PDA

View Full Version : Passes ride daily updates and photos...

RedKLR650
11th February 2007, 19:57
Hi all,

I've (REDKLR650) been designated scribe for the first day of the passes ride tour. I was only along for the middle part of todays leg at this stage, but took a few shots and will attach to this and the next few postings....

Part 1

The team of Ruralman, Jantar, and Fleethaul alone with a couple of North Island guys off the Adventurerder webite, Spanzy and Duck01 from near Palmerston North, travelled as a group from Dunedin along with a group of kiwibiker Dunedin tarmac riders and met up with timg, REDKLR650 & XF650 inland from Ikawai.

The tarmac riders then headed on to Kurow while we carried on to Waihou Downs where we turned onto a really fun windy sealed road on the way to the entrance to Myers Pass for a very scenic crossing over the farms in low cloud.

Pic a shows ( left to right ) Ruralman, XF650, timg, Jantar, Spanzy ( off Adventurerider site ), Fleethaul & Duck01 ( off Adventurerider site).

Pic b is of a few riders heading west in a valley after Meyers Pass

Pic c is few of the guys crossing the historic bridge

More to come... :scooter:

NighthawkNZ
11th February 2007, 20:06
kewl... being one of your so called tarmac riders... here is what panned out after the two groups split...

February 11th 2007 my ride for the day

My report of the day trip with the South Island Passes Tour
http://quantumillusions.com/biker/?q=node/88

RedKLR650
11th February 2007, 20:20
kewl... being one of your so called tarmac riders...

Sorry Nighthawk, didn't mean to offend.... :dodge: :innocent: :shit: :doh:

Very extensive writeup by the way..... Very good :-)

NighthawkNZ
11th February 2007, 20:24
Sorry Nighthawk, didn't mean to offend.... :dodge: :innocent: :shit: :doh:

Very extensive writeup by the way..... Very good :-)

hahha no offence taken... cause tis true was a tarmac rider today... and thanx about the write up...

great photos... and keep us updated with the rest of the tour (Ride safe) Would be great if you could add some of your writings to NZ Biker as well..

Virago
11th February 2007, 20:35
Photo of the Pass Riders prior to departure from Dunedin.

timg
11th February 2007, 20:50
Nice pix Stu. Thanks for your company today. I'd be a starter if you want to do that track to the TV transmitter one sunny Sunday. Cheers, Tim.

RedKLR650
11th February 2007, 21:04
Photo of the Pass Riders prior to departure from Dunedin.

Good shot there Virago, helps make up the story :-)

laRIKin
11th February 2007, 21:07
We were waiting for them at the Back Packerd (SDU and I) as they turned up, and went around the block and up a dead end street.:scooter:
So waved them in, to the Marine Back Packers at about 8 O'Clock.
Had a beer and them they went off for a feed and we headed home.:drinkup:
All fit and well, just hungry and tired after a long ride. :2thumbsup
One of them took an alternative route.:shutup:

RedKLR650
11th February 2007, 21:42
great photos... Would be great if you could add some of your writings to NZ Biker as well..

Here's a few more snaps ( part 2 as it were )

We wandered through Myers, where I had a wee moment, thinking the road went the opposite way to which it actually did after a bend, and I think Spanzy ( one of the ADV riders ) was a bit surprised too see me pass him only to brake heavily, head off the road and do a 180 degree spin in slow motion on the wet grass in front of him. Talk about a toilet moment, I was crapping myself watching the fence rapidly approaching, and it was all he could do not to pee himself while laughing :shit:

Attached are a few pix of the boys heading through the pass then over the bridge across the Hakataramea river towards the major of the passes on todays leg. :scooter:

fleethaul
11th February 2007, 21:56
Hi Guys

Trip from GeraLdine to ChCh uneventful, took Thompsons track to Rakaia, then turned off
to Leeston and took the short cut via Coes Ford to Motukarara.

Mandatory stops and photos at Gebbies, Dyers, and Evans Passes.
Will post some pics tomorrow from Picton.

Met up with SDU and Plug for beer and a yak at the backpackers.

Jeff

RedKLR650
11th February 2007, 22:04
Nice pix Stu. Cheers, Tim.
OK there Tim, here's a few more, some even featuring yourself :yes: :scooter:

RedKLR650
11th February 2007, 22:19
Hi Guys
Trip from GeraLdine to ChCh uneventful, Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Great to meet you today, let me know if you're ever passing through SC and fancy an off road fix :gob:

A couple more shots showing the trip to Haka Pass :dodge:

For others reading this, riding a shingle pass gets interesting when the local campervan club decides to try the crossing from the other direction on the smae day, seemed like hundreds, but probably only 20 or 30.....

Stu

XF650
11th February 2007, 22:27
Was great to hook up with the Passes Ride today.
Heaps of dusty gravel to test my (lack of) riding skills.
The adventure bikes were in their element & even Spanzy on the 1200 Bandit seemed to be enjoying himself.

All the best & safe journey for the rest of the trip you guys.

RedKLR650
11th February 2007, 23:00
Heaps of dusty gravel to test my (lack of) riding skills.
The adventure bikes were in their element & even Spanzy on the 1200 Bandit seemed to be enjoying himself.
All the best & safe journey for the rest of the trip you guys.

You did fine and I think you discovered the greatest incentive to improve your riding skills to the next level.......

It stops you being the one with the dusty yellow jacket at the end of the ride !!! :rockon:

And you're right, Spanzy really did excell himself on the 1200, he was like a kid at a party, having a great time :Punk:

You did well, keep practising, use any excuse for a shingle spin, and you'll be passing me in no time :dodge:

Cheers, Stu

RedKLR650
12th February 2007, 00:16
We were waiting for them at the Back Packerd (SDU and I) as they turned up, and went around the block and up a dead end street.:scooter: So waved them in, to the Marine Back Packers at about 8 O'Clock.Had a beer and them they went off for a feed and we headed home.:drinkup: All fit and well, just hungry and tired after a long ride. :2thumbsup One of them took an alternative route.:shutup:

Thanks for meeting the crew Lemans :drinkup:

Here's a few more shots from the day, Haka pass through to Little Pass ( bit of a dispute as to the actual location of Little Pass. Lost Mt Cook ??? Then down the road to McKenzie pass ( Monument and actual Pass )

Stu

RedKLR650
12th February 2007, 00:21
Heaps of dusty gravel

Spot the guy in the "Yellow " Jacket :rockon:

All the best for the rest of the trip guys

The last of todays pix

McKenzie Monument to the actual pass, then on to Burkes Pass Village, up to the Pass then off to Fairlie for Fuel.

Thanks to all for a great day out

Regards, Stu :scooter:

cooneyr
12th February 2007, 07:13
Awesome ride guys. Would love to join you but thems the breaks. Hope Lemans, SDU and Plug treated you well yesterday. Keep the photos coming.

Cheers R

clint640
12th February 2007, 07:29
Great stuff, keep it coming! That pic with the bikes, dust & powerpoles is a goodie.

Cheers
Clint

MyGSXF
12th February 2007, 07:51
AWESOME piccys REDKLR650!!!!!!! looks like the boys are having a fantastic time!!!! :Punk:

Jantar
12th February 2007, 07:55
I've managed to find a few minutes on a computer while I'm waiting to check out of the backpackers. The others have all headed into Christchurch to find a motorbike shop. Nothing serious, just some gloves that don't fit and a missing bolt from Ruralman's exhaust guard.

Day 1 was brilliant riding and we all had a good time. Many thanks to those riders who joined in for part of the trip and to the SDU and LeMans for meeting us for a beer last night.

I believe we may have another rider meeting us in Murchison and riding through to Picton where we will meet up with Zurkin and the Ride for Life group.

Somehow we'll keep the news coming.

SDU
12th February 2007, 09:26
It was good to meet up with you guys last night, with Lemans. Pity it wasn't for part of the ride.
It'll be great if you keep us posted when you can.
So far the reports & pics are looking good.
Safe trip & hope the weather stays dry.

Frodo
12th February 2007, 18:04
RedKLR
Excellent photos! Makes me nostalgic for those roads and its only last month that I was travelling on them. Have to do it again, next time with company. And thanks Jantar, it was your idea that set me off on my trip.
Looking forward to the next pics. Hope the weather holds.
Can you give us a summary of the bikes on the trip - I don't recognise some of them.
Thanks

timg
12th February 2007, 18:24
I've managed to find a few minutes on a computer while I'm waiting to check out of the backpackers. The others have all headed into Christchurch to find a motorbike shop. Nothing serious, just some gloves that don't fit and a missing bolt from Ruralman's exhaust guard.

Day 1 was brilliant riding and we all had a good time. Many thanks to those riders who joined in for part of the trip and to the SDU and LeMans for meeting us for a beer last night.
Hi Jantar, Yes it was a great ride and great to meet you guys. Being a newby I learned heaps from you all. Thanks for all the advice. All the best for the balance of the trip. Cheers.

RedKLR650
12th February 2007, 20:13
RedKLR, Excellent photos! Can you give us a summary of the bikes on the trip - I don't recognise some of them. Thanks

OK, left to right - Spanzy ( ADV rider site ) beside a borrowed Suzuki Bandit 1200 !!! , then me - REDKLR650, and you can guess what I bought along :scooter: then it's Ruralman with his blue 2001 Honda 600 Transalp, then XF650 on ( you guessed it ), his silver and blue XF650, then Fleethaul beside his blue BMW F650 Dakar, then Duck01 ( ADV rider site) with his black Triumph Tiger ( not sure what cc ) and the last two are timg ( orange reflectors on jacket ) with his brand new ( currently less than 2000km on the clock ) 2007 Burgandy Honda XL650V Transalp, and holding the team together on the end is the legendary Jantar with his burgandy 2006 V-Strom

Whew..... :shit:

Hope that answers your question :whocares:

Stu :nono:

NordieBoy
12th February 2007, 20:23
Doh!

Jantar fall down.
Strom tired, need rest.

:rockon: :scooter:

oldrider
12th February 2007, 20:57
Doh!

Jantar fall down.
Strom tired, need rest.

:rockon: :scooter:

WTF, NordieBoy?

You have completely lost me with the above! :scratch: John.

NordieBoy
12th February 2007, 21:13
I took a photo and have annotated it for the hard of comprehension.

timg
12th February 2007, 21:26
Oh shite! :shit: Hope both are OK.

oldrider
12th February 2007, 21:30

Funny sketch!

Where did you hear about that? Was he hurt? (apart from his pride) I must be getting blinder, I haven't seen such a post! :confused: John.

NordieBoy
12th February 2007, 21:57
He hasn't posted it... Yet.

They're both fine, it was a -2Kph crash :D

Damn a loaded Strom is heavy.

warewolf
12th February 2007, 23:20
They're both fine, it was a -2Kph crash :D:sunny: He said he inadvertently beached the bike on a rock... no drive so slid back down the hill.

As opposed to yours truly, who crashed at 30km/h and ripped off some paint and a pillion footpeg.

When I left them at the Irish pub Seamus's in Picton, they were all up dancing a jig :drinkup: :woohoo: and having a merry old time.

Nice to join in the fun, even for just a short while.:yes:

laRIKin
13th February 2007, 06:15
Met up with SDU and Plug for beer and a yak at the backpackers.

Hope Lemans, SDU and Plug treated you well yesterday.

Just a small correction, Plug did not turn up.:scratch:
And I thought that he was going to be riding in with them.:spudwhat:
Even sent him a TXT to try and get a ETA, no answer so must have been real busy.:corn:

NordieBoy
13th February 2007, 07:55
:sunny: He said he inadvertently beached the bike on a rock... no drive so slid back down the hill.
My post was going to be about a beached whale spotted in the Nelson foothills :innocent:

As opposed to yours truly, who crashed at 30km/h and ripped off some paint and a pillion footpeg.
But more importantly, did it get dirty?

When I left them at the Irish pub Seamus's in Picton, they were all up dancing a jig :drinkup: :woohoo: and having a merry old time.
Hope you bought the musicians a drink.

Don't think much of stromdust.
That thing kicks up heaps :scooter:

And on the way back I did not have a race with a green van all the way from Havlock to Nelson :innocent:

Good day out :Punk:

MyGSXF
13th February 2007, 14:25
Hullo there.. I've not long got home, after leaving the Southern clan in Blenheim this morning!

I rode to Murchison yesterday to meet the group supposidly at 1pm.. they arrived about 1.55.. :shutup: (& yet it's always the bloody MALES complaining of having to 'wait' for their female counterparts! :dodge: )

Stopped in Murch for a bite to eat & cuppa, then the off road boys went back off road again, & Spanzy & I enjoyed a quick trip through to wait at the Kawatiri turnoff, for the others to come out again. Followed by another quick trip up & over the Hope Saddle, & onto meet up with warewolf & NordieBoy in Nelson. ww & NB took the boys up & over the Maungatapu track to come out at Pelorus Bridge (where there were a few moments of lads being separated from their machines...) while Spanzy & I had another VERY enjoyable wee BLAT!!! up & over the Whangamoas.. where I thoroughly enjoyed a heeeeap of bootscraping!!! YEEEFERKINHAAA!! Met the others again at Havelock, where Spanzy & I then had to endure an 'hours wait'.. over a niiiiiiice cold Kahlua... :innocent: at the pub! (don't ya hate it when that happens...) Here we also met up with fellow KB'r Jafar, on his 06 CB1300, all the way from Waiuku!! He's part of the Honda Club doing a big tour of the South Island, starting in Picton today!

From there we had a rather damp & slow 'nana ride' round the Queen Charlotte road, which I really did not enjoy in the slightest! :angry: The rain was running down the inside of my visor as much as the outside, & coz of lack of speed, the bloody thing kept fogging up.. even though it was open, & then the eyes were streaming as much as it was bloody raining... :thud: so was rather glad to make it to our distination in Picton, The Villa Backpackers, at about 8pm! What a gorgeous place!! would definatley recommend it if ya needing accommodation in Picton! Met up there with Steve the Auzzie, & Richard the American who are on a month or so long tour of the country!! I'm sure the boys will fill ya in with all the details bout these two characters!!

Anyway, quick change out of wet leathers, & headed off to a classic little Irish pub.. Seamus's! What a cracker place, complete with live Irish music playing!!! Here we met up with Zukin (Scott & Carissa & their lovely daughter) who are doing the Ride For Life charity ride, raising funds for Cancer!!! A MOST excellent evening was had by all.. the ale flowed & yummy, well earned food was consumed!!

Home for coffee & bed about 11.30. Where 6 of us were crammed into a not overly large bunkroom.. with 2, competing in the 'national snore-off champs' which made for the rest of us not getting a great deal of sleep however... :shutup:

The following morning dawned overcast & a bit chilly, but dry. Following shower, breakky & packing, we all headed into Blenheim, 9 bikes in total. Was now time for me to say goodbye to the lads & head on home, while they carried on & headed into the Molesworth, to end up in Hanmer tonight!

Was bloody great to catch up with Ruralman & Jantar again :Punk: & MOST excellent to meet all the others & put more faces to names!! & we have a couple of 'new' kb'rs in the making!! Look forward to seeing you online guys!

An awesome couple of days riding was had by me, but I am hanging out for an early night tonight.. to make up for last nights lack of.. AYE Jantar & Fleethaul.. :Pokey: See you sometime for coffee Jeff!

Cheers guys for a great couple of days!!!!! Take care out there & TRY & stay upright aye.... :rolleyes:

Jen :rockon:

SDU
13th February 2007, 14:43
:sunny: He said he inadvertently beached the bike on a rock... no drive so slid back down the hill.

Nice to join in the fun, even for just a short while.:yes:

And on the way back I did not have a race with a green van all the way from Havlock to Nelson :innocent:

Good day out :Punk:

Fancy teasing us with just tidbits & no piccies guys!

I rode to Murchison yesterday to meet the group supposidly at 1pm.. they arrived about 1.55.. :shutup: (& yet it's always the bloody MALES complaining of having to 'wait' for their female counterparts! :dodge: )Jen :rockon:

Yeah those boys have a bit of practise at keeping ya waiting:dodge:

Glad you all had a great time & everyone is still up & running ok.

oldrider
13th February 2007, 14:44
Thanks for the update Jen, sounds like things are going pretty good! :yes: John.

PS: I have eaten all the Elderberry flowers now! (lol) :wacko: :calm: :innocent:

MyGSXF
13th February 2007, 15:00
Glad you all had a great time & everyone is still up & running ok.

Thanks for the update Jen, sounds like things are going pretty good! :yes: John.

PS: I have eaten all the Elderberry flowers now! (lol) :wacko: :calm: :innocent:

Yeah, it really was a great couple of days!!! :Punk: & the guys are all good.. :yes:

I've get several piccys to put up.. but my puter has been packing a mental the past few days :wacko: so will get them on here asap! ;)

What's on the menu tonight then John..??? :shutup:

Jen :rockon:

warewolf
13th February 2007, 15:57
But more importantly, did it get dirty?Very much so... too much! I'd given the black plastic bits their infrequent spray with protectant, it must've gone a bit sticky because there is now a thick accumulation of red dust on lots of stuff that never gets dusty.

And on the way back I did not have a race with a green van all the way from Havlock to Nelson :innocent: I had a clear run, only passed maybe 5 vehicles the whole way home, including two very courteous logging trucks on the Whangamoas. :first:

MyGSXF
13th February 2007, 17:37
Some piccys of the past 2 days...

1) Line up in Nelson
2) Ruralman, Spanzy, Jantar, Fleethaul
3) Ruralman, Zukin, warewolf
4) Zukin (Scott, Carissa & daughter.. )

MyGSXF
13th February 2007, 17:45
more piccys

1) Celebrating a successful day all round!
back L-R Steve, Ruralman, Jantar, Spanzy, Duck01, Fleethaul
front L-R Richard, Scott, Carissa, daughter..(?) sorry sweets, can't remember name..:confused:

2) Leaving Picton this morning.. damn we're a good looking bunch!!!! :shutup:
3) Heading off for The Molesworth from Blenheim
4) Jantar (rear) & Spanzy (ATV rider.. soon to be Kb'r!! :Punk: )

MyGSXF
13th February 2007, 17:48
last piccy..

Kb'r from Waiuku.. Jafar

PLUG
14th February 2007, 21:12
hooked up with them @ Amberley this morning ... Janter - Ruralman - Spanzy - Fleethaul & Duck01 ... fuel, food & we are away ... next stop the top of Okuku Pass ... as we headed inland we left the dirty clouds hanging around the coast behind ...

man were they pissed when we got to the top of the pass ... NO SIGN saying Okuku Pass for the photo ... O well ... cruse on around towards the Okuku river, crossing many low flow streams that run from the hills around ... Spanzy & his Bandit impressed me ... getting along at a fair clip on the gravel roads & plunging into the fords with purpose ... the test for Spanzy & the Bandit was comming up ... the Okuku river ... it's the lowest I've ever seen it ... 300 mm deep at it deepest ... a breeze for Spanzy & his trusty Bandit, now complete with sheep & cow shit splatters :rockon:

climbing out of the Okuku river & winding our way up Lees Pass we see the farmer moving a mob of sheep up ahead of us ... we catch him, his dogs & a freeking big mob of sheep at the top of the pass ... as the sheep were heading in the same direction as us, it took a while to work our way through them ... onto the floor of Lees Valley & make good time on the flat strights to the bottom of the valley ... then it's a series of climbs, decents, twisties & switch backs as we negociate the 20k's worth of Ashley Gorge ...

the previous 70 odd K's of loose surface turns back to black top at it's exit ... on down into Oxford & hang a right heading for hiway 73 ... hook onto the road to the coast & up to Springfield (Homer & Marge were out) for fuel & food ... Porters Pass next stop ... YAY A SIGN saying Porters Pass WITH elevation ... this is where I left them ... they heading for Arthers Pass & the West Coast & me for Lake Coleridge

Ride Safe Dudes :Punk:

PLUG
15th February 2007, 09:25
Generally I subscribe to the therory of what happens on tour, stays on tour ... I'll be selective, so as any info is not used against anyone in particular

Hanging with these guys yesterday & a few stories started flowing about the previous 3 days of touring together like ...

day 3 ... the ride through molesworth ... on this part of the trip there was a yank & an aussie with them ... this story focuses on the aussie ... he shipped his own bike out for a months worth of NZ touring & hook up with them through the advrider site ... his bike ... a fully blinged out 1200 GS beemer with all sorts of bells & whistles & electronic devices ...

apparantly the yank & aussie were shootin their mouths off about their skill & experance of riding on loose surface the night before ... Ruralman, being the sponge that he is, figured he might learn a thing or 2 by following them & seeing how it's done ...

the yank ... slow as a wet week ... even Spanzy & the Bandit showed him a dissapearing tail light ... O well ... lets see what the aussies got ...

RM's on his tail ... gental, sensible pace ... the pace picks up RM's still there enjoying this mild blast ... the blinged beemer starts hanging it's tail out of corners & hitting 3 didgets on the strights ... this goes on for a few K's & RM on his trannieshelper is still right there ...

it seems that the aussie frustration levels at seeing the blue TA with 1/2 the cc's & HP constantly in his mirrors must of got the better of his ego ... for he approched this one corner a bit hot & had I suppose a panic moment where he jumped on the back brake a bit hard & the back stepped out ...

much dust was stirred up as the blinged beemer bounced & it pilot slid ... once the dust settled, here's this not so blinged beemer parked on it's back with wheels in the air close to the side of the road with in a couple of metres of going down a 30 odd metre bank ... it rider is up & hobbling, sore hip, very sore apparantly ...

out come the cameras to record the event ... while it's on it back it gets an under side check over then back on it's wheels ... screen cleaned off & mild gravel rash all over ... the bling crash bars do their job ... no damage to the motor ... tidy up the mess with a bit of tape here & a cable tie there & away they go again at a much reduced pace ...

that night in Hanmer, Spanzy, the yank & aussie were teamed up in a dorm ...
the question of snoring arose ... according to Spanzy it was going to be a nice quiet night ... WRONG ...

being an alledged snorer me self, I have a well worked routine ... first to :zzzz: wins is my motto ... to help this a couple of beers prior to turn in assists greatly ...

obvoiusly the yank & aussie had more night caps than Spanzy as there was a bit of a coures going quite early on ... Spanzy being the resourceful bloke that he is decided to record this noise on his phone for play back in the morning ... it seems that Spanzy is a lite sleeper, as he regailed the story with times during the nite as he was woken with vibrating throat noises ...

hoped you had a better nites sleep last nite Spanzy ...

cooneyr
15th February 2007, 09:47
Awesome story LOL. Love it when we stick it to the ausies - they're great for giving stick :dodge: Who would we give stick if we didn't have them as neighbors?

...Generally I subscribe to the therory of what happens on tour, stays on tour ...

....being an alledged snorer me self, I have a well worked routine ... first to :zzzz: wins is my motto ... to help this a couple of beers prior to turn in assists greatly ...

I also subscribe to the what happens on tour stays on tour but whilst were outing people - I think you can remove the alleged from the sentence above :dodge:
Im a pretty heavy sleeper and a bit of a snorer myself - been hit with brooms across tramping huts to stop the snoring and not woken up, however , I didn't sleep much on the Buller trip. Maybe I didn't drink enough beer?

Hmmmmm lots of dodging on this post - was this a wise post? Probably not - but what the hell :whocares: its all in jest.

Cheers R

SDU
15th February 2007, 13:35
Where are the pics guys?
Where's the Aussie hiding with his bike now? I take it they didn't continue on with the boys.
Great that you got to meet up with them Plug.
I'm sure a few more stories will leak out eventually.

Ruralman
15th February 2007, 22:18
Hi guys and thanks to all who joined the ride at some point - great to meet new faces from KB and get a bit of local knowledge for local routes.
This is a quick message because we're in Naesby at the end of the ride and can't upload photos till we get home. It has been a fantastic trip with a great group of guys who have developed great faith in each others riding - we have all riden each others bike over the last few days and I can tell you that all the bikes are great at something, it just comes down to the individual set of requirements and limitations we have.

Just a word on our Aussie mate Steve - he is a great fella and we all like him heaps. He knows he got it wrong on that corner on the way up the Moleworth but apart from us posting some embarassing photos we don't want a bad word said about him - he's a good bastard.

Trouble with this bike swapping - I've fallen in love - its got 3 cylinders and stripes. Anyone want a bloody good Transalp????

Tonight we have discussed what to do next - maybe next year we do the same ride but go the other way around???

Trips like these make us so aware of what a fantastic country we live in - the poor buggers who only stick to the sealed roads and never venture beyond that range of hills they ride beside have no idea of what lies behind - so come on all you sports bike poofdahs get out and see the real NZ and buy yourselves an adventure bike - the best thing is thta there are a few of them that will give your sports bikes a bloody good run on the real sealed road riding conditions all around this country as well.

Enough from me for now - back over the next few days with pics etc. I am going to put up a post on the general bike section about a group of Honda Riders Club members who are a pack of smart up themselves arseholes who walked out without paying for 25 meals at Franz Joseph the night we were there. You are an absolutely bloody disgrace to the biker community and I hope the lot of you get the fucking aresekicking you deserve.

fleethaul
16th February 2007, 10:16
Please note if you live in spain this bike will appear the right way up.and http://fleethaul.smugmug.com/gallery/2476078#129868666-L-LB

fleethaul
16th February 2007, 10:42
http://fleethaul.smugmug.com/gallery/2476078#129869136-L-LB

fleethaul
16th February 2007, 10:51
Everyone has just departed Naseby with CD's from all the tight five cameras.
About 500 pics, expect to see more in the next 24 hours.

Jeff

We are not picking on Steve (slipperyoz) on KB. But his off has been the
subject of debate by including ourselves and no doubt will be the subject of more laughs when he comes to stay in ChCh. He has to wash down the bike for export. as his ride round the Catlins will be his swansong.

Must away, have to punt a Bandit 1200 through the Pigroot while my Dakar goes on a seni tour through Poolburn reservoir, Thompsons, Te Aka, Iron Bridge to Pukaki and Mt Cook. Still someone has to do it.

Jeff

SDU
16th February 2007, 11:37
Thanks for the update guy's. Luv the pics looking forward to the rest.
Reckon Slipperyoz might deserve a beer after talented parking like that:shit: :drinkup:

warewolf
16th February 2007, 12:05
Please note if you live in spain this bike will appear the right way up.and http://fleethaul.smugmug.com/gallery/2476078#129868666-L-LB

:Punk: Bet he couldn't do that again if he tried. :first:

But he was the second Aussie to lose it on a corner on that trip:
What happens when you have a Little Lie Down in rocks (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204274)

fleethaul
16th February 2007, 14:17
It was 8:30 at night, I was on the last leg of the Passes ride having taken
a detour to my house to pick up a laptop so that we could burn all the pic cards to CD. It's 8:30 at night, the sky is still bright but the road is dark.

I'm turning on to the sealed bypass at Ranfurly, following a Honda Voyager
who is obviously unsure of the intersection and is travelling at about 20kmh.

It is of great surprise that my back wheel is trying to overtake the front.
Sh*t. Then it bites and I don't go down.

How do you get the back wheel to come round with no power on and going that slow?

Alan had taken my F650 over Danseys and I was on his shiny Bandit and almost lost it.
Later I admited to him sheepishly what happened and felt a right idiot

Now for the serious bit.
The intersection has been re-sealed. Vehicles have tracked through the
loose and left ridges of stones. Thankfully the front wheel must have tracked
on the hard and the back caught a loose ridge.

I know this because I went back at 12 noon today to have a look.
I had to be within 10m of the intersection to actually see the loose.
any further away it looks fine.

Not a road marking.... Not a new seal sign..... Not a no road marking
sign... zilch.

I called into an AA office on the way home to ask where to report the incident.
They highlighted to me that because it could??? be on the intersection
of a piece of road that transit controls and the council
controls there may be a demarcation issue and that the best way to bring
issues to Transits attention was to "put in writing".

My reply was that I just wanted to stop someone getting killed or injured".

So please warn your friends if they might be going through that way.

And if someone on the thread knows who to contact to get something
done about it... please do so pronto...
Looks like I need to study road demarcation management so that
I know who to ring.

Jeff

cooneyr
16th February 2007, 14:38
.............I called into an AA office on the way home to ask where to report the incident.
They highlighted to me that because it could??? be on the intersection
of a piece of road that transit controls and the council
controls there may be a demarcation issue and that the best way to bring
issues to Transits attention was to "put in writing"........

Transit controls all state highways and 20m from the center line of the highway up all side roads (last time I checked). If the new seal was on a state highway ring Transits Dunedin Regional Office (in their area) on 03 477 8527 and ask for the Area Engineer for that area. Otherwise contact the Dunedin CC (I think it is their area?????)

BUT before you do that - new chip seal can loose chip for a long time (3+ months). Was it few loose stones or ridges of stones and inch or more deep? Rather than flame Transit cause it wasn't signed as it may have been done as per the book it might be better to approach them about getting some maintenance guys out there with a broom or two. Most likely the second approach with be more productive.

Cheers R

fleethaul
16th February 2007, 15:11
It's just facts from my perspective. I'm new to this forum and still learning the rules so it would help me if you would please highlight
the areas of supposition or opinion in what I wrote.

I forgot to pack a tape measure.

It's looks brand spankers to me.

Thick- some sections have no tyre tracks at all.

My issue is one of safety not finger pointing.

The AA incident is my way of saying my first approach at
dealing with issue resulted in the suggestion that I write to transit.
Today is Friday, If I post a letter today they will get it Monday.
What happens to the weekend riders.
One if my first actions on getting home was to attempt through contacts
to this forum to get something done about it quickly.
Me getting stuck on some govt quangos talking computer trying to learn
the ins and outs of the system is not the quick result I'm looking for.

It's worked there is a phone number within your missive.
I'm on it as we speak, dealing with the Transit phone system roundabout, The quality of the music is good, quite a pleasant tune too.

John Jarvis is on line before the song even finishes.

Now he is raising the issue of demarcation and could I tell him
if it is actually on Transits highway.
I raise with him your point about the 20 metres, but that I did not have a
tape measure with me at the time.

He is assuring me that it must have been left swept and that it would not
be left unswept and unsigned.

He promises to look into it immediately.

Thanks for your help.

Laava
16th February 2007, 19:37
Thanks guys for a very inspiring get away! You obviously were enjoying it to have written and posted as much story and photos as you did. I have a question tho before I go back and re-read the whole story. Jo and I are hoping to head south in April, are most of these roads OK to do 2-up? We have just finished running in our Strom and are set up to go but I am unsure of our limits at this stage. We are OK on gravel so will stick to what is recommended at this stage. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Ruralman
16th February 2007, 21:52
Thanks guys for a very inspiring get away! You obviously were enjoying it to have written and posted as much story and photos as you did. I have a question tho before I go back and re-read the whole story. Jo and I are hoping to head south in April, are most of these roads OK to do 2-up? We have just finished running in our Strom and are set up to go but I am unsure of our limits at this stage. We are OK on gravel so will stick to what is recommended at this stage. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Quick reply b4 I get some much needed sleep - yes the roads would be OK 2 up if you are well used to doing gravel trips. Obviously you would need to go a bit slower. I followed Jantar a few times on the gravel and it looked like on the tight stuff he really had to work to get it to turn in - this was where the 2 650's (Dakar and Transalp) really came into their own and given a chance would easily pull away. Two up the turn in might be a little harder so the pace would have to come back. If you could I would add another 2 days to do it at least. (we did mainly 10-11 hour days - and we weren't mucking about when riding but did obviously stop for photos. Several of the riders would have regularly been in the 100-130km/hr on the gravel where conditions allowed)

The end of the Lees Valley section did have a couple of river crossings which you would want your pillion to walk through - it wasn't that deep but the gravel is pretty loose and dropping some weight would help, especially when your steering starts moving around a bit which will happen. The Maungatapu track we did was hard enough for the big Strom anyway (and great Credit to Jantar for getting it through in spite of the small mishap) so its really a no go with a pillion on your bike and theres no Passes on it anyway.

Hopefully Jantar will add his comments to this.

Ruralman
16th February 2007, 22:07

Just re-read your post again - April??? - you may not get permission to go through the Molesworth (ask DOC), the rivers and Fords everywhere may be very different if there has been a typical reversion to autumn rains after summer.
Having said that probably it is only the Molesworth and Okuku-Lees passes that would be in doubt - with others OK unless theres a major weather event at the time (including snow).
Probably better to travel with more than one bike as well - eg if you had a small relatively low speed off after having the front wheel slip on something, and lets say you hurt your right arm/shoulder. Could you and your wife pick up the Strom? What if this happened on a section that was a bit steep, could you man handle it and get it going again? Theres often no cell phone reception so you need to be self reliant. When Jantar's Strom lay down it took 3 of us to get him going again - two could have done it, one would have struggled to get him going unless really strong. Admittedly this was a worse spot than you would be on but similar scenarios could happen.

You probably would want a more dirt orientated tyre to help - like a Mitas EO7 or something similar.

Jantar
16th February 2007, 22:21
All of the roads with the exception of The Maungatapu track are quite suitable for the Strom two up. I was using Battlewing tyres which are really a pure road tyre, but I was convinced that they would do the job Ok, and sure enough they didn't let me down once. I did have to slow down a bit earlier on the loose gravel sections, and couldn't accellerate as hard as the other bikes, or my rear end would loose traction, but overall, the VStrom was a very good bike for the terrain.

Ruralman is correct that on the tight stuff it wouldn't turn in as quickly as the smaller bikes, however that is just a matter of riding the bike appropriately for the conditions. This trip was 70% seal and 30% gravel or dirt roads, and I set my bike up for the seal and hard packed dirt roads. I certainly wasn't disappointed with how it behaved. If you are concerned about the gravel sections then fit Tourances or Anakees for a little more agressive bite in the gravel.

The Maungatapu track is another story. When I first heard about it I wasn't terribly confident on taking the Strom through, but when I was told that it was rocky rather than than muddy, and hard rock at that, then I decided that the Strom would be OK. What let me down was a single, short, steep uphill stretch with loose rock and quite rutted. To keep the Strom up in its rev range meant I had to take this section too fast to pick the correct line, then when I hit a large rock in a rut, the bike just stopped, and then started sledging backwards. It appears that the rock I hit also knocked the bike into neutral :shit: So I was trying to hold it on front brake alone. That didn't work, then I lost my footing and down we went.

Ruralman
16th February 2007, 22:22
I won't embarrass him by putting up Richards name ( oh F.. I've done it!!!!), but hey isn't that how we bond in this part of the world - chucking shit at each other.
Had a nice ride home with SlipperyOZ and The Yank (time you had a KB name Richard) - went through to Hyde (from last nights stop in Naesby), then over to Mcraes. Bloody windy and pleased not to be continuing through to Middlemarch.
I hope Mr and Mrs Oldrider coped OK over the Dunstan Trail.
WE then retracked our Coastal route which these guys hadn't done, via Karitane and Mt Cargill (still cloudy!!). Really windy heading for the flood free highway so took them round the old main road route through Henley etc.
Stopped in Milton and insisted SlipperyOZ came to the Doctor 'cos I was getting bloody sick of watching him grimace - got checked out, and given a few more pills to help.
We went to leave and SOz and myself headed off thinking R was ready to go - stopped a few K's down the road (only 2km!!!!!!!! - those who know will know!!!!!!!!) cos he didn't show up, and then went back - the bike had moved back, he'd got his back wheel caught on the curbing or something, slightly lost his balance couldn't hold it and down it went. Lost a bit of fuel into the storm drain. Not sure if he picked it up himself or got help but he got it sorted by the time we got back - did add some scratches to the pannier on the other side though!!
They gave away the Catlins trip for this time and we came up SH8, had a quick look at our farm and a cuppa and then they headed off to Alexandra

Shiner
17th February 2007, 08:51

Oh dear not the best way to park a beamer, however I know how easy it is to do, have to admit to having my 650F in a similar position. Interestingly, as RedKLR650 pointed out to me, the big beamer running exactly the same tyres as mine. However mine soon to change if I can get my hands on a Mitas 19inch for the front.
Have totally enjoyed the photos and stories from the big passes ride and am keen to get back into the Mainland.:love:

cooneyr
17th February 2007, 10:02
It's just facts from my perspective. I'm new to this forum and still learning the rules so it would help me if you would please highlight
the areas of supposition or opinion in what I wrote.

I forgot to pack a tape measure.

It's looks brand spankers to me.

Thick- some sections have no tyre tracks at all.

My issue is one of safety not finger pointing.

The AA incident is my way of saying my first approach at
dealing with issue resulted in the suggestion that I write to transit.
Today is Friday, If I post a letter today they will get it Monday.
What happens to the weekend riders.
One if my first actions on getting home was to attempt through contacts
to this forum to get something done about it quickly.
Me getting stuck on some govt quangos talking computer trying to learn
the ins and outs of the system is not the quick result I'm looking for.

It's worked there is a phone number within your missive.
I'm on it as we speak, dealing with the Transit phone system roundabout, The quality of the music is good, quite a pleasant tune too.

John Jarvis is on line before the song even finishes............

Sorry I mussta been a bit sensative yesterday. I whole heartly aggree regarding you concerns. Only thing is I've worked in a chip sealing gang and I've work on secondment with Transit for 6 months. I know that going in with guns blazing is a good way to get these peoples back up. Well done on the approach taken. AA route would have been a complete waste of time.

I was expecting the responce you got hence trying to get you to clarify in your own mind what was there so you were ready for the responce. Having worked for Fultys in a chip sealing gang I know that most of them are very concious of making sure things are swept and signed as best possible. A bike went down on one of our sites immediatly after sweeping back in 98. It is a harsh reminder to most of the guys of the realities of their work.

No wind up intended with the original post.

Cheers R

P.S. I no longer work for Transit or a contractor.

fleethaul
17th February 2007, 12:24
Thanks Cooneyr
Al took my Dakar over the Danseys on the last night.
After work tonight I'm going to do the pass myself and
will check if they have swept it yet as go round the block.

Back to the trip.
MT and Alan spent yesterday on Thompsons Gorge then to Mt Cook. Al tried to ride the Dakar up the steps to see the Tasman but found the going too tough.
They then rode to Black Forest via Pukaki/Iron bridge road and did the Black Forest / Te Aka road. They saw a big wallaby just past the Te Aka gate, Oldrider and I saw it at the same place 2 weeks ago.
They left for home (Shannon) this morning via Rakaia Gore and Oxford.
We are looking to ride the Rainbow and sounds roads and tracks with these guys in March/April before MT heads of for 4 months in Oz on the Tiger.So will be looking for some road suggestions and some riders to tag along/show us the way.

Posting pics on this website.

[IMG] is turned off. which makes it more challenging. Would someone
who is prepared to give me a quick tutorial on getting up the thumbnails please PM me. Have heaps of pics to go up but attempts todate upsuccessful.... help...Stu?...

Thanks for an amazing week guys.

fleethaul
17th February 2007, 15:52
The riders on this tour are into gadgets.
MT has one of these mounted on his mirror.
It's a small VGA camera that records 40 mins of video
on a 1G SD card.

They sell for $199 including a free $79 1G card.
I'm not saying where they come from until after I buy mine.
Hate them to run out first.

A number of vids were shot on the ride.
Will put some of the vids on youtube when I get back to ChCH..

Jeff

More gadgets to follow.

ps This is a test of whether I've got the thumbnail thing cracked.

NordieBoy
17th February 2007, 17:19
Now that looks interestink...

Transalper
17th February 2007, 18:12
theres a whole thread already dedicated to those cameras here somewhere

Jantar
18th February 2007, 09:26
A colour version of the photo.

NordieBoy
18th February 2007, 09:36
A correctly rotated version of the colour version of that photo.

Just to show everyone how steep it really was.

miSTa
18th February 2007, 09:44
A correctly rotated version of the colour version of that photo.

Just to show everyone how steep it really was.
Bloody hell :gob:

fleethaul
18th February 2007, 11:14
Posting pics on KB is configured for the dialup age. Putting up pics with accompanying text is difficult. So here is a link to the first days pics.
Significant pics will have some text attached to them.

Day 2 Pics Jeff (http://fleethaul.smugmug.com/gallery/2476078#P-1-15)

The are the pics on just one of many cameras.
So far I have only obtained permission to put up all of SlipperyOZ pics.

So Jantar, Ruralman, Duck01, Al please PM me if you are happy for me
to post your pics too.

SlipperyOz Pics day 3 (http://fleethaul.smugmug.com/gallery/2482843#130269577)

<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" align="middle" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=1269443597280747053&hl=en" quality="best" bgcolor="#ffffff" scale="noScale" salign="TL" FlashVars="playerMode=embedded"> </embed>

Jeff

fleethaul
18th February 2007, 13:02
Just as well it was a hot day.
SlipperyOz took these resting on the tank of the big r1200gs, no screen to get in the way.

Take my hat off to SlipperyOz, in pain and still taking the time to shoot vids

Or you can see it here
See vid and pics here (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4118945#post4118945)

fleethaul
18th February 2007, 14:45
Seemed where ever we went the grader got there just before us.

Well we finally caught and passed it on Taylor Pass
You can see it in the background looking down from the summit.

Passed the grader (http://fleethaul.smugmug.com/photos/130288513-M.jpg)

Taylors pass was challenging to find. Jantars GPS was trying to send us through/over a hill with no road on it. But by reverting to the original GPS
(Grandad positioning system) we found out gardening in front of his house we
we able to find the route. With Malcolm Taylor and Mike Taylor in the team
we found a good reason to rib them.

fleethaul
18th February 2007, 14:55
Suggest you click the caption button for info
Pics from day 3 as seen from Jeffs camera (http://fleethaul.smugmug.com/photos/sspopup.mg?AlbumID=2483220)

Ruralman
18th February 2007, 19:28
theres a whole thread already dedicated to those cameras here somewhere

It was interesting on the final night when Jeff was able to get movies of exactly the same scene on the computer screen side by side of about 10 minutes riding. Mark had shot these on the Tiger - on one handlebar he had the little self contained model Fleethaul has shown above, and on the other side we duct taped my small tripod to the mirror (layer of tape round the mirror first to help reduce vibes) and then attached his sony digital camera to that and had it in movie mode (it had a 1GB card and this model also has the technology that helps reduce/take out shake - I think it was a 6MP camera)

The movies from the digital camera were signicantly better, but the one from the cheap movie camera were still pretty good and as a unit it looks pretty robust and ideal for mounting on a bike. I did highlight though that with the right digital camera you can still get some great footage with a bit of cheap innovation.

timg
18th February 2007, 20:28
Welcome home folks. Looks like its been an awesome adventure. It's been an interesting read catching up on your last few days. It was great meeting and doing part of day 1 with you. I like the idea of doing it again the other way around - I'd be in (and a bit more experienced by then) :-). Cheers, Tim.