PDA

View Full Version : Hey all, wondering what first bike to get...

SPORK
8th August 2004, 02:53
Hey guys!

I am nearing 15, and me and my bike-mad friend (he does super-motard and motocross) are going for our licences soon, and I was looking on bikepoint.co.nz for a good bike, and I got some reccommendations for this bike:http://bikepoint.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBikeID=162756&TabID=3553&Alias=bikepointnz

It is a Suzuki FRX150, and I was wondering what people thought of it, the model, not that specific bike in the link. I want something to ride to school in the mornings and such, and i can pay a fair bit, up to around 5 grand, so, any advice on a first bike would be very much apprecciated.

Thanks!

Ghost Lemur
8th August 2004, 09:05
A number of guys here have 'em. Quite good bikes.

One piece of advice I was given when shopping for a first bike is, go naked, go cheap (repairs and maintainence). Something like a cb250rs, gn125 or 250, etc.

This way if the highly likely off happens, there's no expensive plastics to replace, and it wont set you back as much.

Other benefit is more money left to get quality gear, that's where your life will be saved, not in which bike you ride. Now having been 15 I know there is a bit of the old "invincible and immortal" complex going on, but listen to an old'er fulla and heed warings.

The fxr definitely derserves it's place on your list of possibles though.

SPORK
8th August 2004, 09:38
Hey thanks, and don't worry, I definately don't feel invincible on a bike, so no worries there, I will get me some grood riding clothes. I am lucky enough to have an Aunt that likes bikes, so she said she will go halves on the first bike I get. I've noticed that the FXR150 has a digital instrument panel. Is this good or bad when riding? It looks pretty flash, but how easy is it to read?

Thanks,

Nick

Stinkwheeler
8th August 2004, 11:33
Dam, I thought I was the youngest on the forums. You're a lucky bugger to have that amount of money for a first bike. My first bike was a $50 Suzuki GP125. I'd imagine, like with most digital dashes, that the FXR's dash is near useless in direct sunlight but pretty good everywhere else.

The "invincible and immortal complex" is a common misconception. I'm all to wary that the only thing between me and the road/concrete walls/buses etc is my riding gear. Yes, get the best riding gear you can afford, but do your maths and leave some money for the bike you want.

And get a fog proof visor. It'll be invaluable on cold mornings.

FROSTY
8th August 2004, 12:18
A number of guys here have 'em. Quite good bikes.

One piece of advice I was given when shopping for a first bike is, go naked, go cheap (repairs and maintainence). Something like a cb250rs, gn125 or 250, etc.

This way if the highly likely off happens, there's no expensive plastics to replace, and it wont set you back as much.

Other benefit is more money left to get quality gear, that's where your life will be saved, not in which bike you ride. Now having been 15 I know there is a bit of the old "invincible and immortal" complex going on, but listen to an old'er fulla and heed warings.

The fxr definitely derserves it's place on your list of possibles though.
Dude this subject yas been covered before.
Scroll back throught he forums and you'lll find some cool stuff about peoples opinions.
I did a report on the fxr150 -In the bike reports forum.

SPORK
8th August 2004, 12:57
Oh, sorry, I will go check out your report.

And $50?! that is sick! And I'm not lucky, I have been workin' since I was 11. Damn, it's been a long time... Anyways, I hope the display isn't too hard too see, I would hate to 'accidentaly' go over 70 on my learners... :msn-wink:

FROSTY
8th August 2004, 13:19
dont swet it madcat. The FXR has a bllody easy to read dash -and as for speeding um well ya see if ya doin 70km/h on the fxr in the real world ya probably only doin about 60.
If ya do buy a FXR and drop it -give me a yell -Im actually real keen to try
building a nakked FXR --I think itd look pretty cool.

riffer
8th August 2004, 13:39
Good to hear of more young guys still wanting bikes. There's a few younge bikers around Upper Hutt. A couple work at Pak 'n Save - one has a TS185, one has an SRX250. You might want to catch up with them. They aren't Kiwibikers though, but hey, you could always point them to this place.

FXR150 is a great bike for a learner but watch out if you do drop it. From what some of the guys on the forum here say they do tend to break things quite easily but there's always parts available for them as they have sold a few...

If you need any mechanical help send us a pm. I'm pretty local and have most tools available.

Oh, and welcome to kiwibiker! See you on the road sometime. I'm on a blue and white FZR750R with nice scratches down the left hand side (don't ask)

Simon

wkid_one
8th August 2004, 14:01
Some questions

What do you want to do with the bike outside commuting? How tall are you? How heavy are you? Do you have any physical limitations procluding you from certain bikes (ie wrist/back/shoulder problems)?

These all have an impact on the best bike.

Ultimately - ride as many as you can. If you want performance - go the RS250 or RGV250 et al. The VTR250 gets rave reviews as an easy to ride but fun learners bike. There are the perenial favs of the CBR250, GSXR250 ZXR250 ZZR250. You could go the Honda Spada or Suzuki Bandit - both naked bikes with slightly detuned engines from the CBR/GSXR etc.

There is the GN250 if you want more of a cruiser - or you could go the GSF250 for a larger 250.

Then there is the range on 150cc bikes out on the market at the moment - which a lot of new riders ride on this site - best thing to do is ask them what they think.

Some Tips

Same thing applies when looking for a car - if you don't know, take someone who does.
Remember when test riding bikes you are only on it for about 5-10mins - remember to consider whether you could bare riding it for 60mins or all day if this is what you want to do. What may be great for 10mins - may be fecken uncomfortable on a long ride.
Check swing arm and forks (around axles) for grazes/scratches as these are the most expensive places to fix in an off (other than the frame) - and are unlikely to be replaced.
You will generally get a little more protection from a dealer - however, will pay more for the priviledge as you will generally get a better deal privately.
Consider buying w/o fairing or take it off initially - as you are quite likely to fall off (most likely something small like a U'Turn etc) and fairing can make this little excursion VERY expensive.
As with cars, mileage etc are a good indication as to wear and tear expectations of the bike.
Don't be concerned that 250's often seem more expensive than 400's etc as the 250 market's price is inflated due to the learner laws.
Like cars - longevity/lifetime is not a factor of the bike - it is more a factor of the owner. Some bikes are faults yes - but a negligent owner is worse.
MAKE SURE YOU SPEND MONEY ON DECENT GEAR! At bare minimum Jacket (weather proof with armour), gloves and proper fitting helmet. Ideally you will want to get proper bike boots and trousers as well as you will fall off. It is a waste of time buying a $5k bike and not looking after yourself on it.
Take the time to set the bike up for you. Brake and Clutch levers can and shouldl be adjusted to suit your grip width and wrist angle, gear and brake levers are the same. This can make a HUGE difference to both comfort and ability to ride the bike.
Just some initial thoughts

Magua
8th August 2004, 14:09
I wouldn't venture below 150cc. I started out on a GN125, sure it was great fun starting out but a few months down the line you'll find youself questioning why you bought it. I hoped on an fxr from my gn and was surprised by the difference in accel/power. If you look at the specs it's only a 8hp difference but on such small bikes it makes the world of difference.

Zapf
8th August 2004, 18:00
Have recently bought my VTR250 and I have to say its a great bike in my books (my 1st bike), and the thing about staying to 250 is good. The VTR manages ok on the open road, I can't imagen what a 125 would be like.

Get a bike that has more low down torque if you can and not out right power, as all the power will be in the top. Reaching it will be harder and requires more gear changes, a more torquey engine will be easier to ride. E.g VTR250 - 90 degree V-Twin.

on well thats my 2 cents.

KATWYN
8th August 2004, 18:14
Hey guys!

I am nearing 15, and me and my bike-mad friend (he does super-motard and motocross) are going for our licences soon, and I was looking on bikepoint.co.nz for a good bike, and I got some reccommendations for this bike

Hi Nick, I love your choice of picture (Che Guavera) he was always my
favourite when i was your age.

My first bike was a CBR250 I thought it would last me forever......Have heard
the FXR150 is a good first bike - theres another couple of guys in here called JRandom & Indiana Jones who both ride one

Welcome to the site

SPORK
8th August 2004, 18:36
Thanks for the welcome, and yeah, Che is the man!
I don't really plan to do any major open-road riding, just mainly zooming around town and stuff, so I don't think I will need a really high capacity bike.
About clothing;
What is the deal with 'armour'? Do I need it? Even at my sub-70km/h speeds? And how much would I expect to pay to get fully kitted out?

Thanks once again guys (and galls)

SPORK
8th August 2004, 18:39
And did you say a CBR250 was a good first bike? Because I saw one a couple on bikepoint for 2.5-3.5 grand. Late 80's though... So what should it be folks? CBR250, or FXR150?

Zapf
8th August 2004, 18:48
CBR250 if I were you. With Armor, yes u want it. If you have to hit something or slide across tarmac at 70km, I am sure you'll want all the protection you can get.

KATWYN
8th August 2004, 19:07
I had a 1990 CBR250R. About 4 years ago it was going for $4,000
but I ended up paying $3,000 for it. It took me about 4 months
to find one at the time! Then 2 years later I sold it for $3000
(cos the CBR's seemed few and far between) - I think they are
popular cos of the whole 250cc learner licence thing.

Protective gear - A new helmet, good boots, good gloves,good
bike pants & jacket, knee and elbow protectors (very important).

An accident at 50km's per hour can destroy gear- my advice is leather

spend 3,000 to 3,500 on the bike and 1,500 to 2,000 on the gear. (if you have 5,000 to spend)

Indiana_Jones
8th August 2004, 19:27
Get some good gear as it has been said before, crashed my FXR on Friday :niceone:
Good thing I had a glooves on, though my knees still hurt.

Again the Fixxer panel is off and 60kph is more like 50.
If you've been riding bikes for a while, I guess you should grab a CBR250, you might like it better.

-Indy

SPORK
8th August 2004, 19:40
You say that the speedo is off, and I have heard that before, so how do I recalibrate it? Can bike stores do it?

Posh Tourer :P
8th August 2004, 20:37
Buy the bike that is the best deal... There will be heaps to learn on any bike you buy. As long as it isnt uncomfortable, you will be fine.

A couple of points.

Firstly, if you are still growing, spending heaps on great gear might not be good if you are just gonna grow out of it anyway, but DEFINITELY dont skimp. I would buy a jacket, some over-trousers, because jeans grip tarseal, and rip, and gloves and *new* helmet. Helmet/gloves you can probably afford to get good ones, I used the helmet I had since I was 7 up until the start of this year (age 20), because it was a little big to start with, and the padding compressed over time. Plus, heads dont grow much...

Gear you can keep through to your next bike etc etc. Get a flash new 250, and you'll just sell it after two years. The way I looked at my learners/restricted period was that it wasnt worth wanting/buying something really good, as it was just going to be sold soonish anyway. Get something that you will be ok with, but dont look to satisy all your urges for speed on a 250, it'll just be expensive, money better spent on a 400 or 600 when you have a full - the 250 prices are inflated due to the licence regulations

Secondly, if you get a 150 or 125, you may want to upgrade before you get your full. If you get a 250 straight off, you are better placed to ride it till you get your full (and afterwards if you are so inclined). Yes a 150/125 will be great for 80kmh, some will struggle on long trips at 110 though. Having said that, the most fun I've had on a bike was on the CB125T, at about 40-60kmh (where it had the most/best power) - it cruised at 110 at 10,000rpm happily, but thats right up in the high revs, and I felt guilty taking it as far as Drury on the Mway....

8th August 2004, 20:41
You say that the speedo is off, and I have heard that before, so how do I recalibrate it? Can bike stores do it?

Oh and dont bother recalibrating. All speedos, car and bike are set about 10% low on average, to ensure that none of them read over actual speed - legal implications etc. When I went past one of those mobile speed boards on the beemer, I was reading 122 when it said 112.

It is a fact I've been thankful for over the past week as I've failed to see *TWO* camrys with boots open and speed cameras in operation - reading 60-61kmh and no flash

DEATH_INC.
8th August 2004, 21:55
The RG150 is a pretty good choice,Draco started on one and loved it(rode it home from the shop having never ridden a bike before,and kept it for about 18 months before moving up,and they can still put up a good pace in the right (wrong?) hands(eh twosmoker...).The early '98 one's are stronger than the '00 on models though.....

loosebruce
8th August 2004, 22:39
The RG150 is a pretty good choice,Draco started on one and loved it(rode it home from the shop having never ridden a bike before,and kept it for about 18 months before moving up,and they can still put up a good pace in the right (wrong?) hands(eh twosmoker...).The early '98 one's are stronger than the '00 on models though.....

Yeah you can't go wrong with the RG150's pleanty of them around and a good price, with heaps of potential in them if you want to go racing or just commute round town, you can pick good ones up for as low as $1200 and on the plus side you're buying a 98 onwards bike not spending just as much and ending up with a 1990 sports 250cc, heaps of guys have started out on RG's it's a bike i don't think you'd get too bored of. if you can buy private you'll save shitloads by doing so, i'm sure if you asked around here on the forums someone in the know would be more than happy to go with you and check out the bike for you if you had doubts on it when going private.
Even if you're just putting around town buy good gear for sure, it only takes some munter in a cage to run a red light and flatten you, keep sharp. Don't mean to scare you mate but that's the sad truth, even more so in auckland!

And welcome to KB hope you get a bike soon and get into it. :niceone:

SPman
8th August 2004, 23:35

Seen the movie "The Motorcycle Diaries"?
If it comes around on general release - see it. Bikes and Che in the same movie!

Milky
9th August 2004, 07:21
Seen the movie "The Motorcycle Diaries"?
If it comes around on general release - see it. Bikes and Che in the same movie!
I have... not a bad movie all in all :) I was suprised at just how much punishment the ol' biek could take.... none of those pretentious fairings or fake ram air on that bike :niceone:

9th August 2004, 08:59
Yeah you can't go wrong with the RG150's

They are two-strokes, so have shorter engine life than a 4-stroke. Hence it is definitely worth buying a newer one....

jrandom
9th August 2004, 09:13
Suppose I should chuck my $0.02 in, since y'all mentioned FXRs. Actually, searching the forum will turn up all my previous comments on my bike, so I don't need to rehash it. Suffice to say it's as reliable and economical as you could want, about as fast as a GN250 but handles better, and will frustrate the snot out of you if you try to keep up with RGs or four-cylinder 250s. And if you buy one that still has the stock tyres on, run don't walk to the nearest tyre shop and put some decent rubber on it (Pirelli MT75s for around-town, Bridgestone BT39SSs if you're going to push it).

tuscan
9th August 2004, 10:26
I just started riding a couple of months ago and bought a FXR150 for my first bike. :scooter:

Your sort of riding sounds like what I do... To and from uni every day, 50 kmh speed limit the whole way. :sly:

The FXR seems pretty good for that so far but there are times when I did wish it had a wee bit more oomph. Had I the amount of dosh you do I would probably have got something a bit bigger. I've never ridden one but I've always thought those naked 250 twins look like they'd be a pretty good choice. I'm sure someone else here might have some more useful comments on them. Really good FXR's seem to be asking $2500 - $3000. I got mine for $1850 but it's a wee bit rough-looking round the edges.

I have taken it on the motoraway a few times and while, as everyone will tell you, the speedo's a bit optimistic, it seems to be able to double the Learner's limit without too much drama, although the engine is spinning pretty quick and making a shitload of noise :2thumbsup

Whatever you get, I'm sure you'll enjoy it anyway. :banana:

sporty03
9th August 2004, 13:37
Mad cat,

Welcome to the mad world of 2 wheels. :eek:
Everything wkd one said is true, read and be advised. :niceone:
Have you done much fooling around on your mates bikes? That would have been a help. The VTR 250 is a pretty cool looking machine, :cool2: but I like V twins anyway, and I've taken out a GSX 250 for a spin. Neighbours 18 year old daughter reckoned it was just so cool. (Hint hint) :msn-wink:
The GSX seemed a pretty easy bike to ride but I guess it depends how big and strong you are. With all the plastic around it doesn't take all that much to get slightly off balance, especially when going slow. (Note u turn pointed out previously somewhere) If you're big enough, not a prob. If your not. :wacko: ....stick with the 150.
My son has been mucking around in the dirt for a few years and has gone through the XL 125, XT 250 and now rides an RM 125. He played too rough for the XT. I would be more than happy to let him loose on the GSX 250 as long as he remembers to turn his head before turning the bike.(Road sense) Very important point young bikers, know where you are going, BEFORE you go. Turn now, look later, will be very detrimental to your health.
Sit on / ride on as many as you can before making up your mind. Sit on the seat with your feet on the ground and see how far you can lean it before it gets too much and you drop it. Now think about that happening out on the street somewhere. Get the picture?? Stick with something you can handle, but remember, that people seem to outgrow smaller engines faster.
Hope that helps.
Happy trails :spudwave:

rodgerd
9th August 2004, 13:54
I don't really plan to do any major open-road riding, just mainly zooming around town and stuff, so I don't think I will need a really high capacity bike.
About clothing;
What is the deal with 'armour'? Do I need it? Even at my sub-70km/h speeds? And how much would I expect to pay to get fully kitted out?

Thanks once again guys (and galls)

Armour is very handy - especially around town, where you may hit knees or elbows into a car. Leather or cordura will do nothing for impact injuries, and armour can be the difference between a bruised elbow and a broken one.

tuscan
9th August 2004, 13:54
I see you have FXR150 listed as your main/favourite bike... Does this mean you've bought one??

Paul in NZ
9th August 2004, 14:21
If you can find one...

Yamaha SRV250

It has the little V twin from the 250 virago but it is simple, reliable (by all acounts) really nice looking and is a twin. MUCH easier to learn on than a 250cc 4 pot screamer...

Cheers

SPORK
9th August 2004, 16:23
I see you have FXR150 listed as your main/favourite bike... Does this mean you've bought one??

I wish! :rolleyes: I just put that on there when I first signed up.

Thanks for the advice everybody. I found out that a teacher at my school has an FXR150, me and my mate drooled over it at lunch, along with a bike I forgot it's name, but had 'Hurricane' written on it.

After admiring it, it seemed to be the right size for me, and I have become more and more attracted to it as I look. Is there any way to take the fairing off for practicing? And I think that for the present time, it's power should be enough (double the learners max speed, plenty) A minor setback though, and it may be close to a year before I have enough dough for all the gear and bike, from what I have heard, I don't want to go riding without proper protection (we learnt that in sex ed as well, if you catch my drift :laugh: )

Thanks once again,

Nick

PS I want to see the movie you mentioned, Che and Bikes! Awesome, a recipie that can't go wrong

KATWYN
9th August 2004, 16:40
Get some good gear as it has been said before, crashed my FXR on Friday :niceone:
Good thing I had a glooves on, though my knees still hurt.

Hey Indy what happened?? and are you ok?

Two Smoker
9th August 2004, 17:05
All that has been said is excellent advice.... from what i have heard an FXR seems to be a good choice.... I have an RG150 and the pluses it has over the FXR is power acceleration and top speed...... Yes im not going to say im a nana this time, but i can have my RG up with the 600's and 1000's and infront of them too....

The FXR has 20hp (i think) where the RG has 32 hp, SpankMe has had an FXR upto 152kmh, ive had my RG upto 195kmh with a 110/90 rear tyre and 180 with a 100/80 tyre just to give you an indication of the difference of performance...

the pluses for the FXR is that it has less fairings, is a 4 stroke and doesnt need a new cylinder after 30000kms, and has a smooth delivery of power, where the RG150 has a disticntive powerband...

Ive been riding the RG150 for over 8 months now, and am still having a good time on it, yes i know im being stupid and buying a 600 soon, but i have been considered a fast and safe (i think) rider hence the bigger bike....

jrandom
9th August 2004, 17:10
Is there any way to take the fairing off for practicing?

Not really. But then, I wouldn't bother. Take the mirrors off if you're worried about dropping it. Won't matter if the fairing accumulates a few wee scratches, but exploded mirrors are a nuisance to replace at $110 a pop.

jrandom
9th August 2004, 17:25
Oooh! I forgot! An opportunity to pimp my favourite old forum thread:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=2690

Two Smoker
9th August 2004, 17:36
Theres a photo of MR doing a stoppie on an FXR somewhere too.......

jrandom
9th August 2004, 17:47
Theres a photo of MR doing a stoppie on an FXR somewhere too.......

In that same thread, isn't it?

9th August 2004, 18:10
Thanks for the advice everybody. I found out that a teacher at my school has an FXR150, me and my mate drooled over it at lunch, along with a bike I forgot it's name, but had 'Hurricane' written on it.

The "Hurricane" is a late 80s/early 90s FZR250 I think?

Coyote
9th August 2004, 18:51
I suggest don't buy a flash bike just for you learners cause your likely to get bored of its power quickly. Buy a bike that'll last you for your first years, just something cheap, and the money left over will go towards your upgrade, and some gear. Every one says buy good gear, listen to them.

SPORK
9th August 2004, 19:00
Nice bike Daniel :banana:

You do know you are meant to put bikes you HAVE, not that I can speak.
And I will get good gear; I am giving myself a thousand buck allowance to spend on cloths and crap.

And Posh Tourer, i think you are right, was he Daniel?

Indiana_Jones
9th August 2004, 19:35
Not really. But then, I wouldn't bother. Take the mirrors off if you're worried about dropping it. Won't matter if the fairing accumulates a few wee scratches, but exploded mirrors are a nuisance to replace at $110 a pop.

lol I just smashed mine, not cool :D
Still gotta check those forks out sometime first :sweatdrop

-Indy

DEATH_INC.
9th August 2004, 19:52
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1883

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1884

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1881

Some old pics for your enjoyment.....

DEATH_INC.
9th August 2004, 19:56
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1764

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1709

Two Smoker
9th August 2004, 20:02
hehehe, i love those pics..... and MR doing it in the wet too....

riffer
9th August 2004, 20:06
The "Hurricane" is a late 80s/early 90s FZR250 I think? Nah, Hurricanes were Honda's. CBR250R's IIRC. They had that Ducati Paso fully enclosed fairing thing going on.

See the attached photo.

Two Smoker
9th August 2004, 20:14
There was also a CBR1000F Hurricane

Marknz
9th August 2004, 20:19
any advice on a first bike would be very much apprecciated.

VTR250... simple as that!

Stinkwheeler
9th August 2004, 20:46
The FXR has 20hp (i think) where the RG has 32 hp, SpankMe has had an FXR upto 152kmh, ive had my RG upto 195kmh with a 110/90 rear tyre and 180 with a 100/80 tyre just to give you an indication of the difference of performance...

That's not fair!!! My TV200 has 35hp and my Dad topped out at 140 at manfield :mad:. The bike was on stock gearing at the time, mind, which has been seen to. Two strokes are crazy fun to ride and highly addictive (to certain people anyway). If you do choose to get one, stay away from the higher powered 250s (as in the likes of the TZR250R).

$50 was all that was needed to build me a reasonable learner bike. But as you can see I moved on pretty dam quickly, and as you've got a decent amount of (hard earned, it sounds like) dosh you can ignore that. Good thing you're not the only one who rides to your school. I'm the only one who does at my school and I'm constantly being annoyed. "Sup G is dat your motabike??" "Hey do you ride a motorbike? (whilst walking past, with helmet in hand)"

Hey look out for me riding a tiny little RG50 if you plan to venture into the weird and wonderful land of lower hutt in the next few months. Come to think of it, an RG50 would be perfect if you could find one.

SPORK
9th August 2004, 21:04
That's not fair!!! My TV200 has 35hp and my Dad topped out at 140 at manfield :mad:. The bike was on stock gearing at the time, mind, which has been seen to. Two strokes are crazy fun to ride and highly addictive (to certain people anyway). If you do choose to get one, stay away from the higher powered 250s (as in the likes of the TZR250R).

$50 was all that was needed to build me a reasonable learner bike. But as you can see I moved on pretty dam quickly, and as you've got a decent amount of (hard earned, it sounds like) dosh you can ignore that. Good thing you're not the only one who rides to your school. I'm the only one who does at my school and I'm constantly being annoyed. "Sup G is dat your motabike??" "Hey do you ride a motorbike? (whilst walking past, with helmet in hand)"

Hey look out for me riding a tiny little RG50 if you plan to venture into the weird and wonderful land of lower hutt in the next few months. Come to think of it, an RG50 would be perfect if you could find one.
NO!

No RG50 for me! I want my Fixxer!

I want to wheelie! And stoppie! And make the homie/white trash kids fear me.

jrandom
9th August 2004, 21:05
"Sup G is dat your motabike??"

As said by short freckly white kids with ginger hair, no doubt...

Stinkwheeler
9th August 2004, 21:49
NO!

No RG50 for me! I want my Fixxer!

I want to wheelie! And stoppie! And make the homie/white trash kids fear me.

Look what you've done you irresponsible bastards. Sounds like you're convinced FXR wise (no kidding???). Take off the muffler and all the bogans/homie g's/white trash at school will definitely be impressed. It's not the size of the bike, it's how loud it is that matters with us kids.

As said by short freckly white kids with ginger hair, no doubt...

Ah they're the ones who stare at you and grunt.

Zed
9th August 2004, 22:34
There was also a CBR1000F Hurricane
In 1987 Honda released the CBR "Hurricane" in 250, 400, 600, 750, and 1000cc.

Excerpt from http://powersports.honda.com
"Some motorcycles raise the bar. Others rewrite the rules. In the 1987 sportbike game, Honda's CBR600F, better known as the 600 Hurricane, was clearly one of the latter.

The original 600 Hurricane, of course, set the tone by rewriting every rule of the sportbike game. In a single, class-defining stroke, Honda unleashed the lightest, quickest, most powerful and most versatile middleweight the world had ever seen. Moreover, the perfectly balanced Hurricane answered the needs of street riders as ably as those of racers."

Introduced along with its big brother the CBR1000F, Honda's 600 Hurricane was a revolution. The reason was clearly visible in the Hurricane's aerodynamic, full-coverage bodywork. Less visible was the technological paradigm shift that blew away every other middleweight sportbike on earth and forever changed the way sportbikes were designed and built.

tuscan
10th August 2004, 11:16
A lot of people mention that fairings can be a worry if you drop your bike while learning.

From what I've seen at uni which must have the highest concentration of FXR's in the country, the fairings on them seem to be pretty resilient. There are heaps which have obviously been dropped, mine included, and most seem to be just scratched. In comparison the CBR's and other bikes with bigger fairings have big holes and cracks. :buggerd:

aff-man
10th August 2004, 11:45
That is because when you crash a zxr/cbr/tzr/rgv(250), you do it right. Also the larger fairings means there are weaker spots near the middle. Also the bikes weigh more so more pressure it put on the fairing in an off. And lastley most fxr you see with minor scratches have been dropped at very low speeds(while learning) i am sure you can ask some KB's out there that if they were binned at a higher speed the fairings would be just as rooted.

As for a new bike hmmmm fxr are of but a vt250 is solid as. Crashed mine twice (once at +-50-60 and the other at +-25 round a corner) and it stood up to it pretty well. New mirrors cost only $25 for aftermarket ones and i think after the second incident i decided to replace one fairing $75(cheaper than reparing at $100) and sprayed the whole bike a better colour for around $200. Also has a bit of grunt if used right and with the different can i put on it, it sounded pretty mean.

riffer
10th August 2004, 11:50
Scratched fairings look cooler.

If you don't believe me, check out my profile. ;)

riffer
10th August 2004, 11:53
BTW that's the result of an 80km/hr lowside on Wellington Motorway through rush traffic.

after I replaced everything else obviously (ie forks, indicators, mirrors, windscreen, etc)

SPORK
10th August 2004, 13:01
Scratched fairings look better
I'd have to diagree with you this time... You said before that if I need setting up my bike I could call in to your place eh? If so, that would be much appreciated.

Oh, and how much did all that damage cost to fix?

jrandom
10th August 2004, 16:35

It didn't. That's a *post*-fix photo.

Lovely forks, that bike, innit. Can't get a decent pair of forks like that these days. I could just sit and look at them forks for hours, I could.

(sits and looks)

SPORK
10th August 2004, 16:43
Sorry, I was asking celticno6 about his damage. Bad quoting on my part I guess. But how expensive are the FXR's to fix?

jrandom
10th August 2004, 17:01
Sorry, I was asking celticno6 about his damage. Bad quoting on my part I guess. But how expensive are the FXR's to fix?

How long is a piece of string?

The maximum fix cost will be, say, about $2000 to buy a decent replacement one.

Other than that, it's a matter of how much replacement Suzuki parts cost. Which is 'lots'. But, being a common bike here for sale second-hand and/or partially broken item at the wreckers, you'll have an easy enough time fixing one if it breaks. No worse than anything else, for sure.

[Edit: To make the point clearly, it'll be about as cheap to fix as a bike can be. Ducatis at one end of the scale, FXRs at the other.]

tuscan
10th August 2004, 19:42
All that has been said is excellent advice.... from what i have heard an FXR seems to be a good choice.... I have an RG150 and the pluses it has over the FXR is power acceleration and top speed...... Yes im not going to say im a nana this time, but i can have my RG up with the 600's and 1000's and infront of them too....

Question for Two Smoker. Sorry guys :Offtopic:

But I just had a look at your Avatar pic and was wondering if that was at the Auckland Domain. And if so is it that really sharp hairpin-type corner? And if so, are you driving up or down the hill? And finally, how fast were you going?

I'm just trying to get an idea what sort of speeds you would be doing taking a corner like that with such a lean. :spudwhat:

:spudwave:

Two Smoker
10th August 2004, 19:52
Yep thats Auckland Domain, going up the hill, the tightest hairpin (20kmh recomended) in that photo i was doing about 60 kmh, got cocky once and tried to take it at 70kmh but lowsided :( its a bitch of a corner because it is so off camber..... most of the other corners im doing 80-120kmh.... Had a good race against a Porsche GT-3 up there one day :whistle: ........

tuscan
10th August 2004, 20:05
Yep thats Auckland Domain, going up the hill, the tightest hairpin (20kmh recomended) in that photo i was doing about 60 kmh, got cocky once and tried to take it at 70kmh but lowsided :( its a bitch of a corner because it is so off camber..... most of the other corners im doing 80-120kmh.... Had a good race against a Porsche GT-3 up there one day :whistle: ........
Ha ha, Yeah I ride through there everyday but I always end up stuck behind some slow bugger in a cage :brick:

70kmh though...shit! :doctor:

Two Smoker
10th August 2004, 20:06
Ha ha, Yeah I ride through there everyday but I always end up stuck behind some slow bugger in a cage :brick:

70kmh though...shit! :doctor:
Yeah if my tyres had been really hot i reakon i might have been sweet.... Just wait at the bottom for a nice big gap, then go hard....

10th August 2004, 20:41
Used to go through there regularly..... Now I just commute down the motorway to GI because the incidence of getting a clean run is sooo low. Wouldnt mind doing that in a hill-climb next time it is all closed though :D

SPORK
10th August 2004, 21:17
How do you guys get so fearless? I know I would be scared out of my hat about doing 70 or 40 or anything around a hairpin... Must be experience and practice. Well, I may be going to the motorcross track and stuff with my friend. And his dad may test ride an FXR for me :banana:

1 more year I think it will be untill I am all kitted out and ready to go.... SIGH

jrandom
10th August 2004, 21:48
How do you guys get so fearless?

Testosterone.

I know I would be scared out of my hat about doing 70 or 40 or anything around a hairpin...

If you get an FXR, don't even think about trying it until you get a set of BT39s on.

Must be experience and practice.

Nah. Mostly just recklessness and the vague idea that somewhere, somehow, a girl may be watching. :doobey:

riffer
10th August 2004, 22:24
I'd have to diagree with you this time... You said before that if I need setting up my bike I could call in to your place eh? If so, that would be much appreciated.

No worries madcat. send me a pm and I'll let you know my address. And jrandom's right. The bike is post-fix. I haven't got around to sanding back and repainting the fairings yet, and to be honest, it's not a real priority. The bike's a daily ride and being 17 years old and all, I'm not too fussed. Besides, all the money's gone now...

To fix the bike. Bear in mind I did almost all of the spanner work myself.

This is what was required, parts-wise, and the costs.

1. replacement forks. Mine were bent at the bottom triple clamp. $650 including cost, shipping and gst (got them from Sydney, Australia).

2. Replacement rotors. Used 1998 Yamaha XJR1200 rotors purchased off trademe.co.nz for $40 (hell bargain!!!)

3. Indicator (got for free off a workmate).

4. Mirror. Scored a 1987 GSXR750 replacement mirror from Cycleworks ($25)

5. new steering head bearings, races, wheel bearings, loctite quick metal to fix ovalisation in top steering head race socket, loctite nut lock $200 approx

6. Replacement windscreen purchased off trademe.co.nz for $25 (another bargain!!!)

7. Top and bottom tripleclamps straightened by Cycleworks ($70)

Add to that about 40 hours work in pulling off the fairings and straightening the fairing stay, replacement screws and bolts for the fairing ($20), replacement fork oil ($20), motor oil ($40), some welding of brackets (borrow mate's gear) and all in all a very expensive lesson.

Oh, add to that about $1300 of damaged riding gear that the insurance company paid for, and $250 worth of repairs to a $1500 watch that I still have to come up with, I suppose it's getting close to $3000.

All because of some injudicious lane splitting.... :wacko:

and that's why I'm kinda broke this month.

aff-man
10th August 2004, 23:00
Don't forgrt the $50 worth of beer while doing all the spannerwork!!!

madcat the thing you'll come to realise rather quickly (and if you don't you'll loose your licence) is that is is quite easy to loose yourself in the momentum of the bike and find yourself doing a corner at hahmmmmmm slightly faster pace :msn-wink: . It also depends on the bike, your yres and of course the size of your balls. Some guys are nutters and lean into everything some don't and are just as quick.

Also getting ones knee down well hmmmm T.S. is like 6ft something (arn't ya) and he is really hanging off the bike(not that i am saying it's easy), it's all down to riding styles i suppose.

andy1
11th August 2004, 00:50
Aff-man spot on bro! :niceone:

Madcat Your a lucky dude getting a bike at 15!

Yea TS i loved that piece of road, would BLAST that road nearly everyday going to the GF`s place!

Laterz

SPORK
11th August 2004, 06:11
If you get an FXR, don't even think about trying it until you get a set of BT39s on.

Believe me, I'm not! So how much does a pair of new tires cost? An expensive hobby, this, but one I am determined to get into.

I mean, hell, I brought my own electric guitar and amp at 13, and this year, I brought a brand new laptop (Had to trade it in for my pimp-machine that I am on now becasue it broke :angry2: Not that I am complaining, because the new computer is far better)

So yeah, I'm sure if I keep up my burning desire untill I am 15 and get a new job, I should have my bike and gear in no time.

BTW, do you guys think that a thousand bucks is enough to get a good set of gear?

Sorry for the sloppy grammar, it's 6am (Hail, rain, wind; not good for sleeping :angry2: )

tuscan
11th August 2004, 11:51
Yeah if my tyres had been really hot i reakon i might have been sweet.... Just wait at the bottom for a nice big gap, then go hard....
Gotta be careful though... A guy I know tried to take it about that same speed going down... ... but in a Toyota FXGT :nono:

Spun the thing at least 180 degrees. :Oops: Wouldn't have been pretty had a bike been coming the other way :sneaky2:

Dork :tugger:

SPORK
11th August 2004, 16:11
Another question...

On average, how long does a set of tires last? And does just any tire place put them on for you?

Thanks

tuscan
11th August 2004, 16:16
BTW, do you guys think that a thousand bucks is enough to get a good set of gear?

While I'm no knowledgeable man on this topic, I would say yes. :yes:

Decent jacket, on special (eg. Motomail's last sale) about $200 or so. Pants pretty similar. Gloves $50-100. Boots maybe $200. The rest should get you a pretty good helmet.

I spent $650 for the whole lot but my jacket is only soft armour and my helmet's near the bottom of the range.

There is some useful stuff on a thread I started a couple of month's ago, but I don't know how to insert a link to it :confused: If you click on my username and then 'find all threads started by tuscan' you will see it. It's at the bottom of the list. :)

jrandom
11th August 2004, 16:17
On average, how long does a set of tires last? And does just any tire place put them on for you?

Any *bike* tyre place should fit them. I got a set of Pirelli MT75s a while back. 6000km later the rear is shagged and the front should be good for another 6000. It cost me $260 for the pair, including fitting. Given the need to replace rears twice as often, and assuming you do about 12000km a year (which I do), budget about $400 a year on tyres for an FXR.

Motoracer told me today that TwoSmoker's BT39s only lasted him 1000km (urk), so I probably wouldn't put those on unless you have mucho cash to burn.

Two Smoker
11th August 2004, 16:50
Any *bike* tyre place should fit them. I got a set of Pirelli MT75s a while back. 6000km later the rear is shagged and the front should be good for another 6000. It cost me $260 for the pair, including fitting. Given the need to replace rears twice as often, and assuming you do about 12000km a year (which I do), budget about $400 a year on tyres for an FXR.

Motoracer told me today that TwoSmoker's BT39s only lasted him 1000km (urk), so I probably wouldn't put those on unless you have mucho cash to burn.LOL, a bit more than 1000kms my TT900 (which is a superior tyre to the BT39SS) lasted about 3000-3500kms.... that was with little commuting and fairly hard riding my TT900 rear cost me $240 and my BT39SS front cost me $160, very expensive but stick like shit to a blanket.....

JR the only reason your front is lasting so much longer is because of those wheelies hehehehe....

Yep Aff-man im 6 foot (exactly) and i have to hang so far off because the pegs scrap so easy..... That hairpin is the easiest corner to get your knee down because of the camber, but it is dangerous because of the camber too.... 65kmh and the back end is starting to slide :wacko:

aff-man
11th August 2004, 17:14
well i aint' gonna try it hahhaha. As for tyres man good rubber is a must it is what keeps you on the road. and gear wise look on trademe and the like. I have got half my gear second hand and half brand new. and i keep collecting when i see a good bargain. :niceone:

TS you gotta show me where this road is when i get my confidence up on the 400.

Two Smoker
11th August 2004, 17:16
well i aint' gonna try it hahhaha. As for tyres man good rubber is a must it is what keeps you on the road. and gear wise look on trademe and the like. I have got half my gear second hand and half brand new. and i keep collecting when i see a good bargain. :niceone:

TS you gotta show me where this road is when i get my confidence up on the 400.
Will do, its like Twilight road, but shorter and better quality :niceone:

jrandom
11th August 2004, 17:29
JR the only reason your front is lasting so much longer is because of those wheelies hehehehe....

It's because I'm a fat heavy barsteward and most of my riding is motorway commuting, so the rear tyre is squared right off with very little tread left across the flat bit. Unfortunately.

Motoracer
11th August 2004, 17:35
Ok, I am a bit confused here but I thought you said you got 1000kms out of your rear TS.

Two Smoker
11th August 2004, 18:33
Ok, I am a bit confused here but I thought you said you got 1000kms out of your rear TS.
Nup after 1000kms it started looking knacked, but im getting upto KK's standard of finishing off a tyre..... so its about 3000kms....

SPORK
11th August 2004, 19:07
Is this a monster of a thread or what? My first post and it turns into this, yeesh:banana:

Thanks for the info on the tires, it is actually cheaper than I thought, one of the many advantages of only having 2 wheels I 'spose.

riffer
11th August 2004, 20:02
Is this a monster of a thread or what? My first post and it turns into this, yeesh:banana:

Thanks for the info on the tires, it is actually cheaper than I thought, one of the many advantages of only having 2 wheels I 'spose.
You can get your tyres to last a while if you vary your riding too.

Most of my riding is commuting, with a bit of fun in the weekends. I run touring tyres on my bike. I have done 10,000kms, I reckon I will get about 5,000 more on the rear, which is a 160/60-18 Dunlop Sportmax 205. Probably about the same on the front, which is an IRC SP-11.

Usually the softer the tyre the better the grip. Unfortunately the by-product of grip is tyre wear. Also, the more power in your bike, the faster it will wear out the back tyre. Which is why people with ZX-12's and Hyabusa's are on very good terms with the local bike tyre fitters...

11th August 2004, 20:25
Nup after 1000kms it started looking knacked, but im getting upto KK's standard of finishing off a tyre..... so its about 3000kms....

Did you say UP to KK's standard????

SPORK
14th August 2004, 20:36
Hey, added a poll, just wondering, does anyone know what tyre places in Upper Hutt, or near do bike tyres?

Thanks

toads
15th August 2004, 08:55
Hey guys!

I am nearing 15, and me and my bike-mad friend (he does super-motard and motocross) are going for our licences soon, and I was looking on bikepoint.co.nz for a good bike, and I got some reccommendations for this bike:http://bikepoint.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBikeID=162756&TabID=3553&Alias=bikepointnz

It is a Suzuki FRX150, and I was wondering what people thought of it, the model, not that specific bike in the link. I want something to ride to school in the mornings and such, and i can pay a fair bit, up to around 5 grand, so, any advice on a first bike would be very much apprecciated.

Thanks!

I think paying up to 5k for your first bike is a little silly, as you are likely to want to get something bigger once you get your full licence anyway as well as the fact that kids at school often do stuff to flash bikes for motives I'm unclear about, probably jealousy, the best thing for taking to school is a scooter imho as noone fiddles with them. Try the fxr out and see whether you like it, they aren't that expensive new so don't think about paying 5k for it

SPORK
15th August 2004, 10:53
I think paying up to 5k for your first bike is a little silly, as you are likely to want to get something bigger once you get your full licence anyway as well as the fact that kids at school often do stuff to flash bikes for motives I'm unclear about, probably jealousy, the best thing for taking to school is a scooter imho as noone fiddles with them. Try the fxr out and see whether you like it, they aren't that expensive new so don't think about paying 5k for it

I know what you are getting at, but I was meaning 5k for the gear as well, and I won't even need to spend all that. There is already an FXR at school, and everyone leaves teh bikes alone. But like I have said before, my school is full of homies, dropkicks, white trash, and a whole lot of people you don't want around your valuable possesions...

Coyote
17th August 2004, 18:57
As for keeping your bike safe from teh homies and that, just put on some stuff that'll deter them. I heard there are some things you put in the disk brakes to stop the tyres moving, also a simple bike chain wrapped around the front tyre to stop it moving would work. And the FXR isn’t a hugely desirable bike to expert thieves too so I don’t think anyone’s going to put it on a trailer and run off. Probably the best thing to do is park it in an area, which is pretty public so that’ll also deter people. If you have the money, you could also invest in getting your bike sprayed with data dots.

カワサキキド
20th August 2004, 19:33
I couldn't decide to buy a ZXR250 or a ZR150....so I bought both.
The little two smoker is faster around town and easier to get through traffic but I always find myself riding the 250, the full fairing is especially good now in winter and also cornering and engine braking. The ZR is bloody loud too!
Just make sure you test ride all the options.

Blakamin
20th August 2004, 19:47
I know what you are getting at, but I was meaning 5k for the gear as well, and I won't even need to spend all that. There is already an FXR at school, and everyone leaves teh bikes alone. But like I have said before, my school is full of homies, dropkicks, white trash, and a whole lot of people you don't want around your valuable possesions...

hhmmm... metal head huh??? go SLAYER!!!!!!

but serious...get something you're prepared to drop/kick/burn/swear at.... coz you'll need too! :ar15:

riffer
20th August 2004, 20:40
hhmmm... metal head huh??? go SLAYER!!!!!!

but serious...get something you're prepared to drop/kick/burn/swear at.... coz you'll need too! :ar15:
Ahh. Slayer. Brings back memories of when about 30 of us chartered a bus to go up to see Metallica's And Justice for All concert. Slayers "South of Heaven" was released the day before. It got a right thrashing all the way up.

Had a great time. Scored backstage passes and got to meet and party with the band. That was back when James was still drinking. What a night :niceone:

Blakamin
20th August 2004, 21:03
Ahh. Slayer. Brings back memories of when about 30 of us chartered a bus to go up to see Metallica's And Justice for All concert. Slayers "South of Heaven" was released the day before. It got a right thrashing all the way up.

Had a great time. Scored backstage passes and got to meet and party with the band. That was back when James was still drinking. What a night :niceone:

AARRRHHGHGHGH... SLAYER!!....and MEGADETH!!!!!!!!!!!! :Punk:

riffer
20th August 2004, 21:06
AARRRHHGHGHGH... SLAYER!!....and MEGADETH!!!!!!!!!!!! :Punk:
Good to see nothing changes on the coast... :killingme

Blakamin
20th August 2004, 21:11
this is getting weird.............
on that "Justice" trip.... did you know someone in the support band??????

White trash
20th August 2004, 21:19
But like I have said before, my school is full of homies, dropkicks, white trash, and a whole lot of people you don't want around your valuable possesions...

Huh? And WTF is wrong with a little "Trash" I ask you?

Mind your manners young 'un and respect your elders, you'll go far.

Get the FXR, M/Cat, they're bloody good fun and you'll learn some good skills.

riffer
20th August 2004, 23:36
this is getting weird.............
on that "Justice" trip.... did you know someone in the support band??????
Although I did know all the guys in the support band, although not that well - you know - met at a party, other gigs, etc, that wasn't how we got backstage passes.

The drummer in our band was going out with a girl who was a music journalist. She interviewed Jason Newstead and Lars Ulrich, who gave her some passes.

We were wearing Metallica tour shirts that we'd screen printed ourselves. I swapped mine with Lars' shirt that he'd just wore for the entire gig - didn't fit me bugger it, he's a little bloke - 5'6" and about 40 kilos, so I gave it to my girlfriend - for some reason she was less impressed than she should have been...<_<

SPORK
22nd August 2004, 12:59
Argh! You lucky people... My maths teacher went to that concert as well, he is pretty cool. Justice kicks ass, and WT, i truly hope you are not like the people I call White Trash! I have plenty of manners, it is just that I haev lost all respect for people at my school; my wallet was stolen on monday, from a guy that had been expelled, then let back in... It was his first day back :ar15:

I really wish I had a fully auto BB gun, but my Glock will have to do :2guns:

Jantar
22nd August 2004, 15:37
......but serious...get something you're prepared to drop/kick/burn/swear at.... coz you'll need too! :ar15:

Dead right. A GN250, or better still a TS185. Take it both on road, and onto some paddocks somewhere. Try riding on a few gravel roads as well. You are going to crash, then you are going to crash again, and again, and........

Each crash is going to cost $$$$$$, so the less there is to damage the better. Also you will learn to control the bike in unusual circumstances, and THAT is what will save your life when some idiot in a tin top is out to get you. :scooter:

22nd August 2004, 16:23
Dead right. A GN250, or better still a TS185. Take it both on road, and onto some paddocks somewhere. Try riding on a few gravel roads as well. You are going to crash, then you are going to crash again, and again, and........

Hey... I've only crashed twice. If you have a dirt bike that you don't care about and you cane it round on gravel/paddocks you might crash often.... On the road, hopefully less so. Still, dirt biking would be valuable experience. I'm trying to ride more and more gravel roads to up my skill levels on slippery surfaces...

NC
22nd August 2004, 16:43
So you can learn about all the poo bums who don't look for bikes and pull out in front of you, get some skills up etc.

Or

You could do what I did.
I knew nothing about bikes, not even how to ride them. Like what the hell does 1 down 5 up mean? Kinda stuff...LMAO. I got my Dad to buy me a TZR250. ANd I taught myself how to ride in 30 minutes and rode it to work the next day, sweet as. 6 years later I have a problem keeping to the speed limit and I tease cops so they follow me. :wacko:

*Chews on nails :wacko:*

Badcat
22nd August 2004, 17:47
So you can learn about all the poo bums who don't look for bikes and pull out in front of you, get some skills up etc.

Or

You could do what I did.
I knew nothing about bikes, not even how to ride them. Like what the hell does 1 down 5 up mean? Kinda stuff...LMAO. I got my Dad to buy me a TZR250. ANd I taught myself how to ride in 30 minutes and rode it to work the next day, sweet as. 6 years later I have a problem keeping to the speed limit and I tease cops so they follow me. :wacko:

take a look at the vanvan 200 - i have one i use for commuting - (i also run a gs1200) - they are low and light - hold the road excellentlyand are plenty powerful enough for the open road.
the first time i rode mine (brand new) i rode straight over the AK harbour bridge at 90 kmh - and i'm 6'2 and 100 kilos.
honestly - ride one if you can.
i love mine - and i've been actively riding for more than 20 years.
actually - mine has a sweet new stainless exhaust from custom chambers now -= and next week it goes on the dyno to tune the new flatslide carb!!!
hee hee

ken

カワサキキド
22nd August 2004, 19:37
How 'bout a KRR Z150.... www.kawasaki.co.nz

SPORK
22nd August 2004, 21:16
How 'bout a KRR Z150.... www.kawasaki.co.nz
Meh, 2-Stroke... Four for me please.

Thank you sir, may I have another?

Oh, by the way... [URL]www.friendbear.com[URL/]

カワサキキド
22nd August 2004, 23:55
Go for a 250 then, ZXR or FXR (I've heard a lot of good things about the CBR but I'm allergic to hondas). The FZR is a bit quicker round town, (cause of the exup valve in the exhast) but the ZXR has more power up top.
Just make sure you get some thing with the lowest K's possible.

tuscan
23rd August 2004, 12:56

Or

You could do what I did.

I went about it in a pretty similar way. Went and did the basic handling course having never ridden a bike at all. Rode the tutor's 20 year old 2 stroke 125 round the carpark for an hour or so.

The next week went and test rode an FXR that was for sale on this site... my first time riding on the road :whistle: All went well and I bought it the week after that. Spent a day riding it all round my neighbourhood and have commuted every day on it since. :niceone:

Although it hasn't been 6 years yet :whistle:

magnum
23rd August 2004, 21:01
try the 250s first,tzr and rgv goe good[2stroke]. :devil2:

SPORK
24th August 2004, 18:02
try the 250s first,tzr and rgv goe good[2stroke]. :devil2:
Maybe... How hard to handle are 250's? I am not really thinking about getting one, just wondering...

Madmax
24th August 2004, 21:57
try the 250 2 strokes, Learned to ride in the power band pretty quik!
ride a ZX10R now but still enjoy my old H1 500 2 stroke tripple

SPORK
31st August 2004, 16:05
Further developments:

ok, I have been told that a 250 4 stroke like a ZZR250 would be a good choice, what does anyone else think?

My Grampy is letting me ride his AG200 around now, wahoo!

jrandom
31st August 2004, 16:17
ok, I have been told that a 250 4 stroke like a ZZR250 would be a good choice, what does anyone else think?

A ZZR250 (250cc four-stroke twin) in decent nick will cost you a grand or so more than an FXR and probably make just over 30bhp, as opposed to the FXR's 20 or so.

Not a bad deal, really. I'd buy one if I found it for a good price.

The four cylinder, four-stroke 250s will make up to 40 and a bit ponies, but even rather clapped-out examples cost too much money these days to be a sensible option for a learner, IMHO.

SPORK
31st August 2004, 16:43
One of the deals I saw from a dealer (ha! no pun intended) was taht it was $4200 with a full set of leathers, helmet, boots, gloves, and all that lovely gear. It seems like a good deal to me, but I need more opinions before I will do anything

aff-man
31st August 2004, 17:08
ZZR 250 is a good reliable easy bike to ride. But completley gutless. It's way to heavy for the hp it's putting out you would be better on an fxr150 mate if looking for acceleration.If you not to fussed and just want a smooth ride i'd go with the bikker bore zzr cause it could be fun (mate of mine had one and could ride it's nuts off fairly effectivley)

SPORK
31st August 2004, 18:38
Had a look on trademe, and found this: it may be a bit scratched up, but for a grand... http://trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Road-bikes/Sports-tourer/auction-15294560.htm

Blakamin
31st August 2004, 18:42
Had a look on trademe, and found this: it may be a bit scratched up, but for a grand... http://trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Road-bikes/Sports-tourer/auction-15294560.htm

that one has been 4sale for a while.... wonder why?

wouldve taken some pressure to put a dent like that in the tank! wonder if it hurt anything else?

SPORK
31st August 2004, 19:19
that one has been 4sale for a while.... wonder why?

wouldve taken some pressure to put a dent like that in the tank! wonder if it hurt anything else?

Well, that would solve the not being sold question then! I was also thinking about maybe an FZR250, they look so badass! :sunny:

riffer
31st August 2004, 20:22
Well, that would solve the not being sold question then! I was also thinking about maybe an FZR250, they look so badass! :sunny:
I've passed what looks to be a ZXR250 on the Whitby Road (the one that goes from Haywards Hill to Paremata round the bay) all week.

I will try to avoid the temptation to go round the 35km/h corner at 110 to stop and have a look at it tomorrow - I'll report on price etc...

SPORK
31st August 2004, 20:46
I've passed what looks to be a ZXR250 on the Whitby Road (the one that goes from Haywards Hill to Paremata round the bay) all week.

I will try to avoid the temptation to go round the 35km/h corner at 110 to stop and have a look at it tomorrow - I'll report on price etc...

Hahaha! I saw that on the way back from the Buckets! We were like, oh! a bike for sale! And thanks for that!

mini_me
6th September 2004, 20:56
2 stroke 250s have some serious power for a 250
the 1990 rgv has 58 horse and only weighs 128 kilos

my zxr has 45 horse to 141 kilo and [being new to riding] that pulls well and truly fast enuff for me

i wasnt allowed to get a 2 stroke 250 for my first bike,
spent a whole 6 months looking at the market b4 the rite bike came along
an 89 zxr 250
(thanks aff-man )
:not: :not:

SPORK
7th September 2004, 17:42
2 stroke 250s have some serious power for a 250
the 1990 rgv has 58 horse and only weighs 128 kilos

my zxr has 45 horse to 141 kilo and [being new to riding] that pulls well and truly fast enuff for me

i wasnt allowed to get a 2 stroke 250 for my first bike,
spent a whole 6 months looking at the market b4 the rite bike came along
an 89 zxr 250
(thanks aff-man )
:not: :not:

So how do you think it rides for a first bike? Is it stable? Easy to ride?

aff-man
7th September 2004, 18:19
no worries and if you have the time i could harp on about the brilliant qualitites of a zxr 250 for hours. Seriously though, handels great, got enough oomph (once beat a harley .......... bet he was surprised to find out it was a 250 hehehe) pretty good on gas. The only bad thing i have to say about them is that the bike wants you to ride it. Basically that means it litterally begs for revs and when cornering dips in. Depending on what tyres you have is the degree of this, for instance the tyres on mini_mi's zxr tip in quite quickly which means you can throw the bike around corners. If you need to know more ask 6chris6 me and him took our two zxr250's over the kopu's, he saw some of the stuff mine can do so ask.FF also knows how 250's ride cause he has been on many a ride with a young lad on a zxr 250. (me and andrew hahaha)

avgas
11th November 2004, 06:10
yeh it really depends if you have any riding skils first - if not one of those 125's that are built like a shit brick house is where you should start. No doubt you will get some terrible lesson from from someone saying...."OK, now pull in the clutch, change to neutral, slowly pull in the break.....***BANG***"....and there will be a bent footpeg and some paint on the ground. If you do that on someother bike - expect a repair bill for some fairings, indicators, mirrors...blah blah. If you have a little skills then the FXR is a good 1st bike. brilliant if your poor as these bike can sit on 150kmh (all day) and still get over 22ks/L. But please change the tyres - those carbon jobs that come standard are dangerous. Also the newer the bike the better - hense the 250 are prob gettn a little old for a 1st bike.

SPORK
11th November 2004, 08:24
Hmm, well, since the start of this thread, my riding skills (ha!) have inproved no end. I will probably be getting a nice Honda Hornet 250, with twin pipes (ahhh), or a 250 sports bike. I'm going to get some practice riding two strokes on Alarumba's KX, so I may even get an RG150 if I'm feeling adventurous. Of course, then there is the whole Two Stroke mechanical side of things that I am not looking forward to.

I know how to ride pretty well now, and I feel rather confident riding the ol' AG200, no sweat.

Coyote
20th November 2004, 17:20
Hmm, well, since the start of this thread, my riding skills (ha!) have inproved no end. I will probably be getting a nice Honda Hornet 250, with twin pipes (ahhh), or a 250 sports bike. I'm going to get some practice riding two strokes on Alarumba's KX, so I may even get an RG150 if I'm feeling adventurous. Of course, then there is the whole Two Stroke mechanical side of things that I am not looking forward to.

I know how to ride pretty well now, and I feel rather confident riding the ol' AG200, no sweat.

And now there is the CBR to test ride:2thumbsup

Ghost Lemur
20th November 2004, 17:37
And now there is the CBR to test ride:2thumbsup

Congrats. When do we get to see some pics of your new baby?

Coyote
21st November 2004, 17:13
Congrats. When do we get to see some pics of your new baby?

As soon as I find a camera on the side of the road or a friend lends me one.

inlinefour
27th January 2005, 23:44
Welcome and enjoy :banana:
and get a Fireblade ya woss :yes: