PDA

View Full Version : Running a total-loss system

DUBDUB
3rd February 2007, 09:11
How long do racers usually get out of their bikes running on a total loss? Since my charging system has fucked itself and getting parts may be another week away I was wondering how far ill get just running on a charged battery. I know ill have to push start my bike and keep all the lights off but does anyone know a rough km range ill get a day? Cheers

avgas
3rd February 2007, 09:29
lets see i got about 400m on that concept on a single cylinder gb

speedpro
3rd February 2007, 10:21
lets see i got about 400m on that concept on a single cylinder gb

I ran a Moriwaki Z1 with a Z1000 electronic ignition. Starting from fully charged, if I forgot to charge the battery between race days in a 2-day meeting, I'd get about 3/4 through the second day before I started losing revs down the back straight. I think the Z batteries were something like 14AH so they were reasonably big and the motors only revved to about 9,000rpm.

Just take a little charger with you and top it up between races. If the charging system is broken you may as well remove all the generator bits. It'll make throttle response way faster and make the bike less susceptible to rear wheel problems when you are changing down.

speedpro
3rd February 2007, 10:27
Sorry just re-read your original post. I also have experiance of the street bike issue as well with a Z1000J that burnt out it's generator coils. Again they have good size batteries but I found it could last a couple of days between charges. I got caught out one day and had to ride home with the lights on (sometimes) and the thing wouldn't go over 3,000rpm. If you keep charging it every night it should get you a reasonably good distance. I was commuting about 25km plus riding about 50km each way to the beach.

Lots of variables which you could measure, like the current draw from the ignition at something like cruising speed then divide that into your battery size.

Henk
6th February 2007, 11:17
Got about 2 -3 weeks of commuting out of a DRZ250 with a semi trashed system. Will depend a lot on battery loading and capacity. You could always carry a spare battery. Did that with an old RD250 I had years ago. Not a great thing to have hanging around your neck though.

Ixion
6th February 2007, 12:00
I usually buy a new battery well before the old one is totally toasted (especially with cages and electric start only bikes). Then keep the old one trickle charged. So, in cases like this, I just do a swap each evening. Without using lights or electric start, you should get several days out of a charge.

qldzxr250a
15th February 2007, 09:38
i got about 45kms flogging the shit outta the zxr, died 4m from the mechnics driveway.

kinda fun really....like a race against time....:scooter: