PDA

View Full Version : Heading down to roll with you kiwis

Keytickler
1st February 2007, 15:54
Myself and two mates from the US are heading to NZ in late March to tour around for a couple of weeks. Two of the three of us will be visiting NZ for the first time. We've already arranged to hire Beemers in Auckland for our tour, which will be totally self-guided.

Of course, we've got our share of different guide books and info to study before our arrival. We plan to ride around both the North and South Islands, starting and ending in Auckland.

But . . . it would be great to get some tips and suggestions from you all of places to see, roads to ride, roads to avoid, and anything else that will help us totally enjoy our visit. I plan to spend time reading through some of the many threads in this section of the forum during the next weeks.

I'm really looking forward to my visit.

I've got a Yamaha FZ1 (is it called a Fazer in NZ?), and have done a bit of touring here in the US each of the past many years. I also commute regularly on my bike, and enjoy some weekend riding as well. I'll let my traveling mates post up about themselves if they wish.

So, bring it on! I look forward to your suggestions and guidance.

Keytickler

Paul in NZ
1st February 2007, 16:16
Argh! More bloody Tourists....

(just kidding)

Either of these 2 books will see you right, or at least point you in the right direction.

http://www.mcycle.co.nz/books.htm

Points to remember are:

1. NZ really IS Gods own country as far as riding bikes go BUT we still have scumbags. If you look like a tourist and you leave your bikes all packed up with valuable and easily detachable goodies all over it parked in the street - some wanker will eventually consider you fair game! Sorry - I expect the same thing would happen in New York too. Remote carparks full of camper vans? It's like a supermarket to some people.

2. Kiwis are real friendly - don't be amazed if someone offers you a bed for the night or something. Ah stuff it - theres room on the sofa for you at our place..

3. For goodness sake - don't ride shw 1 the whole way... It's horrible.

4. Folks on KB will probably meet up with you for day rides and offer to take you places - go - you will see some great roads.

5. Do the Milford Sound road.

6. Go to St Bathans before the developers ruin it

7. If you get to Wanganui - Vicki and I will ride up and show you a few short cuts that will take you 3 times as long. (provided we are back from our holidays)

8. Have fun - ride safe

Paul N

crashe
1st February 2007, 16:24
Kia ora and welcome to New Zealand.

This is most blardy important for you to know and remember.......

Stay on the LEFT side of the road.......
You guys are used to riding on the right hand side.

If you cross over that centre line....... someone will slam into you.

So stick something on the left hand side of the handlebar to remind you where to ride.

Lots of great roads here.... but 3 weeks aint long enough to see all of NZ.
You need longer time to see our beautiful country.
Bring your digi camera with lots of memory sticks... cos you will take heaps of pics.

Paul in NZ
1st February 2007, 16:26
Oi - bugger off Crashe - I saw them first - I get first plunder OK :innocent:

Nah - she makes a good point. Our roads are narrow and have big trucks - pass with care and remember to cross back onto the other side - you would not be the first star spangled coffins to be shipped home after forgetting that little gem. In fact the rentals will have a blurdy big arrow to remind you!

davereid
1st February 2007, 16:28
Bring Sunscreen, and a woolly hat and a coat, cos in March - April, you will get cooked, snowed on and it will rain. Mostly likely all three, every day. And easter is in there somewhere so it will rain heavily, cos we always arrange that for the holidays.

mstriumph
1st February 2007, 16:29
hi and welcome! 3 weeks won't be long enough?

crashe
1st February 2007, 16:30
Oi - bugger off Crashe - I saw them first - I get first plunder OK :innocent:

Ok ok ok ok.............. gees whiskers..........
Ok you can have them all to your self.........

Buttttttttttt you did forget to tell them the rule re staying on right side of the road. You know the Left side.:dodge: :dodge: :dodge: :dodge:

Edit: I see you have added in more........ ya towrag.... :rofl:

Mrs Busa Pete
1st February 2007, 16:30
Yes yes i know it was said.
But if you need beds in Auckland we have spares here. Whats more this is a nice piece of the country to see.

Paul in NZ
1st February 2007, 16:33
Ok ok ok ok.............. gees whiskers..........
Ok you can have them all to your self.........

Buttttttttttt you did forget to tell them the rule re staying on right side of the road. You know the Left side.:dodge: :dodge: :dodge: :dodge:

Hey I shaved this morning!

(I did acknowledge your point gorgeous....) :rockon:

Motu
1st February 2007, 16:34
Bloody Yanks - like,isn't their own country big enough,that they have to come over and use ours?

In the much neglected North Island you have to do SH43,The Forgotten Highway,on the west side,and on the east the road through the Urewera's to Lake Waikarimoana,both close to ''how it used to be''.

There are a lot of silly little museums in small towns over the country - seek them out because some are real gems.For example in Dargaville they have taken an old photogragh of Gum Diggers,and made a mural on the wall....and for the display they have made brand new gum digging equipment,the local engineers copying the originals.This sort of community commitment is everywhere.

Enjoy your stay...pitch a tent amoungst the stray animals in my backyard - you can't sleep on the couch...it's taken....

Mom
1st February 2007, 16:36
Sounds like you are going to have a wonderful time here, look us up, we are about an hour north of Auckland city and can show you some nice roads heading north that will take you off the main highway. Always a shower and a feed here, beds ???????? dependant on kids movements....PM Maha man or myself

crashe
1st February 2007, 16:38
Hey I shaved this morning!

(I did acknowledge your point gorgeous....) :rockon:

Yeah I know ya did....... but as I was posting, you went back in and added in more nice stuff...... you are such sweetie .....
Shit did I say that out loud........ shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

pete376403
1st February 2007, 16:49
The north Island is ok but the real good roads are in the South Island. Far fewer people down there too (of 4 million in the country, almost 3/4 live in the North - and it seems like most of the North Islanders are in Auckland)

Police here have a real attitude about speeding - 100km/hr open road limit). If you get stopped you may be able to talk your way out if you tell them you're from nevada or some place that doesn't have speed limits.

Ferry trip between North and South is a three hour cruise. On a fine day it is great, however bad weather can make it "interesting"

Blackbird
1st February 2007, 18:27
You'll love it here! Grab this book from Amazon if you don't already have it: Great Escapes : A Guide To Motorcycle Touring in New Zealand (Spiral-bound) by P. Mitchell. It's superb. He also does the NZ Motorcycle Atlas which is also a "must have".

NighthawkNZ
1st February 2007, 19:03
Be on State HWY 1 as least as possible... its a crap road... Do as many of the inland and back roads... much more fun... South Island is probably the better of the too Islands (not being Bias or anything) it has the mountain range and many passes that are great rides... oh oh and the west coast...

Any way enjoy your ride and visit, keep left, and rubber side down, If you make it to Dunedin let me know and come have a coffee...

:scooter:

WarlockNZ
1st February 2007, 19:09
Just point the bike in a direction and ride!!! ... take some turn offs, double back when you hit gravel and bring a tent! .. LOL .. I have no doubt that if you take some time to plan a road trip that the wonderful guys and gals of KB will put you up for the night all over the country.

just a side note ... ruatoria ... hmmm ... not so much .. LOL

Colapop
1st February 2007, 19:13
Kin yous guys ride around corners? They're like the roads you have over there just not straight!
Waipoua Forrest,
Coro(mandel) Loop,
State Highway 16
East Cape
and you'll find more if you stay off the main roads.

Jantar
1st February 2007, 19:23
Make sure that you visit this site daily during your trip and You'll find willing guides and riding partners all over the country. Three weeks is just barely long enough, but only if you spend day 1 getting from Auckland to Wellington, days 2 to 20 in the South Island and day 21 going from Wellington to Auckland. Unfortunately with that time table you will miss out on both of the good roads in the North Island. :whistle:

scumdog
1st February 2007, 19:28
If I can drive a '68 Caddy while drunk down Van Nuys Boulevard without crashing them you guys should be O.K. riding in New Zealand sober.

Keep in contact via KB when you get here.

Grub
1st February 2007, 22:39
Great to have you here, as others have said, 3 weeks is marginally enough, you're going to have to be selective about what areas you go to. You might have to sacrafice some areas just so that you can get off the mains roads and take your time.

The long (nearly boring) rides are West Coast, South Island. You have to do it but it's a long couple of days and often covered in rain/mist. The other is also in the south between Fairlie/Burkes Pass and Christchurch. The trouble is, that with all of these, they lead to the most amazing scenery like the Haast Pass, the McKenzie Basin, Tekapo, Pukaki, Mt Cook, Lindus Pass ... I could go on ...

We've got 5 beds in Wellington for touring bikers, so call if you need a night before/after the ferry.

Brett

Keytickler
2nd February 2007, 05:01
You'll love it here! Grab this book from Amazon if you don't already have it: Great Escapes : A Guide To Motorcycle Touring in New Zealand (Spiral-bound) by P. Mitchell. It's superb. He also does the NZ Motorcycle Atlas which is also a "must have".

We've already got this book!

You guys are great, and I really appreciate your warm welcome, tips and comments. I know 3 weeks is not enough, and we don't even have that much time. Work at home, you know. If I remember our schedule correctly, we arrive in Auckland on March 20, and depart Auckland on April 3.

Twisties are no problem, and I look forward to riding them all over NZ. Where I live it is quite flat. However, I have taken a road trip in the US to the famous Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap in the Great Smoky Mountains each year for a major twisty infusion. 318 turns in 11 miles. Besides, it is possible to travel a bit from where I live and actually find some curvy roads. I'm totally cool with this kind of riding. It's one of the things we ride for anyway, right?

Keep those comments flying, and many thanks.

Keytickler

RedKLR650
3rd February 2007, 07:32
We've already got this book!

You guys are great, and I really appreciate your warm welcome, tips and comments. I know 3 weeks is not enough, and we don't even have that much time. Work at home, you know. If I remember our schedule correctly, we arrive in Auckland on March 20, and depart Auckland on April 3. Keytickler

Those Beemers you're hiring, are they adventure bikes or just road bikes ? If they are Dakars etc, and you fancy seeing some of the ' Lost ' counrty in the centre of the south island, there's a few 100km's of great shingle ( gravel ) roads I'd love to show you. As the others said, allow 2.5 weeks for the south island, and what's left over for the North Island.... And keep left !! :scooter:

Quasievil
3rd February 2007, 07:49
Hi Dude, PM me with your itinerary, I would happily spend a few days with you as a guide around East Cape or anywhere else in the NI.

sels1
3rd February 2007, 07:54
Welcome aboard the site Keytickler, did you find it by accident or did someone put you on to it? Good move anyway - plenty of friendly helpful bikers down this way. Enjoy your stay.

Keytickler
4th February 2007, 02:37
Thanks, guys. I'm on the Yamaha FZ1OA site regularly. A Kiwi member of this forum, now living in Australia, put me on to KB, so here I am. Glad I found you. We haven't formed our itinerary quite yet, as we're still studying up the guidebooks we have. As I said we're arriving and leaving from Auckland. Beyond that, no plans yet. The only reservations we'll make are for our hotel accomodations in Auckland at both ends. We'll probably make ferry crossing reservations, too, as I understand they may be necessary.Got any suggestions for a good itinerary otherwise?

We've hired two R1150RTs and one R1150GS. Our thinking at this point is to stick to paved roads, as there are plenty of great and empty ones throughout your beautiful country.

It would be great to ride with many of you at different times during our visit. Thanks very much for offering! Your company and knowledge will be most welcome to us as we tour.

Keytickler

kevfromcoro
4th February 2007, 05:42
hi,,if u are heading down to coromandell..i have a sleepout u can use if u wish, lots of parking.i ride a BM. may come up the coast with u 4 a ride,PM me if interested....KEV

Mrs Busa Pete
4th February 2007, 06:13
arriving and leaving from Auckland. Beyond that, no plans yet. The only reservations we'll make are for our hotel accomodations in Auckland at both ends.

Keytickler

Hi if you want to save some money we have enough spare beds here for you and would pick you up and drop off back at the airport. And to pick your bikes up. Up to you but offer there no problem.

Waylander
4th February 2007, 07:41
Bloody Yanks - like,isn't their own country big enough,that they have to come over and use ours?

Your roads down here are so much more fun though!

slowpoke
4th February 2007, 07:45
You guys didn't use this approach in Iraq did you?
I mean, like, write in to Iraqi Biker, scope out a few "good roads" from afar, then when somebody rocks up to meet you at the airport there's the whole 52nd Airborne Division waiting for a lift.
No? Just checkin'...........

Keytickler
5th February 2007, 03:22
Hi if you want to save some money we have enough spare beds here for you and would pick you up and drop off back at the airport. And to pick your bikes up. Up to you but offer there no problem.

Thanks for your most generous offer! I'll check with my mates on this. I really appreciate your kindness.

Keytickler

Keytickler
5th February 2007, 03:22
hi,,if u are heading down to coromandell..i have a sleepout u can use if u wish, lots of parking.i ride a BM. may come up the coast with u 4 a ride,PM me if interested....KEV
Thanks also, Kev. I'll be in touch.

Keytickler

Keytickler
5th February 2007, 03:24
I mean, like, write in to Iraqi Biker, scope out a few "good roads" from afar, then when somebody rocks up to meet you at the airport there's the whole 52nd Airborne Division waiting for a lift.

Funny!

I'm a rider, not a fighter.

Keytickler

slowpoke
5th February 2007, 04:39
Funny!

I'm a rider, not a fighter.

Keytickler

Good on you Keytickler, 'twas a lousy attempt at humour if I say so myself!

I've been back in the country for nearly a year now (six months really 'cos I spend half my time at work in Australia) after 15years living/working in Australia, and I'm still amazed at this place. You don't have to look too far to find some great roads, great people and great things to see and do.

Rather than blindly suggest what you may like, how's about telling us what you might be interested in? Adventure type stuff, mountain roads, coastal touring, rain forests, rural meanderings etc

Meanie
5th February 2007, 05:39
Hi and welcome
If you are traveling through Palmerston North area we have spare beds here if you need them
Keep us informed of your whereabouts and intentions and you will be sure to have many of us tag along for a ride and quite proudly show you our most awesome country, but as someone has already said be carefull cause like everywhere else there is always some tosser that thinks he deserves your stuff more than you :yes:
I want to do the same in your country one day

limbimtimwim
5th February 2007, 06:43
As already mentioned: MILFORD SOUND ROAD

After that, I would strongly suggest you bias your time towards the South Island, rather than the North.

The North Island has some good scenery and some good roads. But the South has the best scenery and the best roads.

elle-f
5th February 2007, 16:41
If you want good food and a place to stay the night just over the Rimutaka Hill out of Wellington on your way back to Auckland - let us know

Keytickler
17th February 2007, 08:36
Well, mates, our plans are beginning to gel a bit. We've got reservations for our ferry crossings now.

To refresh, we three arrive all bleary eyed in Auckland on March 18.
Our ferry from Wellington to Picton is on March 22.
Our ferry from Picton to Wellington is on March 30.
We depart NZ from Auckland by plane on April 3.

That's the full extent of our planning thus far. Any suggestions from you all on great itineraries or routes to fill in our time on North and South Islands will be gratefully accepted.

We are getting excited now! :scooter: Can't wait to visit your beautiful country.

Keytickler

crashe
17th February 2007, 09:24
march 18 isnt too far away...........

SixPackBack
17th February 2007, 10:02

Hey slowpoke......kiwi hospitaility...manners:angry:

Ignore the negative comments keytickler you are warmly welcome in N.Z. Enjoy your stay.

Keytickler
28th February 2007, 05:13
march 18 isnt too far away...........

Nope, it's not! I've just returned from my last business trip before departing for NZ, and it's time to start getting really excited now. We're calling this our Glutton for Mutton NZ '07 tour. WooHoo! I've got to recheck my air travel arrangements to confirm if we arrive on the 18th or 19th. Travel time approaches!

Keytickler

crashe
28th February 2007, 07:06
Nope, it's not! I've just returned from my last business trip before departing for NZ, and it's time to start getting really excited now. We're calling this our Glutton for Mutton NZ '07 tour. WooHoo! I've got to recheck my air travel arrangements to confirm if we arrive on the 18th or 19th. Travel time approaches!

Keytickler

Lets us know when and what time you land........

Remember to ride on the left lane of the road.....(not the right)
100kph speed limit on motorway's and open roads, unless otherwise stated.
50kms per hour around the cities.
60 to 70kph in rural country towns - check the sign posts as you are entering the townships, for the speed limit. Some are 60 and some are 70kph.
Roundabouts - indicate just before exiting. If you are going right..... then indicate 'right' and then indicate 'left' as you are to exit off.
School zones - check your speed limit - if signs up - obey that speed sign.

Country road twisties - Stick to your side of the road, as people tend to cut corners.

Thats the basics things to remember..... just enjoy our roads and hospitality.... and have fun in New Zealand.

limbimtimwim
28th February 2007, 09:56
The above rules don't apply if you are riding a Harley. Then you are only allowed to go at 20km/h MAX everywhere so your tassels don't wave around too intensely and spook the sheep.

Macktheknife
28th February 2007, 11:20
You guys are in for a treat! I recently hosted a guy from Seattle, who assured me that the Coromandel loop is much better than the 'Tail of the Dragon', something to look forward to. I also recommend the Maungamuka Gorge in Northland, one of the best roads in the country.
My suggestion for what it is worth, is head north from Auckland to Waipoua forest and up to the gorge, fantastic scenery and awesome roads. Then down through the Bay of Islands, past Auckland and on to Coromandel. Then East Cape to Napier, then on to Wellington for the ferry.
South Island, turn right at Picton and take Queen Charlotte Drive to Nelson and then on to Takaka Hill. Continue down West Coast to Greymouth and take Arthurs Pass to Christchurch and Akaroa. Down the East coast to the Caitlins, then across to Milford Sound. Back up the west coast and do the Glaciers.
This misses out a lot of cool stuff but should give you a great taste of the country, most people will return for another tour after this as they just can't get enough of NZ on a bike.
Best of luck and remember to keep us all informed so we can catch up for a beer and a ride on the way.
Mack

Waylander
28th February 2007, 12:44
Roundabouts - indicate just before exiting. If you are going right..... then indicate 'right' and then indicate 'left' as you are to exit off.

interesting thing about that. Riding through Tauranga and Hamilton last night I kept seeing cars that would indicate right even though they were in the left lane of the roundabout. Then halfway through, turn the indicators off and proceed straight through. Nothing they did made me thing they were going right made me think they were except for the indicator. Alot of people must not understand that rule even now some year after they put it in.

Easier and makes more sense to just indicate right when turning right, left when turning left and nothing when going straight. I havn't been pulled over yet either.

Keytickler
28th February 2007, 14:58
Lets us know when and what time you land........

Remember to ride on the left lane of the road.....(not the right)
100kph speed limit on motorway's and open roads, unless otherwise stated.
50kms per hour around the cities.
60 to 70kph in rural country towns - check the sign posts as you are entering the townships, for the speed limit. Some are 60 and some are 70kph.
School zones - check your speed limit - if signs up - obey that speed sign.

Country road twisties - Stick to your side of the road, as people tend to cut corners.

Thats the basics things to remember..... just enjoy our roads and hospitality.... and have fun in New Zealand.

Thanks for the tips, crashe. I'm not so worried about the keep left thing. Roundabouts, however, are rare where I live. They will be a bit unnerving at first, I'm sure.

Keytickler

Keytickler
28th February 2007, 15:00
The above rules don't apply if you are riding a Harley. Then you are only allowed to go at 20km/h MAX everywhere so your tassels don't wave around too intensely and spook the sheep.

:rofl: :rofl:

We're hiring beemers.

Keytickler

Keytickler
28th February 2007, 15:02
You guys are in for a treat! I recently hosted a guy from Seattle, who assured me that the Coromandel loop is much better than the 'Tail of the Dragon', something to look forward to. I also recommend the Maungamuka Gorge in Northland, one of the best roads in the country.
My suggestion for what it is worth, is head north from Auckland to Waipoua forest and up to the gorge, fantastic scenery and awesome roads. Then down through the Bay of Islands, past Auckland and on to Coromandel. Then East Cape to Napier, then on to Wellington for the ferry.
South Island, turn right at Picton and take Queen Charlotte Drive to Nelson and then on to Takaka Hill. Continue down West Coast to Greymouth and take Arthurs Pass to Christchurch and Akaroa. Down the East coast to the Caitlins, then across to Milford Sound. Back up the west coast and do the Glaciers.
This misses out a lot of cool stuff but should give you a great taste of the country, most people will return for another tour after this as they just can't get enough of NZ on a bike.
Best of luck and remember to keep us all informed so we can catch up for a beer and a ride on the way.
Mack

Thanks for the suggestions, Mack. I'll share them with my mates. I think we're heading first for Tauranga out of Auckland, as one of my mates has a good friend with whom we're staying the first night. But . . . all plans are subject to change.

Keytickler

crashe
28th February 2007, 15:06
Thanks for the tips, crashe. I'm not so worried about the keep left thing. Roundabouts, however, are rare where I live. They will be a bit unnerving at first, I'm sure.

Keytickler

Just dont speed up to them or speed going around them.

Some roundabouts over here are different sizes......
Some are real smallish/tight, while others are quite big.

Some roundabouts are very low in height....... while others are quite high...

If you get in the wrong lane...... just find your way out safely and keep going up that road til you find a safe place to turn back around and get into the correct lane to go throu the roundabout to head in the correct direction you are wanting to go to.

Better to be safe than cut someone off and be hit or abused.

Meanie
28th February 2007, 17:47
Just dont speed up to them or speed going around them.

Some roundabouts over here are different sizes......
Some are real smallish/tight, while others are quite big.

If you get in the wrong lane...... just find your way out safely and keep going up that road til you find a safe place to turn back around and get into the correct lane to go throu the roundabout to head in the correct direction you are wanting to go to.

Better to be safe than cut someone off and be hit or abused.
Above all make sure you enter them on the left side or youll have some pretty fancy manouvering to do:shit:

SDU
9th March 2007, 13:19
Looming close to your adventure. Hope you enjoy your time over here & if you can let people know where you are heading as you go, maybe some will be able to meet up with you for a drink or show you some places to ride.
If in ChCh you have to do the ride to Akaroa & around the peninsula but beware the roads are being hit hard by the police, so keep an eye on the speed, I think they are trying to gather extra revenue. There is a cycle race on the last Saturday of March, from CHCH to Akaroa so avoid going then as traffic will be hardly moving.
Cheers

DMNTD
9th March 2007, 13:33
Thanks for the suggestions, Mack. I'll share them with my mates. I think we're heading first for Tauranga out of Auckland, as one of my mates has a good friend with whom we're staying the first night. But . . . all plans are subject to change.

Keytickler

We're down 'ere in Tauranga so call out if you need/want a guide.
You NEED to ride the Coromandel Loop if coming down this way....essential! :yes:
Oh yeah...spare beds etc

5cotty
11th March 2007, 08:51
HiYa and Welcome, If you get down to Christchurch take a tour along the summit road to Akaroa, Its an Awesome ride with great views.... Just take your time tho guys as there are no barriers and it's a long way down!!

Drop me an e-mail if you want some company and the wife and I will show you where the good Bars Are !!!! :rockon:

Stay upright and watch out for the wettas :dodge:

scumdog
11th March 2007, 16:40

Oi, you trying to dis me or something???

My tassles are my version of sliders - I don't get my knees down, I just watch for my tassles on my elbows scraping on the ground on the tight bends to know if I'm getting to the lean-limit of my bike.:yes: :lol: :killingme

doc
11th March 2007, 17:01
All the KB'r on this thread who have offered accomodation to these tourist should be ashamed. I went to the South Island once and no one offered me this sort of support. So have hatched a "cunning plan" for my next trip to the Monkey. I will register under an assumed name mention I'm from a foreign land and await the accommodation offers. Just note that I don't drink Speights. Reckon it will work too. Us Jaffa's sound different than those Southlanders.

doc
11th March 2007, 17:06
Better to be safe than cut someone off and be hit or abused. Does this happen to you a lot, I mean are you speaking from experience here ?

crashe
11th March 2007, 17:20
Does this happen to you a lot, I mean are you speaking from experience here ?

hahahaha...... good one.....

Actually, thou, I do see it a lot....... and watching and waiting for a accident to happen..... at roundabouts....... as people cut others off right in the middle going round the roundabout..... as they decide to change lanes...

Keytickler
12th March 2007, 14:49
OK, I've been traveling for a few days, and now I'm home again. Our departure approaches!!! Needless to say, we are getting very excited to visit you and your beautiful country. This week's after work mental activity will be dedicated to planning and packing. Don't worry, two of us will have our laptops so we can stay in touch!

I spent part of this weekend highlighting my large map of both islands with the 4 and 5 smiley face rides from the Great Escapes motorcycle guide book. So much to see and places to ride--so little time.

Thanks again. Stay tuned! I'll be posting up before we depart.

Keytickler

Keytickler
16th March 2007, 04:03
This is difficult, but I've had to cancel my trip to NZ. My father-in-law has suddenly taken quite sick. It will be better for me to stay nearby rather than vacation during the next few weeks.

I'm disappointed on many levels. Firstly, that my FIL's mortality is now so imminent. Secondly, that I'll not have the opportunity to tour through your beautiful country during the next few weeks. However, NZ will be around for a long time. My FIL will not.

My two mates are still traveling, though. I have pointed them to this site and this thread. I'm betting that they will post up en route so as to meet up with many of you as they tour the North and South Islands. Both of them will be traveling with their laptop computers, so it should be easy for them to post up. I hope they will. You all have been so incredibly hospitable and generous in your postings to me.

Another time for me, fellow riders. I look forward to that day.

Keytickler

Mrs Busa Pete
16th March 2007, 05:48
Sorry to hear that mate hope your father in law gets better soon. As you said New Zealdand isn't going anywhere so hopfully you will get here some time in the future take care.

crashe
16th March 2007, 07:50
Sorry to hear that mate hope your father in law gets better soon. As you said New Zealdand isn't going anywhere so hopfully you will get here some time in the future take care.

ditto .......... to what Mrs busa pete said....

Take care mate.

tsotsi2
16th March 2007, 13:21
Good evening folks -
I notice that our friend Keith has broken the news about his cancellation. Both Mike and I will try and have an awesome time to report back to him....

Our approx schedule is here for you to abuse, vent and generally kick my butt !!!
Arrive in Auckland at 4am on the 19th.... NUTS.
Run around town a little (I have a customer near the airport - very convenient !!) The on to Experience Motorcycles for last minute shopping...
The over the bridge to collect our Beemers - I am riding the 1150 GS and Mike is riding the 1150 RT... yeeehaaa !!! Around lunch time we are heading to Mt. Maunganui to visit an old friend of mine (yup, its a girl !!!)
We will overnight there.
We have the ferry booked on the 22nd at 2pm.... and then again on the 30th for the return.
What shall we do ?? Y'all can tell us.... just be gentle...

I know we cannot do it all but shoot - we will return.....

I cannot wait to hang with you folks.... please stay in touch

Mark

Colapop
16th March 2007, 13:24
Why can't you shoot? Is that a Merkin thing? Does that mean you can shoot, just not accurately? There's plenty of people here that you can shoot with or there's places you can go to shoot...

Or are you not talking about guns..?

tsotsi2
17th March 2007, 05:51
No shooting, just trying to be polite !!!

Colapop
17th March 2007, 06:20
Merkin = American. Local term meaning general incompetence!!

Not really but it's fun to have a dig at you fella's

Waylander
17th March 2007, 10:45

I had figured it was because people here were to lazy to say American.

Meanie
17th March 2007, 11:43
This is difficult, but I've had to cancel my trip to NZ. My father-in-law has suddenly taken quite sick. It will be better for me to stay nearby rather than vacation during the next few weeks.

I'm disappointed on many levels. Firstly, that my FIL's mortality is now so imminent. Secondly, that I'll not have the opportunity to tour through your beautiful country during the next few weeks. However, NZ will be around for a long time. My FIL will not.

My two mates are still traveling, though. I have pointed them to this site and this thread. I'm betting that they will post up en route so as to meet up with many of you as they tour the North and South Islands. Both of them will be traveling with their laptop computers, so it should be easy for them to post up. I hope they will. You all have been so incredibly hospitable and generous in your postings to me.

Another time for me, fellow riders. I look forward to that day.

Keytickler

Hope your FIL gets better, i lost mine quite a few years ago to cancer you couldnt meat a nicer bloke, such a shame

Meanie
17th March 2007, 11:46
Good evening folks -
I notice that our friend Keith has broken the news about his cancellation. Both Mike and I will try and have an awesome time to report back to him....

Our approx schedule is here for you to abuse, vent and generally kick my butt !!!
Arrive in Auckland at 4am on the 19th.... NUTS.
Run around town a little (I have a customer near the airport - very convenient !!) The on to Experience Motorcycles for last minute shopping...
The over the bridge to collect our Beemers - I am riding the 1150 GS and Mike is riding the 1150 RT... yeeehaaa !!! Around lunch time we are heading to Mt. Maunganui to visit an old friend of mine (yup, its a girl !!!)
We will overnight there.
We have the ferry booked on the 22nd at 2pm.... and then again on the 30th for the return.
What shall we do ?? Y'all can tell us.... just be gentle...

I know we cannot do it all but shoot - we will return.....

I cannot wait to hang with you folks.... please stay in touch

Mark

Hi Mark welcome to kb and youll have a blast down here we do, keep us posted on your whereabouts and plans many of us will meet up if you keep posting
Beds here in Palmerston North if you need them just pm me

scumdog
17th March 2007, 22:35

Not true.
Merkin = a pubic hairpiece.

(DON'T bother asking why anybody would want a pubic hairpiece!!:gob: )

Keytickler
19th March 2007, 02:01
Hope your FIL gets better, i lost mine quite a few years ago to cancer you couldnt meat a nicer bloke, such a shame

Thanks Meanie.

Mark and Michael are in the air as I type this. Hope some of y'all can meet up with them during their trip. They're great guys, and I know they are looking forward to being in your beautiful country.

Keytickler

Keytickler
19th March 2007, 02:02

Actually, Mark is a South African living in America. Michael is American.

Let the games begin!

Keytickler

tsotsi2
1st April 2007, 19:43
Folks -

I apologize for not visiting anyone... we have been so busy riding and not have regular internet means often we just collapse after a long ride...
Suffice to say it has been an awesome ride and we will be back.
I will report on the trip soonest....

We are in Tairua - leaving for Auckland in the am.

See ya - Mark