PDA

View Full Version : Why do they just stop on the motorway

Fatjim
1st February 2007, 12:25
Farkin idiots. Cages who stop in the middle lane because they want to get into the left or right hand lane piss me off. None more so than those who do it trying to get onto the Terrace off ramp. The motorway bends left and goes over a rise so it's a blind corner. The right hand and middle lane here is always doing a hundred so it's a real menace.

The danger here is immense because people who get stuck behind these idiots try to get round them, swerving into the right hand lane.

Now the snakes know this happens, they see it every day. But I guess the revenue to hassle ratio is too small. So the law is now in my hands.

I've had enough. Every prick I see (about 1-2 a day) is getting there mirror smacked. Please join me in my crusade.

sAsLEX
1st February 2007, 12:29
I've had enough. Every prick I see (about 1-2 a day) is getting there mirror smacked. Please join me in my crusade.

Hit up or down, mirrors aren't designed to take force in this direction.......

or a decent heavy boot will remove.

MSTRS
1st February 2007, 12:57
Not just that either...
What about the dorks who have a free left onto their own left lane, where there is a straight through right lane? ie a single lane becomes two after the feeder.
Dorks give way - who to???

riffer
1st February 2007, 12:59

I'm in. I'll follow anyone who can beat me through the traffic in Welly.

I love smacking mirrors... :yes:

Hitcher
1st February 2007, 13:13
That whole Terrace off-ramp set-up is pox. Cars come off at Hawkestone Street, flip up and over Bowen Street onto the motorway on-ramp so they can short-cut onto The Terrace off-ramp queue, where there is a de facto two-lanes operating. The lane markings at the top end of The Terrace off-ramp are wrongly done too, exacerbating the tail-back. What's needed are those flexible plastic pegs to keep cars in their lanes and to stop them merging too early -- another problem created at the Bowen Street on-ramp for traffic wanting to get across into a lane to go through the tunnel. I'd also put a barrier up on Bowen Street either to stop traffic exiting and then immediately re-entering the motorway, or close off the Hawkestone Street exit entirely.

XP@
2nd February 2007, 06:52
Hmmm... need some of that kevlar stuff on me mittenz

Colapop
2nd February 2007, 07:47
I am personally a fan of those clowns that just decide, without the courtesy of indicating, that they will change lanes into the smallest gap. Then realise thathere isn't actually a gap there and sit partway into the other expecting all to move out of their way...

GSX-RJIM
2nd February 2007, 08:00
Not just that either...
What about the dorks who have a free left onto their own left lane, where there is a straight through right lane? ie a single lane becomes two after the feeder.
Dorks give way - who to???

I hate tossers that do that, I all ways make sure they know I hate them.

LXS
2nd February 2007, 20:35
Yeah how hard is it to plan your journey, ie. if you want to take the next turn off 2kms away, start getting into the left lane, rather than cutting across 3+ lanes at the last minute.
OMFG theres my turnoff, vroommm, shit theres 3 lanes of cars in my way :bye:

Another thing that pisses me off are people who don't know how to indicate at roundabouts?
It really isn't that hard, if your going straight through put left indicator on before entering desired road, NOT your right indicator then your left one. FFS this just confuses the shit out of me & the other 3 million road users.

Another thing people who overtake you then turn off into side street/driveway/mcd less than a minute after overtaking, why overtake? Does the extra 0.3 of a second really matter? Pride? Bitterness?

sigh

MikeyG
20th April 2007, 13:38
or a decent heavy boot will remove.

I've got some steel caps you can borrow fatjim

vamr
20th April 2007, 15:26
... rather than cutting across 3+ lanes at the last minute.

See it on the khyber pass offramp in Auckland on a daily basis.

The best by far was me going onto the offramp, the dotted line turns solid... out of the corner of my eye I see this shape come screaming along, cutting through 2 lanes of traffic and starts to merge into me.

I hit the brakes to find this old man piloted nana-wagon jumping in front of me as I'm sitting on the horn. He looks into his rear view mirror, glares and starts shaking his head.

So I shake my head to return the gesture. Upon seeing this disapproval he follows in suit.... this head shaking ping-pong continued for a good 5 minutes until I got bored and took the turn left.

Love it! :third:

Deano
20th April 2007, 15:43
I love it when you give someone a questioning look or raise your hands to question to their foolish driving antics, then they have the sodding cheek to flip you the bird, when they are in the wrong.

I keep needling away at them until the fist shaking starts then I larf, my job is done. Have a nice day chodeboy.

McDuck
21st April 2007, 01:00
Farkin idiots. Cages who stop in the middle lane because they want to get into the left or right hand lane piss me off. None more so than those who do it trying to get onto the Terrace off ramp. The motorway bends left and goes over a rise so it's a blind corner. The right hand and middle lane here is always doing a hundred so it's a real menace.

because there stopid:yes:

McDuck
21st April 2007, 01:06
I love it when you give someone a questioning look or raise your hands to question to their foolish driving antics, then they have the sodding cheek to flip you the bird, when they are in the wrong.

I keep needling away at them until the fist shaking starts then I larf, my job is done. Have a nice day chode boy.

What am i supposed to do if i finish a monover realizing it was stupid and wanting to say sorry?:sick:

Kittyhawk
21st April 2007, 01:46
Take what ever you can out....weather its mirrors, doors, denting a bonnet or the driver!

Why not just hop off the bike when the car stops and yell at them?!

I've done that once to a bunch of guys in Manukau...prob not the best thing to do as Im female and was alone...they were islanders :shutup:

But they threw a glass bottle onto the motorway which almost hit me..

Aww just do what ever feels right hun...

Im going to quietly pass out now lol!:innocent:

Disco Dan
21st April 2007, 02:22
Another thing that pisses me off are people who don't know how to indicate at roundabouts?
It really isn't that hard, if your going straight through put left indicator on before entering desired road, NOT your right indicator then your left one. FFS this just confuses the shit out of me & the other 3 million road users.

if im going straight ahead, I will indicate right untill I pass the left hand turn off, then indicate left and turn off.

If you want to go straight and indicate left, everyone sitting waiting and giving way to you will pull out on you because the think your going left!!!!

Did I read your post wrong???

Max Preload
21st April 2007, 10:33
if im going straight ahead, I will indicate right untill I pass the left hand turn off, then indicate left and turn off.

If you want to go straight and indicate left, everyone sitting waiting and giving way to you will pull out on you because the think your going left!!!!

What you're doing is technically wrong and may lead to someone pulling onto the roundabout of a multilane roundabout in front of you. But it has it's merits too - at least they know you aren't just one of those people who just never indicate and if you indicate left at the earliest possible time (not as you actually go to exit the roundabout), no harm done.

Besides, who carries survey equipment to determine what is actually straight through, and what's the maximum allowable deviation before a straight through becomes a right turn? It's too subjective and subjective things should not be left to NZ's idiot drivers.

Ixion
21st April 2007, 10:42
In many cases roundabouts now have arrows painted on the approach lanes, showing how the authorities view the roundabout . I follow their guidance. For instance , sometimes a left lane will have a left arrow and a right arrow, the right lane a right arrow and a "righter" arrow. In that case I assume there is no straight through option.

The Pastor
21st April 2007, 13:38
indicators give away your next move, best not to use them and don't expect others to use them either, always assume the car is going to hit you and run away.

cowboyz
21st April 2007, 14:04

sigh

This really pisses me off. The whole indication at roundabout things is a complete fuckup and people should be being booked for dangerous driving when screwign it up.

I was in a hurry the other day and following a car leading up to a roundabout he indicated right. Fine.. I know it is against the rules but there would have been enough room I dart up the left side of the car while its on the roundabout expecting the car to turn right. He didn't. Instead, when he got on the roundabout he indicated left to go striaght through.
It actually wasn't that close cause I am always expecting as much from morons but had to jump on the brakes a bit to bring the bike back round behind the car.

cowboyz
21st April 2007, 14:08

i should have kept reading. This is exactly what I am talking about. It makes no sense at all to indicate right if going striaght through the roundabout. If you must indicate then indicate left before the exit you are planning to take but AFTER the previous exit.

Its not rocket science.

Disco Dan
21st April 2007, 14:12
i should have kept reading. This is exactly what I am talking about. It makes no sense at all to indicate right if going striaght through the roundabout. If you must indicate then indicate left before the exit you are planning to take but AFTER the previous exit.

Its not rocket science.

Better to indicate right than not at all in my view, distances myself from those drivers that dont indicate at all - and for that brief moment other road users can semi-trust that I will be going in the direction of my indicator.

cowboyz
21st April 2007, 14:34
and by going in the direction of your indicator you mean going striaght through instead of turning right?

boomer
21st April 2007, 14:54
the sitting in the middle or fast lane when the inside lanes are clear cracks me up.... is there some sort of taboo going on here or is it small dick syndrome??

WHY THE FUCK DO YOU HAVE TO SIT IN THE MIDDLE OR FAST LANE WHEN THERES NOTHING ON THE INSIDE???

FUCKTARDS! and I condone the kicking of mirrors, they're only extra weight anyway.. no fucker over here uses 'em :third:

kevie
22nd April 2007, 22:23
Its cos cagedrivers cant think beyond their windscreens
aaaaahhhhhh the marvels of *555 tho hehe.

I followed a cage through the Manawatu Gorge one day, he crossed the double yellows (and cut blind corners on occasion) a total of 19 times (calculate that at a potential $150 fine per offence) .... I stopped when he did at the Woodville caltex and gave him an earfull at his total stupidity and told him if I wasnt feeling so "not carish" Id report him and get him fined; He said he hadnt realised he had done it .... thats the thing with cage drivers (guess us bikers do it to)................ we do things so often they become habit and you do it without regard for the dangers associated with the actions untill it all goes to custard.

I learned to drive in 1969 (taught by a traffic officer (Don Williams) in Wanganui) and remember a comment he made >>>>>>>> "MAKE SAFE DRIVING A HABIT"
Always remembered that and I try to impliment it by conciously trying to do everything with "what if" in mind ......... I do around a quarter million KM's a year as a linehaul trucker, in my car and on the bike and so far have never had an 'at fault' road traffic accident. The Credit goes to a dam good driving instructor right from the start.

KLOWN
23rd April 2007, 02:36
Better to indicate right than not at all in my view, distances myself from those drivers that dont indicate at all - and for that brief moment other road users can semi-trust that I will be going in the direction of my indicator.

no its not. you indicate right when your going straight through on a 2 lane roundabout and it will encourage someone to join the roundabout thinking (i dont know y) that you will be turning right.

the road code clealy states. if your going straight you indicate your exit, only ! turning right indicate right then indicate your exit turning left indicate left. when you come up to an intersection and you go straight through do you indicate right? no.

90s
3rd May 2007, 10:14
As a pom I am so used to roundabouts - some the size of wellington - that I can not fathom how people can't grasp the simple indication rules. Peter Griffin the NZH Canvas mag wrote a bit about how imcomphrehensible the rules are, which although was meant to be funny, I thought pretty sad.

(poitnless bit here - skip to the end ... In fact when I used to go up to Uni on the A11 I saw the joy of a 40 mile dead straight dual-carraigeway with aweseom visibility puntuated every mile by a large roundabout with hardly ever any joining traffic. This might be classic British fetish for pointless roundabouts but turned a very boring drive into a chicance tastic outing as it was both safe and possible to mainline the roundabouts bam-bam-bam.)

Anyhoo, back to the main discussion point, I really can't understand the new SH16 / SH1 intersection in central Auckland. This is a recently opened billion dollar project, and althought they have changed most of the way traffic operates they have kept the most stupid bit - a single lane for traffic to move onto SH1 south, and this is in the middle of the other lanes. Every morning what you have is one central lane crawling or stopped up to several Ks back, and countless twats cutting the queue even if it means stopping in clear 100k lanes. As in other cases, other road users swerving around these.
Keeping this lane in the middle of motorway really makes the problem worse. I can't believe there wasn't a better way to handle this where such dangerous conditions arne't encourage by the road design.
And bad driving discourage by the police - never seen it here althought they are always out with speed cameras.

90s
3rd May 2007, 10:21
the sitting in the middle or fast lane when the inside lanes are clear

Man that drives me insane too. In the states there is generally no lane discipline - overtake any side. Works for them - just. Having driven for years in Europe, inc. on Autobahns, a lack of lane discipline would = you're toast. With beemers coming up the outside lane at 200k+ you dont wan't to wander into their way in a 2CV at 100.
Coming here the way people drive I assumed that there was no lane discipline and asked a neighbour, a traffic cop, about it.
He told me there was no LD here, overtake on the motorway as you wished etc. He was totally serious.
Man was I shocked when I had to take the NZ theory test for a local licence: (bit of a joke anyway but ... ) Same rules as the UK, keep left, no 'fast lane' etc. And when I 'wave' at people sitting in the middle lane on a clear highway to get the hell over, I am pretty sure they have no idea what the hell my problem is.