PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Canaries (canarlee)

canarlee
7th February 2007, 04:28
i am planning to move over to the south of new zealand in april/may time, not sure where abouts yet tho, i was wondering what the average monthly rent is over there?

also i have an english driving/bike licence, can i use that there or would i have to take another test?

also anyone recomend an area to move to, i am looking into buying a bar?

thanks in advance, lee

Beemer
7th February 2007, 08:17
You may have to narrow down your intended destination a little for some serious answers as the rents in different parts of New Zealand very greatly. I've heard horror stories of very high rents in touristy parts like Queenstown, and of course you'd pay much lower rentals in places like Westport or Bluff. Any idea of where you'd like to live - as in, by the sea, near mountains for skiing, by a river, big city, small town, etc? What type of bar are you wanting to open? Upmarket, sports, etc?

Rents are very hard to pinpoint accurately as even in the same town or city it can vary, and of course it depends on whether you are renting a large house or a small flat. In 1989 I was renting a three bedroomed house near the sea in Eastbourne (Lower Hutt - North Island) and paying $220 per week. In 2000 I was renting a three bedroomed house in Levin and paying $165 per week. From what I can gather looking at the newspapers, weekly rents in places like Wellington range anywhere from a couple of hundred up to $1000 per week.

You can drive for 12 months with your English licence, but before the 12 months is up, you have to apply for a NZ one - check out this site for more details on that - http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/56.html

Have you been to NZ before? If not, it may be a good idea to travel around the whole country for a month or two, getting a feel for different places. The South Island is beautiful but it does have fewer people than the North, and if you want to run a successful bar and make a profit, you will need to take all this into consideration when choosing a location. But I bet you will get a lot of patronage from KB members when it opens!

T.I.E
7th February 2007, 08:26
whats the dress code gonna be like?:Punk:

Thomas
7th February 2007, 08:44
A bar you say? Hey, you could locate it anywhere and they will come...!

canarlee
7th February 2007, 08:59
beemer, ta for that. will have a think and get back to you!!!

lee

canarlee
7th February 2007, 09:00
dress code? nothing...........ladies only see;)

am joking lol

lee

canarlee
7th February 2007, 09:17
right i am back for 5 mins, beemer thanks again for the respnse! esp the license bit ect.

type of bar? was thinking like a modern but biker bar, with memorabilia for racing, posters, autographed photos, showing as much bike videos and racing as poss ect.

will have to do as you suggested and do a tour of both the main islands and have a look round, am ideally looking for a bar with an apartment on top so no need for traveling but still have a bike for days out(thats how i like to see places see)

and yes i have had a look at bikes for sale and am quite impressed as to what i found, i am easily impressed having lived on a very small island for 15 years lol

lee

canarlee
7th February 2007, 09:18
as a thought, if anyone could post a link to a good overall map of the islands it would be appreciated (im a numpty on pooters see:D)

Beemer
7th February 2007, 14:44
I just googled 'maps of New Zealand' and it came up with lots of sites - try these for starters:

http://www.tourism.net.nz/new-zealand-maps.html

http://www.travelplanner.co.nz/maps/

http://www.nztourmaps.com/

canarlee
10th February 2007, 04:24
thanks for the links to the maps!

have been looking through them and seen a place called Napier, any veiws on this area? in my opinion it looks like an ideal place to buy/set up a bar, i will keep looking though.

cheers, lee

canarlee
10th February 2007, 04:39
oh and whoever edited the title of the thread it is "canaries" not canarys, canary is singular and canaries is plural

sorry lol

lee

Jantar
10th February 2007, 05:02
New Zealanders, in general, have a lot of experience in visiting bars. I would definitely support the idea of having a good look around before comitting to a particular area. Do want a bar that will have mainly local support, or will it be more for travellers and tourists?

Many places in NZ with a small permanent population have a large tourist client base, while many of the cities have a transient population. There are the university cities that have large student bars, and many rural areas where a single bar can have a complete monopoly.

So come over, have a look around, then decide.

canarlee
10th February 2007, 07:29
jantar, good advice and that is what i am going to do, i was just looking at places i have found via google.com.

cheers, lee

avgas
10th February 2007, 07:34
right i am back for 5 mins, beemer thanks again for the respnse! esp the license bit ect.
type of bar? was thinking like a modern but biker bar, with memorabilia for racing, posters, autographed photos, showing as much bike videos and racing as poss ect.
will have to do as you suggested and do a tour of both the main islands and have a look round, am ideally looking for a bar with an apartment on top so no need for traveling but still have a bike for days out(thats how i like to see places see)
and yes i have had a look at bikes for sale and am quite impressed as to what i found, i am easily impressed having lived on a very small island for 15 years lol
lee

We need the equivelent to the ace cafe! Any thoughts guys as to where it should go?

u4ea
10th February 2007, 07:43
Napier(Hawkes Bay) is a beautiful city...great weather on the east coast of the North Island.Wine and fruit growers there......

oh and welcome to kb !!!!

canarlee
10th February 2007, 07:46
avgas, now that is an idea!!!

cheers, lee

MSTRS
10th February 2007, 09:52
There are heaps of bikers here in Napier. We like it (and the weather). There are no bars of the type you mention here, so I would imagine that it could prove to be something of a Mecca. Napier is something of a crossroads between the whole of the East coast and the central NI (Taupo).

canarlee
11th February 2007, 13:11
hello MSTRS! you say that there are loads of bikers there in Napier, BUT would they go to a new place just for a beer/coffee/breakfast?

that is what i am trying to find out! is there any dedicated biker bars in New Zealand?

if so i do NOT want to tread on any toes!!!!

call me paranoind, but i prefer lee;)

cheers, lee

canarlee
21st February 2007, 02:41
just a thought, does anyone know of a reliable solicitor that can help me with paperwork? (for bar and immigration) being a fellow biker i thought that some of you would be happy to help me;)

ceebie13
21st February 2007, 13:20
just a thought, does anyone know of a reliable solicitor that can help me with paperwork? (for bar and immigration) being a fellow biker i thought that some of you would be happy to help me;)

What you need is a BBB ... A Biking, Beer drinking, Barrister
or even BBBB ... A Biking, Beer drinking, Barrister, Bird.
or dare I say it, a BBBBB ... A Biking, Beer drinking, Barrister, Bird , Buddy

Glad I could help. :yes:

Guitana
21st February 2007, 13:41
hello MSTRS! you say that there are loads of bikers there in Napier, BUT would they go to a new place just for a beer/coffee/breakfast?

that is what i am trying to find out! is there any dedicated biker bars in New Zealand?

call me paranoind, but i prefer lee;)

cheers, lee

Pardon me for asking but why would you want to move from Lanzorote to the South Island??????
Have you ever been to the Antarctic???
I would suggest you come over here do the north and south island with some of our members get pissed in every pub have a few fights then make a decision as to where you want to settle!!!
A pub is a good investment in NZ and as far as biker bars go there may be a gay bikers club in Auckland!!
What say you Aucklanders?????

canarlee
22nd February 2007, 01:56
guitana, i did say later in this thread that i had changed my plans to go to the north island instead after some pointers and research suggested that would be a better place to invest.

getting pissed in pubs is what i tend to do best, the fighting bit? i seem to be allergic to that coz it brings me out in cuts and bruises;)

as for gay biker bars............erm.............no thanks mate!!!

canarlee
22nd February 2007, 01:59
What you need is a BBB ... A Biking, Beer drinking, Barrister
or even BBBB ... A Biking, Beer drinking, Barrister, Bird.
or dare I say it, a BBBBB ... A Biking, Beer drinking, Barrister, Bird , Buddy

Glad I could help. :yes:

ceebie13, i like your style of thinking dood :apint:

MSTRS
22nd February 2007, 08:06

Only one I know of is Boots'N'Braces in Woodville. There's always bikers in there.
Woodville is a small (and I mean small) town east of Palmerston North and is a crossroads between Manawatu, Hawkes Bay and Wairarapa regions.

canarlee
23rd February 2007, 03:10
so from what you are saying MSTRS i wont be treading on toes then? if so then that is good

canarlee
23rd February 2007, 03:13
i have just looked at prices for my ticket, £400!!! i think that is a very good price, silly question time, what is that in NZ dollars?

i will be there soon:Punk: :rockon:

cheers, lee

Deviant Esq
23rd February 2007, 03:26
Approximately $NZ1200, exchange rate dependant. :)

www.google.com (http://www.google.com) :nya:

Ooo, 900 'blade. Nice. Pics?

canarlee
24th February 2007, 09:07
ok smart arse i forgot about google!!! i told you all im a numpty on pooters!!!

and as for pics? see my second sentence above:p