PDA

View Full Version : First two-up tour ... OK, day trip

90s
6th February 2007, 21:59
Did our first ever two-up day trip today, up to the 'new' lighthouse up the top of the Awhitu peninsula. A 280k round trip, first attempt for two-up touring and use of the new Oxford 1st-time tankbag.

Great roads on the peninsula - great seal and in good condition. Plenty of twists and dips plus several long straights. Not what I was expecting at all (I thought it would all be little farm roads). Very little traffic even on a good weather Waitangi day. Lighthouse is a reconstruction/rebuild (about 50:50) of the original 1870s lighthouse and was reopened in November 2006.

Bike was very comfortable and pillion was very happy after having done the RRRS course to try this trip and enjoyed it. I didn't feel her on the back at all nearly all the time, and on the SH1 on the return she even fell asleep for a few mins! Only issue was it was VERY windy today on the heads with some strong gusts. The strudy GSX was moved around very little but I could really feel the wind two-up. The teapot returned 46mpg which I thought was pretty good.

Oxford tank bag was excellent taking two drink bottles in the sides plus large picnic and camera. Was little worried about the camera and magnets so kept the magnets away from the camera as much as I could. Seemed OK.

Anyway, we plan to do more tours and camping tours after this (luckily) dry-run.