PDA

View Full Version : Trail ride on adventure bike

CBobR
11th February 2007, 14:31
My middle name being "Inappropriate", I thought I'd go on the Okaihau Big Rock charity trail bike ride on my adventure bike (Dakar, TKC80s)

It was fun, I'm a novice but the bike did okay the first lap, the bike and I did okay on he first half of the second lap, then it started raining. The clay hill near the end had me beaten after the rain and I needed a /lot/ of help to get up
(cheers all those that helped me push). I was less ashamed of my effort when the hill became a traffic jam of trail bikes struggling for traction.

The third lap (I'm a slow learner :o ) was tough as I had lost a lot of confidence after the rain, the other bike I saw with a no. plate, a TTR600 was also having a tricky time with the wet (less so than me).
A few people commented that I probably would have had a much easier time if it had stayed dry.
*edit* I should mention that I stuck to the "novice" trail only, I was told that the "intermediate" stuff may have been passible on my bike with a good rider, but the "expert" stuff would have taken an awesome rider to get through easily.

Sorry no good photos, just my bike (indicator had a bad time), and the guys I rode with Nigel on the KLX300R and Gavin on the Husqvarna TE450.

NordieBoy
11th February 2007, 15:10
:Punk: Good on 'ya.

I'm tempted to take the DR to one of the local "Laid Back" Trail Rides this year instead of the XR250.

Henk
11th February 2007, 18:46
I've done a bit of easy woodhill trail riding and an even smaller amout of super easy riverhead stuff on my TTR600. It can be done but they are heavy bikes in those situations.
Hats off to you for taking the Dakar.

Crisis management
12th February 2007, 08:25
Thanks for the write up, I am similarily a n00b at off road and have been to scared to venture out to trail rides on my own yet......shocking really at my age!
So, it obviously can be done, anyone else in Auckland want to join in making a public spectacle of themselves??
Any suggestions as to suitable venues welcomed.

PLUG
12th February 2007, 09:15
Good effort CBobR ... it's something i've pondered doing, suspect it's beyond my limits when it get narley ... only one way to find out really ...

chris
12th February 2007, 09:37
A few people commented that I probably would have had a much easier time if it had stayed dry.
I was told that the "intermediate" stuff may have been passible on my bike with a good rider

You'd fit in well at KR! As for those two comments above, a good set of knobbies would of sufficed.

CBobR
12th February 2007, 12:10
Cheers all.
Talking to Gavin who's done a few organised trail rides, they vary in difficulty quite a lot, so would be worth asking around for an easier one to start with. My second lap was so much fun though , knowing where I could hit the crests fast and get a bit of air. I had a session at lunch re-tightning the fairing and chain adjustment bolts.

Yesterday was the first time I've felt that I needed more grip than the TKCs could give, but comparing the bikes' rear tyres in the photos it's clear that there is a big difference between them and a proper knobbly. I also ride the Dakar on the road a lot, so I can't afford to put on a more agressive tyre.

The only bad point about the day was that I would help push a 100kg bike up a hill, then some poor kind person would try to help me push my 180kg bike up the hill, so I felt a bit bad. Having a buddy on a similarly heavy bike would have been ideal.

...any jobs going chris? :)

chris
12th February 2007, 12:59
any jobs going chris? :)
Sorry, we'll add you to a long list of hopefuls. You may like our Mangawhai adventure ride in April however. E-mail me if you'd like to know more chris@kiwirider.co.nz

takitimu
12th February 2007, 16:33
Yesterday was the first time I've felt that I needed more grip than the TKCs could give, but comparing the bikes' rear tyres in the photos it's clear that there is a big difference between them and a proper knobbly. I also ride the Dakar on the road a lot, so I can't afford to put on a more agressive tyre.

I'm not so sure about big, that was pretty greasy & the Dakar looked good climbing on grass/normal dirt, real good actually, it'd have been interesting to see how they went in the bog ( where all the grass in my back tire came from ) on the intermediate track.

I didn't make one spot you had trouble with on my 2nd loop either & pretty well every time through there was a quad in trouble there.

It looked to me like the tires were fine unless you ended up on wet hard clay going slow ( not always many options there ) & you were far from the only person struggling with that :), it was definitely exciting with very little grip.

As an aside, the "novice" loop was alot more slippery than the intermediate, those clay tracks turned to "ice" with all the riders & some rain, making it different but just as difficult as the intermediate track which had alot less traffic.

Nice photo's BTW, catch you on the next ride.

Cheers

Nigel

CBobR
12th February 2007, 16:57
I'm not so sure about big, that was pretty greasy & the Dakar looked good climbing on grass/normal dirt, real good actually,

I was trying to use the tyres to shift attention away from my lack of skills :). I reckon you or Gav on my bike would have blitzed the novice course. They did do very well as you say, especially considering they give enough grip to scrape pegs on seal, and last over 3000km. Look forward to seeing you on the next one,... assuming the forecast is dry :o.

Have seen and noted the Mangawhai ad in KR chris, I'm keen, but badly organised so will wait a bit to book. Cheers

Henk
12th February 2007, 19:29
I could be in. Next time you are planning to do a trail ride on adventure bikes PM me and I'll see if I'm able to punt the 600 round a trail ride.
I've thought about doing it occasionaly, but I have a real dirt bike as well and have always opted for the less weight more power option.

clint640
13th February 2007, 07:25
Good Effort! People think I'm nuts taking the 640 on a trail ride & she's almost 40kg lighter than your dakar! I've got a set of proper knobblys, cheap Kendas that I swap on for trail rides, makes a huge difference & it's good to stay in practice at changing tyres, just mark your road tyres so they can be put back on in the same place & stay balanced.

I usually stick to the easier rides though, Nick Reader's Epic Events Rides around here are usually pretty good for a big bike if you stay off the expert loops.

Cheers
Clint