PDA

View Full Version : 1983 honda rs250 poor spark,help needed at wits end,no its not an address

pursangmk2
30th January 2007, 06:28
can someone please help.have recently put a 250 electric stert rs honda engine in a condor rolling chassis as i needed 350 ducati motor for race project this season.went in ok on trying to start found it had a very weak spark would not spark at plug only if plug lead held to engine case and then white and weak,have taken components from another kick start rs and changed them one by one,cdi unit, regulator,coil,have tested stator for continuity its ok and also to earth no continuity so ok,all other electrical circuits are working fine,battery fully charged have taken another earth lead to engine case help as i dont know what to do next.
thanks.
pete.

Motu
30th January 2007, 08:05
White is still good,red or orange is weak.How far will it jump? What are the the resistances on your coils?

xwhatsit
30th January 2007, 10:45
I've got one of 'em, and apparently the standard coils shit themselves very frequently. Sure the other coil isn't stuffed either? I've got a Haynes manual somewhere with resistance values for the coil, and how to check it with a multimeter -- would you like me to go and look it up?

pursangmk2
30th January 2007, 23:15
White is still good,red or orange is weak.How far will it jump? What are the the resistances on your coils?

Thanks for reply,will not spark on a plug,end of ht lead to earth will only jump .5mm,resistance on coils testing between three yellow leads from alternator just get continuety,to eath clear.on regulator +probe to green res on yellows 1=1061 2=998 3=1073,- probe to green no reading

pursangmk2
30th January 2007, 23:17
I've got one of 'em, and apparently the standard coils shit themselves very frequently. Sure the other coil isn't stuffed either? I've got a Haynes manual somewhere with resistance values for the coil, and how to check it with a multimeter -- would you like me to go and look it up?

yes plese,other coil ok as kick start model has great spark