PDA

View Full Version : ZXR250 Rev problem

Tickler
1st February 2007, 19:17
My mate very wisely left the bike on over night:doh:

Anyway, he got a flat battery.
Now due to his circumstances, he was unable to push start the bike.
And being the spur of the moment, a battery jump start was used,
...but from a car!

Anyway, i find out that now the rev gauge goes up to 4k, then jumps straight up to 15k!
The bike is still at 4k, def not at 15k.

could the jump start from a car have done the electrics in? or have we just blown the fuse of something?

Any help appreciated!

surfer
1st February 2007, 21:16
My mate very wisely left the bike on over night:doh:

Anyway, he got a flat battery.
Now due to his circumstances, he was unable to push start the bike.
And being the spur of the moment, a battery jump start was used,
...but from a car!

Anyway, i find out that now the rev gauge goes up to 4k, then jumps straight up to 15k!
The bike is still at 4k, def not at 15k.

could the jump start from a car have done the electrics in? or have we just blown the fuse of something?

Any help appreciated!

When you did the jump start from the car was the car engine running? Normally you should not have the engine running on the car.

Yes, you mor than likely if you are really lucky have blown a fuse. Good job bikes have fuses me thinks.

Check all your fuses. Replace the blown ones.

If the fuses have not blown then you have more than likely done some damage to the electrics.

Good luck

Tickler
5th February 2007, 08:43
Quick update:

Upon checking the fuses, i looked in the junction box (fuse box) and find that a 30A fuse was being used instead of a 10A fuse.

We placed another bike battery in there and the neutral light would come on as usual, but the starter, lights , indicators brake lights would not work.

So we bump started the bike with the other battery in. It started, but ran extremely poorly, and the lights would go bright and dim. but the indictors and brake light etc would work.

So the bike still runs, and i doesnt seem to be the fuses or else it would run those circuts. So im guessing that its received damage to the electrical system.

I think it is something like the reticifer/regulator.
Short stroy: he's taking it to the shop to sort it out.

Surfer: Yes he did use the car battery with the car on :doh guess he will learn from that one.

Brett
5th February 2007, 16:23
I have a complete electrical system here in my garage I want to sell if your mate needs one.

Tickler
5th February 2007, 17:19
I wait till he takes it into the shop and finds out whats wrong, but when i do, ill probably get in touch with you brett, plus i know theres basically a whole parts bike sitting there still haha.

also brett, cheers for that info on the choke, ive got it sussed now.

ldnz
11th February 2007, 19:48
Anyone got a regulator going spare? My 6's is pretty much gone, and I want to try a different one before I build my own or bite the bullet and fork over $230...