PDA

View Full Version : Pre 89 Racing -Ya gotta give it a GO

FROSTY
6th August 2004, 17:53
Guys If ever you were thinking of going racing this HAS to be the class to do it in.In a couple of years watch the prices go up
There must be hundreds of fz750's or f or cbr600's or maybee even 89 rgv250's,g and h model gsxr750 out there.and cheap as chips.
The guys building the really fast weapons and spending heaps are focussed on the open class bikes but theres still the 750,600 and 250 class.
I think we'll get 2 seasons racing before the cheque book racers start spending up large.
best of all maybee a 89 zxr400 might be the go.

Hoon
6th August 2004, 23:41
Yeah my RGV is eligible but just isn't competitive against GSXR1100's and the like. What do you mean "750,600 and 250 class"?? Are you saying that we'll all run together but be placed/scored in our respective classes?
If so then I might just keep my RGV and make room for it next to the ZXR in the van!!!

James Deuce
6th August 2004, 23:52
This is a bit of a tentative punt, but I have a '87 CBR600 with a shagged clutch in the Garage. If anyone is interested we can talk price.

Marknz
7th August 2004, 00:33
This is a bit of a tentative punt, but I have a '87 CBR600 with a shagged clutch in the Garage. If anyone is interested we can talk price.

How shagged is the clutch? I'm guessing you might still be able to get parts

James Deuce
7th August 2004, 08:26
How shagged is the clutch? I'm guessing you might still be able to get parts

Yes you can. Even Motomail sell a kit. It's slips a bit :). I think it's just plates though.

FROSTY
7th August 2004, 14:30
HOON-ok as things stand NOW there are no 250's in pre89 But thats only beacause noones bothered YET -see my point.
As it stands now you will be racing against guys on 750's and 1100's but get enough 250's and they'll have a 250 class
I have this direct from the people organising it.
Remember when Posties started ? they were all on gs1000's and the likes --now the junior and superlite class is bigger than the big bangers
I will be supporting it on my zxr400 and my zxr750 -Ill have the 400 as a back up bike for the 750 and when it gets big enough Ill race my 400 against the 600's
As for the CBR600--shit yea MARK that would be a perfect pre89 bike.

speedpro
7th August 2004, 17:56
Remember when Posties started ? they were all on gs1000's.

Vince will be interested to hear that, and last I checked mine was a Kawasaki, Sean's as well.

Kwaka-Kid
7th August 2004, 18:47
yeah whats this suzi crap? :P Z1 is where its at! Z1R by then though.

LB
8th August 2004, 06:31
Vince will be interested to hear that, and last I checked mine was a Kawasaki, Sean's as well.

And Pete Daniell's too.

And isn't Ernie's bike a Yamaha? :whistle:

And wasn't Matt Meads on some sort of Italian machinery in pre '89 at the GP in April? :whistle:

FROSTY
8th August 2004, 11:33
OK OK point taken :o
I meant to put GS1000's and the likes -not model specific.
I got a tadd distracted as I posted
My oops :crazy: :crazy:

gav
13th August 2004, 10:44
This looks like it could be fun
http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail_expired.asp?id=14503205

riffer
13th August 2004, 13:00
This looks like it could be fun
http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail_expired.asp?id=14503205
It might be fun, but it certainly won't comply with the pre-89 regs.

chaos rider
16th May 2009, 22:11
i can get a 89 suzuki 250gs built for raceing if this post is still going

i would be very intrested in pre 89 250cc racing and will be keen to comit

Gubb
16th May 2009, 22:32

Whoa. 5 years too late.

Surely you can just do 88mph on your Hyosung and go back in time though.

FROSTY
17th May 2009, 14:32
for the record --pre89 is alive an well um pretty much as I predicted.

Harvd
17th May 2009, 14:48
for the record --pre89 is alive an well um pretty much as I predicted.

What about the prices? Have they gone up? I wasnt paying attention back then...

quickbuck
17th May 2009, 16:27
What about the prices? Have they gone up? I wasnt paying attention back then...

Not really.... You can pick up 1989 bikes quite cheap... The class was won outright by a ZXR400 at the Vic Club meeting in Taupo yesterday.
Second race by over 6 seconds!

So, yes, alive and well.

Harvd
17th May 2009, 17:56
Not really.... You can pick up 1989 bikes quite cheap... The class was won outright by a ZXR400 at the Vic Club meeting in Taupo yesterday.

So, yes, alive and well.

excellent this is what i wanted to hear...but maybe a vfr...

How do the 400s go in f3?

PirateJafa
17th May 2009, 20:31
I'll be there on my track VFR once I've got some more track time.

And of course money. ><

koba
17th May 2009, 20:41

Kind of like a slower sub class within it.

450s on the other hand...

koba
17th May 2009, 20:42

Better to race somthing like that in streetstock depending on the host clubs regs.
Hyosung 250 would be a better bet.
Vic Club now have minilites which is great for very lightly modified 250's.

WarrenW
17th May 2009, 20:43
At the end of this season, if things go to plan. My son and I may well sell up our collection of ZXR's, enough to have 3 complete bikes with spares. Will know more as the season progresses. WATCH THIS SPACE

koba
17th May 2009, 20:44
At the end of this season, if things go to plan. My son and I may well sell up our collection of ZXR's, enough to have 3 complete bikes with spares. Will know more as the season progresses. WATCH THIS SPACE

Watching...:niceone:

Harvd
18th May 2009, 18:34
im watching more...

quickbuck
18th May 2009, 20:33

VFR good choice being a Honda, but expensive to get competitive.

Second over all in the Winter Round at Taupo last weekend.... ZXR 400 ;)

Okay, I'm watching the space too.....

Peter Smith
19th May 2009, 08:23

So, yes, alive and well.

I bought my GSXR1100 last Oct for $3500. Put on a 4 into1 exhaust, K&N filters and a jet kit and won the first race at Taupo. It's got 127 RWHP.
The Pre '89 classes are the cheapest way to go for good fun racing.
There were around 33 bikes in this class at Taupo, awesome.
I'm loving it. :niceone:

neil_cb125t
19th May 2009, 18:17

yup im the guy who won the Posties outright and 2nd in F3 by 1 point over all - my 400 i wish i could say is standard....... she is not. They are an awesome bike to get started on - 2 classes, cheap tyres, heaps of helpful guys who are supportive!! and heaps of different bikes. I can't say enough about it.

kiwi cowboy
19th May 2009, 20:00
yup im the guy who won the Posties outright and 2nd in F3 by 1 point over all - my 400 i wish i could say is standard....... she is not. They are an awesome bike to get started on - 2 classes, cheap tyres, heaps of helpful guys who are supportive!! and heaps of different bikes. I can't say enough about it.

so in this class is there only one class or is it split onto different cc rating within the class.
im looking at running a 86 gsxr 400 in the pre89 at terotonga:eek:

steve74
19th May 2009, 21:39
its going to be hard to police, whats pre 89 ? the chassis or the motor?

im guessing the only zxr400 that qualifys is the H1 with the removeable swing arm link to remove the chain, as the KISS arm was on 1990 onwards. , what if you fitted a 1994 L model motor to it?

and the 89 rgv had different cylinders to the 1991 onward, what if someone used a 1995 motor which will bolt straight in?

then again the pre82 boys dont seem to get too upset, Pre72 is a different story though, I remember my mate turning up with a disc brake GT350 one day and getting the big heave hoe!!

puddy
19th May 2009, 22:01
I bought my GSXR1100 last Oct for $3500. Put on a 4 into1 exhaust, K&N filters and a jet kit and won the first race at Taupo. It's got 127 RWHP.
The Pre '89 classes are the cheapest way to go for good fun racing.
There were around 33 bikes in this class at Taupo, awesome.
I'm loving it. :niceone:
Well done Peter!:niceone: You must be stoked.

koba
19th May 2009, 22:01
im watching more...

VFR good choice being a Honda, but expensive to get competitive.

Second over all in the Winter Round at Taupo last weekend.... ZXR 400 ;)

Okay, I'm watching the space too.....

And thats where you will say if you wait around "Going to get into it one day" for too long! :Pokey:

Harvd
19th May 2009, 22:07
And thats where you will say if you wait around "Going to get into it one day" for too long! :Pokey:

Who me? im already in it! sorta... streetstock, but its a start eh?

koba
19th May 2009, 22:13
Who me? im already in it! sorta... streetstock, but its a start eh?

Haha! Funny shit! Me too!

You should try make it up for the winter series september round...

Harvd
20th May 2009, 13:07
Haha! Funny shit! Me too!

You should try make it up for the winter series september round...

id love to as i got some mates and my sister living up there, but then how much will the ferry get me for for a car+trailer? a lot?

Realistically i think ill be in streetstock for a wee while yet until i start doing gooder (suck that spelling nazis). But a 400 would be fun and still a lot cheaper than a competitive sv...

FROSTY
20th May 2009, 14:09
its going to be hard to police, whats pre 89 ? the chassis or the motor?
im guessing the only zxr400 that qualifys is the H1 with the removeable swing arm link to remove the chain, as the KISS arm was on 1990 onwards. , what if you fitted a 1994 L model motor to it?
Heya Steve--with the zxr's there is NO advantage to fitting the later model motor except possibly it will be a bit fresher. Ie In my zxr400 I always fitted the cams from the H because they made better power
The way the rules are phrased you can use non stock components provided that exact component was available in 1989 or before.
You could race a vrf400nc30 but couldn't fit a uSD front end from the later model.

neil_cb125t
20th May 2009, 16:54
so in this class is there only one class or is it split onto different cc rating within the class.
im looking at running a 86 gsxr 400 in the pre89 at terotonga:eek:

600cc and under = JNR above = SNR

koba
20th May 2009, 18:14
id love to as i got some mates and my sister living up there, but then how much will the ferry get me for for a car+trailer? a lot?

Realistically i think ill be in streetstock for a wee while yet until i start doing gooder (suck that spelling nazis). But a 400 would be fun and still a lot cheaper than a competitive sv...

Look here:http://www.bluebridge.co.nz/
and here:http://www.interislander.co.nz/

The sooner you book the better, its cheaper and some sailings are full way ahead of time!

I think a van may be cheaper if you can get one? dunno look though some different options.

We went to Ruapuna for the Battle of the Buckets last year and it worked out much cheaper than I thought it would.
It was mint racing on a different track, the snow was kind of interesting too!

The Streetstock class here was full last september with all the south Islanders who came up, it was a great event.
(search "RG150" on youtube for an onboard vid of one of the races.)

I have always figured that streetstock is by far the best place to learn with very closely matched bikes that cost comparativley little to run. It is definatley best to stay on the streetstock untill you have done real good.
I agree on the 400 being a good call for a cheap fun track hack.

Harvd
20th May 2009, 22:21
Yeah im just dreamin atm. but i am workin my way on up the grid