PDA

View Full Version : Life saving emergency aid course created for UK motorcycle riders

Bob
4th August 2004, 00:10
A new course designed with motorcycle riders in mind has been launched by St John’s Ambulance. .

The Emergency Aid for Motorcyclists course, which is endorsed by the MCI, will show participants how to deal with a road accident scene effectively and safely.

During the 4 hour course the participants will be shown how to assess an emergency situation, determine the priorities and manage the whole scene. This includes details about how to make the area safe for the casualties and yourself, getting help and giving accurate information to the emergency services, all of which are critical in this situation. The course is not designed to train people in complete First Aid, but educate motorcyclists about what to do in emergency situations they may encounter.

Karen Cooke, MCI's Head of Safety, said, " The MCI actively supports this course from St John and expects that it will give people the confidence, composure and capability to manage the scene of an accident".

For more information about the course or to book a place please contact 08700 10 49 50.

Firefight
4th August 2004, 06:48
A new course designed with motorcycle riders in mind has been launched by St John’s Ambulance. .

The Emergency Aid for Motorcyclists course, which is endorsed by the MCI, will show participants how to deal with a road accident scene effectively and safely.

During the 4 hour course the participants will be shown how to assess an emergency situation, determine the priorities and manage the whole scene. This includes details about how to make the area safe for the casualties and yourself, getting help and giving accurate information to the emergency services, all of which are critical in this situation. The course is not designed to train people in complete First Aid, but educate motorcyclists about what to do in emergency situations they may encounter.

Karen Cooke, MCI's Head of Safety, said, " The MCI actively supports this course from St John and expects that it will give people the confidence, composure and capability to manage the scene of an accident".

For more information about the course or to book a place please contact 08700 10 49 50.

hey there Bob, don't know were this "UK" place is that you keep talking about, but if you mean England, I guess they must have got the idea of KB, both Wellington & here in AKs we have done the same thing for some of our riders.

Ps thanks for all the interesting news that you post., some dam good articles

" Scotland a free State" :2thumbsup

Firefight

Bob
4th August 2004, 20:25
hey there Bob, don't know were this "UK" place is that you keep talking about, but if you mean England, I guess they must have got the idea of KB, both Wellington & here in AKs we have done the same thing for some of our riders.

Ps thanks for all the interesting news that you post., some dam good articles

" Scotland a free State" :2thumbsup

Firefight

Thanks for the vote of confidence - nice to know this stuff is appreciated.

I'll TRY to say "England" in future, but it is force of habit to say UK! If you say "England" over here, you are automatically accused of bias!

(As someone with a long Irish heritage - my great-grandparents on both sides came from the Emerald Isle, so I can just about qualify for a passport - I tend to think of everything this side of the water as "UK" or "Britain"!)

Would 'Britain' help?

FROSTY
4th August 2004, 20:32
Thanks for the vote of confidence - nice to know this stuff is appreciated.

I'll TRY to say "England" in future, but it is force of habit to say UK! If you say "England" over here, you are automatically accused of bias!

(As someone with a long Irish heritage - my great-grandparents on both sides came from the Emerald Isle, so I can just about qualify for a passport - I tend to think of everything this side of the water as "UK" or "Britain"!)

Would 'Britain' help?
Ok BOB me ol cocker
If you anounce that you guys are organising a basic mechanical evening Im gonna charge you a royalty. :msn-wink:
Gee FF doesnt that sound -EXACTLY like our first aid course?

Bob
4th August 2004, 21:54
I've not been in touch with them yet (waiting to see if Mr Editor would like me to go on the course), but I think this is more to do with accident scene management rather than first aid - though I think some very basic first aid will be included.

I keep meaning to find out where my local St Johns Ambulance people are and book in for a basic first aid course - you never know when it might come in handy.

As for "a basic mechanical evening" - if only! There used to be one at my local college, but that seems to have been dropped ages ago.

There are precious few courses like that in UK, er England, er, England/Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland/Isle of Man/Berwick* any longer. Which is a real shame. Forces people who would like to learn some basic fettling into the arms of dealers.

(* I mention Berwick as it is one of the little oddities in history. When Scotland and England were still officially separate countries, they were in dispute over who owned Berwick. Then they all went to war with Russia - and the Declaration of War was signed by "England, Scotland and Berwick. By the time the war was over, they'd decided Berwick was in England. So the declaration of peace was signed by "England and Scotland" - Berwick didn't sign it, so technically they are still at war with Russia!)

Firefight
5th August 2004, 05:48
Good one Bob, glad to see we share a sense of humor, keep posting look forward to you contruibutions(sp? sorry).

Firefight :wacko: