PDA

View Full Version : Painting in wellington (Not flash)

Eddieb
4th August 2004, 16:39
Hi guys

I am wanting to get my bucket racer painted so it's not 10 different colours and fibreglass scars. I'm not after anything fancy.
Theres 2 pieces, a gs125 tank and a NSR125/250 style tail section, 1 colour with some black number boards on the tail section. It could do with a quick sand to take off some remaining bits of stickers but thats it I think. I'm not after a smooth finish base surface wise but would like an even paint finish, i.e no runs or shallow paint.

Can anyone locally on the board do this?
and if so how much.

Hitcher
4th August 2004, 17:59
Hi guys

I am wanting to get my bucket racer painted so it's not 10 different colours and fibreglass scars. I'm not after anything fancy.
Theres 2 pieces, a gs125 tank and a NSR125/250 style tail section, 1 colour with some black number boards on the tail section. It could do with a quick sand to take off some remaining bits of stickers but thats it I think. I'm not after a smooth finish base surface wise but would like an even paint finish, i.e no runs or shallow paint.

Can anyone locally on the board do this?
and if so how much.
I suspect you are after a quality job here, so won't volunteer my services with a spray bomb.

Kickaha
4th August 2004, 18:22
I suspect you are after a quality job here, so won't volunteer my services with a spray bomb.

Nah it's a bucket a bit of Dulux exterior white house paint and a brush will do fine :msn-wink:

Paul in NZ
4th August 2004, 18:33
Do it yourself mate..

Good quality laquer spray bomb will do the trick. Especially if it's gunna lead a tough life.

If you can wait. I'll be doing the trumpy tanks base colour soon (ish)

Cheers

Velox
4th August 2004, 23:00
Dean Carter down in Makara is pretty good, I got him to do my bike. He used to have a place in Aro Valley. Give him a call for a chat and a quote etc... You really have to let him know when you want it done by though if you've got a deadline. His number's: 4760401

Eddieb
5th August 2004, 09:26

Nah it's a bucket a bit of Dulux exterior white house paint and a brush will do fine :msn-wink:

Either would prossibly do just as well, the surface is rough and pitted anyway and the fibreglass rear section has been repaired a few times so has raised scars all across it.

I just don't have the time or place at the moment to do it myself.

FROSTY
5th August 2004, 18:36
When do ya need it done by eddie?
My flattie painted mella yella for me with my compressor and spray gun and he did a shit hot job.

Eddieb
5th August 2004, 20:19
When do ya need it done by eddie?
My flattie painted mella yella for me with my compressor and spray gun and he did a shit hot job.

Next race is the 29th so it would be nice to do before then. I'm out of town the next 2 weekends though.

Blakamin
25th August 2004, 15:47
Next race is the 29th so it would be nice to do before then. I'm out of town the next 2 weekends though.

Did you get it done?

can you get it up here before then?

I'm an ex-spraypainter, so i'd knock it off in no time :beer:

Eddieb
25th August 2004, 17:22
Did you get it done?

can you get it up here before then?

I'm an ex-spraypainter, so i'd knock it off in no time :beer:

Nah I didn't and I probably couldn't. Dickhead me let the warrant and rego lapse on the car so I'm going to be chasing around getting that sorted saturday so I can get a trailer and tow the bike to the racing on sunday. I still need to sand the bits down a little as well, mainly just take a couple of stickers off the tank and rear section that are half peeled off.

Unfortuntely the crap weather causing the garage to flood and half the drive to slip took up my time on top of the trips away.

I'd be keen in a few weeks though. The next weekend is Cold Kiwi so will be away for that as long as it's not miserable.

I'll exchange for beer or whatever.

Blakamin
25th August 2004, 17:26
Just give us a yell when your ready!

aff-man
25th August 2004, 17:55
pity you're in welly i got all the kit up here to do it and some left over black paint as well as clear coat.

Eddieb
25th August 2004, 20:36
pity you're in welly i got all the kit up here to do it and some left over black paint as well as clear coat.

Shame that. I was in AK the day you were getting the bike too.

Eddieb
6th September 2004, 11:14
Just give us a yell when your ready!

Hey, do you do any fibreglassing?

I have some spare panels I need to get some minor glass work done to, then painted.

Eddie

Blakamin
6th September 2004, 11:39
Hey, do you do any fibreglassing?

I have some spare panels I need to get some minor glass work done to, then painted.

Eddie

How minor?
i actually hate glassing!

Eddieb
6th September 2004, 13:33
How minor?
i actually hate glassing!

A 4-5 inch crack in 1 panel, a smaller crack in the other and rebuilding a couple of small (2cm 8 4cm) sections

Blakamin
7th September 2004, 08:00
A 4-5 inch crack in 1 panel, a smaller crack in the other and rebuilding a couple of small (2cm 8 4cm) sections

hmmmm.... how good do you want it?.... i take it you dont want to do the glassing yourself?

Eddieb
8th September 2004, 09:47
hmmmm.... how good do you want it?.... i take it you dont want to do the glassing yourself?

They are for my spare rear panels so outside needs to be pretty good, inside I'm not too worried about.

I wouldn't know where to start.

F5 Dave
8th September 2004, 10:02
Spare rear panels? What the hell? Do you mean side covers? Heck just throw them away. Less is More when it comes to weight reduction.

Start the bike & keep taking things off the bike until it stops & put the last thing back on.

OK Tex was never into appearance, but don’t make the mistake of trying for concourse condition, :whocares: you’ll only ride scared you will scratch your bike.

Peel the Rage against the Machine stickers off the side of the tank. Give the whole bike a degrease & strip off anything it doesn’t need &/or replace it with lighter parts. If the fibreglass tail section is cracked then you will need to repair it & I can talk you through that. Then just a light sand & a quick blow of paint & it will look a thousand bucks (a million is out of the question).

Eddieb
8th September 2004, 10:17
don’t make the mistake of trying for concourse condition, :whocares: you’ll only ride scared you will scratch your bike.

Peel the Rage against the Machine stickers off the side of the tank. Give the whole bike a degrease & strip off anything it doesn’t need &/or replace it with lighter parts. Then just a light sand & a quick blow of paint & it will look a thousand bucks (a million is out of the question).

These panels are actually for the 888 so I'd rather they looked pretty good on the outside. I use them when I'm taking luggage etc and was actually planning on leaving them on the bike full time and just putting the original ones back on if I ever sell it.

A light sand and quick blow of paint was all I was considering for the bucket. I know I'm bound to crash that as soon as i get comfortable on it and get too cocky thinking I can take someone on a corner.

Blakamin
8th September 2004, 10:23
These panels are actually for the 888 so I'd rather they looked pretty good on the outside. I use them when I'm taking luggage etc and was actually planning on leaving them on the bike full time and just putting the original ones back on if I ever sell it.

A light sand and quick blow of paint was all I was considering for the bucket. I know I'm bound to crash that as soon as i get comfortable on it and get too cocky thinking I can take someone on a corner.

I aint touching your 888 'glass!! I'm a spray-painter, not a panel beater!

i'll paint your bucket and the 888 fairings if someone else glasses them!

F5 Dave
8th September 2004, 10:53
Ahh, in which case you want a reasonable job done then, try dropping them in at Carboglass, don’t know if they do that sort of thing but worth an ask or just look under fibreglass repairs in Y pgs.

Jay widda 150
15th September 2004, 15:30
i heard darrens pretty good with a spray gun. pm him see if he's keen

F5 Dave
15th September 2004, 15:32
Hey, shouldn't you be at school young fella me lad?

Actually Second thought's you aren't who I thought you were. Forget the school jibe.

Blakamin
15th September 2004, 16:14
Got anything sorted yet Eddie??