PDA

View Full Version : Oggie knobs

Fat Tony
10th February 2007, 20:29
I noticed some of you guys calling crash protectors 'Oggie knobs'... just wondered why the name? Is 'Oggie' a brand name, a racer's name, slang for something, urmmmm..? I'm running out of ideas now

James Deuce
10th February 2007, 20:31
Brand Name.

Fat Tony
10th February 2007, 20:37
Cheers Jim. That'll make for a short thread then :lol:

I was hoping for lengthy tales of some legendary bike ace who they were named after... any chance we could forget the brand name thing and you go away and make something more exciting up?

Back Fire
10th February 2007, 20:47
Just New Zealanders Idolising Australians... (Oggy Knobs are australian made/brand crash protectors...)

Colapop
10th February 2007, 21:10
Have a gander at the DMNTD down thread - He's got 'em on the Pokemon. They saved a bit of damage.

Fat Tony
11th February 2007, 01:29
Yup, don't leave home without your knobs

I learnt the hard way... it took writing-off an SV to learn that the first mod you should make to a bike is a decent set of protectors.

sAsLEX
11th February 2007, 06:55
Yup, don't leave home without your knobs

I learnt the hard way... it took writing-off an SV to learn that the first mod you should make to a bike is a decent set of protectors.

We could start the age old knob argument of knobs getting caught in the dirt and turning a simple lie down and slide in to a tumbling terror........

But to be honest that situation, though possible, is less likely than the more common forget to put foot down when stopping or lost footing on the gravel no speed drop!

Fat Tony
11th February 2007, 07:15
We could start the age old knob argument of knobs getting caught in the dirt and turning a simple lie down and slide in to a tumbling terror........

A knob argument you say? :shit: Mind if I decline? :lol:

Unit
11th February 2007, 07:32
If you put some on make sure they are of really hard compound. The ZX10s right fairing would be in a very different state if we didnt have them on, Ive heard negatives about them flipping bikes etc but in our case they really did their job. Better to replace $200 knobs than $3000 fairing

Smorg
11th February 2007, 09:21
Just New Zealanders Idolising Australians... (Oggy Knobs are australian made/brand crash protectors...)

The way it should be then

pritch
11th February 2007, 09:25
Better to replace $200 knobs than $3000 fairing

I had Sato Racing frame sliders on the Hornet but the good ones for the VFR seem to be close to $700. These don't require holes drilled in the fairing and the brackets protect the radiators. A nice item but $700 is a sizable wedge though, about the same as my insurance premium this year.

NinjaBoy
11th February 2007, 09:53
I had Sato Racing frame sliders on the Hornet but the good ones for the VFR seem to be close to $700. These don't require holes drilled in the fairing and the brackets protect the radiators. A nice item but $700 is a sizable wedge though, about the same as my insurance premium this year.

$700 sounds a bit excessive but if it has fancy no-cut brackets this can up the price. I've used R&G racing ones and they worked a treat. And this included getting caught on the ripple strip somersault :bye:

What they do is minimise the damage to a patch/re-spray or some simple welding.

Fat Tony
11th February 2007, 19:50
I've used R&G racing ones and they worked a treat. And this included getting caught on the ripple strip somersault :bye:

R&G have the market share here. Great kit :niceone:

HenryDorsetCase
11th February 2007, 21:12
dont forget the local dude who makes them. Trev Porter at F1 Engineering. Keep a kiwi in a job, buy his ones.!