PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Virago 250

fjones
7th February 2007, 07:22
Just wanted some opinions on this bike? Know nothing about it....

TerminalAddict
7th February 2007, 07:28
best 250 cruiser money can buy .... buy far

in my opinion anyway :)

I owned one for a year before upgrading

Chisanga
7th February 2007, 07:31
You might want to PM Crashe ... she has a nice one and can tell you all about it :)

Scorpygirl
7th February 2007, 07:39
Hi there and welcome to KB. Yes, I am sure Crashe will give you a wonderful run down on the Virago. I have one and just love it now after overcoming my fear of riding. I did 135 kms yesterday including motorway riding. It is a lovely bike to ride and quite forgiving for a learner. It is especially good for the vertically challenged of the riding community - this is the only bike where I can get my feet flat on the ground. :scooter:

They also hold their price really well. In fact Yamaha stopped making them in 2001 and there was such a fuss that they started making them again!! :yes:

All the best.

ManDownUnder
7th February 2007, 07:44
To be honest I've never heard a bad word said about them by anyone that owns one.

SlashWylde
7th February 2007, 11:48
Crashe, where are you?

But seriously...my first bike was a Virago 250. Was a 1993 model with 18,000kms on the clock, bought for $3700 from a bike shop here in Auckland. I put a further 10,000kms on it and the only problem I had with it was a broken throttle cable which was simply too old and was replaced under guarantee by the shop I bought it from.

A very good bike to learn on and a pleasure to ride. I took it round the East Cape a few summers ago and she did me proud.

If you are into cruisers I'd definitely recommend this model in the 250cc range

sunhuntin
7th February 2007, 12:29
i bought one late last year...traded my old gn for it.

took the virago from wanganui to invercargill and back. sat at a comfy 80-110k, and after 11 days, my only complaint was a bloody sore tailbone. but thatd happen on any bike!

lovely bike, gets lots of compliments and has been mistaken for a harley not long ago. back tyre needs replacing soon, and im thinkin of whitewalls for both to compliment the classic look of the bike.

im sure crashe will be along soon!

MSTRS
7th February 2007, 12:32
Virago, hmmm? Love'm or hate'm, there's lots of happy owners out there. Definitely a cruiser only. If you want *some* power and good handling, then I'd say no....

MSTRS
7th February 2007, 12:38
It is especially good for the vertically challenged of the riding community - this is the only bike where I can get my feet flat on the ground.

Yes, but not the only bike that'll do that for you - the Kawasaki EL250 has a seat height of 680/690mm

naughtygirl
7th February 2007, 12:51
Great little bikes and cheap for only $6995 new or for a couple of grand more you can upgrade to the Vstar 250 $10,295 or even the New ugly SX-4 Scorpio for $3,799 :)
I work in a yamaha shop :) haha

If ya wona contact somone about buying one, contact us on 06 7579747 and ask for Dave or Warrick :D

http://www.mach1yamaha.co.nz

crashe
7th February 2007, 13:19
Here I am.:yes:

Ok so what would you like to know about them..........?

I will highly recommend a VIRAGO:love: to anyone who is starting out and who loves cruisers.

They keep on going and going... and I can vouch for that, 97,600kms later.

Cheap to run........ 9.5 litre tank...... 200odd kms before you hit reserve.

Great around the city to commute on..... zip zap in amongest the traffic.
Great out on the country roads as well.......

I just did over 1550 kms from Ak to Upper Hutt back via Hastings on about $84.
Oh and the seat was comfy as..... did NOT get a sore butt either...

Sunhuntin, just hasnt worn her seat in yet :whistle:

They are ideal if you are short thou..... but in saying that I have seen some tall dudes riding them as well.

My bike is a 1997 model and the only black and white one in Auckland.
There is another B & W one in Tauranga.

Most are cream and red, Maroon and black, and now they are making them all black again.
Years ago they only came in black only.
cream and teal is a import from Japan.

Parts either come in from Yamaha in Mt Wellington, Aussie or Japan, depending on what part you need.

If you maintain them well, they will last a very long time.

sunhuntin
7th February 2007, 19:10
I just did over 1550 kms from Ak to Upper Hutt back via Hastings on about $84.
Oh and the seat was comfy as..... did NOT get a sore butt either...

Sunhuntin, just hasnt worn her seat in yet :whistle:

shes a 98...how much more broken in can a seat get? i think the seat just hasnt broken in my butt yet. :yes: i cant remember how much i spent on gas for my south island trip.

yep...mines peaches and cream, got about 43,000k on her [had 38,000 when i bought] i havent had any mechanical problems at all. i would suggest carrying a tool kit though, cos i forgot to turn the key off [couldnt find neutral, so used the kill switch] that drained the battery, and when the guy showed up to jump start me, he had no tools to get the seat off.

crashe
7th February 2007, 19:14
i would suggest carrying a tool kit though, cos i forgot to turn the key off [couldnt find neutral, so used the kill switch] that drained the battery, and when the guy showed up to jump start me, he had no tools to get the seat off.

The bike comes with a tool kit........ behind the panel on the side of bike (just below the seat) ... it pops off..... careful when removing it... as there is a technique to getting it up and off. Think is on the right hand side.
(read the owners handbook for how to get it off)

sunhuntin
7th February 2007, 19:48
The bike comes with a tool kit........ behind the panel on the side of bike (just below the seat) ... it pops off..... careful when removing it... as there is a technique to getting it up and off. Think is on the right hand side.
(read the owners handbook for how to get it off)

heh...i dont think i got a toolkit. i know i didnt get a book. lucky i kept the kit from the gn lmfao. shes had a lot of owners [im like her 8th] so no doubt the kit is long gone.

Maha
7th February 2007, 19:52
I have heard that you get a wet arse if you ride them in the rain so take a blow dryer cos not every place you stop has one......:Punk:

crashe
7th February 2007, 19:56
I have heard that you get a wet arse if you ride them in the rain so take a blow dryer cos not every place you stop has one......:Punk:

well guess who now has a brand new seat cover on their bikeseat........ and guess who aint gonna need to borrow a hairdryer no more..........:scooter:

Maha
7th February 2007, 20:05
well guess who now has a brand new seat cover on their bikeseat........ and guess who aint gonna need to borrow a hairdryer no more..........:scooter:

I guess..........you!!.....am i right? do i get a prize?....:second:
Wondered if you would pick up on that.....:innocent:

crashe
7th February 2007, 20:08
I guess..........you!!.....am i right? do i get a prize?....:second:
Wondered if you would pick up on that.....:innocent:

yep you got it right.......

and Your prize......... is ............. your new wife.