PDA

View Full Version : More battery issues...

Disco Dan
30th January 2007, 15:59
The water in my battery needs topping up every week, what is going wrong?

Is there something wrong with the battery?
Is the fact it is directly underneath the K&N filter intake mean it's evaportaing?
Is there an electrical fault? ie, overcharging and 'boiling' the battery?

crashe
30th January 2007, 16:03
what do you mean every week.

I thought you only just brought the bike a few days ago........
that aint a week....

7 days equals one week.

Disco Dan
30th January 2007, 16:05
what do you mean every week.

I thought you only just brought the bike a few days ago........
that aint a week....

7 days equals one week.

yes yes, thats what the guy i bought it off was telling me... I had to top it up today!

crashe
30th January 2007, 16:07
yes yes, thats what the guy i bought it off was telling me... I had to top it up today!

oh ok......... Here I was thinking that you had LOST some days there in your thinking :rofl: :rofl:

merv
30th January 2007, 16:10
Reg/rectifier on the way out I would say.

Drunken Monkey
30th January 2007, 16:13
^^^^^^^^^^ What he said. Definately some sort of charging circuit problem. Get it checked out by a professional.

bistard
30th January 2007, 16:13
Yes,I agree with Merv,it sounds like the bike is overcharging,get someone with a voltmeter/amp meter to check the output & go from there

Disco Dan
30th January 2007, 16:16
Reg/rectifier on the way out I would say.

Faaarrrrk..... that means $$$$$$ :yes:

crashe
30th January 2007, 16:18
Faaarrrrk..... that means $$$$$$ :yes:

Reg/rectifier:
You maybe able to get a good second hand one.........
Do a ring around of bike shops....... and get prices.

I had a second hand one put in my bike.....still running strong..

but do compare brand new to second hand prices first.

Disco Dan
30th January 2007, 16:22
Reg/rectifier:

cheers crashe, just sucks... I plan to live forever... why cant everything else last forever too! ;)

Going to Mt Eden Mcycles in the morning to get a brand new Metzeler fitted :yes: so will ask them to have a goozie at the electrics at the same time...

Finn
30th January 2007, 16:24
Use the kick start.

merv
30th January 2007, 16:31
Yeah you gotta have it checked out, don't just buy a reg/rectifier coz I said it might be that but it is one thing to test and from what you describe it sounds like the culprit.

Disco Dan
30th January 2007, 16:35
Yeah you gotta have it checked out, don't just buy a reg/rectifier coz I said it might be that but it is one thing to test and from what you describe it sounds like the culprit.

yeah will do. I think the dude i bought it off knew what was wrong... was like he felt guilty... he gave me a HUGE 10litre bottle of battery water!! :shutup: Fark!

The_Dover
30th January 2007, 16:40
stop running your high capacity "Arse Ticklers Faggots Fan Club" butt plug off it.

bistard
30th January 2007, 16:48
Reg/rectifier:

Please Dont Buy a Secondhand Regulator Rectifier!!!

crashe
30th January 2007, 16:50
Please Dont Buy a Secondhand Regulator Rectifier!!!

Why Not........?

Mine has been in my bike for a number of years and still the bike runs real sweet.

rookie
30th January 2007, 18:31
sounds like the regulator is playing up...had mine done last week - $260 plus labour.

Buying second hand, as with anything, is a gamble

surfer
1st February 2007, 09:19
Get a voltmeter and check the charge across the regulator. Sounds like this is the culprit.

In the mean time you are boiling your battery so you lose the fluid inside it and eventually you will warp the plates and end up forking out for a new battery.

Check your manual as you may be able to adjust your regulator to let through a smaller current. If it can't be adjusted you'll need a new one. Not sure of the revs that you need to check your regulator at, your manual should say. But you might also want to check at different revs anyway to see if there is any variation. Again your manual should say what the volts should be. I know for my bike it is 14.5 to 15 max.

Chances are you are also likely to blow fuses and the rear back light as this is usually the weakest bit in the circuit.

As well as regulary topping up with the battery you might want to carry a spare back light bulb and some fuses with you just in case.

Good luck