PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki V-twin cruisers?

Strider
8th February 2007, 08:30
I am looking to getting back onto a bike after 15 plus years and looking at a
"SUZUKI VZ800 MARAUDER OR A "SUZUKI VS800 INTRUDER"

Any views you can give me on either of these bike or other crusiers would be great. My budget is limited to 6 to 8 grand max.

imdying
8th February 2007, 09:48
Probably just what you're looking for. They're weren't particularly popular, but loved by those that had them. iirc the VS800 was used by a hire bike company here in NZ, so check the number of kms.

Pumba
8th February 2007, 09:52
My father had the MARAUDER. It wont do anything outstanding in terms of prefomance but was a good allround cruiser

outlawtorn
8th February 2007, 12:33
the marauder is a good bike, they are quite dependable too, I have the VL800 which is a beautiful bike, if you get your hands on a Volusia then you are lucky, those who buy tend to keep them for a very long time.

Beemer
8th February 2007, 16:42
Mrs Hitcher rides an 800 Marauder, you could try sending Hitcher a PM and asking what she thinks of it. She seems to enjoy riding it and has had it a while so she must think it's okay.

Edbear
8th February 2007, 17:01
the marauder is a good bike, they are quite dependable too, I have the VL800 which is a beautiful bike, if you get your hands on a Volusia then you are lucky, those who buy tend to keep them for a very long time.

Wot he said!:yes:

Macktheknife
8th February 2007, 18:11
If you do a site search then you will find a thread on this very subject not too long ago with some very good info.
Personally I like the Intruder, owned 2 of them and loved them both.

gman
8th February 2007, 19:32
if your gona go vtwin dont go under 750cc bigger is better especially if youre going two up.

and if youre going two up check the passenger comfort level.ie big bims dont like little seats or low back rests.

i had an 86 vs750 suzuki.nice to tour on and used it everyday for work (60ks round trip) in any weather was great.

had to change the passenger seat and used a harley pillion seat.just bolted right up,looked good too. also extended the back rest by 150mm to give more support for her.also made it look more chopperish!!

ive still got the harley seat if any ones interested.auction n.o.87508583 on trade me.

good luck bike hunting

timorang
9th February 2007, 11:05
Some good advice above. I have owned two, a 750 and 1400. The 800 will be good to get back into it again. My only comment is that they are not a large bike in so far that if you are tall say 6ft plus the lil intruder will be too small ergonomically. If you are shorter in stature it will be perfect.

Hitcher
9th February 2007, 17:34
Mrs Hitcher rides an 800 Marauder

Mrs H has had two Marauders and loves them, as do I.

The biggest differences between the Intruder and Marauder are the size of the tank (the Intruder is the smaller) and spoked wheels on the Intruder.

I think that the Marauder has the comfier riding position.

gman
9th February 2007, 20:37
yo check out trade me auction 86282008 vs800 30 thou miles imac condition ,btw im 5ft9 and the intruder was comfy.could have done with some forward controls but crashed it before i could get them.also the parts have to come out of japan and indicators will run you $125 EACH!! new.but they look bloody great cleaned up an gleaming

cheers

SlashWylde
9th February 2007, 21:53
My vote would be for the Kawasaki 800 Vulcan, or it's latter day replacement the Vulcan 900.

The VN800 design has been around for 10 years and is a great handling and reliable machine.

The VN900 features an extra 100cc displacement in the engine, fuel injection, belt drive, floor boards and ovreall updated looks. A very tidy package compared to the Suzuki stable and the Honda Shadow 750.

Hitcher
10th February 2007, 12:55
Honda Shadow 750 = gutless. A good round-town cruiser, but forget long distances on the open road.

VN900 = spokes.

shafty
13th February 2007, 10:21
Hi Strider, - both bikes rate well, no lemons there. The main difference in my opinion is that the Intruder is shaft drive, with the Marauder chain drive.

I prefer the look of the Marauder, more up to date, but it's personal preference really. You may guess from my name that I personally dislike the sound of a chain mincing it's way round the sprocket, picking up dust'n'dirt while wearing it self out, screaming for another dirty lube job or adjustment, - but seriously, I'd suggest you ride both. Good points have been made about the variation in seating too.

Have fun

Shafty

SlashWylde
13th February 2007, 11:57
VN900 = spokes.

There are now some variants of the VN900 which have solid alloy front and rear wheels. I saw one at the Westpac Trust run on the weekend. They look great, haven't had a ride on one yet though.

Link (http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/detail.aspx?id=214)

Toaster
13th February 2007, 12:07
Good luck picking your new bike. I am really enjoying the change over from race-bikes to cruisers. I'm definitely a much happier rider.

Strider
22nd February 2007, 10:00
Thanks for the feed back all.
Will do some test rides and see what I feel best for me.

outlawtorn
22nd February 2007, 10:10
I am really enjoying the change over from race-bikes to cruisers. I'm definitely a much happier rider.

that quote should be etched in pixels and put somewhere prominent on this site!!!

Toaster
22nd February 2007, 17:38
that quote should be etched in pixels and put somewhere prominent on this site!!!

Sweet mate. Cheers! Bring on the cruisers.