasonable, or just plain too soft. Harden up mate, hehe.
Like I said before, still not quite over it yet huh. Keep going and you could be as bitter and twisted as Lou one day.

Afterall nothing wrong with the poolice "doing their job", whether or not it is legal, logical, justified or even of dubious beneifit. It's not about money, it's not, it's not, it's not! :shifty:
Sometimes its about people being f**kwits and deserving it too.

They're out there saving lives you ungrateful, communist bastard. ;)
Are there commies on this board??? Quick someone notify the poolice.

Devil
4th August 2004, 11:33
Just for shits and giggles I called the Council asking whether or not you can go on the bus light. They had to check with someone else. The answer was in the end that no, you cannot go on the bus light (even they thought this was a bit stupid). So effectively, if you're cruising along a bus lane and the light goes red, get the hell out of the way of any potential buses!

jrandom
4th August 2004, 11:36
Just for shits and giggles I called the Council asking whether or not you can go on the bus light. They had to check with someone else. The answer was in the end that no, you cannot go on the bus light (even they thought this was a bit stupid). So effectively, if you're cruising along a bus lane and the light goes red, get the hell out of the way of any potential buses!

Yes, but does sAsLEX's ticket say "bus light", or "using bus lane"?

Even if it does say "bus light", it's stupid to let the bikes use the lane but not the light and it'd be worth pushing for a rule change from the council.

Devil
4th August 2004, 11:40
Yes, but does sAsLEX's ticket say "bus light", or "using bus lane"?

Even if it does say "bus light", it's stupid to let the bikes use the lane but not the light and it'd be worth pushing for a rule change from the council.
Yeah it is stupid, who do we have to push to try and get it changed?

k14
4th August 2004, 12:13
Sometimes its about people being f**kwits and deserving it too.

Is there a law against that?? What is the fine?? Any demerit points??

Oscar better watch out then.

bikerboy
4th August 2004, 12:14
Feel free to ask the Act and Section but if the cop doesn't know it won't stop you being charged.......the cop will know that something is an offence but there are so many of them that you could never know ever section, subsection, paragraph etc etc of every Act, its just not practicle.

Watch out Saslex, you're about to step on that slippery slope called principle, and we all know where that leads, eh Spud......to bitterness and twistedness. :bash:

Afterall we can't expect someone to know what rules they are enforcing, just a gut feeling that it might possibly maybe sorta be wrong. Yeah that sounds fair and makes sense given the limited intelligence and all. :doh:

Oh btw, a mate who has just started riding saw the bus lane, and two Cops on bikes monitoring traffic, so being extra cautious, asked them if he could use the lane and light. He was told that it was legal to do so.

Consistency and fairness to all. :lol:

sAsLEX
4th August 2004, 13:50
oh and the link states that the 'lanes' are not to be used by tourist buses....and what drove by me while I was being ticketed, yip you guessed it two of these unlawful tourist buses,who didn't get ticketed at all let alone looked at.

So bikes are allowed to use the bus priority lanes but not the lights....goes out to get in front of buses and hold them up on their lights until I get a green then will carry on in the bus priority lane as I am allowed to do!!

wtf that makes no sense that we are allowed to use these lane but not the traffic signals that control them, what stupid fuck thought that up, really, so now I can go and stop buses going on the 'B' lights all over the city by waiting for a green, therefore destroying any point of having the 'B' light in the first place. :mad: :mad:

sAsLEX
4th August 2004, 13:50
oh and ticket was something like not follwing road sign or something to that effect will post copy tonight.

sAsLEX
4th August 2004, 13:55

their own website states that certain types of vehicle are allowed to use the bus prioity lanes, then only refers to buses throughout the rest of the page????

Like fuck I wil move out of my way if I am legally entilled to be there, they can wait! they can hit me if they would like an assualt with a motorvehicle charge :Playnice:

Devil
4th August 2004, 14:00
their own website states that certain types of vehicle are allowed to use the bus prioity lanes, then only refers to buses throughout the rest of the page????

Like fuck I wil move out of my way if I am legally entilled to be there, they can wait! they can hit me if they would like an assualt with a motorvehicle charge :Playnice:
Hmm, bus versus motorbike, let me think about that one. I know which vehicle id rather be on at the time.

sAsLEX
4th August 2004, 18:01
ok, bad news time, but will still fight it.

Bus lanes are controlled by the council and hence they give tickets etc.
The bus light thing is LTSA and therfore local laws are irrellavent with respect to this. Therefore there is no way I can use the new bus priority lane at the lower end of wellesly street unless I go through the amber light, and not the bus light as only buses can use the stupid light meaning that even though I am allowed to drive down that bus only strectch of road the only way I can do it is if I cant slow down saftely for the orange light? Still going to see about this?? A well written letter might, pushing shit uphill with a rake talking logic to police(traffic), get me off. otherwise see to it that the lights get changed so that the lane becomes a true bus priority lane such as was the councils policy.

Marmoot
4th August 2004, 20:20
(First, please forgive me for being so negative)

The situation might be the same as this. Imagine if you want to go left but there is a car wanting to go straight queuing in front of you in a traffic light. The left turn light signals green but the straight light signals red. You are being held up as the front car cannot move (although there might be another lane on the right, this straight-going car happens to be in your lane).
(this is a common problem in Pt. Chev intersection going into Carrington Road from Great North Road)

The bus, then, need to wait behind you if you decide to wait until the "general" light goes green.

Both rules are stupid but they are a fact of life, I guess.
I do really hope they would realize the mistake and change the rule soon before anybody got hurt. :mellow:

On the light of it, if you really fight it well then a good judge might see the point and acquit you based on extenuating circumstances. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst :niceone:

spudchucka
4th August 2004, 20:31
Is there a law against that?? What is the fine?? Any demerit points??

Oscar better watch out then.
It is a determining factor in whether discretion might be appropriate. Thats all.

spudchucka
4th August 2004, 20:33
Watch out Saslex, you're about to step on that slippery slope called principle, and we all know where that leads, eh Spud......to bitterness and twistedness. :bash:
You are becoming the expert on that subject bikerboy.

MikeL
4th August 2004, 21:13
I've been following this thread with interest but have not posted anything because I'm unsure of the exact regulations. The fact that I am now totally confused may simply reflect the fact that senility and copious amounts of alcohol have knocked out billions of my brain cells. On the other hand there is a remote possiblity that nobody else knows what the f*ck is going on with these damned bus lane/light by-laws/regulations/traffic laws or whatever.

I use the Symonds St bus lane from time to time, and at the intersection with Khyber Pass I go on the "B" signal (I hesitated once and got hooted at impatiently by the bus driver behind). I assume that I am entitled to. I don't know. But it seems logical that if I am legally in a bus lane I should proceed on the "B" light... Otherwise I will hold up the traffic...

The new Wellesley St arrangements seem to be in a different category. The road isn't marked as a bus lane, there is no special "B" light. The "Buses Only" sign probably has a different legal status from the green bus lanes and the "B" light. But possibly not. Who knows? I would have thought that someone in either LTSA or Council or the Police should be able to give a definitive ruling. If they are as confused as I am, God help us all.

Devil
5th August 2004, 08:26
I've been following this thread with interest but have not posted anything because I'm unsure of the exact regulations. The fact that I am now totally confused may simply reflect the fact that senility and copious amounts of alcohol have knocked out billions of my brain cells. On the other hand there is a remote possiblity that nobody else knows what the f*ck is going on with these damned bus lane/light by-laws/regulations/traffic laws or whatever.

I use the Symonds St bus lane from time to time, and at the intersection with Khyber Pass I go on the "B" signal (I hesitated once and got hooted at impatiently by the bus driver behind). I assume that I am entitled to. I don't know. But it seems logical that if I am legally in a bus lane I should proceed on the "B" light... Otherwise I will hold up the traffic...

The new Wellesley St arrangements seem to be in a different category. The road isn't marked as a bus lane, there is no special "B" light. The "Buses Only" sign probably has a different legal status from the green bus lanes and the "B" light. But possibly not. Who knows? I would have thought that someone in either LTSA or Council or the Police should be able to give a definitive ruling. If they are as confused as I am, God help us all.
You must have missed my post. I checked with the council. You're not allowed to use the B light.

The Wellesley St one however seems to be one single fuckup. I think there is ONLY a B light, so technically theres no way you can go through even though its a bus only/lane thingy. Unless as mentioned previously you went through the amber, but I dont think you could argue that successfully if you got pinged.

sAsLEX
5th August 2004, 09:18
yeah bus lanes within auckland are available to us, but according to LTSA plonks that write the rules regarding lights they think only buses use these 'bus lanes' but local councils decide who use them!

so the situation is that while legally travelling in an ackl city bus priority lane, if you encounter an illuminated 'B' signal and no corresponding green disc, you must stop and wait for a green disc before you may proceed. Even if you are holding up about seven buses this is the law and you must stick to it! even if it is against common sense/ logic, which of course the LTSA dont have.

After looking at the current draft legislation on the ltsa website it seems that the LTSA has overlooked this fact that bus lanes are open to more than just buses, which can create dangerous circumstances, with the width of buses and their speed, the councils suggestion that while waiting at the light we just move out of the way a little would be suicide.

Devil
5th August 2004, 09:21
the councils suggestion that while waiting at the light we just move out of the way a little would be suicide.
Nah that was my suggestion, eg. If you end up in the situation where you hit the red in a bus lane, get the hell out of there.

sAsLEX
5th August 2004, 09:38
talked at length to a guy who was real helpful at the council yesterday, and that was what he suggested I think you posted it to.

so a question, if this goes to court how much will it cost *if* I lose??

Devil
5th August 2004, 09:41
talked at length to a guy who was real helpful at the council yesterday, and that was what he suggested I think you posted it to.

so a question, if this goes to court how much will it cost *if* I lose??Well. hmm. Personally, if you cant get off it by writing a letter, i'd just pay it and put it behind you. File that in your "What not to do next time" cabinet.

I dont know if the costs would be worth it (sorry cant help you with exactly what they'd be).

sAsLEX
5th August 2004, 09:49
yeah I think that would probally be the best idea, but this has kinda annoyed me so might continue on my crusade.

Since before using the bus lanes I checked on the council website which ok'ed it, along with cops and stuff I asked who said it would be sweet paticular cop even said he would mind if I took off and split my merry way past the traffic. ( was a :scooter: :Police: even), I find it annoying that I have been charged.

Posh Tourer :P
5th August 2004, 10:04
I just use the B lights... If anyone wants to pull me up on it, so be it, write a letter, pay the fine if it doesnt work.

MikeL, not all bus lanes are painted green....I got that from our local council Propaganda publication, City (ob)Scene. So green or not, just use the buggers... I think this came up when people didn't want to wreck the look of Tamaki Dr, but still wanted a bus lane

spudchucka
5th August 2004, 10:57

A fine plus court costs, usually around $130. It'd be worth I reckon, this whole thing sounds like a load of bollocks to me, (you getting the ticket I mean).

Ghost Lemur
5th August 2004, 13:10
Definitely sounds like a mixup that needs to be tested out in court.

They'll either go in your favour, saying you were legally using the lane, therefore you must be able to legally use the light. Otherwise it'll cause problems.

Or they'll say the LTSA has higher ranking than the council, therefore because you aren't allowed to use the lights, the council shouldn't be letting you use the lane.

If you don't mind taking the extra financial risk (court costs), I'd say run with it to the courts. That way you'll be getting a decision one way or another for everyone.

If you just write in and get off, then IMHO it's only as far as you are concerned and does nothing for the other riders who get done later for it.

sAsLEX
5th August 2004, 13:21
A fine plus court costs, usually around $130. It'd be worth I reckon, this whole thing sounds like a load of bollocks to me, (you getting the ticket I mean).

cheers spud, I think that the fact I haven't broken the intention of the LTSA law will help if I go to court, but going to see some legal advice tomorrow anyways.

Coldkiwi
5th August 2004, 18:04
good luck sasalex. Perhaps some of us inner city bikers would be able to help with the costs too given we might get hauled up on it one day?

Actually, LTSA's ideas mean squat because they don't enforce them.... nor do the council... its what the police think that really makes the difference because they're the ones handing out the tickets (and not knowing what law they might be enforcing!)

Zapf
5th August 2004, 18:44
The Police are the LTSA's henchmen.

sAsLex, re the court stuff. Another outcome could be that they see it is a grey area and let you off. Thinking of it I don't think the minor traffic court has the power to rule if you are allow to use the "B" light or not. As it is essentially 3 JP's sitting there wheeling a hammer. I think a ruling might have to come from LTSA. Also, if you ever go to court. They cannot charge you with more than what they have ticketed you for. So u can be assured not to be worse off.

So perhaps you can use the bus lane, but just before you get to the lights you have to sneak back into the normal lanes? that would be one way to comply with that.

Cheers
Zapf

sAsLEX
5th August 2004, 18:51
yeah I am hoping for a grey area call, in this paticular spot there is no alternative to the bus lane.

Took the alternate route home, welll one I made up, and adds like 5-10 mins on to trip!

FROSTY
5th August 2004, 19:11
Dude do what another KB member did and wright em a letter.
Quote the local goverment Bi law word for word and tell them how to access the information.
Explain the logic of your thinking clearly with no emotion.
I can't see any reason at all you shouldn't get let off the ticket.
Possibly explain that as you regularly ride that route you would like the matter cleared up.

k14
5th August 2004, 19:35
The Police are the LTSA's henchmen.

sAsLex, re the court stuff. Another outcome could be that they see it is a grey area and let you off. Thinking of it I don't think the minor traffic court has the power to rule if you are allow to use the "B" light or not. As it is essentially 3 JP's sitting there wheeling a hammer. I think a ruling might have to come from LTSA. Also, if you ever go to court. They cannot charge you with more than what they have ticketed you for. So u can be assured not to be worse off.

So perhaps you can use the bus lane, but just before you get to the lights you have to sneak back into the normal lanes? that would be one way to comply with that.

Cheers
Zapf

They will charge you $130 court costs if you loose. That is ontop of the fine which is $150. So if he goes to court and looses he will be in for $280, if he wins he doesn't have to pay anything.

Some of the things you have said in this thread zapf have been totally wrong, think you better check your sources before you go offering people advice about this stuff.

marty
5th August 2004, 20:45

the fine plus court costs of $130. it is unlikely that youi'll get it turned over on the basis that it is 'unfair' or 'bad law' - it is politicians, not the JP's job to decide when law is wrong, but you may set in motion the waves to get it changed (for the better you would hope - they could just ban EVERYTHNG from the bus lanes except buses......

Lou Girardin
5th August 2004, 21:17
[QUOTE=spudchucka]Like I said before, still not quite over it yet huh. Keep going and you could be as bitter and twisted as Lou one day.
QUOTE]

Obsessed, aren't you, Spudmeister. Never mind, you'll mellow as you get older and things won't upset you so much.

As far as the original point goes, I think there is a difference between be able to use bus lanes and using the bus priority lights. It would pay to investigate the by-law applying to them before you write your letter.

Zapf
5th August 2004, 23:19
the fine plus court costs of $130. it is unlikely that youi'll get it turned over on the basis that it is 'unfair' or 'bad law' - it is politicians, not the JP's job to decide when law is wrong, but you may set in motion the waves to get it changed (for the better you would hope - they could just ban EVERYTHNG from the bus lanes except buses......

But I would also think that is the court's job to balance law and reality. The Judge does have the power to decide what applys and what doesn't, hence the existance of the court system.

It is the job of cops to enforce the law, but not decide what applies or don't. You can effectively say they are the dogs (just an expression) of the law.

Zapf
5th August 2004, 23:23
[QUOTE=spudchucka]Like I said before, still not quite over it yet huh. Keep going and you could be as bitter and twisted as Lou one day.
QUOTE]

Obsessed, aren't you, Spudmeister. Never mind, you'll mellow as you get older and things won't upset you so much.

As far as the original point goes, I think there is a difference between be able to use bus lanes and using the bus priority lights. It would pay to investigate the by-law applying to them before you write your letter.

And that the bus driver has no right to honk at you. They in this case need to understand the bylaw relating bus lanes.

jrandom
5th August 2004, 23:26
You can effectively say they are the dogs (just an expression) of the law.

As in, cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of law?

spudchucka
6th August 2004, 09:40
QUOTE]

Obsessed?? Thats like the pot calling the kettle black.

Mellow as you get older??? It hasn't worked on you.

Posh Tourer :P
6th August 2004, 10:52
:calm: Oi! take it somewhere else.... :calm:

sAsLEX
11th October 2004, 21:06
Fast posted a letter away about two days before the end of the pink notice time and guess what I got off. Now because of the automated resopnse type letter I got I am still unsure of the law regarding the intersection, well I knows what it says but does this mean I can now use it?? Prob not but that will pay for a new front tyre on the XR.

Mr Skid
11th October 2004, 22:11
I've been giving this some thought, and have come up with a different route that looks more fun than the Wellesley St bus lane.

Up Symonds Street, into Welesley street. Watch for suicidal fellow students expecting a bike at full lean to give way. Down past AUT seeing if you can hit the rev limiter before merging into the traffic from motorways.

Fingers crossed for a green light at the left turn onto Mayoral drive - choose right hand lane, corner tightens, attempt to get knee down.

Throw bike onto full right lean to make the hairpin turn into Rutland street, square off corner with throttle if required (note that this is a no right turn, but the sign looks easy to remove, and can't be any worse than riding in the bus lane.)

To suit your purposes on the XR, I'd suggest substituting knee down for sole down, and instead of heading down Rutland street, to head down the stairs at the top of Lorne street :niceone:

MikeL
12th October 2004, 06:51
I've been giving this some thought, and have come up with a different route that looks more fun than the Wellesley St bus lane.

Up Symonds Street, into Welesley street. Watch for suicidal fellow students expecting a bike at full lean to give way. Down past AUT seeing if you can hit the rev limiter before merging into the traffic from motorways.

Fingers crossed for a green light at the left turn onto Mayoral drive - choose right hand lane, corner tightens, attempt to get knee down.

Throw bike onto full right lean to make the hairpin turn into Rutland street, square off corner with throttle if required (note that this is a no right turn, but the sign looks easy to remove, and can't be any worse than riding in the bus lane.)

This is pretty much what I do everyday, apart from the knee down. And I tend to give the no right turn into Rutland a bit more respect than you suggest. I carry on 50m and do a U-turn.

That Guy
12th October 2004, 07:22
I got a ticket recently for riding in a bus lane. The officer at the time was very angry with me and treated me pretty poorly, refusing to even talk to me about the fact that motorcycles were allowd in bus lanes. Nevermind. I wrote a letter to the Police infringement fullas attaching an article from Auckland City council's website saying it was ok to ride in bus lanes on a motorcycle. They waived the fine.

The One
12th October 2004, 15:03
Some of you clowns need to take a look at how the issue-ing of tickets, work.

Yes the Police have a quota to obtain, but all this so-called revenue gathering comes from parliament, because thats where the police get there budget from. Not from the tickets they generate as this all goes into the government slush fund, to pay for their free taxis and trips overseas, the Police see none of this.

So stop bitching about the police writing tickets so they can get money, you numbnuts.

And if you don't like the police and start calling them all sorts of names because you got a ticket, then why did you get one in the 1st place??? huh.

And police don't have the website inside their patrol cars, to quickly look up the internet to find out bylaws, gee some of you are dumb.

So just chill out you idiots who call the police this and that, and take a look at yourselves.

White trash
12th October 2004, 15:07
Good to see you're back.

shame you're still a fuckwit. :Pokey:

The One
12th October 2004, 15:10
Good to see you're back.

shame you're still a fuckwit. :Pokey:

Just following your lead, fucknuckle. You learn from the best, and your number 1.

k14
12th October 2004, 15:15
Just following your lead, fucknuckle. You learn from the best, and your number 1.

So hows the 924 going?? Managed to pass any cop cars doing 320kph recently??

sAsLEX
12th October 2004, 15:16
And if you don't like the police and start calling them all sorts of names because you got a ticket, then why did you get one in the 1st place??? huh.

And police don't have the website inside their patrol cars, to quickly look up the internet to find out bylaws, gee some of you are dumb.

So just chill out you idiots who call the police this and that, and take a look at yourselves.

Welcome back!

I got one because they were unaware of the law they were out to catch people on.

They do maintain radio contact with someone who should know!!!

Can I borrow a mirror?

vifferman
12th October 2004, 15:23
So stop bitching about the police writing tickets so they can get money, you numbnuts.

Your so rude. You donot have to be a narsty man.

White trash
12th October 2004, 15:25
Just following your lead, fucknuckle. You learn from the best, and your number 1. :lol: Got nothing for that.

Good one :2thumbsup

jrandom
12th October 2004, 15:27
So hows the 924 going?? Managed to pass any cop cars doing 320kph recently??

320kph? Bah! I think you mean 205mph, slow boy.

The One
12th October 2004, 15:29
Can I borrow a mirror?

Why is that, do yours break when you look at them.

Yes some police don't know all of the tiny laws that go on, but that is why you have the right to appeal, which i'm sure you will do, just be aware that if you lose then you will pay court cost as well as the original ticket. Im sure you knew that anyway.

Good luck

The One
12th October 2004, 15:32
:lol: Got nothing for that.

Good one :2thumbsup

Wow finally, someone who doesn't take my sludging seriously, yipee!!

Good on ya :headbang:

jrandom
12th October 2004, 15:34
Wow finally, someone who doesn't take my sludging seriously, yipee!!

Got a bike yet?

sAsLEX
12th October 2004, 15:35
Why is that, do yours break when you look at them.

Yes some police don't know all of the tiny laws that go on, but that is why you have the right to appeal, which i'm sure you will do, just be aware that if you lose then you will pay court cost as well as the original ticket. Im sure you knew that anyway.

Good luck

So you read the thread fred??

The One
12th October 2004, 15:36
Got a bike yet?

Yep just brought a brand new zx11-r, it's sooooo O for orsum!

sAsLEX
12th October 2004, 15:37
lets see some verifiable pics then mr 924!

The One
12th October 2004, 15:38
So you read the thread fred??

Aye cap'n, read the 1st 2 pages then went off on a tangent! So thought I would write my shit and get it over and done with for another week or so.

jrandom
12th October 2004, 15:41
Yep just brought a brand new zx11-r, it's sooooo O for orsum!

Hehe, very good. :killingme

Might be a bit slow, though... you should have gone for the '13.

The One
12th October 2004, 15:41
Got a bike yet?

Yep always had one, Honda Fireblade 01 model. Goes like really fast.

jrandom
12th October 2004, 15:43

'Like really fast?' So, not quite really fast. Just akin thereto. Right? As in, it's the thought that counts...

Big Dog
12th October 2004, 15:51
{[}-:? (slightly bored person with goatee raises eye brow smugly)
If you were sure, would you really need to big note?

jrandom
12th October 2004, 15:52
{[}-:? (slightly bored person with goatee raises eye brow smugly)
If you were sure, would you really need to big note?

:blank: <--- 'DON'T FEED THE TROLLS'

Big Dog
12th October 2004, 15:56
:blank: <--- 'DON'T FEED THE TROLLS'
Surely if we can't teach him to tell the truth we are duty bound to at least educate him in the art of lying convincingly over the net. :disapint:

jrandom
12th October 2004, 15:58
Surely if we can't teach him to tell the truth we are duty bound to at least educate him in the art of lying convincingly over the net. :disapint:

He doesn't have any potential.

It's more fun seeing what GoatFood can come up with.

The Pastor
12th October 2004, 16:07

Yes the Police have a quota to obtain, but all this so-called revenue gathering comes from parliament, because thats where the police get there budget from. Not from the tickets they generate as this all goes into the government slush fund, to pay for their free taxis and trips overseas, the Police see none of this.

I agree its true. Every cop thats given me a ticket (save one) has given me a lesser fine than what i deserve. Give the pigs some respect.

Big Dog
12th October 2004, 16:26
I agree its true. Every cop thats given me a ticket (save one) has given me a lesser fine than what i deserve. Give the pigs some respect.
Oh how endearing!
You may wish to reconsider advertising on the internet what bike you are likely to be infringeing on with comments like that!

MikeL
12th October 2004, 19:02
Give the pigs some respect.

Well done. That's one of the funniest lines I've read anywhere on this forum. Truly inspired...

Lou Girardin
12th October 2004, 20:07
Hmmm. Renegade. Bandit. Desperado. He's a kindred spirit.
Calling them pigs is a bit much though.
Although it did remind me of the superb bacon and POTATO hash cakes I had on Sunday.

MikeT
12th October 2004, 20:14
I just figure I can use the 'B' (Bus green Light) is also for 'Bike' excuss. The police officer will be so impressed I can spell and let me off... :2thumbsup

jrandom
13th October 2004, 06:32
Although it did remind me of the superb bacon and POTATO hash cakes I had on Sunday.

Upset tummy later on, potato got chucked?

spudchucka
13th October 2004, 07:30
Upset tummy later on, potato got chucked?
Courtesy laugh: HaHa.

Surely you aren't implying that I make Lou sick??

jrandom
13th October 2004, 07:55
Surely you aren't implying that I make Lou sick??

You *both* seem to have a little trouble digesting each other.

On a related note, will you be at the AMPS sausages-beer-and-test-rides day this Saturday? You really should, you know. You should. Go on. Go on go on go on go on...