PDA

View Full Version : Build a computer for us

Posh Tourer :P
8th February 2007, 10:16
Budget: Under $400

We need: It all and a windows disc, and office would be handy. Must run internet and word processing but I dont want vista. How about it? An LCD screen would be nice as we are low on space on the desk too...

Is it possible?

Maarten

ManDownUnder
8th February 2007, 10:27
Possible... yes...

Fast? No.
Reliable? No
Legal? No
Latest SW? No

Trademe is your friend. Buy an oldun' and start from there.... you might get most of the way there depending on your first purchase

Wasp
8th February 2007, 10:27
yes possible, but not at normal retail prices and no lcd or office

Street Gerbil
8th February 2007, 10:46
OpenOffice should solve an office problem. It reads and writes MSOffice files and can be absolutely legally downloaded for free.
Linux will allow you to slash $200 off the price of the rig too.

Ixion
8th February 2007, 10:51
Kbuntu, Open Office, Firefox for software. Total cost $0

You won't manage new hardware and LCD for $400.

ManDownUnder
8th February 2007, 10:58
Ping these guys (http://www.nzcomputersales.co.nz/) and see what they have. End of lines are good... ex rentals too. Cheap as chips, and they have tons in stock - more than the website lets on.

Ring 'em

I've bought a few bits and pieces off them. Reliable and good to deal with

Wasp
8th February 2007, 11:38
Ping these guys (http://www.nzcomputersales.co.nz/)
they sell our 2nd hand ex-lease laptops :)

ManDownUnder
8th February 2007, 11:44
they sell our 2nd hand ex-lease laptops :)
Hope they give you good cash for 'em.

I buy end of line stuff from them personally... every now and then. Cheap, new, just not as fast as the new ones.

Now Vista is here I expect a lot more <1GB RAM machines to suddenly appear...

GR81
8th February 2007, 11:45
you don't want much do you?

xwhatsit
8th February 2007, 12:17

We need: It all and a windows disc, and office would be handy. Must run internet and word processing but I dont want vista. How about it? An LCD screen would be nice as we are low on space on the desk too...

Is it possible?

Maarten

I'm not sure the LCD monitor would be possible. Most 17" LCD monitors are around the $300 mark. 15" ones aren't that much cheaper, and are in some cases bizarrely more expensive because of low demand, so there's not much stock out there.

Can't you just pirate Windows/Office like every other student, lol? :D Or just use linux like the smart, cultured and discerning BMW rider you are. Don't listen to Ixion, he talks stuff and nonsense -- get Ubuntu, not Kubuntu. KDE is a dog.

Lias
8th February 2007, 14:52
Ping these guys (http://www.nzcomputersales.co.nz/) and see what they have. End of lines are good... ex rentals too. Cheap as chips, and they have tons in stock - more than the website lets on.

Ring 'em

I've bought a few bits and pieces off them. Reliable and good to deal with

I seriously do not like that company. YMMV

Posh Tourer :P
8th February 2007, 14:55
Had a look at those links and they dont seem to have anything right at the moment... Thanks for replying - I know I'm being ambitious, but $300 for an LCD screen???? Surely they get cheaper than that!!! I'll look around... How risky is it to buy LCD second hand?? And what are the issues?

Maarten

GR81
8th February 2007, 15:01
there were some philips 15" LCDs for $180 on tardme the other day.

Ixion
8th February 2007, 15:06
. Don't listen to Ixion, he talks stuff and nonsense -- get Ubuntu, not Kubuntu. KDE is a dog.

Well, Ubuntu is better. But Kubuntu is considered more "windows like" (and thus, by definition, closer to said dog), and therefore less frightening to those accustomed to Windows.

ResidentAngel
8th February 2007, 16:14
Well, Ubuntu is better. But Kubuntu is considered more "windows like" (and thus, by definition, closer to said dog), and therefore less frightening to those accustomed to Windows.

Even closer to Windows, and more reliable for digital content creation (aka audio, graphics and movies) is Studio 64 (http://www.64Studio.com). Uses Gnome by default, and Abiword, but like all Debian linux versions (which Ubuntu and Kubuntu also are) is very easy to add programs like Open Office.

Uses the Synaptic Package Manager, which is extremely easy to use, and configures and installs software automatically once you've set up the repositories (look online for Debian Mirrors).

Also, like most linux, is totally free.

xwhatsit
8th February 2007, 16:26
Had a look at those links and they dont seem to have anything right at the moment... Thanks for replying - I know I'm being ambitious, but $300 for an LCD screen???? Surely they get cheaper than that!!! I'll look around... How risky is it to buy LCD second hand?? And what are the issues?

Maarten

I just used www.pricespy.co.nz and had a wee look around at 17" prices. Pricespy is normally pretty accurate. Sure you must already have a monitor anyway? Anyway, buying one second-hand is usually fine, just look out for dead pixels and bright spots in the backlight (the bright spots don't normally mean anything is wrong, it's just slightly distracting). Dead pixels shit me like nothing else, and often mean there's more on the way. You could get a 15" as well, if you could pick up one cheap on Trademe (although I'd be wary), but I can't see somebody wanting to stick with a 15" for very long in a desktop.

There's nothing wrong with CRTs -- gamers swear by them because of the response time and low lag, and they're far better for watching video on than LCDs. The only issue with them is the space, and of course if you get some ancient piece of crap then flicker might be hard on your eyes, but >= 75Hz is OK.

$400 is doable, especially so if you already have an old monitor, keyboard, mouse etc lying around. Then you can upgrade those components as you go. It's much more of a pain in the arse (and a waste of money) to buy a cheap CPU to save money and put in a faster one later. Peripherals are easy.

jrandom
8th February 2007, 16:44
I had a couple of old computers, but I shot them. It was great fun.

Sorry dude.

And yeah, $400 should be eminently doable. Just stick with a CRT.

scracha
8th February 2007, 22:22
Is it possible?
Maarten

For a kiwi biker I can you you an ex lease Pentium 4 around 2Ghz running XP Pro (COA) with 17" CRT, keyboard and optical mouse + 3 months RTB warranty for that money. All setup with openoffice & Avast home too. Add another 15 bucks for a modem if you're on dialup.

LCD screen...not a chance (legally) IMHO. I can sometimes get the 15" ones for 100 bucks but I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Stick with the CRT if you're going second hand.

If you are going for a new LCD then you're as well buying a new PC from DELL (cue lots of Dell rants but they're doing decent machines with warranty, 19" lcd and on-site service for about 900 bucks).

If you're buying from NZCS then you'll probably have to install Windoze yourself. I think they're trade only too but I may be wrong.