PDA

View Full Version : Moved to Aus... left bike in NZ

Charlie
2nd February 2007, 13:09
Like so many Kiwis I made the move to Australia last year. I had been hanging on to my bike in NZ so that if it all went pear shaped and I came back, I'd still have my bike to ride. Its just a 250 but I'm rather attached. :love:
Having been a slacker, (2 years on) I'm still on my L's; but it is the sort of bike I'd have kept riding regardless. So when I departed home shores my thinking was I'd be back for a holiday over Chrissy and I could at least go for a ride and finally sit my restricted while I owned a 250! This would make getting an Aus bike licence easier too I assume.

Trouble is I didn't go back.... and it appears I'm settling in Aus quite nicely. I miss riding so much, and am reluctant to sell my bike (big BIG case of first love). Silly; as sell it or not - I still CAN'T RIDE IT! And its a waste having her sitting locked up. So I need to convince myself to give her up, sell and start riding over in Aus - plenty of other fish in the sea! :bye:

It's a 1995 Honda Xelvis 25V (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11188&d=1117960678).
Could anyone give me some feedback or suggestions on a rough fair price I should go for?
It's done 46,000k and has only been dropped once (from standing - damn Welly wind). As a result of the lie down there is a light scuff and dimple on the left of the tank and the left front indicator now has a slant on it.
Otherwise it's been really well looked after. It's currently stored at my Dad's in Lower Hutt and is deregistered till Feb 07 (god its February already!). The WOF has expired but I'm 100% confident it will get one in a heartbeat. It is also been regularly started and run so no problems there either.

Any knowledge/tips as to getting my bike licence over to Aus (have already transferred my full car over) is appreciated too. Does my L's count for anything or do I really need to start over? Yes, yes, kicking myself for not sorting it before I left!

Perhaps watch "Online Trading" for a new addition soon..... :scooter:

Thanks.

edit: Sorry, it does have a current WOF, expires May. Deregistered till March... but only since December 06 so no biggie

saltydog
5th February 2007, 20:33
Scary move dude :-), it would be ok over there except for the lack of water and all the bloody Aussies!!! Good luck with the sale and don't stop dreaming about all the delicious corners NZ has. And hey, remember to tell them the biking is shit over here!!

Charlie
6th February 2007, 12:48
Thanks and yeah, my flatmate took me for a ride here on his R6; was fast but we just drove in a straight line for hours... and hours. Very boring. Road surface is crap too, heaps of potholes, cracked and rippled seal. Can imagine it'd be really scary if you hit them on a bike!

mstriumph
6th February 2007, 14:20
have you thought about shipping it over? ........... when i moved countries my honda travelled with me from africa to nz to aus .... same sorta thing - first love and all that :sunny:

Horney1
6th February 2007, 14:30
Gidday Charlie,

saltydogs' got it. Scarey move. I've been here for a while. Finally got my first bike over here last year - KTM990. If you are around Melbourne, nice rides in the north/east quadant from the city - penty of curves but getting far enough out to get away of the traffic is a pain. Squared off a new tyre on a trip to Perth for Christmas (8000km). I'm tryin' to round it off now with some scorching corners. I'm headin back to NZ first chance and get another bike there. Do you want a 990 Adventure? :o)

Actually, north of Adelaide was fairly good riding to...

Cheers

Horney1
6th February 2007, 14:35
Hi mstriumph, I looked at shipping mine. I think it's just as easy to sell up and start a-fresh over there. It was looking like around $4500 to do it including the (air)freight and GST (?+duty??). It's only a piece of metal (well, plastic to :o) and can easily be replaced....

Charlie
6th February 2007, 16:24
No I'm West Sydney. Loving everything here except the lack of bike (closest I get is going to Aus Superbikes at Eastern Creek in 2 weeks.....).
Thought about shipping mstriumph, but like Horney1 said, by the time I pay to ship my bike, on road costs etc I'll probably have spent more than its worth!

Horney1
6th February 2007, 18:32
I think there's a big multi-discipline bike event coming up at Eastern Creek to...

If you ever do get a bike over here, it's probably best to try and avoid night riding! Those roos give me the sh*ts. They get out on the road very very quickly!! I've hit two small ones since getting my bike. Luckily, I stayed upright and they weren't too big but I'm not really happy about doing it. The 21 inch wheel helped a bit. So, another good reason for me to get back to Nzed. I love that night riding.

Charlie
7th February 2007, 11:21
Oh, will have to check that out - Cheers. Just went to A1's there Sunday.

I know what you mean about the roo's. Everyone warned me and I just laughed it off. Got a car just before Chrissy and on my 2nd day driving to work this monster jumped out across the road from my right. I was doing 90k and hit the brakes. As I was slowing he verred and started bouncing along side my drivers window for a few meters before hopping back where he came from. Lucky he didnt hit - his arse and back legs were HUGE and he was taller than my car! Would have been a fair ding! :gob:

Trudes
7th February 2007, 11:36
Hi Charlie, thought I hadn't seen you about much lately or joining us on rides!! So you've deserted us, well, I never. (Well, I might have).
Sorry I don't have any real suggestions for you, but if there is anything I can do to help you with the sale (apart from buying it) of your baby or anything, just let me know ok!