PDA

View Full Version : Midday WOF & COF Check Tuakau area

Firefight
4th August 2004, 07:09
Hey people, for the third time in the last two months the :Police: have had a check point on or near Tuakau bridge, this only effects those of us who are able to ride midweek,(yeha 22) but it is worry nevertheless, this time it was right outside the sand plant north of the bridge, other two times was south of the bridge near Port waikato and Onewhero turn offs.Both very frenidly :Police: general duty, and were happy to have a bit of a chat on a :sunny: :sunny: afternoon. they told me it was going to be a semi regular WOF &COF check area, and to keep that to myself., opps :wacko:

F/F :msn-wink:

Firefight
4th August 2004, 11:58
Duly noted... from another midweek rider.. woohoo!
Hey you gota show me that 22 you keep harping on about.. what watch you again??red?? :niceone:

green watch.

F/F

wkid_one
4th August 2004, 12:02
Mainly aimed at catching HT drivers more than anything. Nothing like revenue collection from professional drivers!

jrandom
4th August 2004, 12:07
Mainly aimed at catching HT drivers more than anything. Nothing like revenue collection from professional drivers!

Bollocks. Checking mechanical fitness and safety certification on HTs is a worthy cause. Commercial operators need the pressure put on them; it's the *drivers* that get hurt when an unsafe truck crashes.

Firefight
4th August 2004, 14:03

no Dan, it was not CVIU, they were after cars/bikes, they let the trucks go by when they had us pulled up, although I agree its eaiser to get more $$$$$$$ from a truck & trailer over on his RUC, that 4 x cars over wof/rego

F/F

wkid_one
4th August 2004, 14:23
no Dan, it was not CVIU, they were after cars/bikes, they let the trucks go by when they had us pulled up, although I agree its eaiser to get more $$$$$$$ from a truck & trailer over on his RUC, that 4 x cars over wof/rego

F/F
Yup - interesting - police always baffle me with their stupidity - sorry Spud. But if you are going to stop traffic - why not check everything??

RUC's are not the problem with most truck drivers as most of them have the correct km's paid for. The problem is not have the right RUC STICKER - ie, 10t when they are carrying 19t etc. Or where the truck doesn't meet COF. Unlike a car - a trucks life is pretty hard in the 6 months between COF's. One poorly loaded payload of metal can crack a chassis/subframe etc and cause it to fail on COF.

So by only checking COF's on trucks - they are wasting their bloody time.

Firefight
5th August 2004, 06:38
Yup - interesting - police always baffle me with their stupidity - sorry Spud. But if you are going to stop traffic - why not check everything??

RUC's are not the problem with most truck drivers as most of them have the correct km's paid for. The problem is not have the right RUC STICKER - ie, 10t when they are carrying 19t etc. Or where the truck doesn't meet COF. Unlike a car - a trucks life is pretty hard in the 6 months between COF's. One poorly loaded payload of metal can crack a chassis/subframe etc and cause it to fail on COF.

So by only checking COF's on trucks - they are wasting their bloody time.

Yeah however thats the reason they have CVIU,(CWS) apart from what you have already mentioned Dan, theres, overloading, Log books, Load restraint, documentaion, SRT, etc etc. I was a line haul truckie b4 joining the fire service, and still do relief driving on annual leave, I have found in most cases the general duty Police officer, is normally not intersted ,nor the up with the regs when it comes to road transport. Maybe its a bit different for general duty cops in more rural areas, not sure, again maybe spud could tell us.

But CVIU guys, fuck you gotta be skeaky clean, and no amount of bullshit will
get you off a ticket...The company I work in my hoildays has 30 line haul 8 wheelers & 4 axle trailers and a few 5 axle B trains, last year, 4 drivers had a months compulsery "hoilday" due to log book infringments.Thats considered to be good going.

I would be intersted in what other truckies think(I know we got a few on KB)
But the only time I have ever been stopped at check points in a truck & trailer
its been for a breath test, any other time have always been waved on.

F/F :wacko:

wkid_one
5th August 2004, 10:53
I have had customer go through LTSA COF's in the morning and then be stickered by the CVIU in the afternoon for various 'infringements'.

We hear all sorts of horror stories by the sheer virtue of the fact - 50% of our (and my) customers are Transport COmpanies - and none of them have many interesting things to say.

Here is a funny story - had a customer purchase a new 12t Digger and whilst they were driving it to a job on a low loader - they saw that whilst the weigh station was closed, there was a cop manning it. So they thought, given that they have only just purchased the digger - they would pop in to get it weighed by axle to be able to mark the trailer where the 'optimum' place to park the digger was to ensure legal weight spread on the axles. Cop was most obliging.

He weighed the trailer and the individual axles - found they were over and ticketed them - thanks for coming.

Nice esp considering in the area the customer lived - there are NO weigh stations available for public use that enable them to weigh by axle seperately.