PDA

View Full Version : Bikers form anti-child abuse chapter in ACT

Bob
4th August 2004, 00:12
Bikers United Against Child Abuse officially launched their Canberra chapter yesterday at the Legislative Assembly. They pledged to lend their financial and physical support to fight the growing incidence of child abuse around the country.

Spokesman Michael Tharme said the group, now with chapters in every capital city except Hobart and Darwin, had been kicked into being after reading in the media "of yet another case of child abuse".

"There are about 550 reports [of abuse] in Australia every day – about every three minutes a child is abused somewhere. We love our motorbikes, but we also love our kids and decided something had to be done," Mr Tharme said "Bikers might look big, dirty and ugly, but most of these guys are family men."

He said the group would raise money through events such as charity collections and local rides, and would also lend help to Barnardos, the group which will be handling the money raised by the bikers.

But Mr Tharme said the philosophy of protecting children did not extend to vigilante action against known abusers or those suspected of abusing. "That's for the police, not us," he said, emphasising the group's core actions as fund-raising and assisting Barnardos and the children.

riffer
4th August 2004, 08:16
Possibly a good idea, Bob, but their spokesman didn't exactly make himself popular here. See this thread:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=1842

toads
4th August 2004, 09:04
personally I don't condone mistreatment of anything or anyone including children abusing their parents, I can't really see the point of this organisation, what do they hope to achieve, they would be far better off to just be bikers that fund raise for good causes, everything from barnados through to the spca

jrandom
4th August 2004, 09:33
personally I don't condone mistreatment of anything or anyone including children abusing their parents, I can't really see the point of this organisation, what do they hope to achieve, they would be far better off to just be bikers that fund raise for good causes, everything from barnados through to the spca

Have a look at that old thread, toads. Whatever they are, they ain't too smart.

Hitcher
4th August 2004, 11:50
Possibly a good idea, Bob, but their spokesman didn't exactly make himself popular here.
Nostalgia... Those guys were a real bunch of dicks. They shouldn't be allowed out unsupervised or anywhere near impressionable minds!

wkid_one
4th August 2004, 14:18
Shit that was funny!!!! I miss those threads - everything seems to be a bit pc again on here.

jrandom
4th August 2004, 14:34
Shit that was funny!!!! I miss those threads - everything seems to be a bit pc again on here.

Sniff. I'm quite proud of my efforts on that thread. The good old days, eh.

[Edit: Ahhhhhh, yes... "a bunch of rednecks getting excited about a badly-thought-out justification to behave like badasses". Tell me. Tell me I got class!]

Hitcher
4th August 2004, 14:54
Tell me. Tell me I got class!
You got class, you da man!

jrandom
4th August 2004, 14:59
You got class, you da man!

Yeah! Yeah! Gimme some!

moko
5th August 2004, 06:34
The American(original?) group of these guys were shown on some documentary about the time of the thread the guys are talking about Bob.Sadly they were a real bunch of tossers and a group of them had been thrown off of a plane over an incident involving some guy telling his kid off,2 very different versions of that one but it was the fat lads with the bandanas that the Police lifted.I can see it working if a few handy blokes went around on the quiet to known and convicted perves and said "we know who you are and we`re watching you" but these goons were turning up en masse and it only would have taken one hot-head and you`ve got a bad situation.I`ve known of one case locally when a convicted paedophile was moved(by his f***ing social workers!! :mad: )into a flat on an estate full of young kids.All it took was for the guy to be made aware that his filthy habits were known and he was being watched ALL the time and he moved out,no threats,no swearing even,he just didn`t want to be around with people knowing what he was,these scum tend not to be very heroic that`s why they do what they do.No need for mass muscle-flexing,threats or panicking everyone else on this estate,just a couple of well-built gents "having a quiet word",of course he was re-located with more of taxpayers money and hidden away somewhere else where he`s someone else`s problem.A final note on how great social services are,he was rumbled when one of his victim`s family saw him being moved in,about 5 minutes walk from the scene of his crimes,sometimes words fail me.

NordieBoy
5th August 2004, 09:41
That thread was beautiful.

Trying to work out what was being said was at times difficult with the edited/deleted replys.

Oh well, off to work now on my sub 750cc "toy".

:wacko: