PDA

View Full Version : Nelson Bays: Ride over Takaka Hill!!!

MyGSXF
9th February 2007, 11:55
OK you Nelson lot.. listen up! I'm kid free for the weekend!! soooooo time to..

RIDE!! Saturday 10th.. TOMORROW!!!!!! :Punk:

Heading over Takaka/Collingwood direction!!

Meet my place 10 am.. leave 10.30.. Meet @ my place!

pm me for my addy

Jen :rockon:

onearmedbandit
9th February 2007, 11:57
Enjoy, we've got a holiday home just north of Collingwood (Pakawau beach) and I and a couple of the lads are planning on doing a ride up there sometime soon.

James Deuce
9th February 2007, 12:11
**Sob**

{Runs off to check ferry times}

MyGSXF
9th February 2007, 12:15
**Sob**

{Runs off to check ferry times}

LOL.. :shutup: I'll think especially of YOU then Jim2.. while I'm blatting over & scraping my pegs on every corner !!! :bleh:

Pickle
9th February 2007, 12:51
The wife & I rode the hill in a leisurely manner last weekend & it is in top shape, over to Takaka on the Sat returned on the Sunday before heading to Greymouth via the Buller gorge, always a must ride whenever in the South Island. Enjoy :scooter:
Also did Arthurs Pass & The Lewis

MyGSXF
9th February 2007, 13:02
The wife & I rode the hill in a leisurely manner last weekend & it is in top shape, over to Takaka on the Sat returned on the Sunday before heading to Greymouth via the Buller gorge, always a must ride whenever in the South Island. Enjoy :scooter:

XLNT!!! Sounds like a great trip!!!! :yes:

Thanks for the road condition report!!! :Punk:

Nutter34
9th February 2007, 16:45
Okay, I'll bite....

I'll go along with you.... Just don't be expecting me to be scraping any footpegs... I'm leaving that for next week at Levels and Ruapuna...

MyGSXF
9th February 2007, 16:49
Okay, I'll bite....

I'll go along with you.... Just don't be expecting me to be scraping any footpegs... I'm leaving that for next week at Levels and Ruapuna...

kewl.. :Punk: c u 2moro!

Ruapuna huh.. :shifty: you'll have to get past me on the mighty Blade first!!! :innocent:

merv
9th February 2007, 16:52
Wished I was there, and Pickle - you lucky bastard.

Nutter34
9th February 2007, 17:13
you'll have to get past me on the mighty Blade first!!! :innocent:

Should be interesting to see if I can keep up on a 400...

xknuts
9th February 2007, 19:22
Every year on holiday, driving that hill with family, my mind is wishin something else! You know it, wind in ya face, miles of hairpins, a sunny day, and scraping the pegs. Never done that on a bike! One day sooner than later. And I miss the "Rat Trap".

Ghost_Bullet
9th February 2007, 20:22
Dammit:angry: I luuuurve that we rock pile... Rode over that once, and had an empty milk tanker on my tail... the scary thing was I was struggling to shake the thing for a wee bit.

Enjoy the trip... I seen the forcast is sposed to turn fine and sunny.:scooter:

MyGSXF
9th February 2007, 20:35
And I miss the "Rat Trap".

several years ago now.. :rolleyes: a mate had a beauty old xs850.. he used to do, The Rat Trap to The Riwaka.. in 18 minutes.. he did it in 22 with me on the back!! :Punk: was a goooood ride!! :shutup:

MyGSXF
10th February 2007, 19:01
Hi honey.. I'm home!!

Well.. an impromtu offer from the olds to have the boys for the weekend can only mean one thing.. time to RIDE baby!!!! :headbang: so yesterday, I did a big pm session with a number of the Nelson clan to jack up a ride.. sooo...

Today, we had our inaugural gathering of the Nelson KB'rs.. was supposed to be a blat over the Takaka Hill.. but at the committee meeting, we decided that because it looked as black as hell over that direction.. we would follow the sun & blue skies.. & went to Picton instead.. via the Queen Charlotte Sound road!! :Punk:

rdrzcbr was the first to arrive..(funny.. considering he was the one mumbling something about it being "far to early for him to be up & about"!! :dodge: )

Followed by poison_ivy77 who was unable to join us for the ride, but showed up to say gidday anyway.. awesome!! great to meet ya P!! Nordieboy arrived shortly thereafter, complete with new tyre on the DR!! Patriot arrived on his new toy, another nooby to KB!! & lastly warewolf & Bell. After a short debate.. regarding which direction to take.. we were off!

Warewolf set the pace out through Nelson, & headed into the Whangamoas for a reasonably clear run up & over.. one tintop driving tosspot got the message pretty quick after some gesticular activity from ww, that he needs to make USE of the many passing laybys when he has bikes up his date!! :doh:

Quick regroup at Rai Valley & again at Havelock, then turned off onto the mighty QC road!! Was a quick run through there!! Not much traffic to get past, but several patches of gravel, roadworks & one hell of a slump made for an "interesting" ride :crazy: Passed a heap of bmw (?) tour bikes coming the other way... about 20 of the bloody things.. which made things a bit distracting! ww made a comment when we got to Picton, about a couple of them taking a liking to HIS side of the road to avoid some gravel on their side..

Anyway.. a great ride through all in all. Quick regroup at the lookout above Picton , then down to the Toot & Whistle for some well earned lunch & coffee! We were joined there also by BADR1, who must have been tail-gating us through QC! The weather was overcast & kinda threatening to dump on us.. but stayed dry luckily! Was bloody windy over that way though, which made for the odd interesting moment!

Headed back through QC again.. why.. coz we could!!! :Punk: Far more traffic to contend with this time round & not many laybys for them to pull over into, so was up to us to take em where ever we could! I had a rather interesting "brown skidmark forming moment" on one corner however.. & I wasn't going too fast either!!! But well over in a lean & hit a nasty bump in the road, & my bike decided we were going to take flying lessons.. apparantly it looked rather impressive from behind.. & both rdrzcbr & I were wondering if me & bike were going to stay attached.. to each other & to the road... gotta say though.. in 15 years of serious riding.. that is the one & only moment I have ever though.. "FAAAARRK.. is this it"??!!!! :gob: managed to stay joined to both bike & road, & carried on my merry way.. making mental note to self, to change undies when I got home!!! :shutup:

Was a slower trip back out the Sounds, but still enjoyable! Quick regroup at Havelock, then straight through to Nelson. Fast run up & over the Whangamoas, & have decided it's definately time to put my horny new Metzler I have waiting at home, on the front!!! ((also decided it's time to start seriously dreaming bout my new bike to be.. MMmmmm... metalic blue sv650... please fairy god mother...)) Quick regroup at the bottom of the Whangas, another photo session, & sayin cherrio to some. Back to rdrzcbr's for a coffee & natter, then headed for home.

All in all, one WICKED day out.. awesome company, awesome ride!! Cheers everyone for showing up..!!! excellent to put more faces to kb names!!! & we'll do it all again.. SOON!!!!!!! right then.. off to change me undies!! :innocent:

MyGSXF
10th February 2007, 19:41
Some piccys of the day...

from left to right:

Pic1)
Patriot
warewolf
Bell
rdrzcbr
Nordieboy
poison_ivy77

pic2) boat line up in Picton
pic3) view over Picton harbour
pic4) bike lineup at my place before leaving

terbang
10th February 2007, 19:53

Cool a few dorklanders wil be there next week on the way down to visit Scumdog..

MyGSXF
10th February 2007, 19:59
more piccys

1 & 2) bike lineup at lookout above Picton
3) lunch at Picton.. L-R
yours truely
Bell
warewolf
Nordieboy
BADR1
rdrzcbr

aren't we a handsome bunch!!! :shutup:

4) same as 3) but includes Patriot in front left

merv
10th February 2007, 20:06
Looks like a good ride and nice to see your pics.

MyGSXF
10th February 2007, 20:09
Still more:

1) my coffee in Picton.. :shutup:
2) warewolf
3) BADR1
4) Nordieboy

NighthawkNZ
10th February 2007, 20:10
Great write up looks like you had fun... :)

MyGSXF
10th February 2007, 20:20
& stiiilll more... :shutup:

1) rdrzcbr
2) Bell
3) Patriot
4) MyGSXF :innocent:

bedebedebede.. dat's all folks.. :Punk:

Nutter34
10th February 2007, 23:25
Very good summary to the day...

Thanks for arranging it, was a good one...

NordieBoy
11th February 2007, 09:39
Of all the group rides I've done, that was the most fun.
:scooter: :scooter: :scooter: :scooter: :scooter: :scooter: :scooter:

MyGSXF
11th February 2007, 09:54
Of all the group rides I've done, that was the most fun.

didn't you say something bout it being your 1st group ride... :first: :shutup: got any more piccys for us??? from that kick arse camera of yours :gob:

bell
11th February 2007, 10:37
Thanks again for doing the organising mate. That tour group on the BMWs looked like they were having a ball...yeah right. Go well next weekend down south!

MyGSXF
11th February 2007, 11:09
Thanks again for doing the organising mate.

Thanks for arranging it, was a good one...

Takes a 'woman' to organise things, to get anything done aye!! :devil2: :shifty: :innocent:

Thanks for showing up!!! :Punk:

ps: Love ya new profile pic there Nig.. :shutup:

NordieBoy
11th February 2007, 11:18
didn't you say something bout it being your 1st group ride... :first: :shutup: got any more piccys for us??? from that kick arse camera of yours :gob:

Nope, done a KiwiBiker rideout and a Road Touring Club rideout.

MyGSXF
11th February 2007, 11:26

oh, ok.. my bad.. :doh: have a WICKED ride on the big offroad day!!!!! :Punk:

Rashika
14th February 2007, 05:28
Looks like it was a good day out peeps ;)

Cool bit of road, hard work at times when there is a bit of traffic tho...
Damn... that big cruise ship was in when we arrived on monday arvo, after a very murky, tho calm sailing.
Excellant pics...may you have many more such KB nelson runs :rockon:

ajturbo
14th February 2007, 07:56

who is in charge of the touring club now?

NordieBoy
14th February 2007, 08:38
Dunno, the one who knows where the most pubs are along a route?

MyGSXF
14th February 2007, 08:41

Dunno, the one who knows where the most pubs are along a route?

Last time I went out with them.. Ken & Gabrielle were running the show. :yes: