PDA

View Full Version : Tires: Pirelli Sport Demon - Comments?

Zapf
5th August 2004, 11:03
Is there anyone using / had experience with Pirelli sport demon's? If so can you tell me what you think about them.

Thanks

http://www.pirellimoto.com/images/battistrada_images/Sport%20Demon.gif

http://www.pirellimoto.com/images/battistrada_images/Sport%20Demon%20Front.gif

aff-man
5th August 2004, 11:08
mmmmmmmmm pirelli. Get nice and warm quicker than others for same price :shifty:

Devil
5th August 2004, 11:12
Is there anyone using / had experience with Pirelli sport demon's? If so can you tell me what you think about them.

Thanks

Well, I dont have anything to comment on, but im just about to buy a set.

Kwaka-Kid
5th August 2004, 11:12
yep! About the best crossply tyre you can get for sport riding, or those Bridgestone BT56's or whatever apparently...

Zapf
5th August 2004, 11:37
Bridgestone tires link

Bridge Stone Japan (http://mc.bridgestone.co.jp/jp/products/category/onroad.html)

k14
5th August 2004, 12:30
Had a rear on my VT250 and there was nothing bad i could say about it. I did around 4000 or so kms on it and there were no noticable signs of wear. Very good commuter and occasional thrash tyre. Not sure if the fronts are imported to NZ, couldn't get one to fit my VT, but the VTR might use a different tyre. Fairly cheap aswell. Would definately recommend it.

phil_elvey
5th August 2004, 12:57
Got a set on the ZX at the moment. Good tyres. Done 3000 odd kms of half thrash/half commute and no significant wear as yet.

FROSTY
5th August 2004, 13:10
devil asked me the same question. In my opinion a darn good tyre and ill second the warming up answer . My only negative comment about them is when they let go it is with a bang not a big transition from grip to slide. But I don't think a 4 stroke 250 is going to be able to find the tyres limits on the road so that really is accademic.
I do like the way they seem to keep working propperly right up to being worn out.

aff-man
5th August 2004, 13:17
[QUOTE=XJ/FROSTY] My only negative comment about them is when they let go it is with a bang not a big transition from grip to slide. But I don't think a 4 stroke 250 is going to be able to find the tyres limits on the road so that really is accademic.
QUOTE]

Ummmmmmmmmmmm i did :whistle: :whistle: :o :bye:

k14
5th August 2004, 13:22
Yeah, but that would be from something slippery on the road and not from the power of the bike. I've had a few slides on my GPR70's but not caused from the power of my bike, just a mix of greasy road and/or cold tyres.

But back to the topic, go with the sport daemons, you won't regret it. Perfect for a VTR.

aff-man
5th August 2004, 13:26
No it wasn't something on the road. To much force on front tyre so that when put an angle gave way. Believe me. But go with the tyres man they are excellent for a vtr. You'll enjoy the feeling they give when you get a bit low and they stick perfectly to the road.

Motoracer
5th August 2004, 13:30
No it wasn't something on the road. To much force on front tyre so that when put an angle gave way. Believe me. But go with the tyres man they are excellent for a vtr. You'll enjoy the feeling they give when you get a bit low and they stick perfectly to the road.

Yep, I have done that on the TZR before. I was at the racetrack thinking I was the shit, scraping my pegs, then the next thing the front sports demon let go and I was scraping my arse!

Still, they are good, specailly for the VTR!!

Zapf
5th August 2004, 18:11
Ermm... which brings me to another question. How do you know when you are too low and will run out of tire?

And how to make sure you don't go to low?

FROSTY
5th August 2004, 18:16
you are too low when the bike is goin one way and you're goin the other.
seriously dude you are a long way from finding the answer to that question.
There are 125 race guys who have elbow scrapers they get that big an angle of lean going.
On your 250 you will have the footpeg hanger brackets on the deck befotre ya run off the side of the tyre.

aff-man
5th August 2004, 18:22
true (of the vt anyway) just watch out for the slippery silicon stuff on the tyre when first purchased. Makes the first ride on new tyres quite interesting

Zapf
5th August 2004, 18:52
Hahaha.. tkns frosty.

Cheers aff-man, I have been riding her up and down the street slowly to rub/boil off the slippery stuff. Just need to sort out the corners now.

aff-man
5th August 2004, 19:11
i think there is something you can wash it off with but i forget what it is. Can anyone help me out??

wkid_one
5th August 2004, 19:21
Ermm... which brings me to another question. How do you know when you are too low and will run out of tire?

And how to make sure you don't go to low?
Yeah - I agree with Frosty - your tyres will far exceed your mind when it comes to cornering.

Zapf
5th August 2004, 19:29
I think its that brake cleaning stuff u talking abt.....

Kwaka-Kid
6th August 2004, 00:11
umm NO! Dont use any solvents on tyres, ive heard rumours but i wouldnt put bloody break cleaner on them! do it the traditional way as everyone else does! The only trick i knew of was a bit of a meths wipe down but i am unsure of that even.

Anyways regarding running out of tyre etc in my experience its always been the back end first! im sure most tyres are designed this way... ive had minor front end let goes on D207GP's @ Taupo and ruapuna and it was really kinda slower then i thought i guess - but we put it down to the tyres over-heating, dunno what diff that makes to being too cold!... i honestly cant work out loosing the front end on a warm day on a warmed up tyre on the street unless you hit something slippery? As its always my back end that lets go first on Sport Demons, BT090's, GPR70SP's, D207GP's... the only conclusion i can come to is that i am possibly putting my weight over the front end more. Who knows, all i know is shit does happen but thankfully with whatever style im using it happens to the rear which seems to give me the shits but often be managable!

Zapf
6th August 2004, 01:00
eeekk... Ok. haven't done anything yet.

Would adjusting the suspension softer in the back keep it from stepping out for you? just a guess...

Velox
6th August 2004, 01:39
I've got Sport Demons on and they seem to do the trick. Don't think I'm at the stage yet (or tyre experience) that I can tell you too much about them though. But I got them for only a few more dollars than Bridgstones or IRCs so they're a good deal!

Kwaka-Kid
6th August 2004, 08:40
Zapf my suspension is too soft as it is matey! Havnt experienced much harder though but i will say that having soft suspension and lighting up the rear exiting castrol on the track u get this full pogo motion in the rear, really controlled and really smooth, it just goes in and out and in and out as the rear tyre starts to slide... im thinking thats coz the sus it too soft - but all good because ive been able to catch it and learn from it so far!

vifferman
6th August 2004, 09:24
Cheers aff-man, I have been riding her up and down the street slowly to rub/boil off the slippery stuff. Just need to sort out the corners now.You can use meths or brake cleaner to remove the silicon, but a MUCH better option is to go to a supermarket carpark at a time when they're not busy, and do lots of clockwise and anticlockwise circles, or figure-of-eights. You can actually lean the bike over quite a way if you sit fairly upright (rather than leaning into the turn) and push the bike down in towards the centre of the turn. This will get rid of the slippery stuff better than riding slowly on the street, which will only scrub off the centre of the tread.
The advantage of this method for you, Zapf, is it will also give you much-needed practice with getting used to the handling of your bike.

Zapf
6th August 2004, 10:11
LOL, cheers firestormer.
So... I'll be terrorizing the local countdown carpark today then :P Poor grannies....

Cheers dude.

aff-man
6th August 2004, 11:56
hahahahahah that reminds me. When still a wet behind the ears rider getting my first set of tyres put on you wanna know what the mechanic told me. Go onto the motorway and swerve accross all 3 lanes to get rid of the silicon. Now for someone who had been riding for oh i dunno 1 1/2 weeks and had a learner so couldn't go on motorway this (now at least) sounds like the stupidest suggestion in the world. Not onlt do you have to find motorway without traffic ( IN AUCKLAND!!!) but what about those damn cats-eyws :done: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

wkid_one
6th August 2004, 12:12
Just ride the bike - as it is not just about removing the protection but it is also about heating the tyre up as well. I have never had the 'scares' people talk about on new tyres.

Just ride smooth and gradually lean it in further and further on each corner. 80-100km later - and your tyres are scrubbed in.

wkid_one
6th August 2004, 12:13
Zapf my suspension is too soft as it is matey! Havnt experienced much harder though but i will say that having soft suspension and lighting up the rear exiting castrol on the track u get this full pogo motion in the rear, really controlled and really smooth, it just goes in and out and in and out as the rear tyre starts to slide... im thinking thats coz the sus it too soft - but all good because ive been able to catch it and learn from it so far!
You are a true Westie aren't you - only one would set the rear suspension of a race bike up soft so he can do rolling burnouts out of Castrol!

Zapf
6th August 2004, 15:33
Hahaha... u will crack up when u do meet me :P

BTW, are you not allowed on Motorway while on learners?

And what about those cat eyes? Am I going to get into big "trouble" if I hit them?

Devil
6th August 2004, 15:50
Hahaha... u will crack up when u do meet me :P

BTW, are you not allowed on Motorway while on learners?

And what about those cat eyes? Am I going to get into big "trouble" if I hit them?
They dont say you're not allowed on the motorway, but since you've got a 70km/h speed restriction I wouldnt get on there. (im on learners too).

Catseyes can be a penis. Try and avoid them, especially on corners! Its like hitting a greased monkey.

aff-man
6th August 2004, 16:14
especially if is is a bit damp. can be a bit of a bugger when your front or rear slip a bit when hitting them. Most arn't to bad but some on the motorway are a bitch and a half.

Kwaka-Kid
7th August 2004, 01:11
oi Wkid mate! I didnt set it up soft! Shes at as hard as she goes its the stoopid bloody Honda suspension mate! Got 3x rear shocks and for some westie reason ive got the worst one in atm, but trying things out none the less...

Zapf
19th August 2004, 22:56
want to say tkns for the info on the tires. I hav had them for 2 weeks and have scrubbed 1000 k's into them :msn-wink: they have been good to me so far, probly since I am riding grandma style relative to u guys.

Now I just want a faster bike :P its a bit of a mission overtaking at open road speeds.

R6_kid
20th August 2004, 14:17
yeh, i got a sport demon on the back of the GF (bike not girlfriend :P) yesterday. Got the day off school so i've been cruising the motorways mid-morning with little traffic on them (wierd that...) but all i can say is "OMG I can feel the road!!!" I've had to soften up my suspension after putting on the new tyre (thank god for adjustable suspension). The bike feels a lot more responsive, seems to take off faster, and just generally corners and feels better. NOW lets see who gets rid of the chicken strips first :niceone:

Devil
20th August 2004, 16:19
I get my set of sport demons on at 9am tomorrow :)

Zapf
20th August 2004, 17:28
:2thumbsup just make sure you boil off the silicon slowly for the 1st 200k's ok :) u won't want to discover the traction limits of silicon too quickly aya.

Being the Devil, i am sure u are on quite good terms with THE demon. should u ever need to wip its ass in line. :bleh:

Devil
24th August 2004, 11:35
Well had them on for 100km or so, and am about 1cm from the edge of them. Wow what a huge improvement in grip and feel (compared to my old shitty tyres). Has made me feel so much more relaxed and confident on the bike.