PDA

View Full Version : What are the yellow lines for??

kevie
10th February 2007, 08:18
Just curious .................................................

How many here take no notice of the yellow lines on the road?

I've come to the conclusion a lot of motorists (not just bikes) don't see them as being any relevance other than making the road look pretty or breaking the monotony of the white dashes that speed past.

Do you pass on Yellows? If so .....why?

So many motorists out there now have cell phones and are willing to use the *555 system to report bad driving!

I drive a 20 Metre rig and get passed repeatedly by motorists on yellows wether its a blind piece of road, oncomming traffic etc

Even heard of an incident recently where a motorist (caged one) pulled out and passed a cop on double yellows. then proceeded to cross the yellows a further 8 times to the cops amazement .... needless to say ... the cop wrote him out over $1200 in tickets

Ive been with local bike runs and tend to get left behind the bunch because of my refusal to pass on yellows.

Is it a policy or encouraged by clubs to obey the road rules and portray a good image when out on a run?

Grahameeboy
10th February 2007, 08:29
I got a ticket, 35 points and went over 100 when I crossed a yellow. Not something I really did but it was windy, cars were slow so just crossed..........

Flatcap
10th February 2007, 08:32
Where is the "pass on the left" option

sAsLEX
10th February 2007, 08:32
You are allowed to pass on yellow lines, let us not forget that, it is the crossing of yellow lines that attracts points and fines.

Also they have started slapping yellow lines fuckin everywhere, not just dangerous places . Ie the whole of SH2 is yellow these days!

festus
10th February 2007, 08:36
I pass on the yellow lines on me bike if its safe, not so sure if I've done it in a car (recently anyway) and if I'd bother anyway, with *555, cops and obvious personal safety etc.........

Pumba
10th February 2007, 08:36
Generally I wont pass on the Yellows cause I can be Catious at times and I work on the thery that they are there fo a reason. The times that I do cross the yellows is when im completing a passing manvour.

Madness
10th February 2007, 08:39
I regularly pass on yellow lines. I am an irresponsible hooligan though, so that makes it okay. I don't do it in the cage, that would be stupid.

MacD
10th February 2007, 08:42
Once upon a time, yellow lines had some meaning. They indicated that there was a hidden dip in the road or some other such reason that would make passing more dangerous than it might first appear. Now they are spreading to such an extent that they have lost their significance to many motorists it seems. It's now common to see double yellow lines on straight stretches of road leading into broken white lines through corners. A fairly counterproductive exercise I would have thought by the roading authorities?

onearmedbandit
10th February 2007, 08:58
If it's safe, with no oncoming traffic and good visibility, yeah I'll pass on the yellow lines.

skelstar
10th February 2007, 09:00
I pass on Yellows, I tend to wave acknowledgement to the driver in the hope that they dont think Im a wanker and dial 555.

kevie
10th February 2007, 09:05
Once upon a time, yellow lines had some meaning. They indicated that there was a hidden dip in the road or some other such reason that would make passing more dangerous than it might first appear. Now they are spreading to such an extent that they have lost their significance to many motorists it seems. It's now common to see double yellow lines on straight stretches of road leading into broken white lines through corners. A fairly counterproductive exercise I would have thought by the roading authorities?

Yep would agree there ......sometimes I scratch my head and wonder what theyre there for...... they say cos of the high accident risk..... but as you say, other places that IS an accident risk dont have them, makes yah wonder what the beaurocrats are smoking eh :doobey:

But a cop on TV the other night said something interesting.... people do it (cross the centre line) so often they start to do it without realising it, and with transits habit of splattering yellows etc all over the place makes people NOT NOTICE the yellows and as you say .... start to NOT see the relevance of them.

WickedOne
10th February 2007, 09:27
Just been stung crossing double yellows once ($150)

nodrog
10th February 2007, 09:31
if I can see its safe I'll pass.

Ghost_Bullet
10th February 2007, 09:42
9 Times out of 10 no, but the odd circumstance where I know I can get through safetly, or the vehicle I am passing is going super slow. If in me car, I never pass on the yellows.

Coyote
10th February 2007, 09:46
They're designed for tiny Conti Cities to slip on and nearly highside

Currently saving up for new tyres

The Stranger
10th February 2007, 09:54
I use a fourth option.
I don't pass on yellows unless I can comfortably fit entirely within the lane - which I believe to be within the law.

Often a driver will pull over when they see a bike approaching or sometimes a lane is easily wide enough to accommodate 2 vehicles.

Mind you have been known to pass on yellows where traffic is jambed during holliday periods.

Panther
10th February 2007, 10:03
dont get on the gas on the thick paint!
unless thats whats fun for you....

babyB
10th February 2007, 10:03
:shit:yellow lines... what yellow lines
i only see brown ones
but then im colour blind:rofl:
well thats my excuse:whistle:

Ixion
10th February 2007, 12:16
Until a few years ago, yellow lines were used responsibly by the authorities , to indicate that for some reason, possibly not apparent to the motorist, overtaking on that stretch of road was dangerous.

That being so, I thanked the authorities for their care, and respected the message. "Uh oh , yellow lines, DANGER, keep left"

Then, alas, the Insane Yellow Paint Maniac was let loose from his padded cell, equipped with a huge pot of yellow paint and a brush.

And some clown in an office had a BrightIdea. "How can I slow all the traffic down even more. I know. On any road there will be some driver who will want to proceed at only half the speed limit. If I force EVERYONE to follow that driver EVERYONE will be constrained to 40kph or so. How to do it? I know. Yellow lines - EVERYWHERE. Then no one will be able to pass, ever, and everyone will be forced down to the speed of the slowest, most doddery, most incompetant old twit on the roads".

And so it now is. The authorities openly admit that now yellow lines have no relevance whatsoever to any danger that might be posed by overtaking. They are simply another speed restriction measure

So, the yellow lines having lost their original purpose, I totally ignore them. And use my own judgement whether it is safe to overtake.Doddery old idiots with cell phones being factored in as a danger.

ManDownUnder
10th February 2007, 12:21
Then, alas, the Insane Yellow Paint Maniac was let loose from his padded cell, equipped with a huge pot of yellow paint and a brush.

And some clown in an office had a BrightIdea....

Thanks for saving me the keyboard time - agreed entirely.

If the Yellow Lines were only in those places where it actually is dangerous to pass then I'd have more respect for them. As it stands I adopt the adage... they are ..."there for the observance by fool and guidance of the wise."

If it's safe, then yes. No-one in Wellington is accurately able to assess every individual circumstance from afar, so I do it for them. Sensibly.

Kyle
10th February 2007, 12:22
I second CaNs option. Will pass cars where there are yellow lines , but only if i can do it without going over the lines or speeding excessively. All very safe manouvers but its the ticket on the mind at all times, tho sometimes its a choice between hitting the lines or losing a wing mirror. :innocent:
curse those 4meter wide SUVs, they should be banned, unless they are towing a motorbike trailer, boat, jetski or other 'big boys toy'

Beemer
10th February 2007, 14:44
I'm with Kyle and CaNs - mainly because it's not so much that I will NEVER pass where there are yellow lines (if you get someone crawling along at 60kph on the open road you're going to go mad if you stay behind them), it's more that with a personalised plate, I'm not that keen to have someone I overtake consider it was dangerous and call *555. There is no real defence if you're crossed the yellows and I don't want to take that risk. I have safely overtaken drivers who are obviously looking for a driveway or something out in the country, so they are crawling along at 30-40kph, half in the lane and half on the shoulder, but because I have dared to overtake, I get a blast on the horn and a shaking fist because THEY feel it is dangerous. Throw in a few yellow lines and all of a sudden the cops might too.

Gremlin
10th February 2007, 14:49
I don't pass on yellows unless I can comfortably fit entirely within the lane - which I believe to be within the law.
as sAsLEX stated, it is the crossing OVER the yellow line, that is illegal.

Picked the middle option, I use my own judgement. However... one time, there was a cop on holiday with his family. Yes, he chased the bike up when he got back from holiday :crybaby:

Additionally, the yellows are designed with slow cars in mind, I would imagine. When you can pass a car in basically a second, at times, then yeah... I'll use my own judgement on each situation, hope there are no cops, and I don't use a personalised plate for the easy-to-remember reason.

The Pastor
10th February 2007, 17:10
I use them as a guidline If I ask my self "is it safe to overtake?" and I can't say 100% yes and see yellow lines I will not overtake. Other wise I don't care.

blackkatana
10th February 2007, 19:00
Squirt of power, stay inside the yellow, passed in a second. Depends on the overall flow, traffic and bike.:yes:

Yellow Streak
10th February 2007, 19:40
I tend to pass between the lines and the mobile cage.

MotoGirl
10th February 2007, 20:07
Generally speaking, I completely ignore yellow lines. I use my discretion as to whether it's safe to pass, e.g. if I'm on a clear straight or can see round the corner and nothing's coming - I'm gone! I never pass around blind corners even if the line is white.

If there's shitloads of room and the car has moved over, I'd pass between a car and the yellow line (therefore, not crossing the centre line). If the lane isn't that wide and I could be at risk of the car moving and taking me out, I'll use the other side of the road, provided it's empty, regardless of whether there is a yellow line. Sometimes, I just feel safer on the opposite side of the road.

terbang
10th February 2007, 20:29
Crossing yellow lines could easily become a 'HoHum' habit leading to the abnormal becoming the normal with a potentially bad result. However the converse of the LTSA (or whoever does it) painting the slightest hint of a bend with double yellow lines being a bit like the boy that cried wolf. I have been wondering lately if the road marking people have recently had a lot of yellow paint that is nearing its expirey date.

terbang
10th February 2007, 20:43
:shit:yellow lines... what yellow lines
i only see brown ones
but then im colour blind:rofl:
well thats my excuse:whistle:

If you are colur blind then you would also have testicles. :rofl: Colour blindness is only a male thing, though the gene passed to us by our mothers.

Meekey_Mouse
10th February 2007, 21:11
9 Times out of 10 no, but the odd circumstance where I know I can get through safely, or the vehicle I am passing is going super slow. If in me car, I never pass on the yellows.

Same here :yes:

babyB
10th February 2007, 21:15
If you are colur blind then you would also have testicles. :rofl: Colour blindness is only a male thing, though the gene passed to us by our mothers.actualy ... your are wrong females can have colour deficiencys

kevie
11th February 2007, 08:45
I use a fourth option.

Often a driver will pull over when they see a bike approaching or sometimes a lane is easily wide enough to accommodate 2 vehicles.

Mind you have been known to pass on yellows where traffic is jambed during holliday periods.

OOOOHHHHHH I find with my bike they pull over well before I get to them .... but then .... anyone that has followed me on a run will tell you the noise of mu Virago travells at least 100 km ahead of me (And about the same distance behind me) ,.... wwwhhhheeeeeeeeee I love strait pipes :rockon:

kevie
11th February 2007, 08:46
I use a fourth option.

OOOOHHHHHH I find with my bike they pull over well before I get to them .... but then .... anyone that has followed me on a run will tell you the noise of my Virago travells at least 100 km ahead of me (And about the same distance behind me) ,.... wwwhhhheeeeeeeeee I love strait pipes :rockon:

Swoop
11th February 2007, 15:16
Try to avoid crossing yellow lines that keep the paint companies in business...
If I have to stay on one side of the line and close to a cage, then so be it. Hope their mirror dosen't stick out too far........

Toaster
11th February 2007, 16:50
Nah, I may have transgressed in the past, I can't really recall, but I've seen what bodies look like after doing it and getting it all wrong.... not nice. Almost enough to put me off my crumpet.

Bloody Mad Woman (BMW)
11th February 2007, 17:39
There's one piece of road - near Paikok hill - all double yellow lines - and you always get slowpokes, more often than not cars will keep left for bikes to pass and then you don't go over the lines - but on that stretch of road I do go over to them - few close calls with cops but not been pulled up yet.

They have a railing in the middle in some parts of that road - a truck was far left and I thought yep plenty of room - oops forgot I had my panniers on, duh, however I was going very slow and when I heard it scrape on the truck and railing - the anchors went on!!

It's getting the same with road works signs - they do it on a friday nite out of wellington - close off the passing lanes - in built up traffic I use the blocked off lane - collected a cone or two!!

stubby
11th February 2007, 18:01
only for looks , dam dangerous in the wet,

zuk
11th February 2007, 18:19
Crossed my first one today going down the rapa side of the takas--not the sort of thing I would do as a rule-------BUT !!!!!

Daffyd
11th February 2007, 19:18
Only if I can do it without crossing the line.

Guitana
12th February 2007, 08:35
If it's safe and you're stuck behind a bunch of nana's why not!!!

Flyingpony
12th February 2007, 09:08
I never over take on yellows.

I've noticed they are being put everywhere now. They used to signify there was a dip or something important up ahead so you'd stay in your lane because there otherwise there would not be enough distance for all vehicles to stop in time. Now they can be found on perfectly straight or near enough roads, where it's perfectly safe to over take.

scumdog
12th February 2007, 10:25
I never over take on yellows.

Now they can be found on perfectly straight or near enough roads, where it's perfectly safe to over take.

Yeah, maybe for YOU on your motorbike - but not for Mr Cretin in his older smokey 4X4 towing his caravan....nowhere is safe for these guys to overtake but they'll still try..:angry:

Guitana
12th February 2007, 10:31
I had a Rangerover towing a trailer sailer overtake me doing around 140k
so there definitely are some nut jobs out on the roads!!

Flyingpony
12th February 2007, 11:27
Yeah, maybe for YOU on your motorbike
Sorry Mr Scumdog, but my bike for the first time (6th Feb '07) in it's 5 year existence had a trip taking it beyond the city limits :dodge:
My previous comments were based upon experience in said cage of mine.

scumdog
12th February 2007, 11:55
Sorry Mr Scumdog, but my bike for the first time (6th Feb '07) in it's 5 year existence had a trip taking it beyond the city limits :dodge:
My previous comments were based upon experience in said cage of mine.

Understood.:yes:

I guess there are not too many yellow no-passing lines in the city???

-df-
12th February 2007, 12:04
only when I'm on my bike, wont pass on yellow in the car.

Squeak the Rat
12th February 2007, 12:06
If you painted yellow lines at all locations where it would be dangerous for Mr Caravan Tugger, or Ms Daisy-Wannabe to overtake then there would not be one km of white line left in the country.

If I'm close to a blind corner, I know it's not safe to overtake, unless it's a tractor travelling at 10kph. Putting a yellow line there means i cannot do the latter.

Yellow lines should only be used in the situation where the road is deceptive, where it might look ok but there is a dip in the road for instance. Putting them anywhere else is admitting that the system allows people to drive on our road who are not competent to judge speed and distance safely.

Yellow lines today do not mean danger. So I ignore them when I know I will get away with it. Hopefully I don't ignore one of the few that actually do mean danger.......

doc
12th February 2007, 12:18
Sometimes you can. Sort of like stopping for a red light at 3am with no traffic at all on the road waiting for the lights to cycle through. Happens in Papakura regularly for me. Some of the no passing lines I'm sure haven't been looked at from a riders perspective, but easier I guess 1 rule for all too complicated to do anything about it.

Lou Girardin
12th February 2007, 16:37
Yellow lines are being used as a traffic control measure. Not, as originally intended, as a road safety warning.
So, who obeys traffic control measures?
Especially when a bike can overtake so much faster than the 1948 Morris 10 that Transit use as an acceleration model.

Smorg
12th February 2007, 18:53
I got past on the yellow lines out at Riverhead on sunday in my cage by a cock knocker in a white WRX he almost took out a guy on a Bronze SV coming the other way who gave him the appropriate symbol of his gratitude.

I pass only if its safe and you can see plenty of road in front of you

SPman
12th February 2007, 19:52
As always - if it is not safe to pass within the visible distance ahead - I don't pass, yellow or not. If the way is clear and it is safe to pass, I will - yellows or not!

kro
12th February 2007, 20:57
When I got my license, the bit down the bottom of the form that I was supposed to hand back to the teller said "tear along the dotted line", so that's what I do.

Krusti
13th February 2007, 07:51
It's not so much the yellow lines, it's those three rows of cats eyes!

Ever tried lane splitting on them in the wet?

I haven't but can imagine.....:innocent:

PZR
13th February 2007, 11:15
When I got my license, the bit down the bottom of the form that I was supposed to hand back to the teller said "tear along the dotted line", so that's what I do.

LOL
very good you have made my day (and god knows it needs something)