PDA

View Full Version : Damn! Nail in tyre

dreamR
1st February 2007, 18:55
i got home tonight and my mate noticed a nail in my rear tyre.it was deep in the side part of the tyre,the part that contacts the road while turning.
i wasnt sure if it was right in or what not so i pulled it out a little and air started pissing out.
its actully a small screw type thing ,i cant remember the correct name but it has a sort of sqaured nail part at the tip then goes into self tapping thead.its only 10 or 12mm long.
very gutting.
does anybody know if this kind of damage is repairable?
its on my cbr250rr so its 17 inch and its a michelen pilot race tyre so not to cheap to replace,i dont think there even available in nz.
ive just screwed the screw back in as to stop the air coming out.would it be recomended to ride it to a bike shop?or is that quite dodgy?
it may be a mission for me to take the wheel off,(no stand etc)

any advice(and condolences:yes: ) will be very much appretiated

cheers kirk

WarlockNZ
1st February 2007, 18:59
Dude .. sorry to hear that ... not sure if it can be repaired ... but if it can ... i'm sure you'll hear about it ... nails in car tyres are a simple job ... don't see why it should be any different for bikes.

dreamR
1st February 2007, 19:15
cheers man.
yeah i hope they can be repaired.new tyres are quite pricey

Hotchefnz
2nd February 2007, 06:26
Know the feeling I had a new rear tyre exact same thing happened, only about 300km on the thing - but tyre shop put a plug in it as it was right on the edge of the tyre....... problem is I have this thing about pushing it to hard and this thing popping out or blowing so havent put it back on the bike.
Its a safety thing. always in my mind.
Tyre shop said it would be good as but I'm unsure - though only cost $25 to plug up and a good job was done on it.
Be interested to hear other riders thoughts on this.

The Pastor
2nd February 2007, 08:13
u'll be sweet bro thoses things never come out.

dreamR
4th February 2007, 08:33
got a plug put in it.so glad it was that easy!
hopefully its sweet

qldzxr250a
15th February 2007, 09:25
never had a problem with the plugs i had in my gpr's i pushed them like normal.

MSTRS
15th February 2007, 09:50
That was a tek screw. Unusual to get one of those, cos the tip is not that sharp. They are basically a drill bit with thread.
Internally applied tyre plugs are all good.