PDA

View Full Version : Supermoto In Christchurch/Canterbury

drtbkeryder4
3rd February 2007, 22:26
Hi, I was thinking of getting into supermotard but before I go out and get new wheels for my bike I was wondering if there are any real events/clubs in canterbury before I turn my bike into a motard machine. I know theres a reasonable following for it in the North Island.

Any help appreciated, Cheers

PS: Why isn't there a decicated section for supermoto, I think there should be as it's getting quite big.

far queue
4th February 2007, 08:30
The BEARS club run the Motards racing at Ruapuna, check them out and see what they're up to. I'm pretty sure they only do events on the seal though, not a combination of seal and dirt, but it's a popular class. Good Luck.

k14
4th February 2007, 08:55
The BEARS club run the Motards racing at Ruapuna, check them out and see what they're up to. I'm pretty sure they only do events on the seal though, not a combination of seal and dirt, but it's a popular class. Good Luck.
They don't run a motards only class but if your bike is able to run under the class restrictions then you are allowed in. Note that bears only allow european and american bikes to race.

Motorcycling canterbury allow any bikes and most motards will fit into F3.

These events however are both only road racing, no gravel/dirt sections. I don't know if there is anywhere in the SI that has true motard racing. There is a bit in the NI I believe.

drtbkeryder4
4th February 2007, 10:53
Yer I don't really want the dirt sections as I've only ever trailriden. My bikes a Yamaha so I wouldn't be able to run in the BEARS events. IF I was in the F3 wouldn't that mean I be up against CBR250RR's, ZXR250's and other inline four sports bikes, that would eat a motard for dinner. Could a motard keep up with the CBR's and alike? Cheers

k14
4th February 2007, 11:19
Nope if you were in F3 you'd be up against SV650's, RS125's, ZXR400's and the like (aswell as other motards, ktm525's etc) who would definately eat your 250 (I'm assuming that is what you want to motard). You could run in clubmans where you would probably be up against some thou's etc, but lap times are normally closer to F3 or even slower. I'd advise of getting atleast a 450 before coming out to the track though.

drtbkeryder4
4th February 2007, 12:36
Oh ok, Yer the 250 is what I would motard, I guess I'll just sticking to trail riding or wait until it an club is organised. Thanks for the help

clint640
7th February 2007, 08:33
Just get some road tyres for your std wheels & take it out in clubmans, you'll have some fun & can then decide if you want to get into it. I dunno what it's like down in Chch but in the clubmans class at races I've been to here in Taupo an average rider on your 250 wouldn't be last. It's all about having a go.

Cheers
Clint

scott411
7th February 2007, 08:51
as Clint said above, get some road tyres and some big gearing and try clubmen out, you will need one bigger on teh front and about 8-10 off the back, Pm if you have trouble finding any and i can sort out

Muzz67
14th February 2007, 18:44
There is a 'Have A go Day' on Sunday at Ruapuna.
Always some Motard bikes there. Brilliant at cornering, not so good on the loooong front straight!

NordieBoy
15th February 2007, 06:39
We want pics if you're taking the 500 :D