PDA

View Full Version : Accident First Aid. Do you know what to do?

Fub@r
6th February 2007, 21:02
I have done some first aid courses in the past and always thought I can remember all of this in the case of an emergency. But would I?

This morning I was coming along Lincoln Road and the traffic was backed up. By the time I got near the intersection with Pak'n'Save I could see that a motorbike had come to grief in the intersection. There were a lot of people around etc tending to the guy. My missus asked if we should stop also...........but for the life of me I couldn't remember squat from my last First Aid course which was a few years ago, I was meant to have done a refresher last year through work but was unable to attend due to work commitments. Now for the rest of the day I have been kicking myself for having not done that refresher.

Also whilst I was thinking about all this we all go for nice remote windy roads with our buddies, or go on organised rides. I know with the 250 rides Maverick has a current First Aid ticket.........but who would step up if Maverick was the one to take a fall? We all can't rely on mobile coverage to get assistance.

Anyway would there be any interest here in people wanting to update or obtain their First Aid ticket? Also if it were to be more tailored to what we might expect at a motorcycle accident?

Ixion
6th February 2007, 21:08
Mssrs speedie and Firefight, and Mesdames Keystone19 and Riffraff, having professional expertise in the area, put on a "First aid basics for bikers" evening a couple of years ago. Which was very worthwhile (I still have the mouth to mouth cover thingies in my legging pocket). Perhaps they could be suborned to repeat it?

Basically, with cell phones and helibulances (is that a word- if not I claim patent rights), the old first aid of splints and tourniquets etc is passe - just keep IP warm and ventilated (ie mouth to mouth, CPR) until the chopper arrives. But there are a lot of other useful things to know. Which I can't think of offhand but I'm faily sure I would remem ber in real life .

nudemetalz
6th February 2007, 21:10
Good thread this.
I have an up to date ticket, being that I work at Welly City Council Infrastructure, it's compulsory for us to do these. They are the 24 month one, fairly basic but do the job.

Chisanga
6th February 2007, 21:14
. I know with the 250 rides Maverick has a current First Aid ticket.........but who would step up if Maverick was the one to take a fall? We all can't rely on mobile coverage to get assistance.

I know Donor is a volunteer Ambo and comes along on a lot of these rides. But I definately get your point and would hate to be in a position where I could help save a mates life but don't know what to do.

My First Aid cert expired about 3 years ago... if I think about it, it's scary how much I have forgotten since then.

pixc
6th February 2007, 21:18
Ive got my first aid cert' and I do a refresher every year. I was in St Johns as a kid and Surf life saving Club. I excelled in the improvisation stuff in competions. I havent had to deal with an emergency yet. As Jane public, I dont think all the training in the world can prepare you for when you happen apon an accident.

Let me rephrase that.

I dont think the training will prepare you for the shock that might effect you.

I think its very much a pyschologic thing. You either have it or you dont. If you happen to 'have it' then the training would be most useful. If you dont, chances are, you drive on not wanting to deal with it. I dont know if I have it or not. I very much like to think I do, but you never know until you are put in that position.

Squeak the Rat
6th February 2007, 21:18
Seems to me that every 16 months they change the number of compressions vs breaths.....

Theres only so much a pleb like me can do, like CPR, stop bleeding, tornykays only if really bad etc. But yeah I'd do a refresher if it its aimed at people with an IQ higher than a garden slug, which unfortunately most of them don't seem to be (IMHGO).

Clivoris
6th February 2007, 21:25
I'd be keen to do something MVA trauma related. Since the recent spate of bike fatalities on group rides I've found myself trying to remember landmarks when I'm riding with others, in case I need to ring emergency services. This can be a distraction, and what if there isn't any cell coverage?

Jeff Sichoe
6th February 2007, 21:46
Damnit, WebMarshal won't let me post my whole story in one go :( ... will edit when I get home...

Drew
6th February 2007, 21:53
What ya do is...

As you ride past, point, and say, "That's gonna hurt tomorrow." Hehehehehe

nickchilli
6th February 2007, 22:06
heres the basics for youz fulluz ...im a volly for st johns in the manawatu

safety- check your safe to approach (your own saftey)

response- are they alive/ responding /unconcious

check there airways, tongue, objects etc

breathing ,are they breathing on there own

circulation do they have a pulse

get someone to phone for help 111

simpiler way to remember is
S-afety
A-irways
B-reathing
C-irculation

s,a,b,c
cpr is 30 chest compressions and 2 breaths

ABOVE ALL DONT PANIC ! if your unsure phone 111 immediately

ride safe peeps:sunny: :sunny:

pixc
6th February 2007, 22:35
I was taught that on first approach to an accident, to check people that arent screaming/yelling/moaning first. As in, check the quiet/silent ones first. At least you know the screaming/yelling/moaning ones are breathing.

Gremlin
6th February 2007, 23:01
As in, check the quiet/silent ones first.
You can miss people like that, I was first on scene of car v tree. I thought there were 3 people in car, but couldn't nail the source of a weird wail... took a few minutes to figure it out, and luckily while I was still on the phone. All the wreckage hid the second kid.

With cars, its more problematic trying to get to the people, and when I asked, I was advised to not move people... so its more getting the emergency services as fast as poss, warning traffic, being with the people etc...

I wouldn't mind doing an evening like that which was done a while back...

I found the worst part of a whole incident was later on, when the whole thing was reduced to the bestest bits... :mellow:

hurricane_r
6th February 2007, 23:32
bottle of wiskey - hammer , thats all a real man needs

Lou Girardin
7th February 2007, 05:53
Remember your ABC.
Airway
Breathing
Circulation
Once you have those OK, then you worry about injuries.

Crisis management
7th February 2007, 08:58
Its good to update your first aid skills but don't forget to be able to contact assistance.
Is your cell phone within coverage?
How do you describe where you are acurately enough to get the closest response?
No matter how up to date your first aid, if you can't get fast back up it can be a bit pointless.

Run thru a scenario of how you might respond coming across some slide marks on the side of the road with a steep bush clad bank? (thanks GiJoe)

You need to deal with locating the victim(s), assesing their condition, getting assistance, treating injuries, managing traffic, comforting victims, comforting friends, and a few other odds & sods.

Have a good think about it and remember to stop and think before doing anything.

Trudes
7th February 2007, 10:05
I have to have a current first aid certificate for work, so do a refresher every two years. Have only seriously needed it once (thank goodness), but I hope that if an emergency arose that I had to deal with, I would pull it together and be able to help, (but please don't count on it!)

pixc
7th February 2007, 10:41
remember to stop and think before doing anything.

Ive heard stories of people being first on scene, administoring first aid..only to be hit by the next vehicle coming along.

YLWDUC
7th February 2007, 11:33
Even with car accidents thats a real problem. Safety (ie yours) should always be the first thing on your mind. Accidents are far more likely to happen on corners than on straight stretches, so buddies B and C have to go and warn traffic at either side of the accident, while buddy D is on the phone to the triple ones. (How many people should you go riding with?)