PDA

View Full Version : Kiwitrackdays Taupo Friday 2nd February

Keystone19
4th February 2007, 09:01
After seeing that Steve from Kiwitrackdays was running a track day at Taupo the day before the Motott day, GIXser, Nicksta, Boomer, Affman and me decided to head down for a weekend of hard riding.

Nicksta and I hit the road at 0500 meeting the rest of the crew at Papkura. Swinging by Kiwifruit's place in Taupo to pick up Nickis bike we finally made the track just before 9am.

Steve was running the new short track - 2.2km. Perfect for the SV 'cause it means I can keep up with the bigger bikes for most of the lap. And what a blast it was! There were about 60 bikes. 15 minute sessions with 3 groups meant we must have done 7 sessions. We had thought we'd take it easy in the afternoon given that we were doing the track day on the Saturday as well but once we got started there was no way we were stopping!

Had a quick blat on GIXser's new bike but quickly gave it back after finding the suspension was so stiff that I was getting bucked off the seat every time I hit a bump! Was awesome watching GIXser get comfortable on it as the day wore on and his speeds went from where I could comfortably stay with him to where I could only wave to his receeding back...

Nicksta's new bike is awesome and she is going to be so fast on that thing!!!

Affman got his knee down for the first time!

Had great fun dicing with Boomer and Kiwifruit...

Steve from Kiwitrackdays runs an awesome day - very relaxed, sessions on time and well managed, great spot prizes, and he's in the pits with everyone all day making sure everyone is having a good time and helping with any problems with bikes or anything else.

Check out www.kiwitrackdays.co.nz. They rock!

boostin
4th February 2007, 09:43
Was also there on the Friday. It was my first time on my new race bike, and first time at a track. Had an excellent day all day, and was getting faster with each session. Ended up getting a bit over confident for my skill level and high-sided it in turn 1 on the last lap of what was going to be my last session for the day.

Sorry to everyone who was waiting in the fast group while the ambo came and picked me up. It was only a broken collar bone, bruised hip, and sprained some fingers. Steve was great. coming to check on me before being hauled off for x-rays, he even appologised....not sure what for? Only one person to blame...:innocent:

Some firsts - First Track day, First time on new bike, First knee down, first bin.

Was a great day and will be back as soon as I am healed.

Keystone19
4th February 2007, 09:46
Ouch! Didn't see you go down but saw the aftermath. We were very relieved when you started moving again!

What a bummer about binning! Especially on the new race bike! (it's looking awesome by the way!) Hope you heal up quick.

Nicksta
4th February 2007, 10:23
Although it wasnt my first track day, it was on my new bike. BIG, HUGE thank you's to Keystone19, GIXser, DMNTD and Kiwifruit for playing a part in getting my new baby to Taupo for this day. You all rock!! AND MEGGA SPECIAL MENTION to Affman for rewiring (twice) the CDI unit supplied by DeathInc. at last minuite that meant i had a running bke!!! It sounded awesome when started up for the first time..... also Kyle from Boyd honda who helped out all day... YOU ALL ROCK!

Steve and Kiwitrackdays ran an awesome day, very tight... walking around the pits checking on us all running a very relaxed day with heaps of communication with us.... sessions were great at 15 mins meaning we werent getting tired or fatigued and could ride fresh every session after a 30 min break, and we got 7 sessions in!! this format allowed us to work on different riding aspects each session and time to fix bikes between sessions...
thanks to Steve for bringing my stand down from Hamilton (thanks Mentaltrousers for getting it to him) Also, thanks heaps Kiwitrackdays for the free track day pass spot prize!! (i'm sure you rigged it Steve ;) )

Track 2 was a fantastic short track... really helped my technical riding.... first session i was a bit worried as i had never ridden the VFR and i wondered if the breaks worked etc.. but everything seemed fine and i started to up the pace after a few laps.... thanks soo much to Jill, Eddie, Jono, Duncan and Gene.... somewhere during the day Team Bent Spanner was born...... the day ran smooth and everyone helped out... thanks for all the tips and mechanical stuff... had an awesome day.... the support from you all boosted my riding and the feedback was awesome!!

Fantastic day, great organization.... cant wait for the next one!!!

GO TEAM BENT SPANNER!!

Nicksta
4th February 2007, 10:24
Ps... saw you come of Boostin.. you were just in front of me... was glad to see you get up... heal quick ay... you were going really well out there!

boostin
4th February 2007, 10:38
Ps... saw you come of Boostin.. you were just in front of me... was glad to see you get up... heal quick ay... you were going really well out there!

What exactly happened, it was all over so quickly I'm not 100%. All I remember was going around the corner and then being in the air thinking that the ground looked very hard from up there.

I heard that I took 2 'goes' at the corner. Did the back slide and then grip, like what would be a normal high side?

Nicksta
4th February 2007, 10:43
i just saw the slide... missed the first bit.. the 2 guys that stopped should have a fair clue tho...

kiwifruit
4th February 2007, 14:11
I had an awesome day on friday, big thanks to Eddie for the ticket... i owe you man!
The day was really well run, nice and relaxed, well done Steve :yes:

Had a blast getting the learn from everyone and was well knacked by the end of the day.

Videos to come.........

kiwifruit
5th February 2007, 07:19
heres the videos

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8456365312642788080&q=taupo

there are 3 from friday and 1 from saturday, look under 'more from user" to find them

Nicksta
5th February 2007, 21:48
cool videos... i have already booked my next Kiwitrackday on march 2nd!!!

GIXser
6th February 2007, 06:52
cool videos... i have already booked my next Kiwitrackday on march 2nd!!!

oh oh someone's got bitten !....:yes: , best we get this little puppy fully decked out..

im in..! gotta get me some practice in eh Jillie...:gob:

Leong
6th February 2007, 08:03
Yep, awesome day Friday - fine weather but cool breeze. Have to agree that Steve runs a very good track day - very relaxed atmosphere but efficient and well managed at the same time. Yes we did seven 15min sessions and I'd agree that was better than doing fewer 20min sessions. Highlight for me was a surprise visit from my family who'd never seen me on the track before. Special because my wife hates driving on the open road, so it's a big deal for her to drive to and from Taupo. And I didn't bin while they were watching... unlike someone I know!!!:dodge:

Thanks for the tips and the "learn" Tim... Spent the day trying to get my butt off the seat and working on body positioning - doesn't come naturally to me but I can feel that it makes a difference to corner speed!! Good to meet a few new KB'ers too esp K6K on the same bike as me who looks like becoming a regular. Really impressive how quickly you learnt the track!!

And yes I've booked for 2nd March too.

boomer
6th February 2007, 08:25
Yep, awesome day Friday - fine weather but cool breeze. Have to agree that Steve runs a very good track day - very relaxed atmosphere but efficient and well managed at the same time. Yes we did seven 15min sessions and I'd agree that was better than doing fewer 20min sessions. Highlight for me was a surprise visit from my family who'd never seen me on the track before. Special because my wife hates driving on the open road, so it's a big deal for her to drive to and from Taupo. And I didn't bin while they were watching... unlike someone I know!!!:dodge:

Thanks for the tips and the "learn" Tim... Spent the day trying to get my butt off the seat and working on body positioning - doesn't come naturally to me but I can feel that it makes a different to corner speed!! Good to meet a few new KB'ers too esp K6K on the same bike as me who looks like becoming a regular. Really impressive how quickly you learnt the track!!

that gixxer of yours has some real power to it Leong, you just pulled away from me on that back straight; i had fun having battles with you throughout the day :thumbsup:

K6K
6th February 2007, 10:07

Thanks for the tips and the "learn" Tim... Spent the day trying to get my butt off the seat and working on body positioning - doesn't come naturally to me but I can feel that it makes a difference to corner speed!! Good to meet a few new KB'ers too esp K6K on the same bike as me who looks like becoming a regular. Really impressive how quickly you learnt the track!!

Thanks Leong, I will def be a regular...great to meet you. Thanks for the advice on the track and the suspension setup also...I was amazed at how the small change improved the handling of the bike, especially under brakes. I may spend more time in the fast group next time - It would be good to "swap" some lines! From what you said after following me during the last session of the day our pace must be pretty similar - How did you find your pace compared to other riders in the fast group?

Leong
6th February 2007, 10:52
How did you find your pace compared to other riders in the fast group?

Sorry.... going OT here - we're talking about Saturday's MotoTT day...
Was my first time spending the day in that groupand I really enjoyed it. Much less overtaking - probably passed as many riders as got passed myself on the day, but there are lots of guys quicker. Learnt heaps following guys that passed me, and really got the learn several times when I outbraked someone at the end of the straight only to be outbraked by others at the same time!! Had great fun with and on similar pace to Boomer, Aff-man, Eman, and Jill (due to the horsepower advantage!!). I think you'd fit in well!!

Leong
6th February 2007, 10:56
heres the videos

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8456365312642788080&q=taupo

there are 3 from friday and 1 from saturday, look under 'more from user" to find them

Cheers for the videos Allan, Interesting to see your corner speeds - gives me something to work on!!!!

Keystone19
6th February 2007, 10:58
oh oh someone's got bitten !....:yes: , best we get this little puppy fully decked out..

im in..! gotta get me some practice in eh Jillie...:gob:

Well guess I'd better sign up for the 2nd too then...can't have you giving me the learn too soon...:innocent:

Wow, there's going to be quite a regular crew heading on down to Steve's days! Might have to make a pilgrimage to Manfeild soon too!

DEATH_INC.
6th February 2007, 21:09
Shit, dunno if I can do this too......just booked a spot for the tt one on the ninth....don't really think I can afford two in a row :bye:

blueblade
7th February 2007, 09:57
Certainly was an awesome day. My first time on the Motard in the dry. Started the day with a new back tyre and ended the day with the left side completely worn out. Dam, I thought these motards were supposed to be easy on tyres!!. Three of us were on virtually identical CRF450's plus one other who shall remain nameless on a significantly more modified CRF. We had an absolute blast dicing with each other all day and enjoying the slightly more relaxed passing rules in the fast group. Dont think I will ever ride my Tuono on the track again. Too much stress. The Motards are just plain fun.:yes:

fishman
8th February 2007, 10:32
Hi Guy's,Steve from Kiwi Trackdays here.As you've probably figured out by now,I'm a complete motorcycle nut.Running trackdays for you all has been the BEST fun I've had in a long time!It's awesome that you all share the same passion for your riding as I obviously do.I really do appreciate the efforts you are going to to support Kiwi Trackday's:rockon:
Our next day is at Manfeild on Tuesday 20th of Feb(Nat rd on the w/end 24/25th)so if any of you racer's need more track-time then please come along.
Thanks again for the support and let's keep having a blast at Kiwi Trackdays.

Nicksta
9th February 2007, 00:01
thanks again Steve, was a real relaxed but pumped day...
most fun i've had in a few months... and well needed... cant make manfield.. but i'll be at taupo for sure! (can ya rig the spot prize again? ;) )