PDA

View Full Version : Southern Cross road rally, April 07

RichardC
8th February 2007, 14:49
I thought I might do this ride..... Anyone who's done it before with helpful advice,suggestions,Routes etc all appreciated

Blackbird
8th February 2007, 17:00
Here you go: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=12630. This is the ride report which Jantar, Mangell6 and I wrote after the last one. The lunchtime check-ins make things interesting because it forces you to ride in the dark a fair bit and the south island can get a wee bit frosty at that time of the year:shutup:

Most enjoyable ride I've ever done, although it didn't always seem like it at the time:innocent:

I see you live in Raumati South. That's where I stayed with friends on the ride last year to get to Bluff - Rainbow Court.

Jantar
8th February 2007, 17:18
Yes, there a few of us on it this year. Maybe this thread is a good place for us all to check in.

Go Team KB. :yes:

NiggleC
9th February 2007, 06:13
I see your on a BMW too - if the bike has about 60000km on it get those final drive bearings checked before you leave. Don't ask me how i know this:shit:
Peoplehave done this ride on 250's and famously in 2003 or was it 05 an RG50.
Because it is a bit expensive check out where your relatives/friends live and see if you can be accommodated enroute. as i don't have any rellies up that way the first night i will be looking to stay at Wellsford. Stayed there before and was on the road at 7.15 next morning and was an easy ride to CR and i was 2 up. Next night i will be looking to stay at Matamata/Tauranga - looking to be on the road by 7am. Anyway thats how i do it - in bed by 10.30pm, early to rise theory. others of course like to get as close as they can to a checkpoint and have a short ride in the morning.
ride to your fuel tank - don't stop every 200km for fuel if you can do 350km.
so before you do the SX fill up the bike and put a 5 litre container in the pannier and see how far you can really go on a tank. my warning light comes on after 350-360km at my usual "nana" cruising speed but i know it will do 420km before it starts coughing. Just gives you a bit of piece of mind.
Hope this helps

nigglec

Jantar
9th February 2007, 19:58
The 50cc rider was in the 03 event. In 05 there was a rider on a scooter, and he kept right up with everone.

On any endurance type ride, I like to be around 2 - 4 hours from the next checkpoint when I stop for the night. This policy allows you time to carry out any minor maintenance (if neccessary) in the morning before setting off. So my overnight stops for this year will be Houhora, Ohope, Wellington, Oamaru.

In general make your fuel stops short, but relax a bit longer at meal breaks. Most important - keep up your fluids.

Meanie
9th February 2007, 20:03
I am doing it but not this one ill have to wait another two years unfortunatly time just dosnt allow me to do it this year
Have fun and ride safely :scooter:

RichardC
10th February 2007, 14:55
Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll check the previous SX stories for more valuable "Experiences"

Highlander
10th February 2007, 19:41
Excellent.
Subscribed to this thread.
Jantar those stops you mentioned are similar to what I was thinking (Whangarei, Home, Masterton, Oamaru/Dunedin depending on how I do that day).

Still trying to sway wifey to let me go - watch this space.

shafty
3rd March 2007, 14:45
I've entered and am really looking forward to it, while being very respectful of what is required!

Big Cheers to Blackbird and Mates :Punk: who put a couple of awesome articles out on their 05 S/Cross - articles I have recently found and have been reading like a "Boys Own"!!

I'm putting some plans together now, but roughly speaking I want to stop in Kaitaia Monday night (better choice of motels and services), Whakatane Tues, I'm hoping to cross the strait Wed night, but haven't done the calcs for that yet, then have more time to traverse the South Is.

Any tips or best route recommendations gratefully received. I'm blessed with a good fuel range (500+/-kms) but am acutely aware traffic, wet weather etc do knock around your travel times.

Shafty
Tauranga

shafty
3rd March 2007, 20:19
Calcs now tell me a Wednesday Ferry seems very hopeful!

Highlander
3rd March 2007, 20:56
Calcs now tell me a Wednesday Ferry seems very hopeful!

Would that be "very hopeful" of the quite achievable or Yeah right variety?

shafty
3rd March 2007, 21:24
Possibly the TUI variety.

I did the 4 Points thru there and was looking at my notes, but I forgot the 1200 departure time momentarily.

But, hey, anything could happen on the day.

I'll book the Fairy for Thursday am, and if I have a lucky break, good weather etc, will cancel the bed at my Brothers!

Jantar
3rd March 2007, 21:57
At roughly 10 hours from East Cape to Wellington, I'll be booking the Thursday morning crossing.

NiggleC
6th March 2007, 11:47
I'm booked on 8am Thursday Bluebridge as 8.25am interislander is full as far as motorcycle bookings go:whistle:

DesmoJohnny
7th March 2007, 02:52
I have pretty much convinced myself to do this ride too! :gob:
Anyone from the Nelson area planning on going ?

Jantar
8th March 2007, 12:23
I'm booked on 8am Thursday Bluebridge as 8.25am interislander is full as far as motorcycle bookings go:whistle:
I'm also booked on the 8:00 am Bluebridge crossing. Now to find some accomadation within 30 - 45 minutes of the ferry terminal. Paekakariki perhaps?

NiggleC
8th March 2007, 14:56
I'm hoping my mate Fred from Hutt Valley is on the ride so hopefully will be able to fudge a bed at his place. I have stayed at the motels at Paekakariki before. No sleep. Trucks and trains all night but they did put me in the front unit! If i end up going that way i have caught the early ferry starting from Levin on SX'03 so anywhere from there south is ok. I always try to get some sleep on the ferry as i'm not the best sailor:sick:

ducatijim
8th March 2007, 15:37
Well, I have booked a bluebridge crossing for 0800 thurs, so it would seem like I just might have to do this!! Just fitted my new Corbin seat to my DR so plan to use her!( Miss reliable; roads,weather,darkness; handles everything with ease...and frugal too!) My overnighter plans are: Kaitaia, Pukehina(ish), Woodville( I'm a morning person being a dairy farmer!!) and Oamaru.Am looking forward to seeing if my planning will work and pushing the 'envelope' just a little!!

DesmoJohnny
9th March 2007, 01:26
I'm also booked on the 8:00 am Bluebridge crossing. Now to find some accomadation within 30 - 45 minutes of the ferry terminal. Paekakariki perhaps?

I'm on this one too, was thinking about riding in one hit and going for the 3 am ferry ?! maybe too optimistic :scooter:
Its going to be a blast - will be good to meet a few of you guys too.
I'm stuck in the UK at the minute, get home a week before, so my planning is pretty sparse :slap:

shafty
9th March 2007, 06:38
I'm on this one too, was thinking about riding in one hit and going for the 3 am ferry ?! maybe too optimistic :scooter:
Its going to be a blast - will be good to meet a few of you guys too.
I'm stuck in the UK at the minute, get home a week before, so my planning is pretty sparse :slap:

I'm on Bluebridge 0800 also - quite a few bikes on that crossing by the looks!

I was amazed that a Ferry crossing would be booked out so far in advance (6 weeks).

I looked at the 3am type crossing, but other than maybe saving a nights rent in lieu of 4 hours pavement kip, and 3 hours Ferry snooze, I reckoned there was no advantage.

I looking forward to some quality sleep then riding (comparatively) fresh the next day, into South Island sunshine (fingers crossed!)

kawaman
9th March 2007, 11:54
I'm all set up for this too, just got to register for the run iself. Actually I am counting down the days until I can go. Goin out to test headlights on current bike this weekend and will change bulbs if needed.

Overnights and ferries as follows:

Opunake Sun
Ahiapara Mon
Paeroa Tues
Otaki Wed
8am Bluebridge thurs and see how far we get.
Bluff Fri for a few beers.

Sounds like the 8m bluebridge is gonna have penty of us on it. Lookin forward to it!

DesmoJohnny
13th March 2007, 20:37
Can any of you guys that have done the Southern Cross before let me know if there are any legs that have more than 200kms between fuel (obviously depends which way I go :shutup: )
The monster only has 15 litres and hits 'reserve' at about 160 kms with about 2 litres to spare.
I think carrying a couple of litres 'spare' may be necessary option ?

Cheers for any advice :Punk:

NiggleC
13th March 2007, 21:15
Opotiki out to Te Araroa is about 160km but not exactly a high speed section. The nearest comparison in the South Island i can think of is Westport to Greymouth. there are a couple of pumps in the 1st 50km or so east of Opotiki so perhaps look at a splash and dash at one of the those. Te Araroa has one pump and when the Southern Cross circus is in town a long queue. South of East Cape there are plenty of small towns. to be honest i can do 350km+ on a tank so i haven't made a special study of this but i think you will be fine without the extra can. don't forget to practise your dirt riding skills for the last 25km to Cape Reinga and out to East Cape.

DesmoJohnny
13th March 2007, 21:47
Cheers for that NiggleC,
Dirt riding skills eh ! slow and both feet down ! :yes:
Those are the only sections I don't look forward to.
I've only got a week from when I get back home to the start of the trip - so had better get my act together. :scooter:

shafty
13th March 2007, 21:54
Opotiki out to Te Araroa is about 160km but not exactly a high speed section. The nearest comparison in the South Island i can think of is Westport to Greymouth. there are a couple of pumps in the 1st 50km or so east of Opotiki so perhaps look at a splash and dash at one of the those. Te Araroa has one pump and when the Southern Cross circus is in town a long queue. South of East Cape there are plenty of small towns. to be honest i can do 350km+ on a tank so i haven't made a special study of this but i think you will be fine without the extra can. don't forget to practise your dirt riding skills for the last 25km to Cape Reinga and out to East Cape.

How bad is the dirt there Niggle? I've done the Cape Reinga metal a few months back, and that was OK with care....

NiggleC
14th March 2007, 16:14
it can be fairly rough early on especially if the grader has been through but just go easy and there should be no dramas. plenty will be on sports bikes and most seem to manage ok.

Jantar
14th March 2007, 16:24
Last Southern cross, the Cape Reinga gravel section was very easy with good hard packed dirt and correct camber on most of the road. The east Cape gravel section was very difficult for many of the sports bike riders. The road had been graded with an overall slope, and with a very high crown. Also the gravel was quite coarse and not packed down. A couple of riders dropped their bikes on this section.

Its really just a matter of riding smoothely, keeping your weight on your feet rather than on your bum, slowing down early for corners, and let the bike move under you while you guide and don't fight it. :scooter:

shafty
14th March 2007, 16:39
Thanks Guys. How long is the metal part of the East Cape road ?

Jantar
14th March 2007, 17:44
Its not too long at all. Only about 15kms each way. Quite a lot of the road has been sealed.

kawaman
15th March 2007, 11:28
Can any of you guys that have done the Southern Cross before let me know if there are any legs that have more than 200kms between fuel (obviously depends which way I go :shutup: )
The monster only has 15 litres and hits 'reserve' at about 160 kms with about 2 litres to spare.

I have emailed RNMC about the east cape leg. It falls on ANZAC day so queried whether they have checked to see if the gas stations around there will be open. Not worried about main centres but you never know whether the more remote stations will close up and go fishing instead.

I need gas at either Te araroa or Waihau Bay&Ruatoria to get around and would imagine lots of others would need the same.

The added 40km out to the light house and back doesnt help, but as long as stations are open then no probs.

Highlander
16th March 2007, 08:05
Yep the day of the East cape rounding is ANZAC day so beware of limitations in food and fuel availability, especially in the smaller places like some of those coast townships where opening hours are restricted anyway.

DesmoJohnny
16th March 2007, 08:45
Thanks for the info guys,might carry a little extra just in case. Never been up that 'neck of the woods' before so any insights are always welcome.
Cheers

DesmoJohnny
16th March 2007, 09:19
:ride: Anyone on the Interislander 10 am to Wellington on the 22 April ?
I've booked this one, must get some tie downs !

NiggleC
16th March 2007, 09:56
i'm going up early - Friday 20th to do Napier - Taupo Rd on Saturday 21st and the forgotten highway through to Stratford on Sunday. :scooter: :scooter:

Jantar
17th March 2007, 15:16
I've booked to go north at 2:00 pm on Saturday 21st. I want to spend the Sunday somewhere in the lower North Island cleaning and checking the bike.

jbauer
17th March 2007, 19:37
Adding my name to the list! Coming in from San Francisco to run this rally with a friend based in Auckland. Looking forward to it!

I'll be riding a 96 VFR. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonbauer/386254759/

- Jon in SF

shafty
17th March 2007, 21:54
Are you going for the "Furtherest Travelled" Jon? :) :third: :third:

jbauer
18th March 2007, 03:54
Does the reward for that include cash? If so, then yes, I am.

:scooter:

- Jon

Highlander
23rd March 2007, 19:57
What plans are you fellow North Islanders making for the homeward leg?
Just wondering who is doing a mad dash back verses taking the scenic route?

Jantar
23rd March 2007, 20:28
So I take it that M has given her permission then. I intend to have a late breakfast in Bluff on Saturday morning and be home by lunchtime. :yes:

Highlander
23rd March 2007, 20:43
Captian Morgan (Permission granted) - well sort of / almost / maybe.
I'm some where between a "What ever" and "I dare you" which I'm taking as a yes.

Really I would like her blessing but that could be pushing it. :dodge:

I'll be home by lunch too, just not sure which day.

jbauer
24th March 2007, 10:42
Does anyone know specifically where the rally points are, so that I can plug them into my GPS? All I know so far is (from the website):

Cape Egmont, Monday 23rd April Noon – 1pm
Cape Reinga, Tuesday 24th April Noon – 1pm
East Cape, Wednesday 25th April Noon – 1pm
Bluff, Friday 27th April Noon – 1pm

- Thanx
- Jon

Highlander
24th March 2007, 20:24
Does anyone know specifically where the rally points are, so that I can plug them into my GPS? All I know so far is (from the website):

Cape Egmont, Monday 23rd April Noon – 1pm
Cape Reinga, Tuesday 24th April Noon – 1pm
East Cape, Wednesday 25th April Noon – 1pm
Bluff, Friday 27th April Noon – 1pm

- Thanx
- Jon

Cape Egmont = As far West as you can go before swimming
Cape Reinga = As far North as you can go before swimming
East Cape = As far East as you can go before swimming
Bluff = As far South as you can go before swimming :dodge:

But seriously, you want those in Degrees and Minutes or New Zealand Map Grid reference?

Highlander
24th March 2007, 20:43
According to the mapping software I have access to:

Egmont light house: 39 deg. 16.625 min S / 173 deg 45.163 min E
Reinga Light house: 34 deg 25.596 min S / 172 deg 40.650 min E
East Cape Light house: 37 deg 41.433 min S / 178 deg 32.639 min E
Sterling Point (Bluff): 46 deg 36.723 min S / 168 deg 21.570 min E.

If they aren't right you should be able to see where you want to be from there.

jbauer
25th March 2007, 07:14
Excellent! Thank you Highlander!

- Jon

shafty
29th March 2007, 23:27
Good to see everything is falling in to place Boys and Girls - getting all the crap weather out of the way now (thoughts go out to Northern KB'ers) , accessories turning up on time or nearly, - in time to be fitted for the big SX...............

Jantar
1st April 2007, 16:29
I've just been checking on how many KBers are doing the run this year. Last time we only had three. If I have read through the thread correctly, we have:

RichardC
NiggleC
DesmoJohnny
Jantar
Highlander
Shafty
ducatijim
Kawaman
jbauer
RedKLR650
zag
DougieNZ (+ Mrs D)

That's thirteen this year. Have I missed any?

zaq
2nd April 2007, 10:14
I'm in too ... though I haven't come for any kb rides yet (except meeting some at the Westpac Helicopter ride)

Jantar
2nd April 2007, 11:01
I've now made my bookings for accomadation. All of these backpackers and camping grounds still have accomadation if required.

Sunday 22nd: Staying with a KBer at New Plymouth
Monday 23rd. Pukenui – Farm backpackers. Lamb Rd, Pukenui. Ph 09 409-7863
Tuesday 24th. Opotoki. Central Oasis Backpackers. 30 King St. 07 315-5165
Wednesday 25th. Staying with a KBer at Raumati South
Thursday 26th. HAMPDEN BACKPACKERS - 32 Leister St, Hampden, Phone 03 439 4706.
Friday 27th. Bluff Camping Ground, Gregory Street, (03) 212 8774

RichardC
3rd April 2007, 08:22
Hi Malcom, are you sorted for saturday night on the way up ?
Richard

DougieNZ
4th April 2007, 06:50
Myself and Mrs Dougie also in. Newish rubber on both bikes. Both serviced. The dealerships have done well out of us this month! :yes:

Extra Ferry Capacity

For those of you travelling south I have arranged some extra space (40 m/c)on the 0830 sailing ex Wgtn Thursday. Lee should have already told you all about this by now by email. Hopefully this will help some Kiwibikers out. You must have your own tie downs.

DougieNZ
4th April 2007, 06:51
We are looking at Opunake, Whangarei, Whakatane, Wgtn, Oamaru, Bluff.

Highlander
4th April 2007, 08:24
Ferry booked. 0800 sailings on Bluebridge (both ways).
Accomodation sorted so far for Sunday in New Plymouth and Wednedsay in Hutt Valley. The rest is my project for today.
I'm thinking Monday night Whangarei, Tuesday Tauranga, Wednedsay Hutt Valley (sorted), Thursday was thinking Oamaru / Dunedin but I'll check out Hampden - thanks Jantar.
Not sure about Friday, have heard peope drift off mid arvo, so I'm thinking any hours trvel back up th island is hours I don't have to do Saturday.

Planning on Picton / Blenheim Saturday night for the 0800 Sunday ferry, then home Sunday night.

RedKLR650
4th April 2007, 08:25
We are looking at Opunake, Whangarei, Whakatane, Wgtn, Oamaru, Bluff.

Hi all, at this stage Gary and I are looking at
Sunday night at Otaki,
Monday Whangarei,
Tuesday Tauranga,
Anzac Day Wellington:zzzz:,
Thursday night in Haast ( the scenic route :-):scooter:,
Bluff.... :done: Any other takers for a scenic West Coast excursion ?
:whocares:

( Usual conditions apply, all of these ideas are open to change ;-)

Cheers, Stu :scooter:

Highlander
5th April 2007, 08:56
Just did a ring around for ANZAC day opening hours in Opotiki:
Hot Bread shop 5 to 5
Caltex "All Day"
BP 6 to 9:30

According to the Motorcycle Atlas, Fuel is also available at Te Kaha, and Waihau Bay, though I didn't ring to check their hours.

Didn't ring to check but according to the Wises Maps website fuel is available at Tokomaru and Tologa bays for those who don't think they can get Opotiki to Gisborne via the coast road on a tank.

Jantar
5th April 2007, 18:45
Didn't ring to check but according to the Wises Maps website fuel is available at Tokomaru and Tologa bays for those who don't think they can get Opotiki to Gisborne via the coast road on a tank.
If anyone is planning on Opotiki to Gisborne on a single tank, remember to add the 50 odd km return trip to the cape giving 370 kms total.

I'll be planning on a detour into Ruatoria for fuel.

DougieNZ
7th April 2007, 13:30
From Lee today by email:

Hi all

When you are planning your SCRR fuel stops please consider this

Please tell those you are riding with who may not have email and or who may not clear emails often ............

The store at Te Araroa will be open to sell petrol on anzac day from 9.30am to 1.30pm. The store phone number is 06 864 4874

The next petrol south of there will be Ruatoria

You have been advised........

NiggleC
8th April 2007, 21:44
Right then, all the oils changed, new (2nd hand) throttle body fitted, injectors balanced, new front brake pads. Test ride up to Nape Nape (look it up yourselves) which is at the end of gravel road. All good, a cuppa at the Dommett Cafe and back to Christchurch. Turn into my street and the speedo cable breaks. Bloody BMW's.........

Highlander
9th April 2007, 07:13
Anyone interested in the KB contingent getting together for coffee or something at Opunake or somewhere then arriving at the start together, or just try and find each other at the start.

Got any of them yellow ballons left Shafty?

Just floating the idea, don't know the area, open to suggestions.

My nights are sorted: Sunday - New Plymouth, Monday - Whangarei, Tuesday - Tauranga, Wedesday - Lower Hutt, Thursday & Friday - Dunedin, Saturday - Picton, Sunday Home again.

Jantar
9th April 2007, 07:25
Because of the large number of entrants it would pay to be at the start by 11:00 on the Monday. May I suggest a late breakfast in Okato at 09:45.

Highlander
9th April 2007, 08:52
Because of the large number of entrants it would pay to be at the start by 11:00 on the Monday. May I suggest a late breakfast in Okato at 09:45.

Sounds like a plan.

Silly question about tie downs for the ferry, I know I have seen it somewhere, but can't find it now that I'm looking for it....

2 tie downs, Bike on side stand so both wheels are on the floor (forming a triabgle between floor contact). Tie downs used to load front and rear suspention.

Does that sound right to you guys that have done it before?

Krusti
9th April 2007, 09:22
Big thing, don't panic once on ferry.

Jantar
9th April 2007, 09:31
Sounds like a plan.

Silly question about tie downs for the ferry, I know I have seen it somewhere, but can't find it now that I'm looking for it....

2 tie downs, Bike on side stand so both wheels are on the floor (forming a triabgle between floor contact). Tie downs used to load front and rear suspention.

Does that sound right to you guys that have done it before?
That is the way to do it if you can't tie to a bulkhead. My favourite is to place the front wheel against the bulkhead wall, and to load the front suspenion by pulling down and forward. Bike in gear but the side stand not touching the floor.

Highlander
9th April 2007, 09:37
Thanks for that.

See you for breakfast this time in two weeks. :2thumbsup

RichardC
9th April 2007, 11:09
Sounds good put me down for two more

Richard

dogsnbikes
9th April 2007, 11:28
That is the way to do it if you can't tie to a bulkhead. My favourite is to place the front wheel against the bulkhead wall, and to load the front suspenion by pulling down and forward. Bike in gear but the side stand not touching the floor.

Those of you travelling on the bluebridge(santa regina) we now have more tie down points installed.....:yes:

two tie downs are enough to secure your bikes for the crossing and a hint for all when parking bike have front wheel facing the middle of deck this way the guys will let you off first time is everything here

and for those that are wondering its as simple as putting your bike on a trailer

goodluck all with the southern cross :rockon:

NiggleC
9th April 2007, 20:32
Okato 9.45am it is then.

DesmoJohnny
10th April 2007, 05:38
Hi Folks, I'm up for breakfast too.
Plans so far are New Plymouth, Kaitaia,Whakatane,Welly Ferry Terminal??, Dunedin.Not sure about Bluff, probably start riding back home that afternoon :scooter:
Don't get back in the country until Sunday 15th ! then service/check bike,fit pack rack,adjust headlights,buy tie downs,sort spare fuel container .......:gob:

Never been so disorganised - but looking forward to the ride and catching up with some KB'rs :Punk:

shafty
10th April 2007, 07:22
Ferry booked. 0800 sailings on Bluebridge (both ways).
Accomodation sorted so far for Sunday in New Plymouth and Wednedsay in Hutt Valley. The rest is my project for today.
I'm thinking Monday night Whangarei, Tuesday Tauranga, Wednedsay Hutt Valley (sorted), Thursday was thinking Oamaru / Dunedin but I'll check out Hampden - thanks Jantar.
Not sure about Friday, have heard peope drift off mid arvo, so I'm thinking any hours trvel back up th island is hours I don't have to do Saturday.

Planning on Picton / Blenheim Saturday night for the 0800 Sunday ferry, then home Sunday night.

Whats the story Highlander, not even staying for a beer?

Highlander
10th April 2007, 19:40
Yep, I'll stop for some lunch and enjoy an ale (might even go real wild and make it two) then head back to Dunedin for the night.

Anyone interested in getting together Sunday evening (22nd) in New Plymouth for a quiet ale?

Lee Rusty
10th April 2007, 21:23
For those who were getting worried about sailings on the interislander
lease note
The interislander has freed up 40 more bike spaces for us.
as per email below

I have arranged with the Interislander to open up some more space for 40
m/c's on the 0825 Sailing Wellington - Picton on Thursday 26 April for
the SCRR participants if they require them. I have checked the online
booking system and the bookings are now available on this sailing it was
showing full!). Bookings can be made through www.interislander.co.nz
(cheapest) or by phoning 0800 802 802.

Please note that all bookings for these extra places MUST carry their
own tie downs.

so if you are interseted - mind you some of those 40 have already gone but ask them if that is the sailing you really want

Cheers Lee Rusty

RichardC
11th April 2007, 04:43
HI Johnny
I've got a spare bed in Raumati If you need.....
Richard

shafty
11th April 2007, 18:51
For those who were getting worried about sailings on the interislander
lease note
The interislander has freed up 40 more bike spaces for us.
as per email below

I have arranged with the Interislander to open up some more space for 40
m/c's on the 0825 Sailing Wellington - Picton on Thursday 26 April for
the SCRR participants if they require them. I have checked the online
booking system and the bookings are now available on this sailing it was
showing full!). Bookings can be made through www.interislander.co.nz
(cheapest) or by phoning 0800 802 802.

Please note that all bookings for these extra places MUST carry their
own tie downs.

so if you are interseted - mind you some of those 40 have already gone but ask them if that is the sailing you really want

Cheers Lee Rusty

Lee,
- just checking, having registered for this event and paid and so on, there is nothing we need to bring to the 1st checkpoint? ie no card or anything I may have missed in the excitement?
Cheers
Shafty

Jantar
11th April 2007, 19:16
I had the same question last Southern Cross, and took along the acknowledgement of my entry just in case. But nothing is needed other than your bike.

You will find that they have a book with everyones name in it. As evidence that you were at the checkpoint between 12:00 and 1:00 you must sign the book next to your name. Its that simple.

shafty
11th April 2007, 20:25
I had the same question last Southern Cross, and took along the acknowledgement of my entry just in case. But nothing is needed other than your bike.

You will find that they have a book with everyones name in it. As evidence that you were at the checkpoint between 12:00 and 1:00 you must sign the book next to your name. Its that simple.

Thanks for the Heads Up Mr Rotor!

MaxB
13th April 2007, 00:40
I'm in. Finally.

I haven't come for any rides yet, not been on the list very long, so sorry for that.

My intinerary as far as it goes is:

Sunday 22nd - New Plymouth
Monday 23rd - Kaitaia/Ahipara
Tuesday 24th - Opotoki
Wednesday 25th - Wellington (City)
Thursday 26th - Bluebridge Ferry then Dunedin (or maybe S.Canterbury)
Friday 27th - Invercargill

DesmoJohnny
13th April 2007, 07:28
HI Johnny
I've got a spare bed in Raumati If you need.....
Richard

Cheers for the offer Richard,
I'm thinking of just goin'hard and trying for the 3 a.m sailing, that way I can pop in at home on the way down to Dunedin. But may take up the offer if things don't work out.

Cheers

Lee Rusty
15th April 2007, 21:57
no nothing you need to bring

Highlander
16th April 2007, 09:40
The end, being Bluff, is that as in Eagle Tavern Bluff, or end of the road (Stirling Point)?

DougieNZ
16th April 2007, 15:27
End Checkpoint = Stirling point as I understand it. Social night is on at the New Eagle friday night.

Lee Rusty
16th April 2007, 20:49
bluff to sign in at midday
then to eagle

Highlander
17th April 2007, 17:11
Thanks Lee, that is what I thought.

What is the latest update on entry numbers? (just curious)

Lee Rusty
17th April 2007, 21:19
In the past years we have found that many small towns close main streets for parades on ANZAC day as their memorials are in the main streets for wreath laying - PLease respect any closures - the DIGGERS have a right to their day they earned it the hard way.

See you all in Bluff

Please RideSafe

Lee R

KoroJ
18th April 2007, 19:25
Good luck people, and be careful out there.

I'd love to join you in getting a sore butt but I'm currently sweltering in Brissy and off to Hamilton Island tomorrow.

I'll have to settle for sailing, pina colada's and reading the ride reports on my return.

Jantar
19th April 2007, 17:31
My bike is serviced, checked, new tyres fitted, Panniers and rear bag loaded, and I'll be on my way at 8:30 in the morning. Looking forward to meeting you all.

ducatijim
19th April 2007, 17:56
Preps all done, packing complete.....just countn' down now......................

See u all Monday lunchtime I guess?

Blackbird
19th April 2007, 17:56
My bike is serviced, checked, new tyres fitted, Panniers and rear bag loaded, and I'll be on my way at 8:30 in the morning. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Best of luck Malcolm - will be thinking of you. :Punk: I'm flying to Wellington a week tomorrow to pick the 'bird up - have been really missing it.

Cheers

Geoff

NighthawkNZ
19th April 2007, 17:57
Ride safe peps.... have fun

RedKLR650
19th April 2007, 18:20

Just got the rear rim back from having a tweak from the accident knocked out of it, 2 new tyres fitted this morning, bike getting it's 10,000km service today, will pick up in the morning, then just have to replace the panels damaged in the accident ( have them all here ) and wire up a 12V outlet for various accessories, and pack the pelican cases. :done: Splint comes off the broken thumb on Saturday :apumpin: ( it's been 3 weeks..... ) and come 8am Sunday, we're off ( Me and Gary, an as yet non-KBer ) Looking forward to catching up with Jantar and the crew, and meeting all the other like minded riders......

See you all noon Monday, Stu :scooter:

Highlander
19th April 2007, 19:45

I still got to pack - tomorrow's job.
Ride safe bud, looking forward to catching up.

Preps all done, packing complete.....just countn' down now......................

See u all Monday lunchtime I guess?

Or you could join Jantar and I (and anyone else who shows up) at Okato (between New Plymouth and the start) for breakfast 0945 ish Monday. Our bikes are in our profile picks.

shafty
19th April 2007, 22:37

Have a good ride up Jantar, be good to meet ya, maybe at breakfast.

Geez the bike shops (And Ferries) must do well out of these events!
New tyres (straight off the shelf, phew), tiedowns, topbox, electric gizmo's, radar brackets etc etc! - don't look at the bottom line, just sign the chit! :yes:

With the changing of the route each SX too, it's cool that some Guys start out like you this week, while others of us will be wandering home after the big km's.

I HOPE to pickup from Taupo tommorrow a top box I ordered I a month + ago - the actual top box was no problem, but I've been waiting for a slow boat from Italy with the required custom ST plate! Cutting it a bit fine, but worse case scenario, I'll just ditch the extra champagne and caviar from my packing list.

The weather forecast looks fab so far too. CAn't wait to get crackin!

Highlander
19th April 2007, 22:44
Tis promising to be a good week.

Quite looking forward to it in a "not quite sure what to expect" sort of way.

Service, new chain and two new tyres yesterday. Packing tomorrow afternoon.

Guess I'll have to Scrub the tyres on the way to New Plymouth Sunday arvo.

Krusti
20th April 2007, 07:38
Will be looking forward to your write up Shafty on how the ST went. :yes:

Have fun guys...:Punk:

ducatijim
20th April 2007, 12:41
Or you could join Jantar and I (and anyone else who shows up) at Okato (between New Plymouth and the start) for breakfast 0945 ish Monday. Our bikes are in our profile picks
OK, Shafty an me is travellin togeather ( at least that far!!) an we will see wot wez can do abouts brekki !

shafty
20th April 2007, 16:09
COOL! Top box arrived..............(Shafty disappears into the garage with a focussed smirk)

RichardC
20th April 2007, 16:42
Okato 09:45 Monday it is then, See you all there, safe travels.
Richard

DesmoJohnny
20th April 2007, 17:36
Excellent - have checked the bike over,all good.
New(ish) rear tyre,front will be ok (hopefully-at least until the trip home),cleaned the chain,got me some tie-downs and puncture repair kit.
Fitted the pack rack,tall screen and even got a decent 2lt fuel container!
Now just got to wait for Sunday to get the ferry....:zzzz: :sick:
Guess I better pack too :shit:

Safe trip everyone, see you for brekkie.
Johno

ducatijim
20th April 2007, 20:09
shafty;1021243]COOL! Top box arrived

Maaate...when u lives in Tga, WTF did you get your topbox from Taupo? Closest dealer?

Jantar
20th April 2007, 21:15
I arrived in Kaikoura tonight, exactly 8 hours after leaving Alexandra. It was a very pleasant and uneventful ride with almost no idiots in the many cages. I did get a suprise on the Christchurch Northern motorway, when I glanced down and saw that my radar detector was displaying a full alert on the laser band as I was approaching an overbridge, but there was no noise. Fortunately I wasn't exceeding the limit so no ticket. I did stop at the first rest area and make a temporary repair to a broken wire, so now its all working again.

Crossing tomorrow afternoon.

banditrider
20th April 2007, 22:28
Gidday, just joined this forum. Will probably meet some of you guys on the Southern Cross. It's my second one - can't wait.

http://banditrider.blogspot.com/

MaxB
21st April 2007, 00:28
Had the fairing off to fix a wiring harness mount under the tank. It failed and dropped a chocolate block into the radiator fan. No damage thankfully. All fixed. Better now than on the rally. Sailed through the warrant so the bike is all done.

Just the packing and the sheepskin to do on then I'm good to go.

I'll probably introduce myself on Monday at the cafe. My ZZR is a 2-tone grey model.

Ride Safe.

shafty
21st April 2007, 02:36
Maaate...when u lives in Tga, WTF did you get your topbox from Taupo? Closest dealer?

Good spotting....smarter than the average beer...........I won a $200 prize at the Four Points Rally, redeemable at Trike Works, so applied that to my Top Box purchase, meaning I only needed to leave one arm at the shop!

Don't worry, still got my throttle and drinking arm.:second:

ducatijim
21st April 2007, 12:05
Bloody good to get somfin 4 nofin @ trikeworx! All installed now I guess?

Highlander
21st April 2007, 14:43
Gidday, just joined this forum. Will probably meet some of you guys on the Southern Cross. It's my second one - can't wait.

http://banditrider.blogspot.com/

Hey there Bandit Rider, Welcome to KiwiBiker. Joining us for Brekky Monday or just going to try and track down some of us at the Start?

I think I'm all packed. Just been to top up the tank and zero the trip meter. Now waiting for mid day tomorrow when Shafty and I will make our start. :Punk:

See you on the way somewhere.

Ride safe.

banditrider
21st April 2007, 15:10
Hey there Bandit Rider, Welcome to KiwiBiker. Joining us for Brekky Monday or just going to try and track down some of us at the Start?

I think I'm all packed. Just been to top up the tank and zero the trip meter. Now waiting for mid day tomorrow when Shafty and I will make our start. :Punk:

See you on the way somewhere.

Ride safe.
Hiya, staying in Hawera for the night Sunday. Will make our way quietly up to the start monday morning. Mate & I are both on blue Bandits, meeting some other guys at the start too. Big turnout this year - last I heard there was over 100 booked. Roll on monday!

shafty
21st April 2007, 18:34
Bloody good to get somfin 4 nofin @ trikeworx! All installed now I guess?

Would you believe NO? Just starting - I've had a couple of Party Bus jobs this weekend, plus an Open Home, but all on target!

Warr
23rd April 2007, 17:06
Riders spotted heading northwards on State Highway 39 (Otorohanga - Ngaruawahia) this afternoon.
Ride safe guys and I'm sure they would appreciate anyone wanting to ride decoy!!

shafty
24th April 2007, 22:22
Riders spotted heading northwards on State Highway 39 (Otorohanga - Ngaruawahia) this afternoon.
Ride safe guys and I'm sure they would appreciate anyone wanting to ride decoy!!

It was nice to climb off the bike at 7.00pm tonight in Tauranga! Esp since I calculated a 9.30pm arrival!

Gossip of a bike over a bank in the Gorge south of Kaitaia, but all good I believe otherwise.

Silverfern
25th April 2007, 11:08
Just giving you guys a thumbs up for when you come through Otago (tomorrow ?) that diesel has been spilt this morning from Cherry farm (south of Waikouaiti) to the Northern Motorway. They are putting grit on it now but it could still be slippery tomorrow so take care. Looking forward to full report Malcom!

rustys
25th April 2007, 16:39
Gave all you's guys the wave:spudwave: this av'o between Gisborne and Tolaga Bay, was on the blue R6 heading north, about 1.30am. Fantastic day out riding, hope you guys are enjoying the ride. Take care out there, safe journey south.:rockon:

Catweazle
25th April 2007, 17:05
I met up with the group at Te Araroa today. There is about 130 of them - which is a lot of bikes for a one horse (one petrol pump) town like Te Araroa. Apparently the score to date is two down but OK (one near start and one today after Te Araroa) and one missing in action.

Today's checkpoint at East Cape lighthouse car park was moved back to Te Araroa following some Anzac Day refuelling issues at Te Araroa. A few of the riders and myself also went out to the Cape - three eager souls at least climbed up to the lighthouse at East Cape and were not interested in taking short cuts and not doing the full Southern Cross thing.

Good luck for the rest of the tour guys - it was a pleasure to catch up with you and share a bit of the riding.

T.W.R
26th April 2007, 18:13
Majority of bikes cruised through Rakaia mid - late afternoon today :yes: albeit in miserable conditions (cold & heavy drizzle) heading south to the Dunedin checkpoint before departing for Bluff

DesmoJohnny
29th April 2007, 08:33
Great trip,awesome weather up North-shame it couldn't have stayed the same for the Southern part! Never been so wet(except for swimming !!)
Good to meet the KBer's too,great bunch we are - hope you all get back ok.

5000kms in 6 days and I would do it again for sure. :done:

All was good until about 2kms south of the Hanmer turn-off. Wasn't going too hard :innocent: ,but hit a slick patch on a very wet road and the monster high-sided me off ! :angry:
Broken levers etc and dented tank,crash bungs stuffed - but almost no damage to me,even managed to ride her home! A great couple from Stewart Island retsored my faith in humanity and followed me thru' to Maruia to make sure I was ok.

See you all next time ??

RedKLR650
29th April 2007, 09:33
Great trip,awesome weather up North-shame it couldn't have stayed the same for the Southern part!

With all of those wiggles on the roads up north, I'm glad it was fine there too....... Turns out these new tires I'm trying are great in the dry, crap in the wet.....

Never been so wet(except for swimming !!)

And the drizzle was worse than the rain, wouldn't bead off the visor so easily......

You too

I'm saying no now, but in 2 years, I'm sure to be a starter again. And I never heard of one speeding ticket being issued during the rally..... Everything considered, how lucky is that !

All was good until about 2kms south of the Hanmer turn-off. Wasn't going too hard :innocent: ,but hit a slick patch on a very wet road and the monster high-sided me off ! :angry: Broken levers etc and dented tank,crash bungs stuffed - but almost no damage to me,even managed to ride her home! A great couple from Stewart Island retsored my faith in humanity and followed me thru' to Maruia to make sure I was ok.

Glad you're OK. Nearly had a highside myself 30km south of home, touched a white line under full power while passing, and felt like I was going to do a 180, though I reckon my shingle experience ( where we're used to the back wheel cutting loose ) was all that saved me. I think the couple in the car I just passed probably got as bigger fright as me, as it would have looked pretty spectacular from behind !! Def undies change time........

See you all next time ??

shafty
29th April 2007, 16:41
Great trip,awesome weather up North-shame it couldn't have stayed the same for the Southern part! Never been so wet(except for swimming !!)

All was good until about 2kms south of the Hanmer turn-off. Wasn't going too hard :innocent: ,but hit a slick patch on a very wet road and the monster high-sided me off ! :angry:
Broken levers etc and dented tank,crash bungs stuffed - but almost no damage to me,even managed to ride her home! A great couple from Stewart Island retsored my faith in humanity and followed me thru' to Maruia to make sure I was ok.

See you all next time ??

Big BUGGER Desmo - what bad luck Mate, pleased that good looking Mug of yours survived OK! Its always tragic when such a nice bike goes down.

I'm still languishing in Dunedin - trolled thru the Catlins today, and will be in touch with Oamaru Honda first thing in the morning to see how my bike is coming along (took a rock in the radiator on the way down and they kindly loaned me an ST1100 to make the finish line).

It was good to meet you and the other KB'ers - some great people on the SX.

Had some good laughs along the way!!

Blackbird
29th April 2007, 17:43
Congrats everyone - great result. Something to feel incredibly proud of and I look forward to seeing a ride report. It was the same in '05 with poor weather down south, only it was stock truck effluent on the Clinton road and up the Dunedin hill that caused a few bum-clenching moments!

Highlander
29th April 2007, 20:49
Wow, What a ride.
Close to 5500 Km from home to home.
Dead keen to do that again.
Sorry to hear about your high side DesmoJohny, good the damage is largely superficial though.

Bike performed well.
Shame about the weather you Mainlanders turned on for us, other wise a great run.

timg
29th April 2007, 21:31
Turns out these new tires I'm trying are great in the dry, crap in the wet.....

Awesome adventure Stu. One day....hopefully soonish.
What were the tyres that gave you problems in the wet. I know you had a new Trailwing for the Waitangi day ride. Cheers.

Jantar
29th April 2007, 21:37
... I look forward to seeing a ride report. ...
I'll be starting a new thread shortly for the ride reports. It was brillant riding even if some riders didn't like the timy little bit of drizzle. :whistle:

ducatijim
30th April 2007, 08:28
Well, what a great adventure!Bugger all the critics re weather, thats what its all about, getting thru regardless; a test of determination and of riding gear!
The DR was a dream for me; solid as a rock and steady, come rain or shine, gravel road or road works!
Already planning for 2 years time!
Sorry to hear of your misfortune,Desmo, good youre not hurt; not like the 2 dead and 1 serious after a head on with a car up here near Rotorua, Sunday middayish :-(
Great to meet some super new folk, kiwi bikers do rock!!

RedKLR650
30th April 2007, 18:01
Well, what a great adventure!Bugger all the critics re weather, thats what its all about, getting thru regardless; a test of determination and of riding gear!

Don't get me wrong jim, I wasn't moaning about the weather, as you say, that's all part of the ride, but it was nice to be able to do some good high speed twist and turn riding up :Punk: and down the ranges in the north island without having to worry about greasy roads. :rockon:

Note to self, must take less gear next time :sunny:

Good to see everyone got home safe and sound.

Did anyone hear of any riders getting a ticket, because I know a few people came close at times, myself included :scooter:

Cheers, Stu

RedKLR650
30th April 2007, 18:11
I'm still languishing in Dunedin - trolled thru the Catlins today, and will be in touch with Oamaru Honda first thing in the morning to see how my bike is coming along (took a rock in the radiator on the way down and they kindly loaned me an ST1100 to make the finish line).

Shafty, after meeting you in person, I can confirm, you really are a legend. :Punk: Good luck with your bike repairs, and make sure to call in here ( Timaru ) on your way back from Oamaru ( I'm one hour north of Oamvegas - easy to find in the main street of Timaru, just north of Mitre 10 ):whocares: I'm on 0274 342 372

ducatijim
30th April 2007, 18:29
=
RedKLR650;1035260]Shafty, after meeting you in person, I can confirm, you really are a legend
Oh,yeessss......he is indeed!......shall I be the one to reveal his late night antics outside the Eagle?
You didn't hear this from me......but, Shafty was seen to ride up and down the main (only?) street, late in the evening in a truly 'Ulyssian' manner!
He will be remembered for some time down there I tell you, it was a very cold evening!!

Jantar
30th April 2007, 20:21
You didn't hear this from me......but, Shafty was seen to ride up and down the main (only?) street, late in the evening in a truly 'Ulyssian' manner!
Yes, His riding gear was just a little bare. :shutup:

Highlander
30th April 2007, 20:43
Heard something about a blue streak :gob: - cold evening probably not much to see anyway!!!

Felt real weird to get up today and NOT go for a ride.

edit: That would be me whinging about the Southern drizzle, but as said above it is all part of it, wouldn't be the same if we had sunshine all the way would it.

DougieNZ
30th April 2007, 23:05
I was wondering why all the girls were calling shafty "countersunk" in the bar later???

Very memorable night Shafty!!

:third:

RichardC
1st May 2007, 09:36
Hi All,
It was great to finally do such an awesome ride. Although the trip down south was drizzling from Timaru down, it was absolutely fantastic from Queenstown up the West Coast. I now see what everybody raves about so much. Finally home last night at about midnight.My bum may forgive me in a couple of weeks or so.

Richard

MaxB
1st May 2007, 14:40
I got back last night in time for tea. It rained from Taihape northwards but so what, at least it was warm.

Sorry to hear about your spill Desmo, glad you are OK.

In fact it was great to meet all the KB ers, a great bunch of guys.

See you in 2 years maybe!

DesmoJohnny
2nd May 2007, 13:10
Has 2 yrs passed yet !??
I need to ride - but haven't fixed the bike !
Pretty sure I'll be there next time - if only to witness Shafty's legendary exploits ! :lol: :Punk:

MaxB did you get up to Wanaka ?

Someone at Bluff said the 10th would be the last Southern Cross,has anyone heard the same?
Take it easy guys

Johno

ducatijim
2nd May 2007, 16:28
Well, after a couple of days idle in my garage, the trusty DR was looking dejected this morning, so took her out on some farm work, was ready to head off for Reianga again! Geeze, hope the next is not the last!
Anyone heard from 'countersunk'? he must have warmed up by now and slunk back into town? 'Onya M8!!!

shafty
2nd May 2007, 17:13
I was wondering why all the girls were calling shafty "countersunk" in the bar later???

Very memorable night Shafty!!

:third:

Thats not very nice Mate! I hope your ST wasn't running too rich on the way home, with my undies in your air cleaner! lol:gob:

shafty
2nd May 2007, 17:18
Well, after a couple of days idle in my garage, the trusty DR was looking dejected this morning, so took her out on some farm work, was ready to head off for Reianga again! Geeze, hope the next is not the last!
Anyone heard from 'countersunk'? he must have warmed up by now and slunk back into town? 'Onya M8!!!

Yes Lads, I slunk in to Tauranga from Napier at 1pm on the dot; I got all four seasons in one day today, but as you will all know, after the previous week of riding it was just a matter of "Chuck it at me, I've had worse!!" , even the B____ch who pulled out in front of me in Amberley, was like water off a ducks back.

Oamaru Honda ROCK big time. They had the ST back ready to ride by 1pm Monday, and charged me NOTHING for the use of the ST1100 - that is so cool; I trust they'll enjoy the Speights which I ordered for them.

I'll enjoy catching up on the Rides Reports thread. Great to meet you Guys.:Punk:

shafty
2nd May 2007, 17:21
Shafty, after meeting you in person, I can confirm, you really are a legend. :Punk: Good luck with your bike repairs, and make sure to call in here ( Timaru ) on your way back from Oamaru ( I'm one hour north of Oamvegas - easy to find in the main street of Timaru, just north of Mitre 10 ):whocares: I'm on 0274 342 372

Stu I respect a man who tells the truth! Sorry Mate, I'd shot the gap before catching your posting - but thanks for the offer; likewise if you ever need a bed up this way..........

DougieNZ
4th May 2007, 05:03
Someone at Bluff said the 10th would be the last Southern Cross,has anyone heard the same?
Take it easy guys

Johno

Hi Johno

130 Bikes on this year's run...

I heard this rumour floating around too. This was put to Lee, who replied:

"If that's the case, it's the first I've heard of it"

So I think that you can take it from that statement that the Southern Cross will be around for some time yet! I'm sure next one will be special, being the 10th... maybe 150?

Regards

Adrian

jbauer
5th May 2007, 15:28
Thanks all! What a blast!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonbauer/sets/72157600007772793/

- Jon

MaxB
6th May 2007, 00:20
MaxB did you get up to Wanaka ?

Yep Desmo I did. Met up with some mates from central in Wanaka and toasted the all SCRR riders. Then I managed a trip up the west coast before I had to get back home.

Lee Rusty
10th May 2007, 19:46
Gee I would love to know who starts these rumours - RNMC members heard several times over the SC that it was the last one or the next one was the last one - if you want to know this stuff come straight to the horses arse and ask me.

This was not the last SX there is a special SX planned for 2009 as the 10th anniversary so I guess that must be on as well. Thought we will be interested to see how many hard arses can complete it.

Watch the Rusty Trumpet newsletters over the next issue or so to see announcements

in the mean time there is a one off special planned for 2008.

Start putting some dollars away in the "must do that run jar." an announce ment will be in the next Trumpet due out shortly.

Thanks to all who let us know they got home safely - we appreciate it

RideSafe until we meet again.

LR

Hi Johno

130 Bikes on this year's run...

I heard this rumour floating around too. This was put to Lee, who replied:

"If that's the case, it's the first I've heard of it"

So I think that you can take it from that statement that the Southern Cross will be around for some time yet! I'm sure next one will be special, being the 10th... maybe 150?

Regards

Adrian

banditrider
10th May 2007, 19:59
Relieved to hear that - I've only got 2 under my belt! Thanks for putting on another great ride. Can't wait for the 1000 miler! Bum must have a short memory...

A few pics here http://picasaweb.google.com/andrew.l.thomson/2007SouthernCross

DesmoJohnny
10th May 2007, 20:47
Thanks for putting the rumours straight Lee, and for all the hard work.
It was my first but certainly not my last - better get in the shed and fix her up ! :scooter:
Johno

Warr
10th May 2007, 22:23
Relieved to hear that - I've only got 2 under my belt! Thanks for putting on another great ride. Can't wait for the 1000 miler! Bum must have a short memory...

Wow awesome collection of pic's there. You can tell where you started to relax after the adventure!! Nugget Point, Milford, and air musem. All good for sure :)

jbauer
11th May 2007, 04:26

Banditrider - thanks for posting those! I kept seeing you guys go by with your green mohawks, but never saw your faces!

You do exist, and not just in my high miles induced motorcycle dreamy state of mind!

- Jon

banditrider
11th May 2007, 19:41
Banditrider - thanks for posting those! I kept seeing you guys go by with your green mohawks, but never saw your faces!

You do exist, and not just in my high miles induced motorcycle dreamy state of mind!

- Jon

Yeah, that was us - those mohawks have done a few k's now (2 x SCRR, 2 x GC). We're trying to start a trend - doesn't seem to be working too well but we give people a laugh at gas stations, tourist spots etc...

Thanks for the comments on the photos - working on something for my website about the ride. Have you checked out some of the other guy's efforts? Makes ya want to head out on it again...

MaxB
11th May 2007, 19:56
Awesome pics, I liked the maps that showed where you went stage by stage.

banditrider
11th May 2007, 21:53
Finally got my write-up done: http://andrew.l.thomson.googlepages.com/2007southerncross-page1

Now all I've got to do is clean & service the bike .

jbauer
12th May 2007, 02:55
(snip) Thanks for the comments on the photos - working on something for my website about the ride. Have you checked out some of the other guy's efforts? Makes ya want to head out on it again...

No - is there a thread that has links? I haven't seen any others!

- Thanx
- Jon

NZsarge
12th May 2007, 03:10
Finally got my write-up done: http://andrew.l.thomson.googlepages.com/2007southerncross-page1

Now all I've got to do is clean & service the bike .

Real nice write up, I enjoyed that. Cheers, John.

shafty
15th May 2007, 12:10
No - is there a thread that has links? I haven't seen any others!

- Thanx
- Jon

Hi Jon, - Go to the EVENTS Forum, then Ride Reports, - there's a bunch there - enjoy! I guess you got home safely? I didn't get to meet you on the SX, - are you an Ex Pat Kiwi, or did you just come out for the hell of it? Stunning effort in doing so, by the way,

Regards

Shafty:sunny:

jbauer
16th May 2007, 04:53
Hi Jon, - Go to the EVENTS Forum, then Ride Reports, - there's a bunch there - enjoy! I guess you got home safely? I didn't get to meet you on the SX, - are you an Ex Pat Kiwi, or did you just come out for the hell of it? Stunning effort in doing so, by the way,

Regards

Shafty:sunny:

Shafty, thanks for the pointer. I was planning to come out and explore the South Island anyways, and the rally sounded like a good way to start!

I very well may be back in 2 years for the next one! I'm not an ex pat, just an American that loves NZ.

- Jon