PDA

View Full Version : Leather alterations in Wellington?

BurningPlastic
12th February 2007, 22:18
I've just got a new leather jacket and I'm having my usual issue with it - since I have wide shoulders, it's impossible to find a non-tailored jacket that fits me properly around my body. (I tried the size down when buying and I couldn't even do it up with just a T-shirt on, and that was the best fit out of all of the ones I could find).

So... does anyone know of a place in Wellington that can do leather alterations at a reasonable price?

Cheers,

Dan.

Nasty
13th February 2007, 05:20
There is a place in Porirua that does leather ... I think he has ok prices ... don't know the name .. but is not in the mall but oppposite the police station.

Darkman
13th February 2007, 05:51
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~integra/leda_05/pages/contact.htm

Hawkeye
13th February 2007, 06:16
I got my jacket repaired about 3 month ago. Used the guys in Wellington train station. The place that has all the bags and cases outside. (right hand side as you head out of the station). They did a brilliant job and I found them very reasonable.

Colapop
13th February 2007, 06:34
The Leather Shop is the place in Porirua - opposite the court house & Police station

bert_is_evil
13th February 2007, 07:30
I went to the place in the train station to alter some pants, had to take them back as they didn't do what I'd asked them to do, the second time was a bit better but still not what I wanted. Having said that what they did do was very tidy and at a reasonable price.

madmal64
13th February 2007, 07:52
I can reccomend the Leather Shop in Porirua also.
Reasonable prices and good service

Quasievil
13th February 2007, 07:54
Mate im not sure you can get extra width in the shoulder added in, it would mean a major alteration to the Jacket and Im thinking it will end up as a bit of a mess, just my pennies worth.............I have kinda been there done that kinda thing
Good luck!

BurningPlastic
13th February 2007, 12:49
I bought the jacket so the shoulders and arms fit pretty well - it's just that the body is a bit too loose.

I'm also asking the place I got the jacket if they can get a couple of samples of the size below in so I can see if there is one that fits better - the slight variation in size between jackets might mean that there is a smaller one that'll work for me.

smmudd83_1999
21st October 2016, 11:19
I got my jacket repaired about 3 month ago. Used the guys in Wellington train station. The place that has all the bags and cases outside. (right hand side as you head out of the station). They did a brilliant job and I found them very reasonable.

Would that be LESVOS?

I have found those guys to be a problem.
I have a one piece race suit and I had decided to add a back protector into the suit (as it didn't have a an existing pocket and I didn't want a strap on back protector). So I went in to see them, explained the issue, put the suit on and positioned the back protector.

They did the job.

But instead of sewing the back protector into the lining, THEY STITCHED ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE OUTER LEATHER, perforating it. So I have an ovular stitch pattern on my back for no apparent reason. And within a month the stitching started to fray because they used cheap shitty thread to sew through 1.4g cowhide....they did a cheap and shit job. And there's no fixing it now it's done.

They should stick to fixing zips on handbags and leave real motorcycle kit alone as it's beyond them.

Coldrider
21st October 2016, 15:48
That's good, the OP has had nine and a year's not to go there, let's just hope.

HenryDorsetCase
21st October 2016, 21:14
in nine years OP has stopped exercising, sold his bike, gotten a mortgage, had two kids and now works in "accounts" at a medium size firm in town. He commutes on the unit, and occasionally spies the leather jacket he had altered to fit back in the day, and which one day he will wear again when he gets to be assistant under manager in accounts, and he can finally buy that Harley he always secretly wanted. He kept the number of the guys that did the alterations to the jacket, because, well, lets just say a diet of stress and Wellington Railway station pies and four Tuis at night when he gets home mean that his shoulder and his middle are about the same size now. Thats OK though he can get his jacket altered back when he gets the fringes put on it for the Harley.

mossy1200
21st October 2016, 22:25
in nine years OP has stopped exercising, sold his bike, gotten a mortgage, had two kids and now works in "accounts" at a medium size firm in town. He commutes on the unit, and occasionally spies the leather jacket he had altered to fit back in the day, and which one day he will wear again when he gets to be assistant under manager in accounts, and he can finally buy that Harley he always secretly wanted. He kept the number of the guys that did the alterations to the jacket, because, well, lets just say a diet of stress and Wellington Railway station pies and four Tuis at night when he gets home mean that his shoulder and his middle are about the same size now. Thats OK though he can get his jacket altered back when he gets the fringes put on it for the Harley.

I think they sow a line of tassels in to hide the addition of added panels.

PrincessBandit
23rd October 2016, 17:36
I think they sow a line of tassels in to hide the addition of added panels.

That would be "sew" , unless you are making a "hog" joke :whistle:

Hemi Makutu
23rd October 2016, 18:16
Pig skin is harum.. & not to be used as a comedy football.. ah, wait on..

Anyhow..

HOG members would bristle at the suggestion of such fun being had.. at their chops..