PDA

View Full Version : WET LEATHERS

Quasievil
8th August 2004, 08:44
Hey people, I not long ago got my first pair of leathers, question is whats the deal if they get wet, just dry them ? do they change size? do you wear your leathers if its raining ?
just curious, Im riding today would prefer to wear leather as its more comfy
let me know cheers:msn-wink:

moko
8th August 2004, 09:21
Leather`s a bitch to dry out mate and it`s none too waterproof in the first place.I only wear a leather jacket but I always carry a lightweight waterproof with me.Whatever you do dont stick it in front of a heater or something to dry out,it`ll go from "not very" waterproof to "leaks like a sieve".You`ll be fine in a light shower but in "N.Z. Downpour/Brit typical Summer`s day weather you`re better off wearing something over the top of your leathers or you`ll get home feeling like you`re wearing something made of blotting paper.

toads
8th August 2004, 10:17
Leather`s a bitch to dry out mate and it`s none too waterproof in the first place.I only wear a leather jacket but I always carry a lightweight waterproof with me.Whatever you do dont stick it in front of a heater or something to dry out,it`ll go from "not very" waterproof to "leaks like a sieve".You`ll be fine in a light shower but in "N.Z. Downpour/Brit typical Summer`s day weather you`re better off wearing something over the top of your leathers or you`ll get home feeling like you`re wearing something made of blotting paper.

you forgot to mention leather gets heavier and heavier as it gets wet, urrrgghh

Mongoose
8th August 2004, 11:22
Leathers by themselves are not witerproof, as others have said, but you can improve this somewhat with a bit of care.
The lady that hand carved my leather pants told me NOT to use the likes of dubbin on them how ever. She recomended a bees wax water proofing simular to what the wanks on planks use(Ooops, skiers). Her reasoning was that dubbin can be left, not soaked into the leather, thus causing pockets that actually trap water near the stitching making it rot out.
The bees wax does work fairly well, although continuous down pour rian will washit away and soak the leathers.
Best idea is to warm the leathers, either infront of a fire r with your Doris's hair dryer if you are in a rush. Make sure it soaks in though.

mccool
9th August 2004, 19:16
You have to let them dry out slowly. If you use a lot of heat you get white salty marks and they go brittle over time. I've never known them to shrink. Wet leathers on the bike = death. They get dangerously cold. I've never found a waterproofer that works. My solution if the weather looks dodgy - a cheap set of waterproofs tied on the saddle ($25 Warehouse).

Mongoose
9th August 2004, 20:55
You have to let them dry out slowly. If you use a lot of heat you get white salty marks and they go brittle over time. I've never known them to shrink. Wet leathers on the bike = death. They get dangerously cold. I've never found a waterproofer that works. My solution if the weather looks dodgy - a cheap set of waterproofs tied on the saddle ($25 Warehouse).

Damn straight, but you can make them shower proof. I would sooner not have plastics on if i dont need them so unless its going to absolutely piss down I make do with the bees waxing. Mind you, apart from preserving your leather, it has to be done reasonabley regularly. Not that its a big task and can be done inside at night anyway

mattt
9th August 2004, 22:17
Wet weather gear (1 piece) cost a fraction of what your leathers cost, so it just makes sense to buy a set. Similar to insurance I guess :msn-wink:

Mongoose
10th August 2004, 08:18
Wet weather gear (1 piece) cost a fraction of what your leathers cost, so it just makes sense to buy a set. Similar to insurance I guess :msn-wink:

For added comfort try those rubber over boots. Fugly to look at but hell, keeps the tootsies dry and warm. Wee trick though, if you use them, use a plastic shopping bag over your boot first, makes the rubber over boot slip on soooo much easier.

loosebruce
10th August 2004, 19:40
Sno-Seal is the stuff for leathers so i've been told. Otherwise i just have a dri rider 2 pc strom suit for less than a hundy, and does the trick no worries.