PDA

View Full Version : NZs next World Road Race Champion?

bluninja
8th June 2003, 10:03
I was at the AMCC awards evening last night watching among others, Dave (KiwiBiker) receiving his award for 2nd in GP125s. An interesting speech by Paul Cook when receiving 2nd in GP250, (at the age of 47) who wonders where the future NZ world champions are coming from in road racing.

There were 3 very talented youngsters receiving awards last night, but 3 isn't enough. So where is NZs next World Champion or IOM TT winner coming from? Is road racing in NZ so apathetic that it will just disapear up it's own arse in a few years?

I want to race as hard and as fast as I can, and probably my only claim to fame in bike racing may be that I raced against a world champion. But without a thriving race scene and a way for younger riders to enter the sport 'safely' and progress it's not going to happen.

So if you were in charge of MNZ, how would you fix this?

TTFN

Motu
8th June 2003, 11:21
Just a refection of what young people are doing - they would rather do some trendy ''extreme'' sport that requires no pure guts and comitment.How many young guys are riding on the street = SFA,thats where you get your new riders from.Speedway is worse - the glamour gladiator motorcycle sport in this country is almost dead,we've had more world championships in this sport than anyother,but who gives a fuck eh? Of road riding is doing better,thanks to some rich Dads who are getting their kids involved,but otherwise it's grim alright.

Racey Rider
8th June 2003, 12:52
Someone had suggested a rent a racer class of 150cc bikes. This could be easily slid into the streetstock scene some clubs are supporting. But the cost would have to be a lot cheaper then the SV650 class Tim ran. Would need to be able to rent the whole package, leathers/boots/gloves/helmet, And everyone is a different size, so that causes problems.
Then there's club fees, (first race day is free maybe?)
MNZ is a tough one! As a new to the sport person myself, I have found them VERY unhelpful as far as getting me started straight away is concerned. I see they want a $50 fee for a one-off race day rider for the coming year. $50 here - $20 there - $200 maybe to rent the gear?? + bond. It all adds up! So why should someone spend that sort of money to try our sport? When they can get a similiar rush from a Kart racing trail day, where crashing is not such a big deal?
Still, maybe it's worth looking into. Would consider it myself, but I'm based too far away from a track. Plus I haven't even had my first race yet,,, so what do I know!!! But it could be done! It's just a question of all relevant groups doing their bit to support the idea.
We,, YOU need new comers! So are we going to write about it,,, or are those in the right positions going to get together and DO something about it!!:done:

Kwaka-Kid
8th June 2003, 16:08
i say DO somthing about it :) - think companies out there should be looking @ motorcycle racing to sponsor new comers who look promising... im the youngest here so that means i hopefully have the most chance :P no but honestly, i think we need to get companies or smothing to look into the motorcycle racing scene and started helping more of us, i think that there is so few of us and the few that there are can not afford top notch bikes to go anywhere near as fast as they need to become recognised, but like Racey, i dont know much.

I have seen those 3 sons or whatever of that dudes @ 2 tracktimes... rode with 1 of them and mate! he was awesome for his age and stuff, on a Race prepd RGV150 i cold barely hold ahead of him on my crap ZXR400, even on the backstreight we had equalish speeds, i really enjoyed it and it made me think maybe i was riding alongside one of NZ's soon-2-be's.  I think we need to get them real young too, like i learnt to ride @ 9 on trail and like to think thats young and good enough to give racing a damn good go but according to my old man there are kids starting @ 4 etc (actually i know one) and that i started a bit too late.  I dunno, id like to prove him wrong and try to at least be seen a little.

But main point - WHERE IS THE SPONSORSHIP @? -i know you need to get out there and prove yourself a bit first apparently, but i mean, shit i can barely afford tyres with any tread @ all letalone ones that will allow me to fly through corners @ the speeds every1 else seems to :(

good topic dude, we need to bring this up blu. -and yes oneday i will attend another AMC thursday night do.

bluninja
8th June 2003, 18:48
Thanks guys for your responses so far, especially your feedback on MNZ as newbies. As an old newbie, I went through this process last year.

Before people start talking sponsorship, you need to have a product that firms can invest their marketing dollars in. If there's little or no interest in motorcycling, there's no publicity, no crowds, and so bugger all money around.

As for most racers, half of them can't be bothered with supporting organisers, or debating issues with MNZ. they just wear their dark visors and assume the races will be run and they just need to pay their fees and turn up. the only time they are vocal is when they can't get what they want at a race meeting, or the rules no longer suit them.

For me the first thing to do is to raise the professionalism of the organisation of road racing, and raise the public profile of racing. As well as people racing, if we want sponsorship and prize money to help offset racing costs we need people coming to watch and be involved. A lot of these events are free to spectataors, why not get your friends to come down and watch the racing, they don't need safety gear, they don't even need to ride a bike.

TTFN

Kwaka-Kid
8th June 2003, 19:25
very true :) -cmon even i did this :D last track time i brought 4x mates down (welll 2 only stayed half the day) but still, none of them ride yet they were interested enough just in tracktime - let alone full blown race action :D

good thinking Si, everybody is welcome :) (exept people that dont ride bikes, hahah no!:p)

wari
8th June 2003, 20:55
I think tv exposure is a big thing ... most people dont realise just how exciting bike racing is.

Does anyone know if the IOM TT is going to get any air time ? Kiwis had a bit of success there this year and although I havent seen a lot of tv lately , there's been didlee squat reporting of what our guys have achieved ... !

Motu
8th June 2003, 22:34
They have to want to race - how do you do that? The modern kid doesn't jump on a bike and hoon around,think he's pretty good and go racing,he has no motorcycling heros (Rossi could be a help here) Bikes are too expensive to have a shot at something he knows nothing about.I don't know what the answer is,but I think motorcycle racing has had it's day as a dangerous motor sport that attracted a ''certain type''.That certain type now sits on their arse and plays playstation,rides a skate board when they are grown up and is more concerned with how they look than stripping a bike down durring the week to race on sunday.Racing a bike is just too bloody complicated - and that means it's boring.

Dave
9th June 2003, 10:39
On getting people to the races, I had an idea;
Amcc is one of the biggest clubs in NZ,If they sent 5 tickets to every member that would be about 1500 tickets,.the members would be asked to either return money or unsold tickets back to the club-this would also allow them to know how many people will
be at the meetings,it will also boost the numbers of spectators at their meetings.The extra income generated by the extra spectators would then be put straight into a marketing budget for the next race meeting,not back into the club kitty.
At the moment,I wouldn't be surprised if the roadriding members of the club aren't even aware when race meetings occur.
As Blue stated,Paul cook at the prizegiving was getting into the MNZX for their proposed structure of classes.As it stands,You have to be under 17 yrs to get a wild card entry into a world 125GP.No local riders would be able to qualify to be on the grid in world supersport,there is no way of getting on a world superbike without some previous world championship exterience,so the only class left that you or I could buy a bike and get a wild card entry on a world championship event is 250GP-A class that MNZ does everything to try and shut down in favour of 600 sports production.

bluninja
9th June 2003, 11:17
Here's a good one. I've just received my license renewal for 2003/4 from MNZ. the good news is that all the national championship racers only pay $80 instead of $100, but everyone else now pays $80. They also sent a calendar wallchart out with dates of Bike races over the nexr 12 months. Guess what ? not a single track road race, not even the nationals is on there. It would seem from MNZ that even Battle of the Streets has a higher profile than the National Road race Champs.

Yes MOTU, motorbike racing is quite self selecting in you have to want to ride a motorbike and then be able to do that before you go racing. Yes it's also expensive, and people need to have the pasion fired inside them to want to look at or become involved in the sport before they part with their cash. I think TV coverage of world events and AMA events is pretty good, it's just lacking in NZ stuff.

Tim Gibbes managed to get TV coverage last year at 2 events. I even saw myself on tele at the back of the pack in the 'D' grade race. So it's possible, probably just very hard work to make it happen. 

Great idea Dave, you gonna float that one at the AGM tomorrow night? Advance ticket sales, if they've paid they will proabbly turn up.

TTFN

Dave
9th June 2003, 11:30
Theres an AGM?

bluninja
9th June 2003, 11:42
Dave, you ARE joking aren't you???

10th June 2003 AMCC AGM, <SPAN class=btext>at the Clubrooms, 7:30 pm</SPAN>

You've clearly not checked your riders briefs recently:D, it's also posted on the web page. I know the prizegiving wasn't publicised too well, but then they did sell all the tickets for that anyway. Any other Kiwi Bikers that are AMCC members, do try and get along. I will be there, I want to see what happens and be able to vote for the people that will be standing for office. If you don't attend, don't vote, or more importantly don't contribute in any way then you better hope those people voted in want the same things you do.

TTFN

Dave
9th June 2003, 12:19
Its my rural mail-I think a goat ate my news letter.Last year I only found out about the prizegiving one day before and had other committments.This year at least they rang me.(I got second last year as well!)

Racey Rider
9th June 2003, 13:19
Originally posted by bluninja

I think TV coverage of world events and AMA events is pretty good, it's just lacking in NZ stuff.

Those of us without "Sky" don't see much! :argh:
Yes the sport needs to be seen on TV. that would give a number of benefits.
To enthuse new comers into the sport. (thats what got me keen. I had never been to a track day/race. Though had rode bikes for some years).
Then strengthen club membership.
Give the chance for sponsorship.
Even show us ourselves riding, so we can improve our technique.

Perhaps we need to see the top class, to show people how it should be done, and the entry level class, to show how to get started.

How do we get more coverage? One thing we can all easily do is write to TVNZ and ask for it! If we don't ask, we won't get.
TVNZ
Attention: Sports
PO Box 3819
Auckland

Let's get 100 requests for more coverage in to them over the next 3 months :yes:

Kwaka-Kid
9th June 2003, 16:41
theres a good idea racey rider.

and good posts guys its got me thinking about it all :) - and yeah, @ my skool of 2400 students (well actually prolly 25% were too young) i was THE ONLY one who rode a bike to skool scince i turned 15 in 4th form, and i later heard of 1 guy who got a bike near the end of skool but didnt ride it much, and another who got one just after he left skool.&nbsp;&nbsp; pretty bad stats there eh? considering from the stories my parents tell me, back in the day there woulda been half the friggin skool on them or somthing, mind you they were msotly SL/CB125s :P&nbsp; wish i could go back then with my CB250 and show them what technology is all about :P hahaha!

Motu
9th June 2003, 17:47
They are right - the inner city around Auckland University was covered in bikes,every student rode a bike - even Helen Clark! When I went to ATI we had a big bike park under the pre fabs.Bikes were everywhere in the 70 and 80s,trail bikes were riden on the streets - lots of potential racers,to find a young person interested in bikes these days is a real find.

Coldkiwi
9th June 2003, 18:03
a big part of that problem is the influx of cheap jap import cars. Bikes were popular cause they were so cheap to run but now (ok, maybe going back towards bikes with fuel and commuting time) cars are just as cheap or more so and offer added convenience.

having said that, I still don't own one and would sooner save up to by an RSV -SP *smacks Blu around the head for not doing so when he had the chance!* rather than buy a car (of course my g/f has other ideas)

Maybe the introduction of a congestion tax would start getting more people on two wheels and have flow on effects as peopel discover the other joys of biking and racing?

Go on banksie, do something useful!!

Coldkiwi
9th June 2003, 18:04
Motu- p.s., ya found one! (if 23 counts)

&nbsp;

Hoon
9th June 2003, 18:37
Dave, you ARE joking aren't you???

10th June 2003 AMCC AGM, <SPAN class=btext>at the Clubrooms, 7:30 pm</SPAN>

Hmmm I nominate Blu as our AMCC Event reminderer!!&nbsp; I could be tempted to go along.&nbsp; I been&nbsp;trying to get into road racing for the last 6 months and have found it very difficult.&nbsp; Getting myself sorted was planned for and catered to but&nbsp;this lack of local races, communication and also an uncertain future is making it tougher than it should be and very&nbsp;discouraging!!&nbsp;

At this rate Rossi will have retired by the time I reach MotoGP and I'll never fulfil my dream of looking down&nbsp;at him on the podium!!! :) :)

750Y
9th June 2003, 19:25
Just a refection of what young people are doing - they would rather do some trendy ''extreme'' sport that requires no pure guts and comitment.
I would disagree with the assumption some extreme sports take no guts or commitment. it takes a little bit of motivation. Trust me.
I think the money thing is a big issue. Some lucky kids get motorbikes for xmas but how many really? compared to say boogie boards/mountain bikes/skateboards/snowboards etc.
How many kids can just turn around and say "well I think i'll start up motorcycling today"? not many is the answer. and then when/where do they ride them?
also, let's face it, a family day at the races is pathetic because there's very little catered for in terms of family participation at ANY event.
Get the families into it and it will get better.
Honestly if You go to any race event around the country it's 50% asshole guys with serious faces on, ponsing around like they're the man, and worrying about the jetting and the gearing. when do You see those guys kicking the ball with the kids in the paddock? I took my family to puke one time and was giving my daughter rides on my bike and she loved it but she was the only kid there execpt for one poor boy whose dad was fiddling with his car all day and the kid was reading in the car.
That is not an environment that fosters participation by the kids and what heroes do they have there?
I think that it's the riders that are killing it. It's like the old boys club and that sucks.
Just look at what happens when Girls get involved, the shit they have to put up with. It's an intimidating environment not a friendly one so where's the fun? so why the hell get involved with that bull when a day at the beach with the kids and their boards and a beer or 2 in the sun is a day everyone enjoyed.
anyway what would i know.

Nouseforaname
9th June 2003, 20:02
I would love to get into bike racing....... im 22 ( only been riding for 1 1/2 years ) but i couldnt think of anything more fun...... problem is im skint :-) if i could afford to buy the bike and everything else that goes with it, i would in a heartbeat. Shit happens i guess.... but i diffinetly think more needs to be done to get people into it. Also what are peoples thoughts on the numbers of guys and girls buying bikes these days? Are the number of people buying bikes say in their early teens early 20's about the same as 20-30 years ago, or does everybody just go out and try to turn their mums mitsi charade into a rolling piece of shit ( more so than factory) and make it sneeze every time they change gears. Cos if what i have witnessed is correct, bugger all 'younger' people buy bikes, as somebody else said, you gota have peole on bikes before they start to race :-)

Racey Rider
9th June 2003, 21:37
Originally posted by 750Y
... Honestly if You go to any race event around the country it's 50% asshole guys with serious faces on, ponsing around like they're the man, and worrying about the jetting and the gearing. when do You see those guys kicking the ball with the kids in the paddock? ......

I went to my first track race at manfield on the 24th of May to check things out. Had no race licence, but wanted to ask lots of questions about the whole deal. But who to ask was the main question! Thought the organisers seemed too busy to talk to a new-be. The riders were probably friendly enough, but seemed too intimidating. I caught the end of the lunchtime lesson, but that didn't seem like the right place to ask "Basic" questions. They apointed a riders rep, but, who is he? where is he? what's he for?? Yes I allowed myself to be psyched out by the whole scene.
But I suggest, that a lot of people would feel the same way!

What could be done? Could there be a "New-be's" person, (with a big name tag so we can identify them), that would be a point of referance for starters. Whose job it is to anwer the basic questions and encourage new-comers to take the next step.
Maybe even just at the lunch break, Someone to say "Hey,, if you're new, and would like to know more, come and see me!"
The club does a good job to get volunteers to do flag duty etc. Could they find a person to do this "New-be's" job. Not important enough?? Depends if you're trying to offer the whole package.

PS. I think that if I saw a biker there with one of our logo stikers on his/her bike, I'ld be more inclined to bowl on up and say hi. I'd like to think once I get going in the sport I'll seem friendly enough to be approched, and do what I can to build the sport.

PPS
Originally posted by HO-Hoon
At this rate Rossi will have retired by the time I reach MotoGP and I'll never fulfil my dream of looking down&nbsp;at him on the podium!!! :) :)

GO THE HOON!!:niceone:

Motu
9th June 2003, 22:04
I've had dealings with every form of motorcycle sport and would have to say that the trials scene is the friendliest and most helpful bunch of guys you'll ever meet,new guys are welcomed,helped and even loaned bikes to try,Dads ride around with their little kids in front,bigger kids bring their Pee Wees along and putter around the paddocks,wives take the bike out for a ride - just a fun atmosphere.I remember a little boy who used to come along with his Dad (who still can win a trial) and watch and play ride - he later became World Junior Trials Champ and World Enduro Champ.Not an arsehole to be seen,well,maybe one :o

Kwaka-Kid
10th June 2003, 04:59
hahahaha.

hmm yes we need somebody to approch, some of us have kiwibiker... but think of all those that dont.

750Y
10th June 2003, 09:42
It sounds like the trials guys have a really cool approach to their events. It's great to see that sort of involvement with the family etc. & it allows everyone to have a go especially kids which is sort of what this thread is about i feel. as Motu pointed out there came a champion from that environment. Maybe the roadracers could pay attention instead of being so typically selfish. It's not exactly the world GP's or anything but some kid could be up there if they were welcomed into a friendly environment.

bluninja
10th June 2003, 10:32
I didn't have much trouble when I went to Puke for a look see at a race when I first arrived...though perhaps asking who Robbie Dean was, and telling him he was lucky he finished 3rd wasn't a smart move:o I can certainly understand that it can be daunting, but there are always some nice friendly people around ...even at the track.

Sadly it's a bit hard at the race track to let somebody have a go on your bike, but there are loads of helpful people around, who will lend, donate, sell parts...or even lend a bike to someone to race. Last time at Taupo I took my kids, bicycles, soccerball, picnic table, and my kids went and played all day whilst I raced and they really enjoyed it...they even watched me race. They're not coming this time, cos my wife doesn't like sorting out the spew on the way home.

TTFN

&nbsp;

750Y
10th June 2003, 11:19
Last time at Taupo I took my kids, bicycles, soccerball, picnic table, and my kids went and played all day whilst I raced and they really enjoyed it...they even watched me race.

nice one bluninja, hope a few more can turn on to that and make it a bigger day for everyone. That's got to be a great way forward. I guess it's like racing a bit too where You've gotta jump in there and mix it up if You wanna be part of it. but back in the paddock there's plenty of scope for everyone to be involved if it was a good atmosphere like that.
I don't want to come across saying all racers are selfish a-holes(not true) cos there are a lot of nice people in there who will share a cuppa and a yarn & help each other out, but it is a busy environment too for the serious half that really don't seem to have time for anything but themselves. After the races though they're all just normal people again.
I guess I'm saying maybe they're just very occupied at the time to try and get involved with the bigger picture. but keep chipping away at it and things will change slowly for the better. I'm not sure whether a suggestion about MNZ being more actively involved in the promotion of this is appropriate as I don't know really what they do, but I'm sure there is scope there for some consideration on this side of things.

Dave
10th June 2003, 11:52
Good call 750Y,Unfortunately the competition is so fierce that if I dont concentrate on working on the bike or taking time out to mentally prep.I will get wasted out on the track.Funny thing is I got into bike racing cos I love riding and watching racing,but now I dont get to watch any because i'm too busy at the track.As blue found out at manfield when he came to see us-I felt like an arse cos I didn't spare him as much time as I would've liked.
I know what you mean about intimidation,I would've started racing 5-10years sooner if i had felt more welcome at the track.
Love the idea of the newby's rep, or an information tent with calanders,basic classes,contact details,etc.
Don't feel intimidated-just talk to someone-they're just bike riders like you,me and anyone here.

bluninja
10th June 2003, 13:20
To be fair Dave, you did have a scuffed bike to sort :D Maybe if I spent more time thinking about my racing and preparing myself I would do better than just going around and saying hello to people. Still....I'm having fun.

Is it still touch and go for Taupo? or is it totally off now?

TTFN

&nbsp;

Kwaka-Kid
10th June 2003, 16:29
hmm information tent area thing sounds like an idea...

750Y
10th June 2003, 17:07
sounds like a good start to me.

Dave
10th June 2003, 17:55
Yeah I had some hassles with getting some stuff out of aussie,and I've given my fibreglasser and signwriter so many big jobs at short notice this year I decided to wait this one out.
I'm going to fire the bike together over the next 2 weeks and then head out to puke with the standard engine and do a bunch of laps.Also be getting Norm at supercross to give my forks the usual spruce up.

SPman
10th June 2003, 18:57
. Still....I'm having fun.&nbsp;
&nbsp;

Isn't that , ultimately, what&nbsp; it's all about!:)

babyB
10th June 2003, 22:11
NZs next World Road Race Champion?............i want to be!!!:D&nbsp; but who the hells gonna send me to the Racing School? whos gonna give me a that lucky break?....me &amp; my wallet i reckon.

my frist trip to the track with my bike (thanks to the last owner of my bike), was a real eye-opener . i got introduced to ppl, given lots of encrougment &amp; advice. sent my partner out on the bike first, dam then i got cold feet &amp; didnt want to go out...more advice &amp; encouragment given, they even set up another rider to go with me (talk about chicken shit). in the end my partner borrowed a bike and rode with me.....i so loved it.....then took partner to hospilal.....got back to track with more encouragment i got a bit of riding in. oh i had my 2 kids&nbsp;(8yr, 2 1/2yr old) with me too....all-in-all i couldnt have asked for a more helpful bunch of people at the track.at the days end i felt like a champ....if it wernt for these ppl i wouldnt have got back on track

IMO you all are&nbsp;champions when you can do the best that you can,&nbsp;you enjoy what your doing ,and&nbsp;you help those who need it.

at the lower leval this sport needs promoting

Motu
10th June 2003, 22:49
Just another note about times past and the WANT to go racing - When they started a stock bike or flat track class at Rosebank Speedway in the late 70s you couldn't keep guys off the track...there were 25 bikes out at a time,total carnage (Sleepy Tripp got run over by the whole field,in a T shirt!) so they had to split them - 12 bikes on the grid,thats 3 rows deep at a speedway track.If they did it again these days who would get out there? - SFA!!!!

Kwaka-Kid
11th June 2003, 04:57
is there not a dead stock f3 style class around anymore? i thought clubmans f3 had fairly tight limits/hoped :)

Dave
11th June 2003, 09:21
KK. clubmans and F3 are totally diferent classes.F3 has strict guide lines for engine size,configuration and mods,etc.
Clubmans is run what ya brung-and is intended for club members wanting to have a go at racing to get in and have a try without having to buy special equipment.

bluninja
11th June 2003, 12:40
BabyB, so are you bringing partner and kids to Taupo? I'm&nbsp;bringing mine if the weather is dry (6,7,9 years old). Well I must say it is going to be a privelege racing against a future&nbsp;world champion that is also going to be the first woman to do it &nbsp;:)

Nice AGM last night, learnt some new stuff relevant to this thread.....

AMCC provide a scholarship to help kids 13-15 get more into racing. There's also a deal whereby raceparts for 150s are provided at heavily discounted rates for young riders. In addition there are days setup during school holidays at Mt Wellingotn Kart Track for kids to be coached in racing, and I think the clubs training bikes go there at some bucket meets (not sure who gets to ride them though). So there are some initiatives in place for younger riders, though clearly not publicised enough.

As for the nationals, no dates set but there are plans to have 2 groupings, group 1 will be the 600 and 1000 production superbikes classes, and group 2 will be the other current championship classes. Group 1 may have 2 rounds in a mixed car/bike meet allowing the event to be televised (cost for getting it televised???? is too much for MNZ alone). I wasn't clear whether this meant that group 2 would only have a 3 round championship, or whether there would be 2 rounds seperate for the group 2 racers.

TTFN

&nbsp;

Kwaka-Kid
11th June 2003, 16:27
ohh okay blu- from what i udnerstood.. back in the "day" in clubmans there were Formulas.. so in clubmans id enter f3-clubmans, so im only with bikes my size etc... i take it these days there arnt enough people so do they mix them all up? - or am i mis-informed from the way it was in the 70's/80's?

bluninja
11th June 2003, 21:42
Don't know how things were in the 70s/80s esepcially in NZ so&nbsp;I can't comment. But Clubmans is definately a mixed class now ranging from 150s through to 1200cc bikes. Not all Clubs run clubmans as often the numbers are low. If you go to silverbullet website you can see the results for the PMCC round 1 and see the mix of bikes that entered clubmans; though the majority of 'modern' bikes would have qualified for F3 anyway with the exception of the GS1000 and the GSF1200.

TTFN

babyB
11th June 2003, 22:16
yep Blu...partner &amp; 3 kids comming rain hail or shine

couple of them Champs' finished at the back of the field in the begining too.:o

Kwaka-Kid
12th June 2003, 05:17
ohh okay thanks for that Si. cheers heaps ill google the silverbullet site.

bluninja
12th June 2003, 10:17
KK try http://www.silverbullet.co.nz/

TTFN

Kwaka-Kid
12th June 2003, 16:14
oh yeah, already went htere lalt night and al :) found it easy enuf.

cheers for that dude, i vagually remember finding that site when i first found this site agesa ago, googleing for ZXR400 or somthing i think.

Ivan
18th November 2005, 21:13
Jay Lawrence is going to be definetly

gav
18th November 2005, 21:56
Jay Lawrence is going to be definetly
Hell, I thought it was going to be you?????? :lol:

BarryG
19th November 2005, 07:10
It seems to me that a lot of roadracers come from a motocross (or dirt in US) background. Is MX more popular in NZ? Perhaps, if it is, it's because its a lot easier getting into dirt biking at an early age because of the necessity for licensing for a road bike, which carries with an age limit (16 in NZ?),
Surely the money angle has been a factor from time immemorial? The good ones have overcome that, they seem to show promise and talent and then get rides on the basis of ability. I'm thinking more of US and Australia, as being somewhat more generally affluent than NZ, perhaps, but I think most blokes starting out have the drive or will to get beyond that. We've had MX world champions very recently, but nobody in road racing since Aaron Slight (except Paul Anstey(?) at the TT). Please correct me on this, BTW. I don't know how you translate the heroics of the blokes who succeed overseas into the desire for someone else to see this and get really committed to emulate. TV/media has always been ambivalent to motorcycle racing, certainly in US, and likley the same in NZ, altho' I wonder if the Aussies have more coverage because of the Gardners, Doohans etc. They also have world champ races, which NZ doesn't (now).
Sorry, no ideas as to how to get kids from MX to road racing, but that's probably the best route to take.
Cheers
Barry

Fluffy Cat
19th November 2005, 11:11
Hey!.
Did anyone read my post on drifting?.
Its a very new sport.
It attracts young drivers in droves and 5000 peeps turned up for the champs.
Dont give people shit for not turning up for AGMs as there are things called lives and work(whilst you were at the AGM i was busy helping someone get a new hip).
How about more comunication at the events ie get some feed back from riders at races.
I started racing last year and it was due to KK he got me going and got me there.
Did the club say high or heres how we race put this yellow bib on etc nah stuff all no imput.
Look at whats happening in other places ie 1 day licences.Stock 600 racing etc.
And better races instead of 6 lap sprints which are over before they start.

k14
19th November 2005, 11:29
Hell, I thought it was going to be you?????? :lol:
No silly, he's just going to bypass the nz champs and go straight to the world champs, gee :bash:

Sparky Bills
19th November 2005, 11:36
TV, Sponsors and money!
I find it sad that Prime TV can show the Ozzy Superbike Champs (bloody good racing by the way), but not say anything about New Zealand Superbike champs.

Whats up with that??
We are keeping up to date with whats happening over seas and forgetting the racing here.

With no tv, there are no new sponsors and with no sponsors, there is no money! It all works hand in hand.

Im 21, I have been racing for 2years now. The only reason i can race is cause i work in a bike shop, who lets me ride on of their race bikes. If i didnt have that, i couldnt afford to race.
I dont know how some of these younger guys do it.

Brian d marge
19th November 2005, 11:54
Family , Family Family ....

I havent photos of the pocket bikes or race bike Meetings here but I have some of MX
When I go to these meetings all I see is Familys , They set out the deck chairs mum and the kids Dad helps the kids with the bikes ,,etc and it will be family support that will get you there ,
Working part time for pack and save ,,,wont help if Dad dont sign the HP form
I Competed in a 4 hour event in Nelson before I came here ...We tore the valves out of a the inner tubes and hadnt bought enough replacements ,, Well I cant say enough of how kind everyone was ....and for me the thing I really noticed was afterwards there was none of this standing around looking cool or whatever ,,,everyone was chatting away ,,and I felt safe to say things like I couldnt do that ,,wow that was tough ,,,with out getting that ,,famous line what are ya ,,,,,,,,
I think this is what Motul is saying ,,,its just FUN for everyone , mum dad and the kids ..all come back talking excitedly about differing things ...
Ruapuna on a cold saturday ,,,,yeah right, Thats not entertainment thats perverse !!!!!!
Well thats what I see here anyway , and have seen at the MX I have competd in In NZ ,,,,The UK is a bit more business like ( but I wasa mechanic and didnt get out much so cant really say how the family was invovlved )

Stephen

Kwaka-Kid
19th November 2005, 12:30
Two Smoker

Ivan
19th November 2005, 13:56
No silly, he's just going to bypass the nz champs and go straight to the world champs, gee :bash:

Yeah and I have allready signed a contract to race and develop the Malaguti 125 and also race the KR Proton for Kenny Roberts SR

Ivan
19th November 2005, 13:58
TV, Sponsors and money!
I find it sad that Prime TV can show the Ozzy Superbike Champs (bloody good racing by the way), but not say anything about New Zealand Superbike champs.

Whats up with that??
We are keeping up to date with whats happening over seas and forgetting the racing here.

With no tv, there are no new sponsors and with no sponsors, there is no money! It all works hand in hand.

Im 21, I have been racing for 2years now. The only reason i can race is cause i work in a bike shop, who lets me ride on of their race bikes. If i didnt have that, i couldnt afford to race.

Mum and Dad and a real good bikeshop who get there gear through Darbi and I know Andrew well

gav
20th November 2005, 20:08
TV, Sponsors and money!

Whats up with that??

Maybe the fact there is no NZ Superbike racing at the moment? dunno, just a random thought.....
Thought Sky gave pretty good coverage of NZ road racing last season?

Ivan
20th November 2005, 21:03
Sucks they didnt show 125GP