PDA

View Full Version : No go Marauder

Hitcher
7th February 2007, 17:35
I was going to take Mrs H's bike out on the Wednesday night ride tonight, but it wouldn't go.

I appears to have heaps of battery, but no starter, headlight, or turn indicators. It does have all its panel lights, tail light and hazards working.

I checked the fuses, but couldn't see anything untoward there. Most odd.

Sounds like a job for WMC, unless anybody has any bright ideas between now and tomorrow morning...

merv
7th February 2007, 17:50
Ah hope this isn't stating the obvious but did you check the usual culprits like the chicken switch hasn't been bumped off, it isn't in gear with the stand down and any other peculiarities of safety features it may have?

Hitcher
7th February 2007, 17:56
Nope, kill switch is in the right place (first thing I checked). Green neutral light burning bright. And, as it's a Suzuki, I even remembered to squeeze the clutch lever.

tl_tub
7th February 2007, 18:03
Other thing to check is for corrosion between the battery terminals and the connectors. Sometimes it lets enough power through for the instruments but no more

Motu
7th February 2007, 18:29
Tiz a' flat battry.

Hitcher
7th February 2007, 18:45
Tiz a' flat battry.

Not completely flat though. Is there some sort of voltage regulator thingy that stops headlights burning wanly? If so, is it crash-startable or should I just leave it for the hexperts?

cowpoos
7th February 2007, 19:13
I was going to take Mrs H's bike out on the Wednesday night ride tonight, but it wouldn't go.

I appears to have heaps of battery, but no starter, headlight, or turn indicators. It does have all its panel lights, tail light and hazards working.

I checked the fuses, but couldn't see anything untoward there. Most odd.

Sounds like a job for WMC, unless anybody has any bright ideas between now and tomorrow morning...
what you need is a fair trade in...and a new boulivard m109r [or maybe a lil smaller] for the fair ladie for valintines day...flick me a PM and I'll sort it chief ;)

shafty
7th February 2007, 19:21
Praise me for refraining from the usual "check the name on the gas tank" jibe - I recently had a failure of a brand new battery in the brand new ST, - there was enough juice to light things up, but no winding power.

Suggest you give the battery a charge overnight, and try again. I just disconnect the battery in situ and whip the acid plugs out to trickle charge it, easy as.

Good luck

Motu
7th February 2007, 19:22
Not completely flat though. Is there some sort of voltage regulator thingy that stops headlights burning wanly? If so, is it crash-startable or should I just leave it for the hexperts?

You obviously have made the common assumption that electrical problems will make perfect sense.There is not enough for the starter,so it doesn't even go there.....and somewhere a headlight still burns.....

Hitcher
7th February 2007, 19:23
what you need is a fair trade in...and a new boulivard m109r [or maybe a lil smaller] for the fair ladie for valintines day...flick me a PM and I'll sort it chief ;)

I don't think an M109R comes in a "Lite" pink version...

Ixion
7th February 2007, 19:27
Do you have an AVO meter? If so check power at the kill switch. Dunno if yours is make or earth type, but if its make there should be power there. If not , trace back. If there is, it'll be one of the stupid safety cutouts.

davereid
7th February 2007, 19:52
The hazard lights go but the indicators don't ? Sheesh !

Ixion
7th February 2007, 19:54
Could be. Hazards may be supplied through unswitched supply (not controlled by ignition switch). Indicators will be through ignition.

surfer
8th February 2007, 10:07
If you have done all the other stuff previously in this post the only thing I can think of is if you have replaced a blown fuse. If this is so it may be that the contact in the fuse holder has melted into the plastic inside the fuse holder. You will need to replace the fuse holder.

Failing this you may have to face that this is your missus' bike and maybe it just doesn't like you.:gob:

Flyingpony
8th February 2007, 12:37
Did you try the kick starter?
Regardless of battery power level, it should always start on kick start. If it doesn't, then there's definitely a problem.

If it doesn't have a kick start, did you try crash starting it?

As for the clutch being pulled in: that only applies if the bike is still in gear so it won't start hoping down the road on it's own accord. Side stand position and weather it's in gear or not shouldn't matter.

k14
8th February 2007, 12:40
Did you try the kick starter?
Regardless of battery power level, it should always start on kick start. If it doesn't, then there's definitely a problem.
Lol, obviously you've never ridden a bike bigger than your fxr. Thats about the most modern road bike with a kick start. :rofl:

MSTRS
8th February 2007, 12:55
As for the clutch being pulled in: that only applies if the bike is still in gear so it won't start hoping down the road on it's own accord. Side stand position and weather it's in gear or not shouldn't matter.

Eh! Wrong!

davereid
8th February 2007, 13:11
Get someone elses screw driver, and with the bike all set up to start, ie stand up, key on etc etc short the starter solenoid out. See if it cranks then.

Ixion
8th February 2007, 13:38
Do not do this if you have a weak heart or are of a nervous disposition. And wear old trousers.

cowpoos
8th February 2007, 15:26
I don't think an M109R comes in a "Lite" pink version...
if you want a pink one fella...I'll get you a pink one!! ;)

Flyingpony
8th February 2007, 22:42
My only other thought would be a lose connection somewhere, water in electrics or maybe part of the wiring loom is shorting into the chassis.

Definitely sounds like a job for the bike shop unless you like the idea of playing hunt the needle in the hay stack all weekend.

Did the shop find the problem for you or are you booked in for next week?

Hitcher
9th February 2007, 16:34
Failed sidestand relay confirmed. New part on order from Suzuki Japan.

Two-up riding now required.

Madness
9th February 2007, 16:53
An Auto Electrician should be able to rectify the problem whilst waiting for the orient express, even if just a temporary bypass??

It's always the little things.. Eh Dover?