PDA

View Full Version : East Cape travel

MaxB
7th February 2007, 23:58
Just to let everyone know there seems to be even more roadworks on the East Cape to Gisborne side of SH35. Not just the ones that have been there for years.

I was coming off the Cape on Monday evening and there are some fresh diggings around Tikitiki on the hills and a recent fresh metal part near Te Puia Springs. One patch was not clearly signposted so watch out.

I ended up doing 1300kms in 17 hours and was feeling it at work today but hell I got to ride some of my favourite roads with very little traffic.

Ride safe

MaxB

Juud
8th February 2007, 09:05
I ended up doing 1300kms in 17 hours and was feeling it at work today

Wow, we rode back from Gisborne to Welly on Tuesday, 8 hours incl stops. I was fine on the ride but it's when you get off the bike and sit down. :thud:

We were looking at doing the East Cape but the forecast was crap so rode to Opotiki and back instead. How long does it take from Gisborne to Gisborne the long way round?

rustys
9th February 2007, 06:37
We were looking at doing the East Cape but the forecast was crap so rode to Opotiki and back instead. How long does it take from Gisborne to Gisborne the long way round?

Gisborne to Gisborne via East Cape allow 10 - 11hrs,approx 470 klms allowing for some stops, and yes the roads north of here a'rnt much chop at the moment. Waioeka gorge road is in not bad condition at the moment, and the road from Opotiki to the cape is generally always in pretty good nick.

Juud
9th February 2007, 07:17
Thanks for that! 10-11 hrs, the longest I've ever ridden a bike is 9 hours :wacko: that was more than enough, everything was numb.

ceebie13
9th February 2007, 07:35
How long does it take from Gisborne to Gisborne the long way round?
Wow! Did Ewen and Charlie do that run...must have missed that episode!

Yeah, we did Gisborne to Whakatane (7hrs) anticlockwise round the Cape in that week of dreadful weather about a month ago. Most demoralising. I'm told that the Cape is very beautiful but we saw none of it...too foggy. And Hicks Bay seemed like the back of beyond in that weather... And a grumpy old bloke at the one petrol pump didn't help either! Will have to go back and review my opinion. Nice bike pic by the way Juud.

robertydog
9th February 2007, 07:52
Great stuff.

I did Whitianga to Gisborne via east cape and it was just awesome. Although i was i feeling it. Very nice part of the country.

Juud
9th February 2007, 08:40
Wow! Did Ewen and Charlie do that run...must have missed that episode!

Did you watch Race to Dakar by Charlie B as well? Another great adventure! I won't spoil anything but it's a must see.

O/T On the map the loop looked great for a nice day trip (thinking 7-8 hrs:Oops:), glad we didn't do it. It'll stay on the list of most wanted rides though!

ceebie13
9th February 2007, 08:45
Did you watch Race to Dakar by Charlie B as well? Another great adventure! I won't spoil anything but it's a must see.

Nope. Have yet to feast my eyes on it, Juud. Is it on DVD?

Juud
9th February 2007, 09:55
Yes, we got it yesterday from Whitcouls in Welly. Apparently they're going fast! Must warn you though (if you want to watch it with the younger ones), there's a lot of f-ing in it. Like every second word, lol!:whocares:

Edit: WTF, 30 posts and I'm a scooterboy?

Bloody Mad Woman (BMW)
9th February 2007, 10:18
I still think the East Cape is the best.

Trudes
9th February 2007, 10:35
Same BMW, (then again, it is my old stomping ground).:rockon:

ceebie13
9th February 2007, 10:58
Same BMW, (then again, it is my old stomping ground).:rockon:

Well, you'd know ... being an old stomper eh, Trudi?? :shutup:

ceebie13
9th February 2007, 11:02
Must warn you though (if you want to watch it with the younger ones), there's a lot of f-ing in it. Like every second word, lol!:whocares:

I don't think we'll have that problem, Juud. Our younger ones are in their twenties
and haven't the slightest interest in anything to do with bikes. Not only that, but they live in London so we can watch it with blissful uninterupted interest.

Oh look...I've made 500. What will that make me I wonder? Must be time for a lunchtime beer to celebrate. Hic!

MaxB
9th February 2007, 13:56
Both the Opotiki to Te Araroa and Te Araroa to Gisborne legs took me just on 2 and a bit hours each. It was the Monday evening and the roads were deserted. Like 3 cars in 160kms. During the day the travel time could be double that. Plus there's heaps to stop and see.

I was going out to the cape to see the sunset and meant to get a fill using my fuelcard. The reason for the ks was that the plan fell apart when I arranged to get fuel half way round SH35. When I got to the pump it was locked and the key wasn't where it was supposed to be. I pushed on to Gisborne in the rain on a very light throttle and made it with 2.5 litres to spare. After a feed I made the (wrong) decision to take the Napier road instead of the Waioeka Gorge. It looked stormy over the gorge and fine down to Wairoa. The weather caught up with me and I got soaked anyway. Got to Napier at 1.30am. Then on to Taupo-Tirau-Matamata and home just after dawn.

pritch
12th February 2007, 19:12
I was going out to the cape to see the sunset .

Eh? I have a long term plan to go to East Cape to watch the sunrise.
Then go back to bed.:yawn:

Surely one of us would be in the wrong place?

MaxB
12th February 2007, 23:32
True, that would be me. My mistake.
I should have said 'to be there at dusk'

Years ago I did an East Cape (sunrise) to Port Waikato (sunset) run. Pretty spectacular it was too.

BarBender
13th February 2007, 19:52
The black top to the East Cape is home for me.

Sounds like you had a great ride Max. Shame about the rain catching up. Its great riding under the stars in that part of the country.

I've done Whakatane to Whakatane round the cape to Gizzy and up through the Gorge at midnight..but to push on through to the Big Smoke is legendary. :2thumbsup