PDA

View Full Version : Disc lock - silly question

Busy
29th January 2007, 22:59
I used a strong cable lock for my old bike but as my new bike has fairings I can't chain the front wheel to the frame.
After doing a search on these forums for disc locks I'm going to invest in one, but (and here is the silly question) my bike has twin front discs (single rear) so do I buy two disc locks or just put it on one disc (and hope they dont unbolt that and ride off while still having brakes on the other disc) or stick it on the back disc?
I planned on chaining the back wheel to a steel pole.

gijoe1313
29th January 2007, 23:05
Good question! I think recently there was a thread that showed no matter what you stick on your bike, determined thieves will make off with your prize! :no:

I'm paranoid, on my little ol'Hornet I use a disc lock and a flexible wire lock for the rear as well (and use a reminder cord to ensure no minty moments :o)

Lou Girardin
30th January 2007, 05:49
Disc lock on the rear.
Don't forget the reminder cable.

You could do without the disc lock or any other security precautions and buy a GN250. Easy.

Drum
30th January 2007, 07:14
I put a disk lock on just one of the front disks. Reminder cable over the throttle and hooked over the brake lever.

Two disk locks would just be a pain. If they want your bike, they'll take it. You just need to make it more of a challenge than the bike parked next to it.

pritch
30th January 2007, 07:32
I just saw an ad (in KiwiBiker?) for a lock that fits over the throttle and brake lever. One of those should be difficult to forget...

Busy
30th January 2007, 09:20
Cheers

Yeah I know I can't stop them but making it little bit harder for them could be the difference in finding the baseball bat or a kids toy, I doubt elmo would do much damage, mind you they might hurt themselves laughing so hard.

onearmedbandit
30th January 2007, 09:50
I just saw an ad (in KiwiBiker?) for a lock that fits over the throttle and brake lever. One of those should be difficult to forget...

I've got one of those, locks both the throttle and front brakes, and you are never going to forget it's there!

avgas
30th January 2007, 10:02
get the Xena disc lock with built in alarm - beeps if you move the bike and forget the lock

Gremlin
30th January 2007, 23:41
Called a "Griplock".I know Motomail used to sell them, there are a couple on trademe, and I bought one off I think the guy that makes them (or distributes). As far as I know, they started in NZ.

Can sell for anything from $10 to $100... not bad, but there are vids of pens and the exact same sorta lock... and it err... coming open :shit:

bull
31st January 2007, 08:27
i use disc lock on the rear and try to put it as clost to the caliper as possible - this way if i do for get i havent got enough momentum going to do too much damage - either the bike moves or i had left the disc lock on. DOH! have done it once only and that was the second time i used it - have never done it again since. At home i chain the bike to the steel carport - funnily enough had same issue a couple of days ago of not undoing chain first - made it hte toughest hill start i had ever tried, then realised why i wasnt moving away DOH!

Naki Rat
31st January 2007, 08:40
.... If they want your bike, they'll take it. You just need to make it more of a challenge than the bike parked next to it.

When it comes down to it - Locks only keep out honest people.

vagrant
31st January 2007, 16:16
I use a large staple lock that fits round both fork legs and between the spokes of the front wheel.
Of course it helps if your bike has boot to store the lock when you are riding. Gotta love that fat arsed fireblade:rockon:

Moxy
31st January 2007, 16:36
Disc locks also prevent some random dude from trying to push-ride your bike around the carpark.

I like my disc lock.

scumdog
31st January 2007, 16:42
I've got one of those, locks both the throttle and front brakes, and you are never going to forget it's there!

Serious thief would just cut the cables/hose and push it away to the covered trailer parked nearby......

onearmedbandit
31st January 2007, 18:23
Serious thief would just cut the cables/hose and push it away to the covered trailer parked nearby......

You won't ever stop them, but you can discourage some of them.

Monsterbishi
1st February 2007, 05:46
I use a disclock of the YZF, trick is to get one that is the right size for your bike, and then to park it in a way that not only makes it hard for a thief, but impossible for you to try and ride off with it on.

ie, I always park with my front wheel facing/touching the kerb, and then put the disclock on at the top of the rotor, in front of the caliper so it'll bind the moment the bike is wheeled backwards.

The correct size thing prevents thieves from being able to cut through the lock with things like gas powered bolt cutters, etc, so if the want to get the bike, they'll have to cut through the rotor instead, which will ruin their resale value somewhat, and draw a fair bit of attention in a public place :-)

At home the bikes are parked in front of our three cars, out of sight - out of mind.

stunz
1st February 2007, 09:55
Lock the steering, disc lock on the rf disc and if I park in P*****a or N****e, a great humping chain on the rear. But hey, Nothing a small hiab wouldn't get around.
Of course, having tried to ride off with at least one of these devices on in the past, I now ALWAYS remember its there. No need for alarms or anyfink.

dawnrazor
2nd February 2007, 17:59
Disc locks are generally useless, alot of the cheap one can be opened with a 'BIC' biro, seriously....not worth the money to be honest, they aint going to stop anyone, even the ones that have an alarm built in........but they do come in pretty colours which look important :yes:

dawnrazor
2nd February 2007, 18:15
oh and this is a BIC biro

Disco Dan
2nd February 2007, 18:16
oh and this is a BIC biro

oh is it? so whats a disc lock look like then? :innocent:

dawnrazor
2nd February 2007, 18:23
oh is it? so whats a disc lock look like then? :innocent:

Do you want a clip around the ear?

Monsterbishi
2nd February 2007, 18:24
Disc locks are generally useless, alot of the cheap one can be opened with a 'BIC' biro, seriously....not worth the money to be honest, they aint going to stop anyone, even the ones that have an alarm built in........but they do come in pretty colours which look important :yes:

That's only if they have a cheap barrel lock fitted, most manufacturers have changed their locks since that biro episode a few years ago, and the same argument appplies to any lock of that type, not just disclocks.

Any security method is just a deterrant, to stop 'thieves of opportunity' who are just out for either a joyride, a quick buck selling a bike cheap, etc - a determined/career thief will get your ride regardless, but what you're saying is that people should make it as easy as possible for them as well as your average screwdriver bandit - that's stupid.

dawnrazor
2nd February 2007, 18:30
That's only if they have a cheap barrel lock fitted, most manufacturers have changed their locks since that biro episode a few years ago, and the same argument appplies to any lock of that type, not just disclocks.

Any security method is just a deterrant, to stop 'thieves of opportunity' who are just out for either a joyride, a quick buck selling a bike cheap, etc - a determined/career thief will get your ride regardless, but what you're saying is that people should make it as easy as possible for them as well as your average screwdriver bandit - that's stupid.

No that not what I'm saying...in fact the opposite...GET BETTER PROTECTION then just a simple disc lock is what I mean...chains , alarms, ground anchors, datatag, more alarms, garages, pitbulls........ But don't expect a Disc lock to do much is all I'm saying:yes:

Disco Dan
2nd February 2007, 18:43
No that not what I'm saying...in fact the opposite...GET BETTER PROTECTION then just a simple disc lock is what I mean...chains , alarms, ground anchors, datatag, more alarms, garages, pitbulls........ But don't expect a Disc lock to do much is all I'm saying:yes:

yeah i used to spend ages each night chaining my bike up in the garage... one day I happend to look up and notice my extra large heavy duty bolt cutters sitting in the corner... hmm.. they arent there anymore...

but in terms of bike security.. have a think about how many tools you have sitting in your garage that could make quick work of your security measures... angle grinders, bolt cutters etc etc...

dawnrazor
2nd February 2007, 20:59
yeah i used to spend ages each night chaining my bike up in the garage... one day I happend to look up and notice my extra large heavy duty bolt cutters sitting in the corner... hmm.. they arent there anymore...

but in terms of bike security.. have a think about how many tools you have sitting in your garage that could make quick work of your security measures... angle grinders, bolt cutters etc etc...

the only things in my garage are the bike and the cage - and thats a tight squeeze as it is