PDA

View Full Version : Wet weather gear.

James Deuce
6th August 2004, 11:04
Best $25 bucks I ever spent is on a TUFFBAK XL parka that fits over my riding gear. Waterproof and windproof, it packs down to a 6"x6"x1" square that fits comfortably in the storage space of my seat hump. Kept me completely dry in pouring rain this morning and doesn't flap. The hood goes into a zip pouch in the collar which then rests up against the back of your helmet and stops water going down your neck. It is thin flexible PVC.

You can get them from farm supply stores like RD1 and Kienzley Agvet.

Hitcher
6th August 2004, 11:25
You can get them from farm supply stores like RD1 and Kienzley Agvet.
Not the sort of retail outlet one sees around these parts...

RD1 has a web site: www.rd1.com

MikeL
6th August 2004, 11:40
It is thin flexible PVC.

Not too thin, I hope. Sounds like the sort of thing I had (briefly) a couple of years ago. Cost $99 and lasted about 5 rides. Trouble with it was that putting it on (and taking it off) over a jacket required considerable contortions and put a lot of strain on the seams, so that it soon tore at the neck.
It did keep me dry while it lasted though.

James Deuce
6th August 2004, 11:48
Not too thin, I hope. Sounds like the sort of thing I had (briefly) a couple of years ago. Cost $99 and lasted about 5 rides. Trouble with it was that putting it on (and taking it off) over a jacket required considerable contortions and put a lot of strain on the seams, so that it soon tore at the neck.
It did keep me dry while it lasted though.

Seams are holding up well after 10 uses, and it I don't need to contort at all. The seams are all heat sealed on the reverse as well.

jrandom
6th August 2004, 11:50
That sounds wonderful.

Anyone have any idea where I might find a retailer in Auckland?

vifferman
6th August 2004, 11:53
It did keep me dry while it lasted though.Ah - that reminds me why I ditched my (cheap) set of lurid purple and green PVC wet-weather gear I bought at Doyles in Hamilton. It was a bitch getting them over leathers, especially when damp, and after a few rides, the plastic zip in the front blew out while I was riding it. Wife replaced it, then shortly afterwards they lost any residual waterproofing they had. They should have been waterproof nearly forever, but the taped seams untaped.

Eventually I decided they were dead, and bought a "100% waterproof " WFO suit from Holeshot for $99. It was the biggest they had, but was till a bit tight over leathers, and if there was even the vaguest threat of sunshine or above zero temperatures, the 100% waterproofness ensured I felt like a boil-in-the-bag chicken. Or maybe turkey would be more accurate. So I wore them no more than a few times, then bit the bullet and bought an all-season bike jacket. The legs have been well catered for by nylon/PVC overtrousers that roll up very small, are cut to go over leathers (high waist, long legs, generous fit) and fasten at the bottom. They're perfect. Almost as good as the pair of Line7 bike pants - the same as the MOT bike cops used to wear - that I had years ago. (Sadly, they were stolen when our house in HAmilton was burgled, and they don't seem to make 'em any more.)