PDA

View Full Version : ST1100 and ST1300, What ya views?

RiderInBlack
5th February 2007, 17:32
Been tryin a few bikes as a replacement for "Roxanne" the CBR1000F. So far only the ST1300 has felt right for me (sorry the Blackbird, Busa and the Bandit 1200 did not), but can not afford one of those, so will try a ST1100. Is there anything I sould really look out for with these bikes (with the CBR1000F it is the cam-chain and the exhaust collector-box)?

Lou Girardin
5th February 2007, 19:29
The 1100 and 1300 are like chalk and cheese. They're both nearly bullet-proof though. In the UK they talk about 250,000 k's with major work.
I'm seriously considering a 1300. There's a young buck on some little 400 sprotbike who found out how hard 1300's can go in the twisty's.

Hitcher
5th February 2007, 21:21
There are more ST1100s sold each year in New Zealand than ST1300s, thanks to grey imports. They're pretty bulletproof, as previously mentioned. A mate of mine had an ST1100 and loved it. They don't seem to have the screen/cross-wind issues that the ST1300s have, and they also run a 17" front wheel, with all of the benefits that entails...

Don't forget they were the Police bike of choice here until the recent change to BMWs.

SwanTiger
5th February 2007, 21:51
ST1100, beautiful machines, I don't think you'll find many people who rubbish them, and if you do, take it with a grain of salt.

When I have a new place with a bigger garage I'm going to buy a ST1100 and paint it in repsol colours for shits and giggles.

Let us know how it goes Doug :2thumbsup

rustys
7th February 2007, 13:12
Nothing wrong with the ST's, good bikes, lots Ulyssess guys have got them and clock up some big mileages with no problems, they are an exellent tourer, and good bikes over long distances. Good seating for the pillion, exhaust pipes nice and low, giving plenty of leg room.
I rode a Pan European but found my knees were a little to tight to fit into the fairings, bit cramped.
I have just purchased a 2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 AS, a very simalar bike to the ST.
I have had a number of bikes over the years, but this takes the cake for touring, a loverly bike, they were slow to sell to start with but your starting to see more on the road now.
Go for a ride on one...... you might be impressed !!!!!!:niceone:

kiwifruit
7th February 2007, 13:23
Both are great bikes to be pillion on too

Finn
7th February 2007, 13:25
Go the 1300. My lady was complaining about a sore bottom on the MV so to keep her keen on bikes, we test rode an ST1300. Smooth and handles remarkably well. Didn't get my knee down though.

Was funny, I was riding down the motorway and I though I'd test the grip warmers. Flicked em on mid and continued on. After a while nothing, so I turned them on high and forgot about them. Sometime later I remembered and thought "Shit these grip warmers sure are useless... but why is my arse on fire?"

RiderInBlack
7th February 2007, 13:47
:killingme Loved that Finn.

Have been told that the ST1300 is slower than the ST1100 and catches the wind more. Any truth in that?

Anyway am still kean on one, but have decided that I can not afford a ST yet (one that has not don't too many km's that is).
Looking hard @ 1 of "Roxanne's" younger "sisters" at the moment (a low k CBR1000FV). Should be able to afford it (I hope). It should last me for another 3yrs. By then I should have the money for a ST.

Hitcher
7th February 2007, 17:49
Dunno about slower. I understand that an ST1300 will top out in excess of 220kmh on windless Wairarapa roads. Not that I would condone such a practice...

Hitcher
7th February 2007, 17:51
but why is my arse on fire?

I went to a party like that once when I was younger. It may have involved "herbal" cigarettes. I can't remember much.

shafty
7th February 2007, 19:15
Hi Doug, howzit?

What sort of $$ are you looking to spend? Recently saw a super low mileage ST1100 advertised which I thought was great value. I'll hunt it out if interested,

Shafty
Tga Uselessess

RiderInBlack
7th February 2007, 19:25
Hi Doug, howzit?

What sort of $$ are you looking to spend? Recently saw a super low mileage ST1100 advertised which I thought was great value. I'll hunt it out if interested,

Shafty
Tga Uselessess
For under $10K? I am still interest in them.
But have found a CBR1000FV (1997 and very low miles) that I hope to get for less than $9K if I'm lucky. "Roxanne's" (CBR1000FL 1990) Custom Rider Seat will fit it, as should the Custom Chamber's Header pipes and can I had got made for her.

shafty
7th February 2007, 20:03
Here it is Mate:

http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBikeID=2286062&TabID=3553&Alias=motorcycletradernz

A bit above your price, but maybe you can screw them. Super low miles. Also it's BLACK.

- beats being the Rider in Brown...

The_Dover
7th February 2007, 20:06
I went to a party like that once when I was younger. It may have involved "herbal" cigarettes. I can't remember much.

you should come round to my place hitcher

you're never too old..

oldrider
7th February 2007, 21:53
Hi Rider in Black, I had two Honda ST1100's and they are very reliable and economic bikes.

Some don't like them because they are a bit heavy at first but I used to chuck mine around no trouble even on the gravel.

On standard tyres they will not red line in top gear but I put a low profile tyre on the back and red lined at 150mph, unfortunately that tyre only lasted 400km and it fell to bits.

Standard bike is great, like some one said the fairings are a bit close on your knees so check that out for your size and fit first.

The seats are not that flash if I had another one it would be straight off to "Rider" seats in Tauranga for remodeling. Cheers John

PS: Cam belt at 100,000km, can't think of anything else except tyres and routine checks.

Lou Girardin
8th February 2007, 06:02
Have been told that the ST1300 is slower than the ST1100 and catches the wind more. Any truth in that?

I doubt that. The 1300 will stay with an FJR to 160 k's, despite more weight and less power.

just plain happy
22nd March 2007, 09:36
I have had an ST1100 for two years and recently bought a ST1300. the 1100 was very reliable with 86000MILES on the clock (About 139000km) with the voltage reg melting and being the thing that tipped the scales towards a trade in on the ST1300. pre 93 1100s have generators not alternators, and they can be expensive to repair as the engine needs to come out. the 1300 engine is shorter by about 50mm, the weight is both lowered and less than the 1100, and as a result the bike feels livlier and more stable in corners. it is surprisingly easy at walking pace. almost all my riding is two up. There is heaps of pillion room, even my 110kg buddy on the back is no sweat. My wife and I carry all we need for three weeks camping on the bike including stove, pots, sleeping bags, tent.... you get the idea. Fuel economy on the new bike is much better than the 1100. I'm getting between 17 and 18.7 km per litre two up and loaded down. The 1100 was carbed and the 1300 is injected. New bike is not much different in big winds than the old..... both surprisingly good there too. Electric screen on the 1300 is a great thing! At 185cm tall I find both comfortable. 3 seat heights on the 1300. Seats a bit bony as oldrider says.... but not too bad for the first couple of hours. (What's the deal with Rider Seats? I don't know about them..)

Give the STs a go.... then you'll know why so many love them, and if you don't there is always a line of folks witing for one!

RiderInBlack
22nd March 2007, 16:21
What's the deal with Rider Seats? I don't know about them.
RIDER CUSTOM SEATS (http://www.trimit.co.nz/) . Bloody awesome:Punk: Read Custom Seats (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=10174) on this site. Makes all the difference in the world on "Roxanne" my old CBR1000FL for the long rides. No sheep skin needed for the Rust Nuts Grand Challenge using the Rider Seat.

RiderInBlack
22nd March 2007, 16:37
Tried a ST1300 today:Punk: (as well as a V-Strom 1000 for the hell of it). Must say I loved it. Felt better than the ST1100. Played with the Electic Screen too. Awesome. Leg position is so much better than my CBR1000FL. Was so hard cramping my legs back to CBR1000F position afterwards. The total body position is just right for me and the bike didn't feel too big.

I want one. Too bad I'm broke arsed at the moment (Norf loving for ya:shit: , just joking), but gives me an awesome goal ta reach for.

Hitcher
22nd March 2007, 16:39
Take an FJR for a strop before you shell out on an ST1300, Doug. Who knows, you may like it.

RiderInBlack
22nd March 2007, 16:53
Take an FJR for a strop before you shell out on an ST1300, Doug. Who knows, you may like it.
Might do that. Funny thing is Trumsure up here traded his ST1100 for a FJR. He didn't like it on the long run and swooped the FJR back for his old ST1100:laugh: LOst himself $5000 in the process.
I will be trying quite a few bikes before I get ta buying time, but so far the ST1300 has been my favourite.

MalcolmT
2nd April 2007, 13:32
I've been considering swapping my K75 for an ST1100 for some time. I've seen a few tatty imports at the grey dealers but never spoken to an actual owner.

Are there any hassles I need to look out for on these bikes?

I've read the exhaust is prone to rust, are the silencers good ol' mild steel or SS ?

Hitcher
2nd April 2007, 13:38
are the silencers good ol' mild steel or SS ?

Highest quality stainless. They'll probably last longer than the rest of the bike.

Lance
13th April 2007, 14:33
I rented one the ST1100 in Sydney a last June. It was gutless I ride a 650 V Strome ant it has more get up and go. It weighs about 300kg so with cruising gear and mum on board you need to beef up those legs. Wouldnt recomment this bike.

Lance
13th April 2007, 14:39
The rental I had in Sydney was Gutless. Also weighs 300kg. OK when up and going but wouldnt recomment it.:zzzz:

RiderInBlack
16th April 2007, 19:25
I rented one the ST1100 in Sydney a last June. It was gutless I ride a 650 V Strome ant it has more get up and go. It weighs about 300kg so with cruising gear and mum on board you need to beef up those legs. Wouldnt recomment this bike.
LOL. Someone must have given ya a lemon. The ones I have taken were less than gutless and had much more go than the V-Strom 1000 (which didn't suit me one bit). Candy Man's ST1300 hauls arse even two-up and carrying the kitchen sink. Very much doubt a V-Strom could carry the weight a ST can and still stay with it on a good hill. The ST power is deceptive.

shafty
29th April 2007, 18:40
I ride an ST1300, but took a rock to the radiator near Oamaru, so the local dealer loaned me a ST1100 on Friday to finish the Southern Cross - got there on time etc etc.

I still have the 1100 while they fix mine, and MAN IT GOES WELL!

It just clocked over 190,000 km's yesterday and runs super smooth and sounds great.

I'd own one any day.

Mr. Peanut
29th April 2007, 19:15
I'd love to get a tourer next, and these bike sound like the go! V4 is it?

That'd sound very nice with a bit of pipe work.

merv
29th April 2007, 19:24
Having been on long rides in the mid to late 90's with Richard Scoular and his then Mrs (on the back) on an ST1100 around the North Island (850km day) and later Richard Scott around the South Island (700+km days) on an ST1100 with both those boys having a racing background I can tell you the ST is not a slow bike. Luckliy we didn't have the HP police in those days keeping such a close eye on things.

oldrider
3rd May 2007, 11:10
I ride an ST1300, but took a rock to the radiator near Oamaru, so the local dealer loaned me a ST1100 on Friday to finish the Southern Cross - got there on time etc etc.

I still have the 1100 while they fix mine, and MAN IT GOES WELL!

It just clocked over 190,000 km's yesterday and runs super smooth and sounds great.

I'd own one any day.

I think I know the one that they would have lent you,(silver?) it was one of the first ones produced too if I remember correctly.

Oamaru Honda are a very good and helpful franchise, nice new shop and workshop too.

They (ST1100) were and still are a very good long range touring motorcycle. :yes: Cheers John.

just plain happy
3rd May 2007, 22:26
I've been considering swapping my K75 for an ST1100 for some time. I've seen a few tatty imports at the grey dealers but never spoken to an actual owner.

Are there any hassles I need to look out for on these bikes?

I've read the exhaust is prone to rust, are the silencers good ol' mild steel or SS ?

This is a link to the ST1100 I traded in on a new ST1300 at Boyd Honda in Hamilton: http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBikeID=2277434&TabID=3553&Alias=motorcycletradernz
It is a great bike.... I'd spent over a grand a month before trading in... new metzlers, carbs balanced, and replaced a cracked alloy coolant pipe. The voltage regulator died and precipitated the trade in.... the plug that came out of it melted, so anyone buying would want to have a look-see and make sure that was replaced. Boyd's were great to deal with and I'd trust them. It has a non original screen that does not have the cateye cutouts. You can confirm this is our ex bike by asking if it has LED brake and signal lights added to the topbox. Trade in was $8k and it needed fixing, so they are not making a whole lot at the asking price, but may have room to move! It was NZ new, but odo is in miles not Km.

RiderInBlack
10th November 2007, 19:02
Well treated Blue Babe and myself Friday afternoon. Wanted to see what the Triumph Trophys were like ta ride 2-up and wanted ta see how ta compared ta the ST1300 and "Roxanne" (my CBR1000FL). I knew that Planet Honda had these 2 bikes in the shop so asked them nice if we could take them out for a spin.

Triumph Trophy: Took this out first. Riding height was a bit higher but still OK. Foot pegs were in a nice relaxed position for both me and Blue Babe. The bars looked like they were in a relaxed position for me, but right from the start it felt "heavy" for me (especially at the slower Town speeds). it was not long before my forearms were aching. Not good for the long rides I prefer. The bike felt too light and soft in the suspension, which did not lend me the feeling of confidence. This bike wanted me to ride slower. Great for "Cruising", but not good fa "playing":whistle: Shield position was "OK". Blue Babe did't feel she was going ta be "blown off" at legal speeds, but wasn't so good if we decide to "pick up the pace". The power was there, but ya could "use" it. Got the feeling the top for this bike would not be much past 200kpm, if that. Brakes felt they could have been better (recon "Old" "Rox's" were better). We enjoyed the ride, but dissappointing none the less. Triumph could have done so much better here, yet they never changed this bike from 1998 though to 2003.

ST1300 (2005-6): What can I say? everytime I hop on one of these, it is as if it was made for me and Blue Babe. Bars are sweet. Legs are too. "She" (the bike) seams to "sit low", but yet the lean angle is still good. Very stable at slow speeds, even 2-up. So much so, I was lane-splitting on a loaned bike in Whangarei:gob:(if ya have ridden around Whangarei ya know how little room there is to lane-split) Not something I wouldn't have tried on the Trumpie, even through the ST1300 was "fatter". The ST1300 just gave me heaps on confidence. Brakes were so f*cken good. Shield position was what ever ya wanted. Blue Babe was sweet at speeds that would have had her "gripping" tight on "Roxanne" (didn't get anywhere near that on the Triumpie). For such a "big" bike, I felt I could have kept pace with many of the "light" weights. Not bad for a "Tourer". Looks like I am going to have wait for one to come down ta my price range:whistle:

shafty
10th November 2007, 22:28
Still tyre kicking Doug?????????????????:nono:

RiderInBlack
11th November 2007, 06:03
Still tyre kicking Doug?????????????????:nono::devil2:yes. Not got the money yet ta get what I would like (getting there). Besides Planet Honda needed ta give those two bikes a bit of exercise:rolleyes:

GazzaRuney
22nd February 2008, 00:22
Two of the best ideas Honda ever had !!!!

DingoZ
22nd February 2008, 00:49
???.. Any got any idea on what the service costs would be on a st1300 if services etc were only done at a shop. Not done by owner..

DIN PELENDA
22nd February 2008, 01:44
got st1100 x police 1998 70000 kms ,top box,corbin seat,hated grips,new tires ,registred ,wof castom paintad in blue with spakles in paint job[ my owne job],visi bike indikators which stay on.... if you intrasted 7500$.I lowe that bike but for now im having fun on my 2003 R1 and im just not using st1100

RiderInBlack
22nd February 2008, 07:03
Plenty of good ST1100's going cheap now, but have set my heart on ST1300's. Much superior bike IMHO from what I have tried so far. Better looking, adjustable blade and a dream ta ride (one or two-up). So am going ta hold out for a ST1300. I can wait.

PS: If ya PM'ing me ta sell me ya bike, please give more details and pic's would be helpfully:msn-wink:

KoroJ
22nd February 2008, 22:27
???.. Any got any idea on what the service costs would be on a st1300 if services etc were only done at a shop. Not done by owner..

Yep......but it's not something you want to dwell on.

just plain happy
23rd February 2008, 08:36

My ST 1300 being new the warrany demands the first few services are done by a honda dealer. The 6000km service was $210 : Change oil and filter, clean air cleaner, check diff oil, general check of all fluids etc. The labour content was $130. The 1200km check cost $214. oil change and filter, plus had em change the diff oil. Cleaned air filter and box.... general check over. Labour content was $108.

Hope this helps

I found a great web link for removing the fairings. It is straight forward and easy. It is an easy enough bike to do the basic maintenance on yourself, even for a novice.

KoroJ
23rd February 2008, 16:45
Air Cleaner every 18K is $105 (I'm currently checking what's available in aftermarket recleanable ones) New set of tyres $650'ish fitted (They remove the right pipe to get the rear off & on), New set of 4 plugs at 23.50 ea (they have a lip so you must use the Honda item......and so on and so on.

Hinny
10th March 2008, 23:50
Plenty of good ST1100's going cheap now, but have set my heart on ST1300's. Much superior bike IMHO from what I have tried so far. Better looking, adjustable blade and a dream ta ride (one or two-up). So am going ta hold out for a ST1300. I can wait.

It is very easy to find stories of people trading their 1100s for a 1300 and then trading back again after a few thousand miles.
Smoother power delivery on the 1100 was one thing I remember.
I personally like the look of the older bike more than the new from every angle except the rear. The 1300 tail, like all the new Hondas, is impeccable.

Designed in Germany the brief for these bikes, I have read, was to be able to cruise Europe at 160kmh all day. I know 500km trips in NZ (Not highway riding.) at 100kmh av. speed are effortless.
US iron butt riders average in excess of 1600kms a day for 11 days on end. It takes a special bike, and rider, to be able to do that. One ST rider covered over 13,000 miles in 11 days.

They don't have the horsepower of the CBR1000 or the Yamaha FJR but will still run too fast for mere mortals and V4 power delivery is so smooth. And you don't need earplugs!

My advice is get an ST1100 and use it. Bountiful joy and happiness will flow.

Hitcher
11th March 2008, 17:27
And you don't need earplugs!

I don't wear earplugs because of engine noise. I wear them because of wind noise around the helmet. There's nothing worse from ringing ears at the end of a day's riding. I can't imagine a situation where I wouldn't wear earplugs whilst riding a motorcycle.

Hinny
13th March 2008, 08:39
I don't wear earplugs because of engine noise. I wear them because of wind noise around the helmet. There's nothing worse from ringing ears at the end of a day's riding. I can't imagine a situation where I wouldn't wear earplugs whilst riding a motorcycle.

Get a Shoei, tune your screen, stay under 130kms/hr.
How's that for imagination?.

Hitcher
13th March 2008, 09:17
Get a Shoei, tune your screen, stay under 130kms/hr.
How's that for imagination?.

An ST1300 is not like a Goldwing, a big Beemer or an Electroglide in that the screen does not stop air going past your helmet. While it gives a rider some protection from air flow, it doesn't remove you from it. Consequently there is helmet wind noise.

I have a Shoei. And an HJC. Neither is quieter than the other consistently in all conditions.

Wear earplugs.

jrandom
13th March 2008, 09:33
I can't imagine a situation where I wouldn't wear earplugs whilst riding a motorcycle.

I can. It's called 'being too lazy and disorganised to have earplugs on hand'.

I've found myself in that situation most of the time over the years.

As a result, I now have permanent crackling tinnitus in my left ear, and my hearing is quite significantly impaired.

In related news, my ability to form apparently-meaningful relationships with women has started growing in leaps and bounds.

Hitcher
13th March 2008, 12:14
In related news, my ability to form apparently-meaningful relationships with women has started growing in leaps and bounds.

I'm sorry, what was that you said?

RiderInBlack
13th March 2008, 12:50
Must be ya helmet size and height:wait: I have little wind noise problems. Have never needed ear plugs for wind noise. Have gone speeds over long distances that would have got me in big trouble with the law and shakes my KBC Helmet. Still no problem.
As for the ST1300, found with the screen at full height it pushed the air over top of me (the pillion on the hand was not so lucky).

revvinkevin
15th March 2008, 10:21
The 1100 and 1300 are like chalk and cheese. They're both nearly bullet-proof though. In the UK they talk about 250,000 k's with major work.
I'm seriously considering a 1300. There's a young buck on some little 400 sprotbike who found out how hard 1300's can go in the twisty's.

I've got the St1300, it is an awesome machine but very very very heavy. It can catch you out at lights on a greasy road but once on the move the weight disappears.
Tyre wear for such a big bike is great. I'm currently on 6500miles (dunno what that is in KM) and I've got plenty of life left.
Very heavy on fuel if you use it as everyday transport.
I commute and get around 32miles per gallon (again dunno what that is in metric)

Oh, and you can very easily deck the pegs. It handles like no bike of its size has a right to.:2thumbsup

Hope this helps a bit

Hinny
17th March 2008, 23:48

One well known motorcycle mag in the UK has voted the FJR the top sports tourer for 7 yrs in a row.

Hinny
17th March 2008, 23:55
There's a young buck on some little 400 sprotbike who found out how hard 1300's can go in the twisty's.

There's an old racer on a new GSXR600 who found out how hard 1100's can go in the twisty's. Lol

RiderInBlack
18th March 2008, 06:40
One well known motorcycle mag in the UK has voted the FJR the top sports tourer for 7 yrs in a row.And yet another Dec last year Rated BMW K1200GT SE top (9/10), then Honda STX1300 8/10, Kawasaki GTR1400 7/10 and the Yamaha FJR1300 AS last (6/10). Each to their own.

Hinny
18th March 2008, 09:29
And yet another Dec last year Rated BMW K1200GT SE top (9/10), then Honda STX1300 8/10, Kawasaki GTR1400 7/10 and the Yamaha FJR1300 AS last (6/10). Each to their own.

They are all damn fine motorbikes.

Kittyhawk
22nd March 2008, 12:49
http://www.thestforum.com/index.php

RiderInBlack
24th March 2008, 15:23
Thanks Kitty. Well "Roxanne,s" Lower Rattles are getting worse. Even getting chain slip on starting now. Looks like I will have to go to a second hand ST1100 for less than $10,000 because I can't effort a ST1300 for more than $16,000 right now:crybaby:

Jantar
25th March 2008, 21:38
RIB, Two Wheels Unlimited in Aleaxandra has a nice ST1100 in stock, and I think the price is around $8000. You could fly down, ride home and still have change from that $10,000 limit.

RiderInBlack
26th March 2008, 06:59
RIB, Two Wheels Unlimited in Aleaxandra has a nice ST1100 in stock, and I think the price is around $8000. You could fly down, ride home and still have change from that $10,000 limit.Awesome. Will try and contact them today. Might have ta get ya ta do a test ride and look over for me.

Jantar
26th March 2008, 20:10
I'll be in there tomorrow, so I'll have a good look at it and check the price.

Laava
26th March 2008, 20:48
Ooh, can I fly down and ride it back for you?:laugh:

RiderInBlack
27th March 2008, 07:07
I'll be in there tomorrow, so I'll have a good look at it and check the price.That would be awesome Jantar. It's an ex-cop bike @ 70,000km, so is probably white (Mmm, I'd have ta turn her to the darkside, hehehe).

RiderInBlack
27th March 2008, 14:26
Need someone there ta check this ST1100 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-147453999.htm (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Tourers/auction-147453999.htm)) out in Welly asap please. Would pay if ya know these bikes. Hitcher or someone like that.
Thanks.

Jantar
27th March 2008, 15:54
Here are some photos of the ST1100 in Alexandra.

Jantar
27th March 2008, 16:01
And some more.

I'll send a report on the test ride via pm.

FROSTY
27th March 2008, 16:02
Hey RiB --the FJR1300 I rode recently is for sale --2000 and four I think.
and itll be cheap

RiderInBlack
27th March 2008, 16:39
Hey RiB --the FJR1300 I rode recently is for sale --2000 and four I think.
and itll be cheapWhat, ya dope it:devil2: Na just kidding mate. But will it be under $10,000? Must have been trashed if it is. They are the same price more or less as the ST1300s new.

Thanks heaps Jantar. Looking forward ta ya report. See a GS1200 is in the background. That wouldn't be ya old one would it?

Jantar
27th March 2008, 16:50
....See a GS1200 is in the background. That wouldn't be ya old one would it?

No, its too low mileage to be a bike I could have owned. :D

RiderInBlack
27th March 2008, 17:13
No, its too low mileage to be a bike I could have owned. :D:killingmeFair enough.
Thanks heaps for ya report. Exactly What I Needed. THANK HEAPS. VERY INTERESTED. Will vist ya if I decide ta "pop" down ta pick up this bike.

Hitcher
29th March 2008, 12:44
and it'll be cheap

I think you mean "affordably priced"...

FROSTY
29th March 2008, 13:00
What, ya dope it:devil2: Na just kidding mate. But will it be under $10,000? Must have been trashed if it is. They are the same price more or less as the ST1300s new.

Thanks heaps Jantar. Looking forward ta ya report. See a GS1200 is in the background. That wouldn't be ya old one would it?
I talked to him about it -10k is what he wants.
I saw the bike turn up at his place. Handlebar broken ,Fairing took the brunt of a low speed drop so was heavilly grazed. One pipe is grazed
The panniers werent on it when it was crashed.
Hes fixed it and I rode it the other day. I'd buy it but to be honest Im actually enjoying being back on a sproty bike

nick69
31st March 2008, 21:47
This looks like a Police bike. I rode one very similar, whats the rego? The good thing is that money is no object on Police bikes they get everything done as and when they need it. The bikes are only ridden by one rider so i wouldnt hesitate to buy one. The only problem with the STX1300 is the UK Police found they were subject to tank slappers and highsides. The power on the ST1100 is awesome just check the clutch as the tend the burn out on quick take offs.

revvinkevin
1st April 2008, 08:43
This looks like a Police bike. I rode one very similar, whats the rego? The good thing is that money is no object on Police bikes they get everything done as and when they need it. The bikes are only ridden by one rider so i wouldnt hesitate to buy one. The only problem with the STX1300 is the UK Police found they were subject to tank slappers and highsides. The power on the ST1100 is awesome just check the clutch as the tend the burn out on quick take offs.

They can be a bit frisky for your average rider too. Fully loaded, topbox and wifey, screen in the fully up position mine can get a little "vague" at around 120mph(200km/h/).:Oops:

If you knock the screen down to halfway ar lower it settles and is good for around 130ish mph.:eek5:

Of course this should only be done on a private road or race track. :yes:

Tyre wear plays a big part too, the front can get twitchy on overbanding or white lines when worn. And that makes it "interesting":gob:

Hitcher
1st April 2008, 08:59
After having a discussion about this "tank slapper" thing with some ST1300 riders recently, their conclusion (based on personal experience) is that this phenomenum is caused/exacerbated by unequal weight distribution in the panniers. Their view was that the UK cop kit was not even spread weight-wise across the arse of the ST and that this was probably the major contributor, in their ever-humble opinions.