PDA

View Full Version : Needing a new jacket - any recommendations?

Ms Piggy
12th February 2007, 16:46
Okay my ole faitherful motorbike jacket has given up the ghost, well actually the zip is stuffed but I've had since I started riding in Dec 2003 and had a couple of off's since then...

...anywaaaaay, I'm about to become a poor student for 1 last year and so I'm looking for a decent codoura (not leather) jacket that's not too expensive but is good for someone that mostly rides around town but does a bit of long distance riding. I can't wait until Quasi etc come down in March.

What d'ya reckon?

Oh yeah - I don't want the same one cos it never really was a great fit anyway.

dawnrazor
12th February 2007, 17:00
I suspect your budget will dictate the choices you'll have to consider...but if you can find IXON gear in your neck of the woods, then try some on...I reckon they are a great bang for your buck, and are inexpensive (compared to other brands) and very well made...

hazzy
12th February 2007, 17:10
I can supply you with a leather jacket for 280 + 15 shipping, check this thread:

here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=43306)

apteryx_haasti
12th February 2007, 17:34
I absolutely love my Teknic jacket (cordura) I got from WMCC.

Zip out lining and armour including back protector. Plus, best of all, it actually is waterproof like they say it is!

I don't know what style it is, but it is a ladies one and has RN 84928 on the bottom of the interior label. Did I mention it's actually waterproof?

Wasp
12th February 2007, 17:36
Go see Stew at TSS, tell him Doug sent ya

Nasty
12th February 2007, 17:45
Reasonable price I went to Boyles .. he has some ok gear .. not the prettiest .. but also not the most expensive my jacket was around the 180 mark and he also got me the right size which most the others didn't have ... oh well its another option.

James Deuce
12th February 2007, 17:48
Anything made by Clover. They do some fantastic women's gear that will fit properly.

Colapop
12th February 2007, 18:33
Quasimoto do Codura AND I understand there's a display (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=43082) coming up...

Indiana_Jones
12th February 2007, 20:14
My Spyke Cosmo is pretty cool, has a cell phone pocket :D

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Helmets-clothing-footwear/Leathers-jackets/auction-85460677.htm

-Indy

Pwalo
14th February 2007, 11:33
I've got a size 38 (small) Dri Rider Nordic jacket that you could have a look at.

Shouted myself a Teknic Sprint last year.

mazz1972
14th February 2007, 14:57
Go see Stew at TSS, tell him Doug sent ya

I agree, we got our gear from Stew and he couldn't have been more helpful.

Hubby has an Rjays Evo jacket and he LOVES it. Not cheap at $400, but it's a hell of a comfy jacket.

magicfairy
14th February 2007, 16:04
I have a ladies size 12 Teknic Sequouia (they are big sizes I am usually a 14) free to a good home as I just bought a new jacket in OZ.
It has a tiny hole in sleeve (covered with Kiwibiker patch) where I touched exhuast but I have never had an off in it. The hole is just in fabric, the water proof layer underneath still intact.
The rest is all fine. Has the thermal liner that zips out.
PM me if you'd like it. Free.

Moxy
14th February 2007, 16:31
if you can find IXON gear in your neck of the woods, then try some on...I reckon they are a great bang for your buck, and are inexpensive (compared to other brands) and very well made...

Yup, I recently bought the IXON Progress leather/cordura combo jacket. It's for sure the shizz. I've been in the rain wearing it a couple times, no leakage, it's not bulky like my other DRIRIDER tourer jacket, and it's good to wear everywhere.

Quasievil
14th February 2007, 20:23
Hey Celtic, for $125 + Courier you can take one of my Cordura ones if you want ? its got all the right things in the right places and is bloody nice.
Was $280 but for you its got to be super special price !!
Let me know if you are keen.

Colapop
14th February 2007, 20:25
Get it!! If I had the dosh I would!

Santa
19th February 2007, 14:55
Hey Celtic, for $125 + Courier you can take one of my Cordura ones if you want ? its got all the right things in the right places and is bloody nice.
Was $280 but for you its got to be super special price !!
Let me know if you are keen.

Hey Quasi Im new here so Id understand if the price wasn't quite so special but Im just getting into biking so also after some gear. Have read only good things about your stuff and Im quite interested. Im in the same student boat and Im just wondering if you have any cheap end of line stuff (jacket, pants, boots, gloves) going at the moment?

surfer
19th February 2007, 15:06
Okay my ole faitherful motorbike jacket has given up the ghost, well actually the zip is stuffed but I've had since I started riding in Dec 2003 and had a couple of off's since then...

...anywaaaaay, I'm about to become a poor student for 1 last year and so I'm looking for a decent codoura (not leather) jacket that's not too expensive but is good for someone that mostly rides around town but does a bit of long distance riding. I can't wait until Quasi etc come down in March.

What d'ya reckon?

Oh yeah - I don't want the same one cos it never really was a great fit anyway.

Stick a new zip in and it will be as good as new, well almost as you've been sliding around in it. At least you know it works.

MikeyG
19th February 2007, 15:55
Go to all the shops.

Try on all makes and models.

Pick the one that fits best and you are most comfortable in.

I'm told bike shops love it when you come in just to try stuff on.

ynot slow
19th February 2007, 17:51
hi i bought neo jacket and pants,tried them on didn't even realise they were both same make,also i didn't really look at price too much mind you did walk out with above items,hgc lid and spidi gloves for less than $700,if you talk turkey they have enough mark up to give good discount,also sit on a bike similar to your own to get idea of comfort if you haven't got your bike with you at the time,take your time it's not easy.

Colapop
19th February 2007, 18:42
Hey Quasi Im new here so Id understand if the price wasn't quite so special but Im just getting into biking so also after some gear. Have read only good things about your stuff and Im quite interested. Im in the same student boat and Im just wondering if you have any cheap end of line stuff (jacket, pants, boots, gloves) going at the moment?
If you want to catch Quasi without waiting to see if he shows up, it'd be best to email him through the Quasimoto website - www.quasimoto.co.nz

Santa
19th February 2007, 19:14
If you want to catch Quasi without waiting to see if he shows up, it'd be best to email him through the Quasimoto website - www.quasimoto.co.nz

Thanks for that will do. This is turning into a bit of a hijack but I have just a few more questions. Im leaning towards cordura (its waterproof, easier to fold away, more casual looking) but am just wondering what advantages leather holds (most riders seem to stay with leather)?. What is a 'safe' amount to spend on a helmet? What brands other than HJC are semi-reputable?

Ms Piggy
19th February 2007, 21:40
Well I've been to a couple of shops - my only transport is my bike, so I'm a bit limited to where I can go.

I had a very varied experience but neither had women's jackets in my size (I ain't a small lass). Anyway 1 shop was really helpful, informative and has ordered me a couple of jackets in to try on. The other shop was friendly but more interested in talking tattoos than helping me find a good jacket.

So it's a bit of wait and see *siiiiiiiiigh*

ravenfeeder
23rd February 2007, 03:03
I was wondering the same thing Santa - whats better overall for round town - in the long term (remember am newbie at this time - so some long rides will come) Cordura or leather. Kind of feel better to go for the best first up as then have it, but there appears to be mixed views on Leather VS Cordura. Mind you leather seems to be winning in the stakes so far and my preference but is just the price i guess:)

Celtic i am in the same boat as you i feel, as am a bit of a strapping kiwi lass and problem is most are made in smaller or unflattering fittings - would be really interested to see how you go and what brands you found best, cost, fit, sizing etc. :cool:

James Deuce
23rd February 2007, 09:03
Cordura is much better for commuting. It will dry in a couple of hours and most jackets have removable liners and zippable vents so you can use it all year round.

Make sure that you either buy a jacket with a hard thermoplastic segmented back protector built in or buy a separate back protector you wear under your jacket. PM Quasimoto to buy the best value one available.

Cordura is no less safe than leather, it's just that it can only take ONE contact with tarmac and it needs to be replaced.

Enervation
7th March 2007, 17:08
Hi Quasi, just wondering if you have any size 40 (or maybe even 38) cordura jackets, that you'd be willing to offer a similar deal on? I'm also in the student situation, having just spent my summer savings on my first bike - gsxr250.

paturoa
7th March 2007, 17:17
I don't recommend Fieldsheer (sp?) jackets, mine fecking leaks like a thing with big holes in it!

Quasievil
7th March 2007, 21:00
Hi Quasi, just wondering if you have any size 40 (or maybe even 38) cordura jackets, that you'd be willing to offer a similar deal on? I'm also in the student situation, having just spent my summer savings on my first bike - gsxr250.

Hi Yeah mate , I can do one for a great deal for you !!
Im all ears $150 would be a good price .........you agree ?

Enervation
13th March 2007, 09:57
Sounds great :)
I've fired a PM your way.