PDA

View Full Version : Transalp 650V centre-stand

timg
31st January 2007, 21:05
Hi Folks, I've recently purchased a Transalp 650. Just got 1000 ks up on the new toy and I'm really enjoying it. Lovely bike. I've still got a lot to learn and get used to - much larger & more powerful than what I've been used to recently.

One question tho...is there an alternative centre stand to the Honda one that somebody can recommend? The Honda stand costs a small fortune. There are a number of after market centre stands on US & UK www sites (not to mention the German sites that I cannot read) which would be considerably cheaper landed in NZ. Can anybody recommend an alternative stand and reliable local or www supplier? I can't just chuck the Transalp up on an old nail box like I could the NXR to do things like chain maintance etc - looks like a centre stand (or maybe a pit stand) is going to be a necessity.

Thanks for your advice & I look forward to meeting some of you folks on the Southern Passes ride. Cheers, Tim.

oldrider
31st January 2007, 21:46
Hi Folks, I've recently purchased a Transalp 650. Just got 1000 ks up on the new toy and I'm really enjoying it. Lovely bike. I've still got a lot to learn and get used to - much larger & more powerful than what I've been used to recently.

One question tho...is there an alternative centre stand to the Honda one that somebody can recommend? The Honda stand costs a small fortune. There are a number of after market centre stands on US & UK www sites (not to mention the German sites that I cannot read) which would be considerably cheaper landed in NZ. Can anybody recommend an alternative stand and reliable local or www supplier? I can't just chuck the Transalp up on an old nail box like I could the NXR to do things like chain maintance etc - looks like a centre stand (or maybe a pit stand) is going to be a necessity.

Thanks for your advice & I look forward to meeting some of you folks on the Southern Passes ride. Cheers, Tim.

Try looking here.http://techtransalp.co.uk/

or here. www.xrv.org.uk/default.php (forums/transalp) for a start. Cheers John.

XP@
1st February 2007, 07:18
Urrr... buy a scottoiler, then you don't need to touch the chain ;-)

Congrats on the purchase btw, it's a bloody awsome bike (except for the lack of a bloody centre stand) !

Search on for transalp centre stand
http://lfft.actrix.co.nz/?cx=015899282448030818925%3Awihyommmzrq&q=transalp+centre+stand&sa=GO&cof=FORID%3A9#1242

Transalper
1st February 2007, 08:42
I have a scotty on mine, the only time i miss a centre stand is when i had a flat tyre in the middle of nowhere and had to lay the bike down to fix it. Thankful of the rough paint and crashbars then. Wheel removal at home is done with the help of a suitable jack.
All said and done i think if a centre stand was easily available and cheep enough i think i'd get one too.

XP@
1st February 2007, 15:37
beginning to think i am the odd one out here, and should be taking the ferry someplace south.

work bugger! bugger, work! bugger work!

Ruralman
1st February 2007, 16:18
Oldrider can comment better on this as he has a centre stand and I don't but I understand they can be a pain catching stuff (rocks gravel etc) and reduce your clearance when cornering on the seal. I have a scottoiler on mine as well - a centre stand would be handy when tightening the chain to ensure its running true/even and in the unfortunate event of a flat tyre to fix somewhere.
I looked at getting a bike lift/jack thing - I took one home form the local bike shop but I couldn't use it on the transalp - I can't recall exactly why but I think it wouldn't reach high enough? One of these would be handy as I would use it on all the bikes but make sure it works on your Transalp before taking it home.

Anyway welcome to the club - theres a lot of happy owners of these bikes out there and while OR and others may be looking lovingly at the new Varadero ,most of us don't want or need a tank quite that size. At some point soon Honda must be due to do a major update of the T/A with fuel injection etc - thats when I might start drooling !!

timg
2nd February 2007, 18:07
Thanks guys. Yes, a Scott oiler is on my wish list along with a couple of other things. There's a couple of places where I can get a stand from o/seas for about half the price of the Honda one here so I'll try that and see how it goes. I don't like the idea of laying the bike on it side should I have the misfortune of a puncture in the back blocks somewhere either. What are those aerosol instant tyre fix things like with tubed tyres. Do they work as a temporary 'get you out to some place where you can fix it properly' fix? Cheers, Tim.

Transalper
2nd February 2007, 23:01
No good i suspect if your tube has a huge tear in it from a nail puncture. Tyre went flat then spun on the rim. I could have lost my valve too but at that point it would have made no difference, was time to replace the tube.

Ruralman
4th February 2007, 19:33
I have been told, but thankfully never had to try it out myself so far, that if all you need to do is repair the tube it is easier to do it (in the backblocks) by leaving the wheel on the bike and doing it with the bike on its side??
Has anyone tried this?

RedKLR650
5th February 2007, 10:22
Hi Folks, I've recently purchased a Transalp 650. Just got 1000 ks up on the new toy and I'm really enjoying it. Lovely bike. I've still got a lot to learn and get used to - much larger & more powerful than what I've been used to recently. Thanks for your advice & I look forward to meeting some of you folks on the Southern Passes ride. Cheers, Tim.

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the Adventure crowd :-) Let me know if you're ever down Timaru way and want to check out some awesome shingle roads around here ( Unlike the big straights around Ashvegas, South Canterbury has roads with bend in :-) Cheers, Stu

timg
5th February 2007, 17:49
Hi Tim,

Welcome to the Adventure crowd :-) Let me know if you're ever down Timaru way and want to check out some awesome shingle roads around here ( Unlike the big straights around Ashvegas, South Canterbury has roads with bend in :-) Cheers, Stu
Thanks Stu. I'll be heading out on the Rakaia Gorge/Ashburton Gorge run tomorrow so look forward to meeting you. Cheers, Tim.