PDA

View Full Version : Computer help required...

MyGSXF
30th January 2007, 19:43
I was going through the "add/remove programmes" section before, deleating some programmes my son doesn't use any more, that are taking up space.

But I seem to have done something that has also affected my email programme.. now tis GONE... :bye:

Is there anyway I can restore whatever it is that I have done...???? :scratch: I looked in the recycling bin, but the stuff I deleated out of the "control panel" isn't there. :confused:

PLEASE HELP....... this puter illiterate fool :doh: I shall be eternally grateful!! :love:

MyGSXF
30th January 2007, 19:57
I seem to remember another time.. :innocent: when I "did something to it".. that we did something like, reset the clock to BEFORE I ferked it up.. then it went back to before I did whatever I did, & hey presto.. all was saved.. something like that anyway.. :rolleyes:

sound like anything remotely do-able..????? :shifty:

pervert
30th January 2007, 20:00
If you are running Windows XP you could do a system restore.

petermonkeyguru
30th January 2007, 20:02
look up terminal addict - he's a member here
If he don't know how to sort it no one will.

digsaw
30th January 2007, 20:04
If its XP just do a system restore:yes:

paveho
30th January 2007, 20:05
If you are using XP and haven't disabled 'System Restore' you could try a 'System Restore'. You just go to 'Start' - 'All Programs' - 'Accessories' - 'System Tools' - 'System Restore', and select 'Restore my computer to an earlier time', and hit 'Next'. You then choose a date and time prior to the date and time that you started your 'cleanup' and hit 'Next' again. It will then go off and restore your machine to the state that it was in at that point in time. Good luck.

MyGSXF
30th January 2007, 20:07

sorry.. yeah.. I shoulda said.. am running Windows XP. A Dell puter bout 2 years old.

Emails go through 'outlook'.. but the 'gold' version..

I'm sooooooo illiterate it's not funny!!!! :whistle:

ps: what's a 'restore' & how do I do it..

PLAIN ENGLISH please PEOPLE.. in VEEERY DETAILED BASIC steps.. you are dealing with an idiot here!!! :shutup: :innocent:

kro
30th January 2007, 20:10
if u don't get it sorted, call me tomorrow. I have done this once before too, I think we can bring it all back for you.

MyGSXF
30th January 2007, 20:11
If you are using XP and haven't disabled 'System Restore' you could try a 'System Restore'. You just go to 'Start' - 'All Programs' - 'Accessories' - 'System Tools' - 'System Restore', and select 'Restore my computer to an earlier time', and hit 'Next'. You then choose a date and time prior to the date and time that you started your 'cleanup' and hit 'Next' again. It will then go off and restore your machine to the state that it was in at that point in time. Good luck.

Thanks heaps for that paveho.. will go try it now... :yes:

If I don't come back on this thread.. then it SHOULDA worked aye... :Punk:

......in theory...... :shutup:

MyGSXF
30th January 2007, 20:15
if u don't get it sorted, call me tomorrow. I have done this once before too, I think we can bring it all back for you.

look up terminal addict - he's a member here
If he don't know how to sort it no one will.

If its XP just do a system restore:yes:

Thanks everyone... will try the system restore thingee now..

"I'm going outside.. I may be some time..." :Punk:

Jen :rockon:

riffer
30th January 2007, 20:16
PLAIN ENGLISH please PEOPLE.. in VEEERY DETAILED BASIC steps.. you are dealing with an idiot here!!! :shutup: :innocent:

Click on the Start Button

See All Programs with the arrow next to it? Hold you pointer over it and it opens the folder inside it

Find the folder Accessories.

Inside that is System Tools.

Inside that is System Restore.

Open System Restore.

Choose Restore my Computer to an earlier time.

It shows you a calendar which has "restore points" you can choose from. These are the dates in bold.

Click on the restore point the closest to the date you did your damage, say the day before.

Click the next button and follow the instructions.

MyGSXF
30th January 2007, 20:33
Hi honey... I'm home... :hug:

miss me...???? :innocent:

guess what... I have my beloved emails back!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :banana: :2thumbsup :wari: :clap:

You guys are legends!!! THANKS SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH to everyone for your help~!!!!!!!!!!! MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

ps: A) I REALLY gotta learn how to drive this bloody thing properly!!!

& B) what did I learn today then... DON'T FUCK WITH PUTER!!!!!!!!!! :whistle: :thud:

NighthawkNZ
30th January 2007, 20:34
System Restore

riffer
30th January 2007, 20:34
Another satisfied customer.

Who needs IT support.... :innocent:

Good to hear you're up and running again.

BTW most people learn IT by fucking up. I did.

MyGSXF
30th January 2007, 20:36
System Restore

YEP :yes: I love system restore.... :love:

MyGSXF
30th January 2007, 20:45
Another satisfied customer.

Who needs IT support.... :innocent:

That's right.. I have YOU lot!!!!!! :grouphug:

BTW most people learn IT by fucking up. I did.

I have the system restore :love: thingee details written down in bold print.. & I shall NEVER lose that piece of paper!!!!!!!! :lol:

pervert
30th January 2007, 20:46
System Restore

Gee, you're on the ball aren't you...:laugh:

Mr Skid
30th January 2007, 20:48
Sounds like a user upgrade may be required. :spudbooge

MyGSXF
30th January 2007, 20:54
Sounds like a user upgrade may be required. :spudbooge

lol.. Yep.. I'd have to agree with ya on that one!!! :shutup:

and teaching said "user" will require the patience of a bloody SAINT!!! :innocent: :shutup:

Gremlin
30th January 2007, 23:48
Don't worry... you'll learn eventually, reach another step, and manage to delete data in MUCH more permanent ways...

Backups are good :first:

Ixion
30th January 2007, 23:59
Meh. Operators may be able to make minor f***ups. But for a REAL total ballsup you need a programmer. Amatuers only delete what's already there. pros delete what's already there, AND what will be there in future. And delete the restore programs as well. And the CD drivers. And the boot eprom microcode.

Gremlin
31st January 2007, 00:08
Meh. Operators may be able to make minor f***ups.
But troubleshooting them can be the most amazing experiences...

Turning off the server coz it was the weekend (obviously we get the call on monday nothing is working), another attempting to turn off the server (thank god for the ups) because they "thought" the plug was for something else... unplugging the ac adapter pack on the router (I have no idea how or why).

Deleting the critical shortcut they needed... now that one took the cake... I don't ask any more... and expect the most basic of errors :lol:

Beemer
31st January 2007, 15:40
If you ever get stuck and there is no one on KB who can help (as if!), I find Press F1 (PC World's help site) is excellent. When I was starting out with my first computer I knew absolutely nothing (that part hasn't changed a lot!) and I found the FAQ part of the site great for learning how to do things - even simple things like turning off the noise a dial-up modem makes when connecting. Ask, and within minutes someone will post a response. Saved me from making lots of expensive mistakes.

riffer
1st February 2007, 08:21
Don't worry... you'll learn eventually, reach another step, and manage to delete data in MUCH more permanent ways...

Oh yeah. I can still remember my first time mucking around in a BASH shell.

rm *.*

Won't do that again in a hurry... :shutup: