PDA

View Full Version : Builder's help needed

Brian d marge
11th February 2007, 01:20
Just your opinion onn what Should have been done

we live in a concrete bunker ( mansion in JApan ) ,,and we had acute black mould in the toilet ..

So , housing company came ,,said they would fix said problem ...

anyway took out wall revealing a space 2m x 2m ..one ( the left hand wall is concrete ( poured ).. ) the other walls ( far wall ) was ply 5mm no insulation against concrete ( I think ) the right handside wall was 5mm ply ( on the otherside there was the electrical meters and a steel door )

Roof of this space was uninsulated 5mm ply ..

shit I know

But what would one do to fix the mould

Me I would seal the concrete with mould inhibitor sealant , use that balck tar paper Then insulation then Jib or ply ..

on the walls with no concrete I would seal outside by paint , then insulation between and a mould resistant sear on the inside

These are not load bearing walls ,,,

Any Ideas ..Can post photo if needed

Stephen

How they fixed it was by using a spray to kill mould and replace the wall I see with an insulated wall ( inch thick polystyrene )

It was free as the housing company paid ,,,but its my friends building ,,and I feel sorry for him as I think he is being shafted

PPS ..I know ZIP about all matters building ,,,( I did replace a tap washer once...)

Crisis management
11th February 2007, 07:54
Dunno whether I'm talking to you yet...I haven't forgiven myself for not seeing thru that troll you did on engineering machining tolerances a couple of weeks ago. :angry:

However....depends on what is generating the mould in the first place. Is it moisture coming in from the outside (leaks) or moisture trapped from the inside (poor ventilation, condensation).
From the repair you describe it sounds like trapped moisture / condensation, and the use of a sealant to the concrete surface followed by 25mm polystyrene insulation sounds reasonable to me.
As long as the insulation is complete (covers all external surfaces) it should prevent any more condensation forming & mould growing.

Can you ventilate the room? If there is no external window then a 150mm dia fan run on with the light switch and with an overrun timer for say 5 minutes after the switch is off should provide sufficient air changes to get rid of moisture.

Hope that helps.

Colapop
11th February 2007, 09:29
I'd start with a dehumidifier or positive air pressure system. The majority of indoor mould problems are created by 'living' moisture ie. moisture generated by bodies, cooking, washing - general household occurences. A positive air pressure system is something like DVS (www.dvs.co.nz). Basically a fan outside the living space blowing air in to create slightly greater pressure inside than out. Air flows out through natural openings etc and takes moisture with it. Maybe a decent air conditioner would do the job but it must have a dehumdifer incorporated.

If the framing and linings are already deeply affected by mould you can replace them though this is an expesive option. If mould doesn't have moisture (fungus thrives in warm wet atmospheres) then it'll have a hard time growing.

...and CM - you're still not sure if you're talking to him yet? Get him to buy you some flowers and chocolates... then give him a BJ in the car on the way home - you'll both feel better about things....

Crisis management
11th February 2007, 09:58
...and CM - you're still not sure if you're talking to him yet? Get him to buy you some flowers and chocolates... then give him a BJ in the car on the way home - you'll both feel better about things....

Gee thanks Cola pop, I never thought of the kiss and make up option.....I'm obviously not as new age and sensitive as I thought. :sick:

Anyone in Wellington want to take a contract, big target, hard to miss????

Colapop
11th February 2007, 10:49
I can help with that contract...

Crisis management
11th February 2007, 12:30
I can help with that contract...

Now its not going to be easy but I'm prepared to pay $20 upon completion.....just PM me when you've been successful.

(You'll find some helpful techniques if you gargle "euthenasia")

Looking forward to the PM, I've got the whole $20 infront of me now!

Hitcher
11th February 2007, 12:41
Ahh. Home implovement.

avgas
11th February 2007, 12:47
Fibreglass the fucker like a big bandaid

Brian d marge
11th February 2007, 13:24
Dunno whether I'm talking to you yet...I haven't forgiven myself for not seeing thru that troll you did on engineering machining tolerances a couple of weeks ago. :angry:

Hope that helps.

THat wasnt a troll ..It was a genuine question .. At my age .. its all beyond me

Wether they used a sealant I dont know , I think they just glued the polystyrene to the ply and then only used it on 2 walls

Stephen

who recieved and infraction for posting in the wrong forum ??

shafty
11th February 2007, 13:55
Before you paint, check out www.penetron.com It's MAGIC!