PDA

View Full Version : Which should I get???

ht2531
11th February 2007, 14:52
Hey just wondering if I could get some advise? Wanting to get back into riding and only got my restricted so was wanting to a 250 justing wanting to know what people think i should get?

I can pick up a Honda NSR250 for $5000 (Not sure about the 2 stroke)

Or should i get a 04/05 Suzuki GSX250

Or should i just buy a brand new Hyosung GT250r.

There is also the Honda CBR250R but I don't want to really get a 17 yr old bike though.

Suggestions ???

CBobR
11th February 2007, 15:21
What is you riding history (offroad etc), and what are you going to be using the bike for (commuting, sundays)?

I'm a bit of a Honda nazi, my 15 year old CBR250RR has not had a single problem in the 5 years I've owned it (and I don't give it the easiest time), where my newer bikes have.

Seraph
11th February 2007, 15:29
There's always the newer zxr's and mc22's to consider if you want a sporty il4, but for the money you'd pay for a mint 1 it's most likely not worth it ($5000-$6000) just for a year. imo, a 2 stroke requires far too much maintenance let alone the price you pay for 2-stroke oil ontop of petrol.
Bandits, baliuses etc are fine if you don't mind having a naked bike and produce more power than the hyo and gsx, you'll pick one up for around $3500-$4000 for a more recent model (93-95ish) in reasonable to excellent conditon...

kickingzebra
11th February 2007, 17:35
How much do you want to ride it, what sort of riding? Hard and fast, or more just cruise around? To work every day, or weekend thrashes, etc...

If it is every day, and you are not after peak performance, go any of those 250s, whichever you like the look of really.

If you want to thrash it to within an inch of its life, you'll appreciate the NSR.... Depending on what you used to ride of course.

avgas
11th February 2007, 17:51
i personally would get the gt250, cos the look is new, then engine is new a nice setup.
As far as the cheapness of components on it - if your gonna whine about that when get a KDX :)

ht2531
11th February 2007, 19:00
Just used to ride a dual purpose bike years ago on the farm and to town and stuff before i got a car.
Looking for a reasonably fast bike to ride everyday to work which is a 50km round trip. And will be taking it for long rides on most weekends.

Really keen on the NSR250, but am not worried bout spending the extra money for the hyosung gt250r cos of the warranty and looks but I'm concerned about build quality.Was thinking it was safer to stay with the big brands.

Looking to keep it for a while so I learn to ride well on the a small bike before i get up to the big stuff.

kickingzebra
11th February 2007, 20:23
NSRs etc are fun as anything, but use heaps of gas (used to regularly get 10 km per litre out of mine, sometimes much worse) and they do need the odd rebuild. Strokers need to be ridden like you stole it if they are to go properly, so to work and back, a longish trip, and ridden hardish, should do you OK, but they coke up too easily if you don't fang them enough. The other bikes are all good too, depends on what you like the look off really, performance isn't too disparate. Search for hyosung on KB, and they are discussed quite in depth. I would happily own one.

Theatre
13th February 2007, 11:08
You should consider the 150 2 strokes, they're newer than the 250 smokers and go quite cheaply compared to 4 strokes. I get good mileage on mine, usually between 25-30km/L, depending on how much you twist your right hand and they'll be quicker than either the hyosung or the GSX250. Besides, having power all over the powerband is overrated :p

dvsdavis
15th February 2007, 17:34
anyone got a kr 150 for sale, saw one today looked hot!