PDA

View Full Version : Under-taking by cars (or Why Can't They Read What is Happening?)

Bob
3rd August 2004, 20:08
Like all of us on two wheels, if you are taking a corner, you move to the outside of the lane - gives you better vision, smoother line round the corner etc.

So why do car drivers take this as an invitation to come up the inside of you?

Happened today - two lanes, I'm in the outside lane, which is banking right. So I move out to the left for the above reasons - plus I am behind a truck so my visibility is compromised. Next thing I know? The woman in the car behind me accellerates towards the space inside me!

So I move back over, brake, make LOTS of noise with horn (in a tunnel as well, so it is echoing all over the place). She backs off - but not by much (still well within the "two second rule" distance).

So... I slow down. A lot. Like to 20 (in a 50 zone). Until she flicks on the indicator to change lane - after looking rather confused - so I accellerate and leave her standing!

Silly bitch.

Posh Tourer :P
3rd August 2004, 21:59
Yep... happened a lot to me on the little Honda. People felt the need to undertake, even to the point where I was in the left hand wheel track and they still wanted to go up the parking lane on the left :crazy: Less so on the beemer, perhaps cos it looks wider and sounds faster. Still, I got undertaken while doing 60kph, so re-overtook (she was doing 80 - calculate my speed) and sat in front of her for the next 200m to work at 50kph

I now sit closer to the middle of my lane. I must say though, I've never had anyone try to undertake me and sit beside me in a lane. It does annoy me (lots) when people make a move and you are only following a car length behind the next person. What do they think they will gain???

Still, I have to be realistic sometimes. People overtake on the right on a straight, then go bloody slow in the corners, pisses me off, but they pass legally, and I cant really fault them except for not knowing how to corner and perhaps speeding, but I do that too, so....

Two Smoker
3rd August 2004, 22:06
Yeah PT we all know how you go slow around corners :whistle: lol...... But yes, undertakers, generally i dont have anyone pass me.... But if they do it legally, yep no worries, undertake me and you will have me passing you around the outside of a corner whilst im giving you the bird.......

wkid_one
3rd August 2004, 22:15
So why do car drivers take this as an invitation to come up the inside of you?
Ummm... how slow were you going?

3rd August 2004, 22:16
:Oi: I reserve the right to call myself a nana if I want to.... none of that doing it for me business.....

Marmoot
3rd August 2004, 22:44
Someone did that a few days ago. Can't seem to be able to merge properly, I guess. When I was merging in the motorway, this guy decided to speed up (I guess to 120kph) in 80kph zone when I was doing 90, zip past my left side so fast I needed to slam the wheel and ended up on the right hand lane. Almost went to the grass verges.......
I decided to pull up alongside after recovered, and this guy just looked back at me and smirked :gob:

So, I noted down the rego (a bit useless) and his 0800 phone number (he was one of ACE Locksmith van.....remind me not to use those jackasses), and spent the next 2 hours ringing him and saying what an a**hole he was and he'd be better off giving up driving.

Is he by any chance one of KBers lurking here? <_<

Bob
4th August 2004, 00:17
Ummm... how slow were you going?

50mph... in a 50mph zone! Sitting behind a truck doing the same speed.

Think that is 80kmph.

Well I was doing 50... but as I said I slowed to 20... then accellerated away to, oh, lets say a touch over the limit once I'd gotten the idiot worried and confused... :bash:

Mongoose
4th August 2004, 09:38
Used to have simular talks with a friend who was a *trained* rider and who used to hug the left of his lane claiming that gave him more room from the opposite direction. My arguement was if you hug too close to the left sooner or later a car(well, the nutter behind the wheel) will over take in the face of on coming traffic.
I tend to sit in the middle, maybe sometimes favouring the right slightly, of the lane I am in to try and force nutters to go around rather than shave past.
Touch wood, we do not seem to have peopleTHAT keen on undertaking around here.

750Y
4th August 2004, 09:45
having had this happen a couple days ago, my opinion is renforced that car drivers simply perceive that there is no risk to them by 'shaving you out'. if you are a big guy on a harley you can bet they won't do it because they perceive a risk to their safety(the threat of the beat down) but a guy on a skinny little sportsbike will get it every time. I'm not even sure they do it maliciously, just the 'i'm bigger you can't hurt me' mentality.

Devil
4th August 2004, 09:53
Had a taxi undertake me on a 50km/h road. Has happened twice to me now, that was the first time, i was actually quite stunned that someone had done something so stupid (I was following cars, there was no gain to be had). I pulled up to his window and gave him the stare till he slowed and pulled back in behind me.

Stupid fuckers.

Quasievil
4th August 2004, 10:13
Happened to me once in Hamilton city where a bunch of young hoons passed me on the inside on a stright bit of road almost knocking me off as I didnt know they were there, they were in some shitty laser or mazda thing, Unfortunetly for them they had to stop behind a car and the next lights I road up with my heavy motorcross boots on and gave his side mirror a good damn kick ,which broke it and I lane split up to the front, before they could do much about it the light was green and I took off satisfied I got my revenge.
Silly behaviour on my part for sure but sometimes I simply dont give a shit about reacting strongly to someone who tries to kill me, am I wrong. The young dickhead will not fuck with bikes again Im sure :D

vifferman
4th August 2004, 10:13
It's something to be aware of on a bike, that you need to position yourself so that people can see you and so that they can't force you into a dangerous position. Make yourself seem bigger than you are, in effect. The complete opposite of riding to the left of your lane, inviting people to overtake you (driving psychology). It's similar thing to those people who intimidate others into pulling over by following too closely, and over to the right: "I'm going to overtake you, so get out of the way".

It's probably slightly :Offtopic: but I can't be arsed starting another thread.
Yesterday, it was foggyish on the way to work. The street our building is on has lots of intersections with stop signs on but apart from the last intersection they're all on the side roads. "Hmmm..." I think, "could be dodgy going up there, with poor visibility and all. Nah! - I've got my headlight on, so if I'm careful I'll be OK!"
So, the very first intersection I come to, there are cars over the line on both the left and right, and creeping forward. So I slow down almost to a stop, even though I have the right of way, to make sure they've seen me and aren't going to run me over. The guy on the left sees me and stops, almost completely past the line. The silly bitch on the right takes my slowing down as an invitation to go, and creeps right over the centre line! WTF?!? So I stop. She stops, then decides she can go, then changes her mind. Then sits there visibly confused and upset (She was waving her hands around and going "Blah blah blah") because she seems to think that I am in the wrong!!
Fuck this! I'm not playing this game - I have right of way, I'm out of here.
(Perhaps in hindsight, I should've parked right in front of her car, and explained the meaning of "Come to a complete stop, and remain stopped until the way is clear for you to proceed".)

A couple of intersections further up, the same thing - two car drivers decided STOP means "Slow down a bit, be slightly prepared to give way".
I'm still rather pissed off, so I slow down (had to - I took my right hand off the bars) and vigorously waved them both back. :argh: :argh:

I HATE D'Auckland car drivers! Most of them are brain dead, have their own interpretation of the road rules, and should be shot!

aff-man
4th August 2004, 10:18
Yes looking to my left as i am about to dip into a corner and finding a huge frikken SUV sitting no more than 10cm from my leg gave em a bit of a scare. Went through the cornera bit faster than i would have liked and on a straight turned round and shook my head at them. People out there say bikes have no road manners, well cars are just as worse says i. :pinch:

sAsLEX
4th August 2004, 10:18
A pair of dirty large noisy pipes would cause them to think twice, otherwise some metal on the side of the boot then booted into their door would soon remind them they were doing wrong.

vifferman
4th August 2004, 10:54
A pair of dirty large noisy pipes would cause them to think twice, otherwise some metal on the side of the boot then booted into their door would soon remind them they were doing wrong.The trouble is, it's very easy to provoke someone into a road rage incident, and whether you're in the right makes no difference to them.
I've been very tempted many times to do what Quasi did, but oftentimes the driver is so braindead they don't even realise what they've done.
I worked with a guy (Chris) who rode Brit bikes, and even though he was a weed, when he was in his gear he looked the archetypal BadBikerDude: long scruffy beard, black helmet, scruffy leathers, and he used to carry his bike lock and chain over one shoulder. One day while out for a ride, an old man U-turned in front of Chris, and nearly skittled him. Chris was so pissed off that without thinking too much about it, he grabbed his chain and smashed the guy's headlights. The poor old guy was sitting there in his car, scared to death, no doubt thinking a good thrashing from this wild biker was coming next. (It didn't, and once Chris had remounted and ridden off, he thought, "Oops. Perhaps that was a bit extreme...")

Mongoose
4th August 2004, 11:09
The trouble is, it's very easy to provoke someone into a road rage incident, and whether you're in the right makes no difference to them.
.")

Totally agree, read the thread of the fellow KBer who suffered just that after being nearly knocked off his bike, not his fault.

Bob
4th August 2004, 20:42
Great one last night - Lights controlled slip lane onto a main 'A' road. So the lights change and the bike in front of me pulls away, with me behind him.

So a stupid woman (not being sexist, she was a stupid woman) who had been held up at the other set of lights decided she should go anyway.

First bike got past her - I'd seen her, so I'd already slowed down but gave her a good dose of horn blowing (and a spot of revving loudly) as I followed up.

Guy on first bike had waited in a queue, but as she pulled up, he moved over, looker her right in the eye, pointed to the red light and said:

"You see that? That is called a red light. When you see the red one, you STOP. Simple isn't it? So why can't you do it?"

Reaction from stupid woman? Shrugged her shoulders.

As Firestormer said, it is the "I'm in something bigger than you, so you won't hurt me" syndrome. I very often watch cars sit parallel with a truck, as they're scared of it as it is so much larger than them. Sportsbike (or even an SV!) on the other hand? Slim little thing, that can't hurt me.

I have noticed that if I take out my wife's 250 Virago, they seem to be much more patient - wonder if it is the "Must be a Harley, maybe he is one of them Hells Angels, better not upset hiim" thought pattern?

Lou Girardin
5th August 2004, 21:04
Happened today - two lanes, I'm in the outside lane, which is banking right. So I move out to the left for the above reasons - plus I am behind a truck so my visibility is compromised. Next thing I know? The woman in the car behind me accellerates towards the space inside me!

So I move back over, brake, make LOTS of noise with horn (in a tunnel as well, so it is echoing all over the place). She backs off - but not by much (still well within the "two second rule" distance).
Silly bitch.

So you're in the outside lane and block a car about to legally pass you using the left lane?
Your lucky you didn't get bowled.

Bob
5th August 2004, 21:51
So you're in the outside lane and block a car about to legally pass you using the left lane?
Your lucky you didn't get bowled.

NO! :spudwhat:

Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly, but what happened was this.

The lane was turning to the right. So I moved to the left OF THE SAME LANE - perfectly sensible, as by moving to the outside (of the same lane) I am now using the width of the road to get a better view and smoother line round the corner.

This was perceived by idiot in car behind me as the opportunity to come into the space I had vacated - THE SPACE IN THE SAME LANE!!!!!!!!!! She would have moved into the space next to me, in the same lane as me - which would have left me, oh, about a foot to work with?

Believe me, what she was doing was not legally overtaking!

Hope I've explained things a little better this time (having read back, I can see how it might have looked like I'd changed lane - I didn't, I was just making the most of the space in 'my' own lane...)

I didn't cross from one lane to another - I was making use of the width of the lane to get a better line round and improve my line of vision (the 'proper' way to corner, as any course and countless magazine articles will tell you).

If I'd been dumb enough to cross lanes, then I wouldn't be complaining!

Two cars would not try to sit side by side in the same lane, so why do it if a bike doesn't sit exactly in the centre of the lane?

Not sure, but I'd guess sitting side by side in the same lane is probably illegal?

Jackrat
6th August 2004, 02:10
I used to get a bit of that years ago but after reading this thread I realise it hasn't happened for quite a while.
I know why they do it,Their just lazy and you/we don't count in their eyes.
Why hasn't it happened for a while?
I'll have to think about that.
Black leathers,black helmet,black bike,constant filthy looks at everybody anywhere near me.
Or maybe I've just got uglyer :spudwhat:

bgd
6th August 2004, 04:03
Many years ago a guy I once knew parked his car in the office carpark. A biker approached him and said 'You probably don't know what this is for", and broke his jaw. Not sure what he had done but I imagine he looks out for bikers now.

6th August 2004, 10:32
If getting side-by-side in the same lane is illegal, what is lane-splitting?

I think what is illegal is that they were doing it on your right, and not leaving enough space to be safe

vifferman
6th August 2004, 11:06
Guy on first bike had waited in a queue, but as she pulled up, he moved over, looker her right in the eye, pointed to the red light and said:

"You see that? That is called a red light. When you see the red one, you STOP. Simple isn't it? So why can't you do it?":yes: Errr.. I've done this too. One of my pet peeves is people who ignore stop signs and red lights - treat them as a minor annoyance that doesn't apply to them. One of the reasons red-light/stop sign runners piss me off so much is because I bought my first bike from this very nice lady who'd been taken out by a stupid old bag who drove straight through an intersection with a stop sign (apparently a regular occurence for her). Penny had her leg busted in 6 places, spent a couple of weeks in traction, 6 months in plaster up to her chest, 5 weeks in plaster up to her hip, then had months in calipers, then had to walk with a cane for a long time.
Braindead Stupid Old Bag got a $40 fine...

So anyway, I've pointed out to several people that they have been bad. Make sme feel like a dick, but at least I'm not a hypocrite, as I always stop when I should.
The best one was a lady who was in front of me, drove straight through a stop sign without even slowing much, then stopped down the road to wait for the lights. I pulled up alongside her open window and said, "You know, if you actually STOPPED at stop signs, the road would be much safer for other motorists!" She just sat there, all slack-jawed, mouth wide open, and nodded.

James Deuce
6th August 2004, 11:09
Happened to me on the motorway this morning. Someone tried to change lanes into my space on the motorway, saw me and backed off, and I moved to the right of the lane I was in in response. The dudette behind me then pulls up alongside me as the traffic slows. I glared in the window and she laughs at me me so I folded her mirror back.