PDA

View Full Version : LED indicators

Pumba
2nd February 2007, 19:21
Ok I need some opinions on LED indicators on the SV.

The ones bellow in the pictures, would these be legel in NZ (they are made in Canada). I know people have had issues with not having the correct number printed on the plastic covers but these dont have plastic covers, see the issue.

Some people enlighten me and the people of KB with your wisdom.

WarlockNZ
2nd February 2007, 19:38
Shit!! ... do they come in Yellow ... i'll buy some, legal or not :)

Cajun
2nd February 2007, 19:43
pumba beware, those are next to useless at being see.

Pumba
2nd February 2007, 20:06
Thanks for the warning Cajun. I would of thought being a LED based system that they would have been bright enough to be seen

Pumba
2nd February 2007, 20:11
Shit!! ... do they come in Yellow ... i'll buy some, legal or not :)

Check out the website for yourself

http://www.watsendesign.com/

Be warned the prices will scare the shit out of you

WarlockNZ
2nd February 2007, 20:41
Holy shit ... you're not wrong

McJim
2nd February 2007, 20:50
If you don't like your indicators rip them off and use hand signals instead.

Pumba
2nd February 2007, 20:54

I thought I asked for wisdom, o well its a start I guess

hXc
2nd February 2007, 21:32

I thought I asked for wisdom, o well its a start I guessSorry about him, he's Scot's. That's the best he's got.

I've got some good indicators. Don't know brand or anything but they're about $65 a pair. Really good, not LED, but better than a lot of LED one's I've seen.

imdying
3rd February 2007, 14:26
pumba beware, those are next to useless at being see.Only because they don't stick out enough... those watsen indicators are pretty bloody bright though :yes:

Pumba, get yourself a two wire non load sensitive electronic flasher relay as well, that'll solve the blink rate trouble you're about to it.

Pumba
4th February 2007, 17:26
Yea Im aware that ive got to dp some stuff with the relays to get them to flash right, thanks imdying.

So is any one actually going to answer the original question about weather this sort of indicator is legal or not

Ixion
4th February 2007, 17:57
Post 1996? Strictly, illegal, not approved standard. Vehilcel Lighting Rule 2004 6.1(2).

Though strictly speaking WoF testers are not obliged to enforce this rule! Go figure. But if they DO (as they probably will) you have no comeback.

Pre 1996. Go for it, not standards requirements. Just service requirments about visibility and flash rate etc.

imdying
4th February 2007, 19:15
Strictly speaking, no. Would a copper pull you for it? Only if he'd just pulled you off his mum with ya pants around your ankles.

WOF problem, put the factory ones back on for the duration. PM me your address, I have that spade eliminator off of my bike for you.

pete376403
5th February 2007, 08:34
Yea Im aware that ive got to dp some stuff with the relays to get them to flash right, thanks imdying.

I would guess that LEDs (even a string of them) wouldn't draw enough current to operate the flasher unit (if flashers still use a thermal, bi-metal make/break like they used to)

Would need some kind of electronic timer for a flasher unit.