PDA

View Full Version : Sunday vs Saturday Rides

bikerboy
7th June 2003, 13:11
I've always wondered why the majority of bikers, at least the ones I know, tend to ride on Sudays as opposed to Saturdays. :)

I'd like to know the reasons for one over the other just out of curiousity?

Anyone care to reply ? :whocares: ??

:confused:

Blackbird
7th June 2003, 13:30
That was a provocative introduction, haha but with some truth!  My riding partners and myself have families and a lot of those committments like kids, shopping and the like tend to occur on Saturdays, hence being allowed out to play on Sundays!

Simple as that.....

Motu
7th June 2003, 14:30
I work 6 days a week,if I get a sat off I tend to go exploring bike shops and stuff,but I take a car to put the bargins in!

Antallica
7th June 2003, 15:45
I would have to say Saturday rides are more fun, probably because the shops are all open. More traffic than Sundays but I'll live.

bluninja
7th June 2003, 15:56
In my youth I drank heavily on Friday nights. didn't really make it out of bed much before lunchtime and didn't feel like riding (which was good as I was prolly too drunk to ride still) on Staurday.

Now I don't drink I ride whenever I like, but I also like time with my kids, so I normally ride just once at a weekend.

TTFN

MikeL
7th June 2003, 17:29
What with Ulysses, a couple of other informal groups, rides with my best mate, not to mention the times I just go off on my own, the problem is fitting all the riding into just two days. It's a good thing I ride my bike to work every day as well, otherwise I'd feel seriously deprived. :p

franco
7th June 2003, 23:50
for me it's not about the day, but more about the weather. If it's raining, i'll hit the couch. If it's sunny, i'll hit the road. & if i'm under (the weather), like blue i'd probably just hit the snooze button :sleep:

franco

Marmoot
8th June 2003, 21:42
I go on Saturday (so I can have a rest on Sunday. Sunday is family day)

Shine or Rain! :) :) :) :) :):niceone:

bikerboy
8th June 2003, 23:03
The responses seem to indicate no real preference or even strong reasons like work or family commitments dictating any particulat day. :o

Yet I have never been on an organized ride with mates, group or club where the ride day wasn't Sunday.

Strange. :whistle:

MikeL
9th June 2003, 08:47
Not so strange, really. If we have weekend commitments these days, with the demise of regular church-going and the obligatory Sunday family dinner, they are more likely to be on Saturday playing or watching sports, taking kids to their games, etc). And many businesses are open on Saturday mornings at least so people are more likely to have to work then than on Sundays. Those of you who have kids will know how difficult it can be to get away for some time by yourself. Fortunately mine are old enough to look after themselves, so I can be selfish without (excessive) guilt! I spent Sat morning at various dealers looking at bikes, Sat afternoon riding to Orewa with some friends, and all day yesterday on a Ulysses ride to Te Awamutu, Cambridge and some other places I can't remember (BTW the Robert Harris cafe in Te Awamutu is amazing). Got back at 4:30. Lawns still unmown, hedge untrimmed, garden unweeded... But no regrets. I can't think of a better way to spend the weekend. And my wife, even if she doesn't entirely accept my order of priorities, has long since realized the futility of arguing with me. :p

What?
9th June 2003, 08:48
Race day is usually Sunday. Sometimes it is Saturday. Thus, Sundays get ridden on more than Saturdays.

BUT... When I worked on roster, i.e. worked ~60% of weekends (or more) I found that I prefer to ride on week days. Mainly because there tends to be less traffic on my favourite roads on week days (I'd much rather deal with trucks than Mom, Dad and the kids in their Urban Assault Vehicle):rockon:

Goddess of Goof
11th June 2003, 22:55
Originally posted by bikerboy
The responses seem to indicate no real preference or even strong reasons like work or family commitments dictating any particulat day. :o

Yet I have never been on an organized ride with mates, group or club where the ride day wasn't Sunday.

Strange. :whistle:

Work or family commitments can occur over the weekend anytime these days. My boss goes in to work on Saturdays, sometimes she hints that it could be laid on me too, if things get too busy. Yeeek-yuk. I remember when Sundays used to be so quiet and reliably easy-going - no shopping, no work, no stress.  :D

But BB if you WANT to go on a Saturday club ride, go to the Ulysses Club website and look at their runs sheet. They meet every Saturday at 12.00pm for 1.00pm departure at the McDonalds in Quay Street. Check it out. PYOD means pick your own destination - whoever's there go into sorta GROUP HUDDLE and sort out a destination. In  daylight saving hours, they meet on Friday evenings for twilight runs. Can be very refreshing after a week inside at your desk. HOWEVER, it IS Ulysses M\C Club.   'Nuff said.

:rolleyes:

ciao ciao.

Antallica
12th June 2003, 07:00
I work on Sunday also so that kinda puts me in the gutter....

I don't usually have much to do on the weekends unless some fool wreckes his PC, so I'm always eager for a ride. But seeing as my mate wrecked his ride I'm suddenly bored nuts... the g/f is happy now though heh ;)

MikeL
12th June 2003, 08:19
Originally posted by BestFun
HOWEVER, it IS Ulysses M\C Club.   'Nuff said.

:(

750Y
12th June 2003, 09:48
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HOWEVER, it IS Ulysses M\C Club. 'Nuff said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey don't talk about the Uselesses like that :D

sorry MikeL couldn't resist

bikerboy
12th June 2003, 10:09
I don't mind which days I ride as long as I get to ride. I just find the "riding ritual" intriguing.

As for Ulysses M/C, I'm not familiar with them but get the impression they are different?. I do know Mike rides with them and he seems a good guy and more than capable rider so what's the implied subtext? :(

Are they as manic as the IMOC gang? or just the opposite...I get it now!

:D

MikeL
12th June 2003, 10:50
Originally posted by bikerboy

As for Ulysses M/C, I'm not familiar with them but get the impression they are different?. I do know Mike rides with them and he seems a good guy and more than capable rider so what's the implied subtext? :(

Are they as manic as the IMOC gang? or just the opposite...I get it now!

:D

:p Thanks, BB. I was beginning to suffer from mild paranoia...

As for the implied subtext, take your pick:

(a) We are all a bunch of old f*rts and being over 40 is already a crime against nature so anything else is irrelevant.
(b) We all fall off our bikes at least once every ride, usually because the Alzheimers makes us forget to put our feet down when we stop. Thus we constitute a hazard to other road users and place an unacceptable drain on resources especially medical care.
(c) We are all desperate to recapture our lost youth so we constantly ride way beyond our capabilities, just like your average 17 year old...
(d) When we have the money to buy perfectly good bikes like 600cc sports bikes, FZRs, GSXs and so on, we waste it on sh*t like Goldwings, Harleys, Triumph Thunderbirds, etc. thus proving that we are not real bikers.
:whocares:

750Y
12th June 2003, 12:44
it's just a wind up.
it's all good.

back to the topic, I ride Sundays because i get things around home done on Saturday. I like to get the work out of the way first,
business before pleasure.

Slim
12th June 2003, 12:57
I'm a shift worker, so days off during the week are like mana from heaven. :D

Both times I've met up with other KiwiBikers have been Saturdays, if that's any help to you.

Marmoot
12th June 2003, 13:32
I always tend to think that Sunday gives more cops on the road than Saturday because they tend to stay up on Friday evening and snooze on Saturday morning and there is more traffic of family saloons on Sundays.

But, hey, there are lots of tendencies in my analysis there :o

Kwaka-Kid
12th June 2003, 16:58
well sunday is generally the day for religion  - well christianity at least, and instead of going to church bikers just go down to the garage and pray to their little machines to hold together for just another week.. and so on :) or at least thats what i do.  Secondly what bluninja said is true - hard friday nights mean i dont usually feel like riding when i first get up :) but then again its often both fri and sat? so who knows.  Last point for me, on sunday afternoon i am feeling like crap because i only have work to look forward too for a week :( so its like doing one last fun thing in heaven before entering hell :)

Mind you, SOMEBODY ORGANISE A RIDE, or better yet A BBQ! as i havnt done a proper weekend ride in a good month or so (scince ZXR go bye byes to pukekohe).  So a BBQ would be great as id only have to ride there myself on the GS, as opposed to riding with others on it - im embarrased because that bike is like the only bike thats genuinly scared me, and well.  And when i decide "f*** it, im man enough to throw this around the road" i go fast but mistakes are made and riding gets sloppy,  wouldnt wanna take any of my brothers out now would i :)

cheers.

SPman
12th June 2003, 18:50
Originally posted by Kwaka-Kid
well sunday is generally the day for religion  - well christianity at least, and instead of going to church bikers just go down to the garage and pray

Ahh......  Sunday

wkid_one
12th June 2003, 19:37
Hey - I like - I am Daniel - and i did that, excluding the praying that is (apart from the one corner where I got awfully close to the outside - but that was more like - jesus fucken christ that was close - is that a prayer?)

babyB
12th June 2003, 22:09
i dont mind what day of the week i go riding (every day would be premo) getting the babysitter is the hard part:(

god may look after the kids but he sure dont keep them out of the cupboards.lol

SPman
12th June 2003, 22:34
Yeah Dan - I thought of you when I posted.

"jesus fucken christ that was close - is that a prayer?" - more an invocation to the patron saint of builders!:niceone:

Racey Rider
12th June 2003, 23:01
Please ease-up on the language guys. I can handel all your F words, But that phrase I find disturbing. :(

Goddess of Goof
15th June 2003, 18:20
Well, let me ask y'all this .......

Who rode the first motorcycle ever, ever, ever ? Huh ?

Wasn't Mr Davison. Wasn't Herr Benz. Wasn't Mr Norton.

It's in the BIBLE.  It says so in black and white.

MOSES had the first motorcycle.  

Let me quote: ...."Moses came down from the mountain,

and the sound of his Triumph

was heard throughout the Land ......." 

Excellent image SP Man.  Full marks. Is that ping effect coming from his knee-slider?  Kool, very kool.

Kwaka-Kid
15th June 2003, 21:10
bahahaha!

nice one bestfun! owned.

Yamahamaman
15th June 2003, 23:57
the sound of his Triumph It only sounded that way because it had leaked all it's oil out:whistle:

What?
16th June 2003, 06:02
Originally posted by Yamahamaman
It only sounded that way because it had leaked all it's oil out:whistle:

But at least it went... If it were a Hogly, he'd still be on the mountain trying to start the bugger.:D

Coldkiwi
17th June 2003, 12:54
i REALLY like that image :D... wonder if I can get a shirt of that?

I'm generally going to my church on sunday evenings now so that free's me up for either day. Its sorta dictated by whether the g/f is working or available or whatever though so I generally take what I can get either day. I like to spend saturday cleaning/tweaking though (it gets ridden to work each day too) but then if i do it on sunday after a ride I have a freshly cleaned bike for work...

hmmm... decisions....

Duke of Rogan
17th June 2003, 21:51
I'd have to say Saturday is the best day, as my wife works this day!
(she hasn't got a bike, or any gear - yet)

:blah:

Zed
22nd February 2004, 19:58
I've always wondered why the majority of bikers, at least the ones I know, tend to ride on Sundays as opposed to Saturdays. :)
Because they're all heathens!! :shutup:

I'm waiting for the "4 working day/3 day weekend" week to arrive...that way one could have 3 days to choose from on which to go gallivanting around the countryside on a bike! Maybe that would get more of you into church on Sundays? :p

Zed

Yamahamaman
22nd February 2004, 20:27
Because they're all heathens!! :shutup:

I'm waiting for the "4 working day/3 day weekend" week to arrive...that way one could have 3 days to choose from on which to go gallivanting around the countryside on a bike! Maybe that would get more of you into church on Sundays? :p

Zed
Zed, in my teachings, the Seventh Day is Saturday.

By the way, the House of our Lord is open 24/7.

Zed
22nd February 2004, 20:47
By the way, the House of our Lord is open 24/7.
No quarrel with you on that Yman! :innocent:

Zed

Jackrat
22nd February 2004, 20:52
Back When I had a real job I would ride out on Saturday an back Sunday.
Now there's only one day,"Today" And there's only two times of day "Day time an night Time".Hours are what other people gauge their lives by,That and the amount of debt their in,,,,,,,Poor Buggers :no:

James Deuce
22nd February 2004, 22:11
Sunday's because the chores are done (mostly) on Saturday, and a good ride helps blot the impending doom of the imminent return to work.

Though if we spend a weekend at the In-Laws in the Wairarapa I ride out Friday night and come back Monday morning.

Wonko
23rd February 2004, 18:10
Any day on two wheels, is a good day to ride, even if it's just for a blat down the north western and then back through the burbs.

Just trying to fit it in around my gf :spudbooge , the recovering from the night before :apint: , and the running repairs :brick:

DEATH_INC.
25th June 2004, 18:18
I ride Sundays because i get things around home done on Saturday. I like to get the work out of the way first,
business before pleasure.

Ditto.work/chores first play later.......well most of the time anyway.....

Ghost Lemur
25th June 2004, 18:28
Well my current situation leads me to be a weekday afternoon rider. Both my sons are at preschool all day (7:30-4:30), but I finish my course by 12:30 each day. Supposed to be doing 3+ hours study in my own time. But instead I usually race home do a bit of house work, have a bite of lunch and then go for a small blat on the Rodent.

Gixxer 4 ever
25th June 2004, 19:17
I've always wondered why the majority of bikers, at least the ones I know, tend to ride on Sudays as opposed to Saturdays. :)

Saturday work Sunday church. So I fit the rides in between them both. So I do ride both days most weekends.

Magua
25th June 2004, 19:55
Sundays are better for me as I work from 3pm on Saturdays.

FROSTY
25th June 2004, 21:18
any day is a good day for a bike ride
:scooter:

Storm
1st October 2004, 18:02
Any fine day where you either have a) spare time or b) can skive off without being caught and its not raining is all good. Then again I have to admit that I have gone riding in wind so strong I was leant right over ie 40 degress plus just to stay riding in a straight line :eek5: . I like saturdays more as I have usually been looking forward to a ride all week and thus are very keen come saturday.

MOTOXXX
1st October 2004, 20:45
now that daylight savings is comin up ill try and ride paekakariki hill as much as i can after work during the week to help the cravings.

have to work every second saturday. sundays are better for me.
Being the year of 21st's for my self i try to ride on the second saturday or late on the sunday afternoon once i feel well enough.

job givith the $$ and the bottle store/ bike stores takith away.
but i love it. :beer:

The Pastor
3rd October 2004, 22:30
Sundays are much better to ride,

Although it’s a lot like a last meal before an execution. Last ride before work and the bills that come on Monday morning.

I ride when ever I get the chance.

It’s hard when you don’t have a bike / license though.

bear
7th December 2004, 15:24
Both days are good, although good weather helps to determine which is preferable most of the time. I guess, at least on Saturday's you don't have to think about returning to work on the Monday!

loosebruce
8th December 2004, 01:07
Saturday, Sunday, ah hell Monday, Tuesday, Wedensday, Thursday and even Friday, nice working nights only init, but my budget only goes so far :confused2

JohnBoy
8th December 2004, 10:30
Saturday, Sunday, ah hell Monday, Tuesday, Wedensday, Thursday and even Friday, nice working nights only init, but my budget only goes so far :confused2
i agree, but i try to not ride sundays cause i am usually hung over from sat night. :puke: