PDA

View Full Version : CBTA Full License course

MrMelon
4th August 2004, 20:19
Anyone done this to get their full bike license early?

I spent all day doin it today.. got my full license exemption certificate.. just gotta send away the paperwork and wait for my full license in the mail :D

Spent a couple of hours this morning doing the defensive driving type stuff in the classroom, just common sense stuff saying not to try and ride outside your limits and to anticipate dangerous situations and ride appropriately for them.

Then had all afternoon riding around this massive carpark swerving in and out of cones (couldn't quite get my knee down :/) Practicing emergency countersteering (which had a nice bump to pop good wheelies off on the way) and emergency braking which pretty much involved caning down the carpark from one end and stopping with the rear only without lockin up, and then with the front only which ended up being rolling stoppie practice :D

There was also a bit of riding around the cones with pillions too.

We all went for a big ride around Whitemans Valley and upper hutt for the full license assessment stuff, and that was it!

I reckon it's pretty worthwhile if you wanna cut the time on your restricted license down to 9 months, or even go straight from your learners to your full if you're over 25.

k14
4th August 2004, 20:27
How much did it cost ya? Might do something like that if it isn't too expensive. Otherwise I will just have to wait till february. Then i can go and do some tyre kicking.

StoneChucker
4th August 2004, 20:56
Hey...

Yeah, I was really eager to get my full licence, so I did the Full CBTA, by the sounds of what you did, with the same people, RoadSafe. I only cut down 3 months of my restricted licence, but the $275 was well worth it (in terms of getting it 3 months earlier, and, of what they teach you). The following might be a little long, so read if you're interested, or if you're planning on doing the course.

It was a pretty long day in the end, as you say comprising of both classroom theory, and practical riding. When we got there in the morning, Andrew Templeton (Roadsafe) was showing us stunt videos, of some English guy. We then watched a few motorbike safety vids, and had some classroom discussion. The parking lot was really beneficial for me, since it was the first time I'd carried a pillion, and they taught us how to do it safely. On the normal LTSA full licence course, I doubt they show you that... The only thing we had to watch out for, was the parking lot we used wasn't in the best nick, in terms of surface condition, mostly a little loose gravel, and very slightly wet on the day (from the previous nights rain). I was the only one on the course with his/her own bike, so I could give it heaps more (on the emergency braking for example, got up to 100km/h once or twice), everyone else had borrowed bikes, or hired ones.

The Whitemans valley was awsome, I'd never been up there before, so it was not only educational (riding technique), it was also a good days ride. I haven't been back there yet, thanks for reminding me :)

Following all that, there is about a 30 - 60 min ride around Upper Hutt city, where I guess it's the formal part of the course. Andrew did say that he had been observing us all day, so it wasn't all the pass/fail was based on, but I still get really nervous with set tests. There was a set route (which ended up being the most tricky part, as we'd stop, and he'd give a relatively long route description, and we'd have to follow it. He was really good for those that didn't know the area, or who are just generally crap at following directions, so we, ugh, I mean those who needed to ( ;) ), could follow those who did know the way. At times, everyone on the course needed to lead the group. That ride ended at the car park, and as I suspected, everyone on the course passed.

Just for those that are interested, you can get a cc exemption for the day of the course, which allows you to ride whatever bike you want, for the day only. I didn't know this at the time, not that it would have made a difference, but two ppl on the course had new bikes in the garage, and would have used them, had they known.

So, the course is $275, and your application fee, to a Mr D R Hebden at the LTSA is, from memory, $44.30. You need certain paperwork before starting the course (A CBTA course acceptance letter and obviously a restriced licence), and you need to make sure that you have no driving offences, at the time of application, during the course, or EVEN for the first 6 months after you get your licence. Andrew from roadsafe said they have been known to take away licences for people caught speeding, etc, within the first 6 months of passing the CBTA full.

I'm not sure if I'm for people over 25, going from no motorbike licence, to full licence in a couple of weeks, I truly believe that you need the graduated systems time frames to learn to ride, but the course is definitely beneficial for what it teaches. If your mature in your riding, I say go for it. (A disclaimer for Sat 31st July Ride - that was the first time I've ridden that fast, honest :P) Most of the time I stick to 100km/h, pretty boring really.

Ride safe

MrMelon
4th August 2004, 21:06
Yeah I did it with Roadsafe and it was $275. I only managed to get my LTSA approval done yesterday sicne they lost 3 faxes I sent them about it over the last week :(

Everyone there today had thier own 250/150's.

It was the first time i'd carriped a pillion too, but it was a pretty cool day.

k14
4th August 2004, 21:16
Hmmm, $275 is a little steep for me. Think ill just have to wait till february.

Hitcher
5th August 2004, 13:39
Mrs H and I did this course last November -- Andrew and Lynne Templeton (Roadsafe).

Brilliant course, especially the braking training. This shaved about 4 months off our go-to-whoa. By the time we had done the course we'd ridden over 15,000km on our 250s -- in about every condition imaginable, except snow and pissed! -- so we were getting impatient and eager to get astride something at ate highways with a bit less effort.

I'd now like to do another advanced skills course.

sAsLEX
5th August 2004, 13:51
we'd ridden over 15,000km on our 250s -- in about every condition imaginable, except snow and pissed!

I have managed that in about 6 months but gunna stay on the 2fiddy for about 12 months according to the license

thehollowmen
5th August 2004, 15:28
Congratulations! Another one through into the big machines :done:
Sometimes I'm a lil jealous of you guys, we don't get that sort of thing down here in dunners (or not that I've seen)
I'm still a wee way off but it might pay for me to take a trip to welly to do this course...

I'd say even for the experiance it would be worth the $275

took a bit of googling, but if anybody else doesn't know Roadsafe (http://www.roadsafe.co.nz) is their website

About the exemptions... sometimes they can be really strange about giving exemptions. They might give it to you if you let your license lapse and have to start over again on your learners but have a monstor in storage (my uncle did this). But then again, they might not, it seems to depend on who flips the coin on the day I guess :rolleyes:

Ms Piggy
5th August 2004, 17:01
Hmmm, $275 is a little steep for me. Think ill just have to wait till february.
Yeah ditto. I think I'll just wait the 6 months...once I get my restricted that is! :cool:

Two Smoker
5th August 2004, 17:16
IM keen as hell, but my problem is that i have had 2 speeding tickets..... will this effect the application?? if not, where do i get one???? otherwise i will have to wait AGES to get insurance when i get the gixxer :wacko:

MrMelon
5th August 2004, 17:24
I think they check your driving offence history before giving you permission to go in the course, so I'm not too sure if they'd let you in or not after having a few speeding tickets.
The course is only going in wellington at the moment too, seems like they run it every 2 months.
It's a bit of a bitch that they can chuck you back on your restricted if you get speeding tickets in the year after doing it though.

Zapf
5th August 2004, 18:15
Ermm.. I am looking at doing a similar course in Auckland, Passrite is doing them. But apprently still in testing phase.

Had a big ticket doing 140km passing in my 250+ cage.. 2 years ago. So guess I'll find out what happen soon.

V Twin Raver
6th August 2004, 08:00
Does anybody have any contact details for an equivalent course held out of Auckland??

Thanks

Zapf
6th August 2004, 10:13
Ring passrite. I rang them yesterday about it and they should be sending out some info.

moko
8th August 2004, 05:37
Sounds the same as our "Direct Access" courses.You guys dont want to lay out $275?Well the training and test fee for direct access is more like $1800.There`s a minimum power output for riders taking the test,most riding schools use GS500`s or CB500`s as they`re easy to manouvre.I`m not convinced they`re a great idea though as in this country bike casualties have gone through the roof and the biggest category is either guys with full licences who come back to biking and think a GSXR Thou will be the same as their old GS1000 only with a fairing stuck on or guys who go straight from the riding school GS500 to an R1 and find out the hard way that experience is worth years sat in a classroom or riding slowly with an instructor advising you through a head-set.There`s a strong feeling "in the air" that Direct Acess will soon be scrapped,most accidents now are the result of inexperienced riders losing control on corners whereas before it used to be cars pulling out in front of bikes.No-one else to blame now and the GOVT have let it be known they`re determined to stop these guys trying to kill themselves.
I see from MRMelon`s comments that you can get back to restricted if you get done for speeding within a year.Here,car or bike,you`re basically on probation and it takes half the number of points to lose your licence within,I think,the first year.That`s not as in "back to restricted",that`s as in "banned completely",2 speeding offences is enough to do it.

rodgerd
9th August 2004, 14:04
Anyone done this to get their full bike license early?

Yup - great wee course, and the skills practise was pretty useful for slow riding. Well worth while.

rodgerd
9th August 2004, 14:08
IM keen as hell, but my problem is that i have had 2 speeding tickets..... will this effect the application?? if not, where do i get one???? otherwise i will have to wait AGES to get insurance when i get the gixxer :wacko:

I'd had one ticket when I applied - but then the ticket was when I was 17 and I applied when I was 30, so it'll probably depend on when and how big.

nedj
9th August 2004, 14:32
I did the course throught passrite. Nice to be legal for a change. I thought it was worth every penny.
If you keep an open mind you can learn a lot. More to the point, realise just how much you dont know. If you are expecting a course where you think you are going to learn to handle a bike in excess of the speed limits. Think again. But what ever is tought to you is to keep you alive and rid one of some very silly notions.
I fully recomend it.
From memory in order to get on the course you needed to be over 25 and have had a drivers licence for over 2 years with a "clean record". I think that is left to the LTSA's discretion.

:niceone:

MrMelon
9th August 2004, 14:56
I'm 20 and they let me on it.
If you're over 25 you can go straight from your learners to your full though. Under 25 and you have to go learner -> restricted -> full.

rodgerd
9th August 2004, 15:11
I'm 20 and they let me on it.
If you're over 25 you can go straight from your learners to your full though. Under 25 and you have to go learner -> restricted -> full.

You used to be able to do that, but no longer - over 25s get a shorter restricted period, but can't got Learner to Full any more.

Zapf
10th August 2004, 12:30
There is a CBTA course at Passrite (Auckland) at the following dates

14th Aug
11th Sept
9th Oct
13th Nov
11th Dec

Cost is $285 and its a full day from 8am to 5pm I think.

U can bring ur own bike or hire their under 250cc bikes for $50.

Goto www.passrite.co.nz for more info

I am personally going to do one of these, I am hoping the 14th Aug one.

Hoon
10th August 2004, 13:40
Ummm I just did a defensive driving course... 4 evenings of theory classroom stuff which cost all up $90. Knocked my restricted->full time down to 3 months (for >25yo).

LB
11th August 2004, 05:30

Thanks for this info, it's useful to know - I didn't realise you could do this.

And Stonechucker, I realised of course that the 31/07 speeds were a one-off. :msn-wink:

Eyetie
12th September 2004, 06:29
I am doing the course on the 25 Sept Rest-Full CBTA at Passrite Auckland was worried that my cage speeding ticket (only 12ks over) would hold me back, but got the confirmation letter from LTSA so all good, I guess the LTSA would be looking at fairly serious infringments rather than the odd speeding ticket here and there, I think the CBTA is a great idea, I have held a learners for 16 years and coming back into riding now at 34yo, I am looking forward to it and wish they focussed on this more (price is a consideraton obviously) when I was younger and bullet proof but learned the hard way about 1K of fairing damage after laying my first brand new bike in a corner after about six months of owning it.

raster
7th July 2005, 21:49
Anyone done Defensive driving course in AK, Who where and how much.

Macktheknife
31st August 2005, 21:07
Unfortunately they do nail you hard for any infringements in the preceding year or the next year. They also keep tabs on you for the next 3 years, just for research purposes of course ! (Tui anyone?)

SARGE
28th November 2005, 13:16
just got a letter from Fred @ Passrite.

" it is with regret to inform you that LTNZ has suspended the CBTA trial.

*snip*

the last date for application forms at this stage is 10 December 2005.

*snip*

we understand that a review for the continuance of the scheme will be held early in the new year"

ktulu
28th November 2005, 13:34
Ah great, well I got my application in last week :D

steved
28th November 2005, 20:13
just got a letter from Fred @ Passrite.

" it is with regret to inform you that LTNZ has suspended the CBTA trial.

the last date for application forms at this stage is 10 December 2005.

we understand that a review for the continuance of the scheme will be held early in the new year"Pity. I thought it was good.

Stevo
29th November 2005, 23:07
Pity. I thought it was good.
I did too actually. They must have run out of things to do for the office boys down at LTNZ, so are reviewing the CBTA course to fill in a month or two:doobey:

slopster
4th December 2005, 22:54
I just slipped in. I got 45 demerits the weekend before my course (pillion on restricted + 20km over speed limit) but they issued the licence before they came up on the system - Lucky for me.