PDA

View Full Version : Top boxes - Who's got them?

Genesismatrix
11th February 2007, 13:46
Im looking at getting a top box for my FXR150 next month.

To be honest Im thinking of them like car boot space. The bigger capacity the better right? Im looking at a 45ltr Givi (ROAD GIBXE450N - Top Box E450 Simply Matt Black) and these retail on Motomail for $269.00. Is this box going to be too big?

Does anyone else out there have a top box? Is it worth it? and what size is yours and how bigs your bike.

thehollowmen
11th February 2007, 14:02
I've got one.
You can't hold spare shoes in them because they take forever to de-orderise again (they're well sealed) but otherwise they're fantastic.

They aren't supposed to be good for heavy items at high speed because the items can shift from side to side and the jolting can upset your cornering. They also store the weight ousdie the 'loading triangle' (area between frount and rear axils and top of head). When touring I try and pack the heavier items in my saddle bags.

Edit I've got a 47 L one I think on a DL650 (which is a really wide bike)

Nasty
11th February 2007, 14:13
you don't want a big topbox on an fxr .. it might destabilise the thing a little ... for my fxr I went with oxford panniers .. they worked great .. and for my shoes I put them in a plastic bag before the pannier to contain any smells :)

Genesismatrix
11th February 2007, 15:11
you don't want a big topbox on an fxr .. it might destabilise the thing a little ... for my fxr I went with oxford panniers .. they worked great .. and for my shoes I put them in a plastic bag before the pannier to contain any smells :)

So if a 47L is too big for my wee bike what is a better size?

Nasty
11th February 2007, 15:15
So if a 47L is too big for my wee bike what is a better size?

I didn't say it was too big .. just said you don't want something big .. expecially on an fxr I had one for over a year .... the panniers option brings the weight balance in if they are used properly ... it was a different option rather than a single one :) - Nasty

deathstar
11th February 2007, 15:17
well generally what a lot of people look at from my work perspective (red baron) that the e30 givi top box is about 32 litres and is perfect for the everyday run or there are the oxford "first time" panniers which are about the same litre wise and both come in at about $110 depending where you shop of course

Genesismatrix
11th February 2007, 15:46
32 ltr sounds okay I just dont want to shootmy self in the foot in to long run getting too small. I just need somthing I can carry paperwork to and from work and put the odd groceries in. Im just worried that if i get something too small im going to limit my options in the long term.

My bike its self is just a round town commuter. I dont plan on touring with it im just sick of having to drive the cage just becuase i need to pick somthing up on the way home.

Disco Dan
11th February 2007, 16:26
...you gotta have a top box! ! !

they are soooooo handy !

But yeah... a water bottle loose drives me nuts on the corners.... :innocent:

dont put anything toooo heavy in there though... mine takes 2 full face helmets.

...oh and they leave really big red marks when your bike slides along the ground...

Beemer
11th February 2007, 16:29
I had one on my Beemer and it was brilliant. When I stopped, I could fit my helmet, jacket, gloves, etc in it. Or I could fit a fair few groceries! (The day I had two salt lick blocks for the sheep in it and decided to take the long way home wasn't a good day... by the time I got home, the plastic bag they were in had slid from side to side and worn a hole in it so there was a lot less block than before...) Not sure what size it was but it was a big one - not quite big enough to fit two helmets side by side, but close.

I wouldn't have considered one so large on the RG150, I just had an expandable tank bag for that, plus soft panniers for travelling. I've now got an expandable seat bag for the Goose and that works really well.

Zapf
11th February 2007, 16:36
Top boxes are great.... I have had 35~52L ones. the larger ones will take 2 helmets. But I would think even the 35L ones be a bit too big for the 150... however it'll work. Just not perfect...!

Genesismatrix
11th February 2007, 17:55
probably a stupid question I know but what makes a top box to big. Is it the drag they cause after all a FXR150 isnt exactly a speed machine. Do larger boxes effect the handling that much or is it just when they get full / heavy with an uneven load.

Maha
11th February 2007, 20:25
probably a stupid question I know but what makes a top box to big. Is it the drag they cause after all a FXR150 isnt exactly a speed machine. Do larger boxes effect the handling that much or is it just when they get full / heavy with an uneven load.

Heres mine.....it a 36 Ltr........on a 955 Sprint, dont use it that often, only when we stay away

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=41700

Disco Dan
11th February 2007, 20:38

really hard crosswinds can be annoying, the worst thing is leaving a heavy bottle of coke free to rattle around in it... scares the poo right out of me when you flick over and bang goes the bottle and gives you a push!

...mine has a large piece of foam in the bottom to keep things still.

I dont care if it looks silly/stupid/geye etc etc... it's sooooo bloody handy I hardly take it off now!

ceebie13
11th February 2007, 20:52
No way...hideous things.... second only to a pack rack. Even if thay are practical, I wouldnt want to spoil the look of my bike! Don't let me stop you though. Enjoy!

Edbear
11th February 2007, 21:05
I got a 30lt Givi on special for $99 a couple years ago and it fits my 600 well. Don't put anything too heavy in it or it causes headshake, (the bike not me...), at about 70km/h.

Anything more I need to take I put in a backpack and strap it to the pillion seat. When me and Mrs. Edbear went to Whangarei we just travelled light!

Edbear
11th February 2007, 21:09
...oh and they leave really big red marks when your bike slides along the ground...

Oh dear! Does this mean those spare fairing panels you got will be required after all? Hope you and sunhuntin are okay!

terbang
11th February 2007, 21:21
I've got one on my Ute, oops I mean my 400 for work. Awesome piece of kit.

Gremlin
12th February 2007, 01:42
I have no idea what the size of the one on my hornet is... ask Zapf, he would know.

Carry plenty of stuff in it, very practical, but it can't take a helmet... if that helps sizing. I hardly notice its even there, even when fully loaded...

headshake comment is interesting... and might explain why I get it when I ride no hands, or am standing on the footpegs with no hands :innocent:

geoffm
12th February 2007, 18:17
Had one for 10-15 years or so - I got it from the UK as they weren't available here then (easily). Paid for itself many times over, especially for commuting. Make sure it can take your helmet - try it in the shop before you buy.
Mine is a (don't laugh) "Charlie on the road" brand. Naff name, but it has been a good top box.
Geoff

Disco Dan
12th February 2007, 18:25
oh just a small tip for using top-boxes... dont put glass bottles in there... they do break... and red bull energy drink makes everything pretty sticky... :yes:

Zapf
13th February 2007, 00:12
I have no idea what the size of the one on my hornet is... ask Zapf, he would know.

Carry plenty of stuff in it, very practical, but it can't take a helmet... if that helps sizing. I hardly notice its even there, even when fully loaded...

Try it now. Now that I have the document holders removed Its a 36L box. I did my grand challange with it on the back thru some pretty wicked wind, and hardly noticed it was there too. But keep in mind that is on a 198kg CB900.