PDA

View Full Version : Fuel leak near the base of the reserve tap

arjun
4th February 2007, 02:23
hi,
mine is a 250 gularm MC22 model

any idea on why it leaks near the base of the reserve tap,
I have used a metal glue to cover the whole area near of the base of the reserve tap, but still it leaks! the fuel is comming out of the little hole where I guess the hole is for air in, I'll add some pictures for more clarification..

JMemonic
4th February 2007, 04:04
I suspect there should be no hole in the bottom of the tank, air would normally go in through the top, either a cap that has a breather or a vent.

The only holes the bottom of a tank should be either related to fuel tap, ie bolt and outlet holes, or in the case of recessed fitting fuel caps a overflow tube the runs through the tank, normally tubed to dump any fuel or water that gains access to the area back on to the ground.

Might be time to get some on to take a look at it for you.

Lee Rusty
4th February 2007, 09:29
no air hole in bottom - air goes in thru cap, if only a small hole - go to local dealer and by a pack of CREEM its a two pac mix epoxy - empty and clean inside of tank as much as poss count in a handfull of small nuts and roll around to loosen scale inside - shake out the nuts - count them out again dont leave any inside Follow instructions on the pac to the letter absolutely to the leter or it might give a bad result - it put a lining in the tank - so make sure all the time it is drying you turn the tank around and over and over - takes a while so put time aside to do it

surfer
5th February 2007, 10:16
no air hole in bottom - air goes in thru cap, if only a small hole - go to local dealer and by a pack of CREEM its a two pac mix epoxy - empty and clean inside of tank as much as poss count in a handfull of small nuts and roll around to loosen scale inside - shake out the nuts - count them out again dont leave any inside Follow instructions on the pac to the letter absolutely to the leter or it might give a bad result - it put a lining in the tank - so make sure all the time it is drying you turn the tank around and over and over - takes a while so put time aside to do it

You might find creem a bit hard to get hold of at present as I understand the distributors are low on stock. I got recommended por15 but haven't used it yet so can't say how it's like. Cream was good but you don't want to spill anything on your paint work.

There shouldn't be a hole in your tank. If there is a hole you would probably do better with a weld to seal it up.

If the hole is in your fuel tap then a picture would be appreciated to see what is going on. I suspect if this was the case it might be a question of tightening it all up or of repalcing washers inside the fuel tap (depends on make).

But no picture not able to say for sure what the problem is. If there is a hole though my experience is they get worse not better.