PDA

View Full Version : F'in low profile tyres.

Lou Girardin
12th February 2007, 16:56
On the cage that is. We went up to Bic Rungas show on Sunday, and returned via Woodcocks Rd. About 2 km's into SH16 I hit a major pothole. The next morning the tyre was flat and investigation showed the sidewall was pinched against the rim.
There wasn't much life left so I put two new Barums on.
I noticed a slight steering wheel shimmy today, so I went back to the tyre guy, who then told me that the rim was bent.
Bollocks!
$180 to straighten it. Better than a new one I guess.
It's my own stupid fault, but the older high profile rubber was a lot more forgiving of stupidity than these 45 series tyres.

Madness
12th February 2007, 16:59
I'm constantly amazed at the number of cagers running low-profile tyres with sweet f.a pressure in them. Ya might as well just paint the outside of the rims black & go without the rubber.

bane
12th February 2007, 17:13
did something similar in a car I owned (still under manufacturers warranty) - Id only had the car a week and in driving rain, drove into a deep pot hole the rain had caused, at ~80kph. Stopped, but tyre and rim looked fine - however car felt a little strange.

Got it home, jacked it up and noticed that the front wheel free drop was about 5cm different compared to the side that didnt hit the pothole - yep suspension damage.

Luckily, was all replaced under manufacturer's warranty, got away with it because there was no damage to tyre or wheel.

Clivoris
12th February 2007, 17:14
I'm constantly amazed at the number of cagers running low-profile tyres with sweet f.a pressure in them. Ya might as well just paint the outside of the rims black & go without the rubber.

:shifty: Yeah. Stupid fucking cagers...but not you Lou:shutup:

aderino4
12th February 2007, 18:17
Lol.. I'm running 225/35/18 tyres and there's bugger all sidewall in that one.
Basically as long as you run tyres with strong sidewall and strong wheels you'll be fine.

The enemy is a square hole, I hit on not long ago and now I had an egg on my tyre; which means the steel belt has been compromised.

Time to save up and replace the tyres again :sick:

The Pastor
12th February 2007, 19:36
Just dont hit pot holes??

Motu
13th February 2007, 06:48
I see a hell of a lot of tyre and rim damage with low profile tyres,there is no margin with them...hit something and they are gone.I just love failing the wannabes on a Wof - ''But they have only been on 2 weeks and cost $***!!''.Then the wankers come back with a second hand non directional and I fail them again.....then they come back with an assemetric on and I fail them again...then they come back....and I fail them on the cracked rim.

Crisis management
13th February 2007, 06:58
Just another reason to keep the SUV!

Finn
13th February 2007, 07:01
Lou, aren't you a little too mature for a boy racers car? What you need is an SUV with big tires. They work well in those situations.

Finn
13th February 2007, 07:04
I see a hell of a lot of tyre and rim damage with low profile tyres,there is no margin with them...hit something and they are gone.I just love failing the wannabes on a Wof - ''But they have only been on 2 weeks and cost $***!!''.Then the wankers come back with a second hand non directional and I fail them again.....then they come back with an assemetric on and I fail them again...then they come back....and I fail them on the cracked rim.

You're more of a prick than I am. Do you do CoF?

Lou, aren't you a little too mature for a boy racers car? What you need is an SUV with big tires. They work well in those situations.

either that or staying outta the ghetto...

avgas
13th February 2007, 07:22
What about p-zero's? same problem?

Swoop
13th February 2007, 16:44
Run 4 X space saver tyres. Less width profile, but more depth.
Seems most Auckland drivers are running at least one....